roseweird posted:

i know the art is from the book itself but the style reminds me a little of certain 4chan-favorite racist political cartoons ("around blacks never relax" etc) and between that and the subtitle "the true story of the white nation" it almost feels like it might accidentally attract aryan brothers and whatnot? although surely they're among those who need to read it most

idk, just my 2ยข as a worried-about-aesthetics person

maybe just a picture of john brown with a big question mark
IMO if the white nation part gets dropped it would be OK. Saying WHITE twice w a pic of dudes holding gun on black man is a bit much for me as toutvagood said

Urbandale posted:

maybe just a picture of john brown with a big question mark

the question being should we purge it all away with blood

No one knows what John Brown looks like
do daguerreotypes not count or are you hypothesizing its faked or
Jesus christ
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I think liberals who don't wanna read it will come up with a reason, like "proletariat? don't they know communism was disproven when the USSR collapsed?" or whatever. The only way in is to package it like

roseweird posted:

"a short course in understanding babylon"

imo this would be good, it's almost intriguing

SETTLERS: An American Musical
by Lin-Manuel Miranda and J. Sakai
Fellow white transcribers of Settlers, we need to make this book a little less anti-white, or else white working Americans won't read it and maintain solidarity with black people and their demands
There a few good concise sentences in the book that would be good for a sticker/poster. IMO I would avoid using jargon like "Babylon" or referring to white people as "Settlers" to an audience that hasn't readsettlers.org and might not make the immediate connection.

Good choice quotes (paraphrased):

* It is the absolute characteristic of white society to be parasitic

* Nothing raises more enthusiasm among white people than attacking people of color - they embrace it as something between a team sport and a national religion.

* The white American "left" has mystified class consciousness. Narrow self-interest is not class consciousness. "More for me" is not the same slogan as "liberate humanity."

* White Americans are not waiting passively for "the Movement" to come organize them - the point is they already have many movements, causes and organizations of their own. That's the problem.

* White America is just concentrating on "getting theirs" while it lasts. In their tradition it's "every man for himself." They have no class goals or even community goals, just private goals involving private income and private consumerism.

[account deactivated]

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

walkinginonit posted:

There a few good concise sentences in the book that would be good for a sticker/poster. IMO I would avoid using jargon like "Babylon" or referring to white people as "Settlers" to an audience that hasn't readsettlers.org and might not make the immediate connection.

Good choice quotes (paraphrased):

* It is the absolute characteristic of white society to be parasitic

* Nothing raises more enthusiasm among white people than attacking people of color - they embrace it as something between a team sport and a national religion.

* The white American "left" has mystified class consciousness. Narrow self-interest is not class consciousness. "More for me" is not the same slogan as "liberate humanity."

* White Americans are not waiting passively for "the Movement" to come organize them - the point is they already have many movements, causes and organizations of their own. That's the problem.

* White America is just concentrating on "getting theirs" while it lasts. In their tradition it's "every man for himself." They have no class goals or even community goals, just private goals involving private income and private consumerism.

That guy needs to calm down.... chill out!

Oh man am I calm and white

walkinginonit posted:

They were playing the knockout game before it became hip

IFAP Swirls
Swirls is the methlabretriever of white supremacism
[account deactivated]
Not a lot of people know this, but Robert Crumb did the original illustration for Settlers uncredited. Unsurprisingly the title header cuts off the rest of the drawing which had amazons wrapping their muscular legs around each man's big hairy cock.

walkinginonit posted:

You're the toilet slave of the NYC black party

swirlsofhistory posted:

walkinginonit posted:

You're the toilet slave of the NYC black party

go soak your head in a vat of acid

"From '65 and the establishment of PLP to around '68 we attempted to move members to work and into the unions, mostly to try to establish a base within the working class at the point of production and secondarily to get some stability. Since most of our members were students or ex-students, these were the people who 'entered' the working class to carry out the line ... We were going to try to build a rank-and-file movement, caucuses, a Left- Center Coalition, learn trade union and strike tactics and organize struggle so 'Marxist-Leninist' conclusions could come out of the struggle."

