they are just one tiny detail but it at least addresses the total blindness to the unravelling of personal protections vs state power. you could replace Miranda rights with a thousand other things and tell a similar story

all featuring confused placid liberals discovering that they quietly acquiesced to their fates years ago and totally would have said something, omg, if you had just asked, like obviously those are totally good things, but now it's too late so let's just sigh and look up what's new on Netflix. at least we can still vote for Obama and the Good Guys.
jahar has a pretty funny twitter. awfully relaxed for a kid about to blow up some Americans. too bad we'll never know if he is innocent or guilty
[account deactivated]

shermanstick posted:

gyrofry posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/20/boston-marathon-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-mirnada-rights

i get the feeling they don't really understand miranda rights, much like most american citizens. they're only required in certain circumstances and are easily waived in many other. its not this iron clad agreement between the state and the offender

lol, greenwald is a constitutional lawyer. i think he has a pretty decent grasp on the miranda doctrine.

Panopticon posted:

Beck Gives Obama Till Monday to Admit Boston Bombing was Inside Job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODZaaMTwfg

its all over for obama

what does a scientologist singer-songwriter know about terrorism?

TG posted:

shermanstick posted:

gyrofry posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/20/boston-marathon-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-mirnada-rights

i get the feeling they don't really understand miranda rights, much like most american citizens. they're only required in certain circumstances and are easily waived in many other. its not this iron clad agreement between the state and the offender

lol, greenwald is a constitutional lawyer. i think he has a pretty decent grasp on the miranda doctrine.

SO IS OBAMA.

looking forward to the movie starring marky mark as a boston policeman

drwhat posted:

all featuring confused placid liberals discovering that they quietly acquiesced to their fates years ago and totally would have said something, omg, if you had just asked, like obviously those are totally good things, but now it's too late so let's just sigh and look up what's new on Netflix. at least we can still vote for Obama and the Good Guys.

i know a guy whos exactly like this with girlfriends. (hes in love now)

TG posted:

Panopticon posted:

Beck Gives Obama Till Monday to Admit Boston Bombing was Inside Job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODZaaMTwfg

its all over for obama

what does a scientologist singer-songwriter know about terrorism?

[account deactivated]
i thought you were talking about hitler
glen beck 420
The FBI's acknowledgement Friday that it interviewed deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011 "at the request of a foreign government" has raised questions about whether the U.S. intelligence community could have prevented (ildmge note: OR CAUSED) the Boston attack.

The agency interviewed Carlos Bledsoe, who opened fire at an Arkansas Army recruiting station in 2009, multiple times before his attack.

The agency also conducted an in-depth intelligence investigation into Major Nidal Hasan, the man behind the Fort Hood shootings, before that attack.

ILMDGE NOTE: I see a pattern emerging here.
wow, scary to think that those terrorists came so close to getting a job with the fbi
they had and completed jobs with the fbi, if you know what im saying.

TG posted:

i thought you were talking about hitler

i thought you were talking about...*quickly checks Scientologist list*...LEONARD COHEN????

ilmdge posted:

The FBI's acknowledgement Friday that it interviewed deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011 "at the request of a foreign government" has raised questions about whether the U.S. intelligence community could have prevented (ildmge note: OR CAUSED) the Boston attack.

The agency interviewed Carlos Bledsoe, who opened fire at an Arkansas Army recruiting station in 2009, multiple times before his attack.

The agency also conducted an in-depth intelligence investigation into Major Nidal Hasan, the man behind the Fort Hood shootings, before that attack.

ILMDGE NOTE: I see a pattern emerging here.

wow sounds like we should grant the FBI massively expanded powers to label people as potential threats

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

tpaine posted:

2) There should really be a word in English to describe the desire to replay Final Fantasy Tactics forever stymied by the inability to find a working rom and emulator. I bet the Germans have a word for that. Those fucking guys have a word for everything!

deadken posted:

i wrote some words about the bombings and dzokhar's tweets and the shoe spammers and so on you can read them if you want http://samkriss.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/boston-the-terrorism-of-banality/

nice, these words own.

