i was thinking about south park/the simpsons when they came out and how they were Controversial but only for the most irrelevant reasons, like holy shit it's the year 1990 and bart simpson said "damn" on tv. but the sucess of these programs was always predicated on their performative subversion. homer could criticise organized religion, but at the end of the day, the union was always as corrupt as the capitalist
[account deactivated]
dont have cow

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i was thinking about south park/the simpsons when they came out and how they were Controversial but only for the most irrelevant reasons, like holy shit it's the year 1990 and bart simpson said "damn" on tv. but the sucess of these programs was always predicated on their performative subversion. homer could criticise organized religion, but at the end of the day, the union was always as corrupt as the capitalist

i dont think the thesis of last exit to springfield was "unions are bad" so much as "even a cartoon buffoon can stand up to capital if the people unite"

i guess there was that hoffa joke but it's outweighed by the entire rest of the episode imo
i think the important thing to remember about the simpsons is that homer sort of became the image onto which harvard educated comedy writers projected their ideas of what the "average american" is like
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

if anything homer wasn't idiotic enough

thanks, zizek

[account deactivated]
An MTW perspective on Frank grimes, page 1/497
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I watched some of the most recent season out of morbid curiosity and it really wasnt any worse than I remember it being when I stopped watching in the late 90s
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Holy shit.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Disappearing Backwards Into Bushes: What The Simpsons Animated Gif Images Reveal About The Mass Psychology of Late Capitalism

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

alice cooper is a born again christian, KISS thinks taking the knee isn't very rock n roll, henry rollins did one uso tour 20 years ago and immediately became a nazi punk

i'm sure all three have guess starred on the simpsons at some point

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
jesus christ i saw a sudden explosion of new posts in the korea thread and felt my stomach turn oh god has war started but no, no you fuckers just saw a tv show. god damnit.

roseweird posted:

you can just watch cartoons without acting like you're thinking really hard about them, it's fine

No!!!!!

[account deactivated]
Clearly they need to start with the media
if corbyn's plan is to get the US to impose UN sanctions on the UK i am 100% in support
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
"DO you want to be pretty?" asks a teasing male voice. "dO you want to lose weight?" Such is the enticing introduction to a recent radio show aimed at North Koreans, "Lets Learn Market Economics". After a jaunty jingle and a skit about how falling in love will make the listener healthier and leaner, the remaining half-hour is devoted to a worthy, but rather less gripping, profile of a successful South Korean businessman.
US propaganda department: now the thought that millions of north koreans are coming home form their job as actors fooling western tourists in pyongyang to listen to our neo-classical economics podcast on yankee.fm might seem implausable, but, get this, we also call them fat and ugly
everyone in north korea is an actor

this, however, is legit https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/76mm7p/i_am_a_north_korean_defector_who_was_trafficked/
lol
So interesting to see how propaganda for liberals differs from propaganda for conservatives. Everything in that thread is designed to make the liberal Americans reading feel good about themselves (woke) and smug about their superior knowledge of North Korea "beyond the propaganda." and that list of corporate support for "liberty in north korea" is like a liberal wet dream.

how can anyone be against structuralism when all liberals are identical?
[account deactivated]
badass how theres a post like 'in the south there are stereotypes about north koreans being simple and poorly educated' and your local expert pipes up saying actually, that's based in reality because the education there is bad and filled with propaganda :thinkingemoji: