just like posting here
Edited by toyot ()
I wish I had your idealism, synergy.
after seeing Richard Wolff debate a bunch of reactionary people on tv shows it made me realize that he's doing a good job of bringing new perspectives to audiences that have probably never heard them before. even if only 5% of the people who watch that start to doubt their understanding of the world, it's still a better outcome then expecting the masses to suddenly become "woke" by themselves somehow. also in regards to my unpopular opinions on this forum, i'm never going to pretend to agree with every point made here to win upvotes or whatever. collaborating with the average joe means not having 100% consensus, or people that have read every book, or have the same level of intelligence you have, that's the reality. being like "ha ha your so stupid" is not going to win anyone over to your cause. that kind of hostility has nearly made me leave a couple of times in the past and while i'm sure some here would consider that a victory, applying that kind of purity test to the rest of the world is going to leave you with very few allies.
edit: btw, the majority of this post isn't directed at you Belphegor, sorry if it appeared that way.
i also wanted to point out that regardless of what anyone thinks of Hasan, when he debated Destiny a lot of viewers were convinced enough (1-2k increase in viewership) to join Hasan's channel in defense of socialism
Edited by Synergy ()
How do you read Marx and Lenin and come to understand history as the history of class struggle and Marxism as a theoretical weapon of the proletariat and then act like Marxism is something you evangelize to petite bourgeois nerds who are as a class descending into fascism and misanthropy globally?
i can tell you why i tried if this was a q to me
1) class character isn't as clear online, the 'measurement' is taken in a couple days of talking to somebody IRL. but one poster might reveal in one post how he's living off his landlord wife's rents, and you have to remember small facts like this for everyone and make your own dialectical connections between their class and their ideology
2) i figured the class character would look like it does for ppl i know who use torrents vs paying for shit irl. ppl for who $10/mo netflix is real money
3) they hate the police, so i figured that people going nword nword nword, i could point out they're speaking the cop's ideology, and use marxism to explain why racism is the cop's ideology. the fash got exiled as a cop risk.
4) it's always worth it to listen to people talk about their ideology, their understanding of the world. why not?- it's practice. chemists don't become alchemists and evolutionary theorists don't become creationists b/c truth rolls downhill, so marxists don't become socdem news junkies with patchwork liberal ideology, no real risk to me. so if on an ordered list of usefulness, it's behind organizing a conspiracy of workers, but ahead of everything else and recreation, then we should of course try to discuss marxism with others to learn it better
5) it was worth testing my assumptions about the terrain of these new online social spaces. for one thing it showed how twitter has strategically cut every rope i used on this forum to speak and listen, and reds on there are truly wasting their time, spinning in place, 4) almost doesn't apply there b/c you can't apply the science there at all
6) as i came to figure out the class characters of posters i could apply the classic theory and sakai's ideas of the land question. US racism/fascism concentrated on the landowners and womanizers, socdem politics on metropole $$$ workers, and the people w/ ho chi minh posters or who liked mao's good work he did in china against the landlords, in the lower proletariat, a lot of times w/ substance issues
7) like sakai says the real 3rd rail in US politics isn't race, which is discussed widely and openly, it's class, which people still think means how much money ya got in the bank.
8) people who can afford to post at 3pm on a tuesday on computers have a class character which enables that. i'm pretty dense i guess, this took me too long to understand
edit: maybe the other insight, it's like synergy was saying here, when you post you are both in conversation and on the stage. one purpose of typing on these places, is to just be in conversation+learn and not worry about all the eyes on you. another purpose is to create conversations which will encourage a certain type of lurker/reader, to walk up from the audience, and get up on stage, and let this process feed back on itself. the character of the social space definitely changed, but to the class limits of the readers, in this case the forum. sorry!
Edited by toyot ()
twitter has strategically cut every rope i used on this forum to speak and listen, and reds on there are truly wasting their time, spinning in place
back in like 2014 i genuinely learned a good deal from some twitter reds, and i'd credit them with helping me overcome some trotty klimanite tics -- hell, discipline's open rhiz recruitment calls over there are how i found my way back to this little enclave
but yeah, its usefulness has really collapsed. a few worthwhile voices still float around, but mostly it seems like a platform for harrying people until they have mental breakdowns
"Are video games good? Should we debate Marxism on Twitch?" the thread that went on 400 posts and destroyed the forums, spiritually locked by the de facto moderator elemennop
respect elemennop but that’s like one demented guy using one page of Petrols thread on his path toward a meltdown ban... Hell,
i came up w/ a function algebra that makes shapes. i was trying to make like, perl for 3D graphics. where a single line describes a very complicated shape. it uses set comprehensions. the idea is you can 3D print the equation of a shape onto itself, so somebody can duplicate it. today you can 'xerox' a print using a 2nd $$$$ scanning machine, but w/ generational loss (like a copy of a copy of a copy). this is like if a UPC barcode told you also how to manufacture something. today that'd mean maybe 10MB .stl, but this algebra's just a line, like 0.5KB. i made it for 2D shapes but it could generalize to 1D, 3D, 4D... nested sets pop out of the algebra as additional spacial dimensions... i tried out every algebra i could think of & worked problems using their internal logic. i probably tried like 10 algebras until i found one that worked. an algebra's just a bunch of rules for manipulating symbols. you think up rules and then check them against problems. if it calculates the thing you wanted you're in business. usually you get close but it doesn't. in this case it's how to feed variables to functions like y=a*x^2 + b*x + c. but maybe 'a' is a function of x, and b is a function of y. or all variables are functions of some other vector. anyway i'm hella proud of myself!! i'm a math sub-midwit, but i been studying hard! new algebra, baby!!
here are some renders of an M2.5 X 0.45 bolt at different places within the ANSI bolt standard's tolerance zone. did you konw CAD programs just kind of fake their bolts? like they don't write them to the ANSI standard. they just kind of helix-extrude a 60deg triangle at some pitch.... real life bolts aren't like that
but like in this function algebra if say, your lathe or rolling machine has a vibration of some frequency, then w/ maybe 20 characters, you can add little dips n spikes to the diameters of bolts to represent that periodic change in machine state. everything is just sets and functions!!!!
kinda interesting the global south is into ck2
kinda interesting the global south is into ck2
reminds me of one of those proto-fascist "races of the world" atlases
global south = filial piety, working to improve one's station
eurasia = "totalitarian*" fetishism (*paradox's usage)
old world west = undead imperialist animus
anglosphere = escapist technofetishist trash
for anyone else curious about the new-old imperialist agitprop, there are already uploads on youtube
25 minutes in:
- CIA-Marine night-time raiders don't use night-vision goggles
- Russians use mercs, West doesn't and is obsessed with the Laws of War
- visibly Kurdish commander lady is just a genericised Arab rebel who takes issue with The Real Terrorists and Russia
now this is pod-racing
where's the mission where i hike into somethingistan with my friends to take pictures for the CIA stock photos department But It All Goes Wrong
not sure but one hour in...
- CIA guy is just blindly falling into supporting these rebels, no intentionality whatsoever except some sympathy & anti-Russian antipathy
- the rebels employ C4-ladden drones to attack a Russian base; totally their idea, the CIA dude that they all suddenly like and trust for no good reason is just given the privilege of guiding a few
- at the very beginning there's a lovely CIA-commander vs Those-Are-My-Guys Marine argument that exposes the fact that the regular Russian forces are not to be openly targeted by US assets... but an Apache is just called in for no particularly good reason to help the rebel assault on Russians
the level of narrative consistency here is just pathetic, arguably worse than real-life "objective media coverage". only treyarch CoDs seem to have some grounding in reality/consistency (cf. Black Ops 2)