TG posted:

He's also boring and irrelevant

this not happen if boston had guns

ggw posted:

TG posted:

He's also boring and irrelevant

so is every other person publicly engaging with western society. the list of people writing things worth sharing is prettttttty thin

Hmmmm it's almost like "writing things" is stupid liberal bullshit
This is the car of the friends who helped those two dudes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/20/boston-bombing-suspect-fbi-surveillance-claim

One of the two men suspected of being behind the Boston Marathon bombings was under FBI surveillance as a suspected "extremist" for at least three years, according to his parents.

As questions were raised about how well known Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were to federal investigators, their mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, said that the FBI had spoken to the family regularly: "They were telling me that Tamerlan was really an extremist leader and they were afraid of him. They told me whatever information he is getting, he gets from these extremists' sites." She added that the police were monitoring her son "at every step".

The bloody denouement to the hunt for the bombers came four days after the attack and 24 hours after the FBI released surveillance-camera images of two young men suspected of planting the pressure-cooker explosives at the marathon finish line.

The attack killed three people and injured more than 170. Armed guards were stationed at the hospital where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect, was being held, after being apprehended following a gun battle on Friday evening. Medical staff said he was in a serious condition. A special interrogation team for high-value suspects was waiting to question the university student about the most serious terror attack on American soil since 9/11.

As the debate about the withholding of Tsarnaev's Miranda rights – the statement read by police to suspects stating their right to remain silent and to have an attorney – continued, prominent US senators have called for the suspect to be treated as an "enemy combatant", equivalent to the detainees at Guantánamo. That would allow him to be questioned and held indefinitely.

The revelation that the FBI was monitoring the elder Tsarnaev brother will lead to a debate over whether the attack could have been prevented. The men's father – who claims that his sons have been framed – supplied more details about the FBI's interest in Tamerlan in a telephone interview with the Wall Street Journal. Anzor Tsarnaev said that agents had talked to Tamerlan in 2011. They described him as a "person of interest".

"Yes, I was there. It was in Cambridge . They said: 'We know what sites you are on, we know where you are calling, we know everything about you. Everything'." He added: "They said we are checking and watching – that's what they said." In a message to his son, he said: "Tell police everything. Everything. Just be honest."

The parents' claims appear to contradict a statement by the FBI saying that, after checks on Tamerlan and his family, along with a review of travel records, internet activity and personal associations, it "did not find any terrorism activity". Officials have added that the brothers had not been under surveillance.

Since his death, it has been revealed that a YouTube account believed to be managed by Tamerlan linked to online material concerning radical preachers, terrorism and a religious prophecy allegedly popular with followers of al-Qaida. The motives behind the brothers' attack remain mysterious. Although Tamerlan had been described as becoming more religious in recent years, acquaintances of the brothers described a pair whose behaviour was often at odds with strict Islam, including Dzhokhar's fondness for hip-hop and skateboarding and consumption of soft drugs.

During a night of violence on Thursday and into Friday, after they had been identified by pictures taken at the marathon, the brothers killed a police officer on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus, severely wounded another during a gun battle and hurled explosives at police in a desperate getaway attempt.

Aged 26, Tamerlan died of his injuries from the shootout with police and a possible blast injury. He was also apparently run over by his younger brother in a car as he lay wounded. The 19-year-old Dzhokhar was captured after a day-long manhunt that paralysed Boston and its surrounding suburbs. He had been hiding injured in a boat in a back yard in Watertown; the owner was alerted by a trail of blood. The subsequent shootout left the boat looking like "swiss cheese", its owner told a neighbour.

The neighbour, who did not want to give her name, added that the boat's owner was "shell shocked" after making the discovery. "He saw that the tarp was open and that seemed wrong to him because we've had a pretty harsh winter and the boat had never been undone. He checks on his boat a lot, that's his baby, so that's how he noticed it," she said.

The interrogation team planned to question Dzhokhar without reading him his Miranda rights. Those rights will be waived using a rarely deployed public safety clause, triggered by the need to protect police and the public from immediate danger.

