something to do with wanting his jokes to be read by more than 15 people probably
" b e s t "
im famous on alt-right twitter now

i thought i was being generous in saying "well if you're gonna say stalin killed X amount of people, you should include the amount of people stalin saved" but it appears even then you still need to excavate nazism to be a good anti-communist

(of course, stalin didn't kill anyone, yezhov did)
I have yet to find one crime that Stalin committed.
Stalins not actually real.
edit

Edited by marimite ()

Keven posted:

catchphrase

Actually that's just another example of my already established catchphrase, claiming things aren't real.
[account deactivated]
the worst casualty of twitter is william gibson who turned out to be an uncool liberal nerd retweeting third culture wonder-of-science idiots.

ilmdge posted:

we all follow turing police righT? how is this guy not a zzoner

i would discourage him from posting here, not because of his direct attacks on fellow krew but to maintain the Fail AIDS quarantine around this site

slipdisco posted:

the worst casualty of twitter is william gibson who turned out to be an uncool liberal nerd retweeting third culture wonder-of-science idiots.

gibson sustained irreversable feedback damage to his brain when he ran up against twitter's black ICE

tears posted:

slipdisco posted:

gibson sustained irreversable feedback damage to his brain when he ran up against twitter's black ICE

The Dixie Timeline

Keven posted:

hey Mitch
Do you really really, really, wanna go hard?
Go in the crib
Steal your stepfather's library card
And take the car
Do circles in the parking lot
sing at the top of your lungs like
Sta Sta Sta
Sta Sta Sta Sta Sta Sta
Read Losurdo.

[account deactivated]
the issue isn't so much epigenetics but with a jewish person in america claiming to be a third generation holocaust survivor or whatever ("i live with that DNA"), which is all but downplaying the sufferings of the actual ("first generation") victims of the holocaust. the contrast between the status of most jewish people in america today and what jews in europe endured is what makes it a form of downplaying, imo, as there's simply no comparison. it does seem very odd for someone to have to "live with that DNA" when we're talking about the life of a single grandparent when you have thousands of years of slavery and feudalism in human society, and people are still able to make major advances in short periods of times. before the holocaust even, their jewish relatives (i didnt read the rest of the thread but saw that they mentioned they were polish) would have had to endure the pogromist oppression of tsarism as well. before that, they would have had to deal with being chased out of western europe by medieval anti-semitism. i'll sound presumptuous saying this because no one in my family was a victim of the holocaust (although someone was imprisoned in a nazi camp and they wound up committing suicide later in life), but i imagine if katie said this to their grandma, after using their suffering for their personal brand on social media, they'd be slapped for such chutzpah.

e: i have recieved the obligatory blessings of agreement from a (paternally) jewish comrade

Edited by marlax78 ()

My jewish karelian grandgrandparents escaped from those horrible tsarist pogroms and i have to live with this very DNA to this very day. Also im not jewish enough to get israeri settler-colonial freestyle passport i have to live with this very dna every day
My jewish karelian grandgrandparents escaped from those horrible tsarist pogroms and i have to live with this very DNA to this very day. Also im not jewish enough to get israeri settler-colonial freestyle passport i have to live with this very dna every day

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

Isn't epigenetics real

cue Keven - nothing is real.
at the birth of every new field there are speculations, some more stupid than others. 'epigenetics' is the new pop lamarckism. if epigenetics is 'real', it still doesn't follow that adaptations can be inherited. even if it did, inheritance of 'mental make-up' is the sort of nonsense that leads to rationalist IQ crap or mystical Jungian personality types. that's not how epigenetics work, even if we extrapolate from what little we know.
marlax, she is not comparing her 'suffering' to her grandparents. she is saying she has inherited some sort of sensitivity to the horror of holocaust from her grandparents. this is, again, manifest nonsense that leads to horrors like Assasin's Kreed.
for more shitty evolutionary speculations, see this thread.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
even if epigenetics as a theory pans out in the wildest possible way it has nothing to do with lamarckism or lysenko or inherited memories
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
that doesn't seem necessary
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
toyotakun, if you notice i linked to the tpaine post in that thread. that was the point the discussion of ideology tipped into the fatalism of genes. comparative ethology is useful. i appreciate your effort to understand humans as one species among others, but the way you went about it in that thread... sorry for calling it shitty but it was fatalistic.
i wouldn't speculate in public with my meagre knowledge of epigenetics but the pop version is pure new age ideology. plz notice how AZIZOT brought it up, as if appealing to the reality of epigenetics was enough. he/she then linked to an article on Jung and brought up an anthropology book big in the ancient aliens scene.
the comparison of that woman's tweet being justified through epigenetics to assasin's creed is completely valid - it is a story about a guy whose ancestor's world is accessed through his DNA. a similar (possibly the most believable of them all) genetic regression is depicted in the psychedelic classic altered states as well. There is no difference in evolutionary assumptions in hollywood pseudoscience and her tweet.
i am just asking you, as i did in your thread, that if your idea of evolution lines up with tpaine's fatalism or your idea of epigenetics lines up with new agers, maybe rethink it. i will not comment on the science (that would take all week) but may i make a semantic suggestion - your argument in that thread would gain a lot from differentiating caste and class.
at first glance i figured the tweeter was suggesting the general category of transgenerational trauma, if probably mistakenly rooting it in genetics. but then again, that page includes a linked paper suggesting possible epigenetic transmission.

as always in the human sciences, it's practically guaranteed not to be the sole factor, but i don't see any reason to dismiss it out of hand
know who else takes transgenerational trauma seriously?

the church!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church posted:

III. ORIGINAL SIN

404 How did the sin of Adam become the sin of all his descendants? The whole human race is in Adam "as one body of one man". By this "unity of the human race" all men are implicated in Adam's sin, as all are implicated in Christ's justice. Still, the transmission of original sin is a mystery that we cannot fully understand. But we do know by Revelation that Adam had received original holiness and justice not for himself alone, but for all human nature. By yielding to the tempter, Adam and Eve committed a personal sin, but this sin affected the human nature that they would then transmit in a fallen state. It is a sin which will be transmitted by propagation to all mankind, that is, by the transmission of a human nature deprived of original holiness and justice. And that is why original sin is called "sin" only in an analogical sense: it is a sin "contracted" and not "committed" - a state and not an act.

405 Although it is proper to each individual, original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam's descendants. It is a deprivation of original holiness and justice, but human nature has not been totally corrupted: it is wounded in the natural powers proper to it, subject to ignorance, suffering and the dominion of death, and inclined to sin

408 The consequences of original sin and of all men's personal sins put the world as a whole in the sinful condition aptly described in St. John's expression, "the sin of the world". This expression can also refer to the negative influence exerted on people by communal situations and social structures that are the fruit of men's sins.

Edited by Constantignoble ()

the new meme is marcyists and maoists accusing each other of being crypto-trots
the maoists are being crypto trot
No science is real, but some science is less real than others.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]