However, as this party document noted, "As we began to see that putting students in the 'front lines' wouldn't work and that they either left the party or they buried themselves at work (and left the Party behind), we pulled many of them out of the industrial working class and put them in situations more related to their backgrounds, some still in unions, others in situations where they could more naturally win their peers to a pro-working class stance."
That's happened so many times. The swp did a movement into the factories and then back out of the factories to colleges during the 70s except in both cases they forced everyone to do it and ruined whatever influence they had in either area. By contrast the NCM did better overall but the 80s were just too difficult for small industrial concentrations of whatever trndency to survive. And the trot and ml groups shared some common idiotic features such as mania for premature party building, dogmatism, male chauvinism, etc.

I still think they should have kept at it. I think a lot of these people didn't really understand how difficult it would be later on to start from scratch. They just wrapped up their organizations because of theoretical crises or low membership. When membership in ml groups still hasn't reached the level it was in the mid eighties even.
It's also funny to look at groups like the revolutionary workers headquarters, the predecessor to the frso, and how marginal they were back then even among the ml groups and how bad their theory was in comparison. But those Older Activists Seasoned in the Sturuggle are the frso's main asset and are directing the work of a lot of younger people who look up to them. Who are busy making the same mistakes of sloppy, under theorized industrial concentration, mindless continual protest-ism, total lack of material investigation, and, male chauvinism and the parody of security culture that enabled it back in the day.
mindless continual Protestantism is the new Settlers sub-title
source material for chapter xiii footnotes:

http://www.crepusculum.org:3711/domus/chapterxiiitest.html

i cannot be arsed to subscribe to the WSJ or Newsweek for access to their archives and was unable to track down a 1979 copy of Social Stratification of the United States. whatevs.
chapter 9 is up http://readsettlers.org/ch9.html

karphead posted:

i cannot be arsed to subscribe to the WSJ or Newsweek for access to their archives and was unable to track down a 1979 copy of Social Stratification of the United States. whatevs.

this is dope. can i just link all of that stuff directly or do you want me to upload all of it to readsettlers

Has anyone gotten in touch with sakai?
Maybe he'd be delighted to help sa project like this, and would send on his background material?

stegosaurus posted:

karphead posted:

this is dope. can i just link all of that stuff directly or do you want me to upload all of it to readsettlers

you should just host the files on your site, but i'll keep mine up as long as my server is up. here's all the files in one zip: http://www.crepusculum.org:3711/domus/lf/settlers.zip

not sure if you missed it earlier in the thread but i also did chapter xiv: http://www.crepusculum.org:3711/domus/test.html

the zip contains the files for both chapters

[account deactivated]
What's like the easiest custom sticker website so I can print these
haha the intro to the bromma thing owns immediately:

I'm a middle class person. My parents started out without much money, but they quickly moved up the economic ladder. By the time I left elementary school, my family was comfortable financially. I had a privileged education, tailored for a life in the bubble of the intelligentsia.

But that bubble made me claustrophobic. Starting as a teenager, I took a series of working class jobs to make extra money. I soon realized that those jobs were windows into a wider and more interesting world. Later, in the 1970s, I got caught up in radical politics. Older and wiser activists in the Movement drummed into me the pivotal role of the working class.

Eventually I decided to go "into the factories." I was part of a wave of young intellectuals in the US who were determined to commit class suicide. We were intent on helping make revolution from inside the working class. It's a decision I never regretted, even though it didn't work out quite the way I expected.

Since those early days I've had a bunch of industrial jobs. I've been part of lots of shop floor struggles, picket lines, job actions, strikes. I've tried to bring radical politics into my workplaces, and watched others do the same. I've seen left-wing caucuses and parties come and go. Most of my fellow "factory implanters" went back to graduate school or took union staff jobs years ago. The working class revolution we envisioned didn't happen.

But I never had any desire to relaunch life as a professional or academic, worthy as such a path can be. I didn't want a career in the labor bureaucracy. I liked working with my hands. I liked working in industry. And I mostly liked my co-workers.

Overall, I've been fortunate. I experienced some challenging situations, but I never got badly injured. I learned a lot, saw a lot, and joined forces with other workers to win some small victories against discrimination, unsafe conditions, and unfairness.

Now I'm retired, with a pension--something that only happens to privileged workers. I wouldn't say I ever made a full transformation from intellectual to working class person. That's a big change, socially, culturally, and psychologically. But through sheer longevity I became more or less internal to the working class--part of working class life. Fellow workers sometimes guessed that I wasn't born working class. Or they found out when I told them. Still, there came a time when I'd been a worker longer than most of them had.

And, as I eventually figured out, there was something significant that I always had in common with my co-workers: We were all middle class.

[account deactivated]