kinch posted:

swampman posted:

https://www.sott.net/article/155794-Inside-The-LC-The-Strange-but-Mostly-True-Story-of-Laurel-Canyon-and-the-Birth-of-the-Hippie-Generation-Part-1

if you read all 18 or so chapters mirrored on this site, there are another six or seven in his book which is on libgen lol. his favorite band of the era seems to be love, so i trust him completely.

He was one of the only 'conspiracy theorists' whose politics weren't either lame (like Dave Emory) or fucking dumb/protocolsian. There were two articles on his website where he lays out the facts that Stalin Did Nothing Wrong, that the Soviet Union was actually good and that Stalin's death was an assassination somehow linked to the CIA overthrow of Mossadegh (both occurred within a few months of each other). He also had a funny three-part series where he speculated about the circumstances which may have impelled Dick Cheney to shoot Harry Whittington in the face with a shotgun. spoiler: It WAS an accident, but they weren't really hunting quail that day. I'd post links but it looks like his website vanished from the internet

Rest in peace, Dave. I doubt any book can scare the shit out of me the way Programmed to Kill did.

http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-38/
http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-19/

Edited by swampman ()

Hell yeah, thanks for posting that. Here's a series of articles about Dick Cheney shooting Harry Whittington in the face with a shotgun:

http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-78/
http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-79/
http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-80/
aaahahaha hioly shit
lmao
lol Just as figure skaters know that they will occasionally make painful contact with an unyielding sheet of ice, hunters know that they will occasionally be blasted in the face with a shotgun. It just goes with the territory. Nothing to really be concerned about.

WildStalins posted:

Hell yeah, thanks for posting that. Here's a series of articles about Dick Cheney shooting Harry Whittington in the face with a shotgun:

http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-78/
http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-79/
http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-80/

the pay off from this is the most perfect and beautiful thing

Classic headlines from the bush era:

"Cheney and Scalia spent a weekend duck hunting on a secluded ranch, acompanied by scalias daughter"
What do y'all think of his moon landing stuff? Read up to part vii, and it seems so thorough and convincing that either he's right or making fabrications too sophisticated to not be intentional.
A wapo reporter found the guy again in 2010, and yeah, he got fucked up pretty badly:

The shotgun sprayed upward of 200 birdshot pellets at Whittington, causing scores of wounds. His facial lacerations were the most dramatically bloody, but the injuries to his neck and chest were the most serious. Four days after being hit, the birdshot near his heart prompted it to beat erratically, forcing him back into the intensive care unit. Doctors said Whittington suffered a mild heart attack; he thinks it was something less, a heart "event."

Still, the injuries were more dire than previously disclosed. Whittington suffered a collapsed lung. He underwent invasive exploratory surgery, as doctors probed his vital organs for signs of damage. The load from Cheney's gun came close to, but didn't damage, the carotid artery in his neck.

marimite posted:

What do y'all think of his moon landing stuff? Read up to part vii, and it seems so thorough and convincing that either he's right or making fabrications too sophisticated to not be intentional.

cant say ive read all of it yet but hes saying some dumb things "Who knew, by the way, that the European Space Agency had the technology and the budget to send a spacecraft off to orbit the Moon? Who knew that the Europeans even had a space agency? I wonder, given that they obviously have the technology to send spacecraft to the Moon, why they haven’t sent any manned missions there? I would think that it should be fairly easy to send some guys to at least orbit the Moon … right? I mean, all they have to do is add a couple seats to the spacecraft design that they already have and they should be ready to go."
like yeah, i did know that europe has a space agency, thats not really a secret, and sending manned craft is clearly more difficult than he suggests, and theres not much need for them to do it. a lot of it looks like him being loudly incredulous that people did tough things with fairly primitive technology which isnt really an argument in itself.

i wish china would hurry up with their moon base.
*small voice from the back* same

marimite posted:

Hell it has me convinced

lo posted:

marimite posted:

cant say ive read all of it yet but hes saying some dumb things "Who knew, by the way, that the European Space Agency had the technology and the budget to send a spacecraft off to orbit the Moon? Who knew that the Europeans even had a space agency? I wonder, given that they obviously have the technology to send spacecraft to the Moon, why they haven’t sent any manned missions there? I would think that it should be fairly easy to send some guys to at least orbit the Moon … right? I mean, all they have to do is add a couple seats to the spacecraft design that they already have and they should be ready to go."
like yeah, i did know that europe has a space agency, thats not really a secret, and sending manned craft is clearly more difficult than he suggests, and theres not much need for them to do it. a lot of it looks like him being loudly incredulous that people did tough things with fairly primitive technology which isnt really an argument in itself.