The capture of Dzhokhar lifted days of anxiety for Boston and Americans everywhere. President Barack Obama, who branded the suspects "terrorists", vowed that investigators would solve the mystery of why the brothers embarked on their campaign of terror. "The families of those killed so senselessly deserve answers," he said, adding that the capture of the second suspect closed "an important chapter in this tragedy", while acknowledging that there are many unanswered questions, including whether the two men had help from others.

Shortly before Dzhokhar's capture, the White House said that Obama had spoken by phone with the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, about the investigation. The White House said in a statement that Obama "praised the close co-operation that the United States has received from Russia on counter-terrorism, including in the wake of the Boston attack".

Willa has some new info:
http://www.businessinsider.com/murder-of-brendan-mess-the-best-friend-of-boston-bombing-suspect-tamerlan-tsarnaev-2013-4#ixzz2R1tT0Ruw

Older bro's "best friend" was murdered a couple years ago, along with two other guys--on 9/11/11--and the murders have been unsolved to date.

The neighbour, who did not want to give her name, added that the boat's owner was "shell shocked" after making the discovery. "He saw that the tarp was open and that seemed wrong to him because we've had a pretty harsh winter and the boat had never been undone. He checks on his boat a lot, that's his baby, so that's how he noticed it," she said.

for the love of a boatbaby, our freedom. the dead best friend news is fucking weird and worrisome. also, more smearing of Weed's good name!

ggw posted:

Hmmmm it's almost like "writing things" is stupid liberal bullshit

lol I know right who bothers communicating in words, what huge fags. I just roll on up and straight shit on the sidewalk, that's communication

ggw posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/20/boston-bombing-suspect-fbi-surveillance-claim

One of the two men suspected of being behind the Boston Marathon bombings was under FBI surveillance as a suspected "extremist" for at least three years, according to his parents.

As questions were raised about how well known Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were to federal investigators, their mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, said that the FBI had spoken to the family regularly: "They were telling me that Tamerlan was really an extremist leader and they were afraid of him. They told me whatever information he is getting, he gets from these extremists' sites." She added that the police were monitoring her son "at every step".

The bloody denouement to the hunt for the bombers came four days after the attack and 24 hours after the FBI released surveillance-camera images of two young men suspected of planting the pressure-cooker explosives at the marathon finish line.

The attack killed three people and injured more than 170. Armed guards were stationed at the hospital where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect, was being held, after being apprehended following a gun battle on Friday evening. Medical staff said he was in a serious condition. A special interrogation team for high-value suspects was waiting to question the university student about the most serious terror attack on American soil since 9/11.

As the debate about the withholding of Tsarnaev's Miranda rights – the statement read by police to suspects stating their right to remain silent and to have an attorney – continued, prominent US senators have called for the suspect to be treated as an "enemy combatant", equivalent to the detainees at Guantánamo. That would allow him to be questioned and held indefinitely.

The revelation that the FBI was monitoring the elder Tsarnaev brother will lead to a debate over whether the attack could have been prevented. The men's father – who claims that his sons have been framed – supplied more details about the FBI's interest in Tamerlan in a telephone interview with the Wall Street Journal. Anzor Tsarnaev said that agents had talked to Tamerlan in 2011. They described him as a "person of interest".

"Yes, I was there. It was in Cambridge . They said: 'We know what sites you are on, we know where you are calling, we know everything about you. Everything'." He added: "They said we are checking and watching – that's what they said." In a message to his son, he said: "Tell police everything. Everything. Just be honest."

The parents' claims appear to contradict a statement by the FBI saying that, after checks on Tamerlan and his family, along with a review of travel records, internet activity and personal associations, it "did not find any terrorism activity". Officials have added that the brothers had not been under surveillance.

Since his death, it has been revealed that a YouTube account believed to be managed by Tamerlan linked to online material concerning radical preachers, terrorism and a religious prophecy allegedly popular with followers of al-Qaida. The motives behind the brothers' attack remain mysterious. Although Tamerlan had been described as becoming more religious in recent years, acquaintances of the brothers described a pair whose behaviour was often at odds with strict Islam, including Dzhokhar's fondness for hip-hop and skateboarding and consumption of soft drugs.

During a night of violence on Thursday and into Friday, after they had been identified by pictures taken at the marathon, the brothers killed a police officer on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus, severely wounded another during a gun battle and hurled explosives at police in a desperate getaway attempt.

Aged 26, Tamerlan died of his injuries from the shootout with police and a possible blast injury. He was also apparently run over by his younger brother in a car as he lay wounded. The 19-year-old Dzhokhar was captured after a day-long manhunt that paralysed Boston and its surrounding suburbs. He had been hiding injured in a boat in a back yard in Watertown; the owner was alerted by a trail of blood. The subsequent shootout left the boat looking like "swiss cheese", its owner told a neighbour.

The interrogation team planned to question Dzhokhar without reading him his Miranda rights. Those rights will be waived using a rarely deployed public safety clause, triggered by the need to protect police and the public from immediate danger.

The capture of Dzhokhar lifted days of anxiety for Boston and Americans everywhere. President Barack Obama, who branded the suspects "terrorists", vowed that investigators would solve the mystery of why the brothers embarked on their campaign of terror. "The families of those killed so senselessly deserve answers," he said, adding that the capture of the second suspect closed "an important chapter in this tragedy", while acknowledging that there are many unanswered questions, including whether the two men had help from others.

Shortly before Dzhokhar's capture, the White House said that Obama had spoken by phone with the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, about the investigation. The White House said in a statement that Obama "praised the close co-operation that the United States has received from Russia on counter-terrorism, including in the wake of the Boston attack".

And yet when they got the bombers on video they had to release the photos to the public to get an ID. more proof of the FBI's incompetence that they can't identify someone they themselves have investigated

drwhat posted:

lol I know right who bothers communicating in words, what huge fags. I just roll on up and straight shit on the sidewalk, that's communication

stop trying to roleplay through posting you weirdo

is that movie good, i'm downloading it now
yah im sure a cam of it will really let you know if its good
it annoys me to read meccaphiles talking about how islam is against attacks and so on when like okay so you're saying if america just rolls into iraq you're cool with muslims just laying down and taking it? no? then kindly not be talking.
today i drove from boston to worcester, which is the second biggest city in the state, almost squarely in the middle of the state, and a shithole. point being over this hour drive i got to listen to a lot of local news, and see a lot of light-up road signs and i think i'm ready articulate why i found this whole thing so horrifying.

first, the signs. this isn't something you'll probably see living out of state, but every light-up road notice sign on the highway reads "WE ARE ONE BOSTON." probably dozens of these fuckin things in the 50 miles between points. there were also billboards thanking and praising the police. the local news ran round the clock hagiography. this is all in addition to the regular stuff i'm sure you all can watch on tv.

first, anything that attempts to tell us that "we are all one" should be scrutinized carefully on suspicion of opportunism at best and likely fascism. maybe this does not turn out to be true, and it is mere liberal "community togetherness" but this seems unlikely coming draped in the flag and wrapped around the dong of a cop.

police are the enemy, do not forget that. the individual cop may be decent, but the system for which he works is corrupt and in order to be truly reformed would have to be faced with violence.

and what, precisely, are we praising the police for, anyway? doing their fucking jobs, apparently, and shittily at that. hundreds of local, state and federal troops from Bawston irish mongs, to CIA career sociopaths, were tearing apart an area only three miles on a side and not even that densely populated. they got jack and crap for 12 hours until some random person called in 911. great detective work, fellas. you're lucky that you were dealing with morons in the first place; god alone knows why these guys didn't flee to a different state or country in the three fucking days it took for you to release a picture in an area covered by live news cameras, a dozen surveillance cameras and hundreds of slackjawed townies instragramming pictures of their splattered testicles

getfiscal is absolutely right, bostonians are cowards. four people died in all of this. three during one initial attack, one fatbody glorified rent-a-cop. in response, what is arguably the fifth most important city in america basically shut down, costing hundreds of millions of dollars. people hid in their houses like the angel of death was on the winds. a scam to drive up ratings? or have we truly just lost our balls?
we just take terrorism very seriously.
if theyd worn big sunglasses/make-up and come from out of state they would have easily gotten away with it