I think he was being sarcastic when he suggested that... Something about the official narrative and how they launched off 8 untested rockets within weeks of each other with no major issues yet can't even manage to do one successful launch today. Dunno though

the United States government landed on the moon. they used it to drive around and play golf and generally look like assholes which eventually bored the shit out of even people in the U.S. so they stopped.
Anyway it's not like landing on the moon is orders of magnitude more impressive than, say, solving a hard sudoku
Moon launch trutherism is actually the communist option btw. Part 7 of the post details the glory of the Soviet space program which was 10 times more successful and real than the U.S. one

fape posted:

Part 7 of the post details the glory of the Soviet space program which was 10 times more successful and real than the U.S. one

this is true and also the U.S. space program put people on the moon.

one of the main reasons this is known to be true is because the USSR had the means the opportunity and every reason to expose the moon landings as fake if they were but they didn't because they knew they were real because they weren't idiots. contrast the U.S. space program and U.S. academia which refused to believe there was lightning on Venus for decades for the sole reason that the USSR offered evidence for it.
seems absurd to get bogged down in speculating which particular moon landings are fake considering the moon is also fake
who gives a shit about the moon
people at risk of coastal flooding
Man it would be really disappointing if all of the overwhelming amount of evidence that guy presented in his article about the components of the apollo missions being (reportedly from the sources themselves) lazily designed, unfinished, untested, rushed pieces of junk wrapped in aluminum foil, and all the computers in the command center being not actually computers but screens with slides displayed on them, and the main programmers for the onboard directional systems saying "Yeah, they just told me to write whateva!" , all amounted to nothing, because Cars wants to present himself as an intellectually agreeable person

fape posted:

Man it would be really disappointing if all of the overwhelming amount of evidence that guy presented in his article about the components of the apollo missions being (reportedly from the sources themselves) lazily designed, unfinished, untested, rushed pieces of junk wrapped in aluminum foil, and all the computers in the command center being not actually computers but screens with slides displayed on them, and the main programmers for the onboard directional systems saying "Yeah, they just told me to write whateva!" , all amounted to nothing, because Cars wants to present himself as an intellectually agreeable person

sure, whatever that means

It didn't happen man. Someday you will see
[account deactivated]
wouldnt suprise me if nasa buried a whole load of guns on the moon, someone gonna tell me that americans went to the moon and played golf but didnt fire a load of guns smdh
[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

the purpose of sites like this shouldn't be to play science devil's advocate, it should be to teach good reasoning skills to spot the next fairy tale. i've read all of it and there isn't 1 experiment with real materials, except light criticism of mythbusters, the pop cultural phenomenon named after the a priori goal of their experiments demonstrations science adventures

[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

moon landing seems like one of those things where we'll have to wait and see if another country or whoever lands and confirms there's a bunch of nasa equipment left where nasa said it's left

the purpose of sites like this shouldn't be to play science devil's advocate, it should be to teach good reasoning skills to spot the next fairy tale. i've read all of it and there isn't 1 experiment with real materials, except light criticism of mythbusters, the pop cultural phenomenon named after the a priori goal of their experiments demonstrations science adventures

they installed reflectors on a specific part of the moon so you could detect reflected light from the earth and one of my physics teachers said he did this and measured the distance personally at university so, unless he was part of the conspiracy, seems like the moon landing happened.

otoh, now that I'm not a child, it occurs to me that the moon is pretty high albedo and you should be able to do laser distance measuring even if no one installed reflectors...

levoydpage posted:

i started reading the text before looking at the image and the whole time i just assumed it was a picture of squidward

whats this moon article youre talking about?

kinch posted:

whats this moon article youre talking about?

http://www.whale.to/c/Dave%20McGowan%20-%20Wagging%20The%20Moon%20Doggie.pdf

toyotathon posted:

the purpose of sites like this shouldn't be to play science devil's advocate, it should be to teach good reasoning skills to spot the next fairy tale.

the purpose of this site is to contain the spread of fail aids but it didn't work and now you have Fail AIDS.

cars posted:

one of the main reasons this is known to be true is because the USSR had the means the opportunity and every reason to expose the moon landings as fake if they were but they didn't because they knew they were real because they weren't idiots. contrast the U.S. space program and U.S. academia which refused to believe there was lightning on Venus for decades for the sole reason that the USSR offered evidence for it.

yeah, the soviets(as well as some independent astronomers who I guess would have had to be in on the conspiracy?) had the ability to track the apollo missions and pick up transmissions from them, and they did.

This is why I hate good conspiracy writers. They present a bunch of interesting facts and then lure you into believing whacky stuff by leaving out key bits of evidence in support of alternative explanations. Like I read part of the Laurel Canyon thing, and there's a bunch of interesting stuff about how a lot of these musicians were the heirs of apparatchiks and thus had shit politics. But then he weaves a whole brain washing theory out of that and trying to separate the interesting facts from his stupid theory becomes too tiring. Unless it's about something actually plausible and political relevant like rat lines I don't want to touch this stuff now.

rat lines arnt conspiracy though, they're just history like iran-contra or how bush did 9-11