TG posted:

babyfinland posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

getfiscal posted:

we all know where baby finland stands.

more like

is that a nando's cause that's p. awesome chicken.

its paseo in fremont

TG posted:

babyfinland posted:
getfiscal posted:
we all know where baby finland stands.

more like

is that a nando's cause that's p. awesome chicken.

[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

is Clash of Civilizations worth reading?

it cops a lot of flack but the events of the past week make me think there's something in that theory

why dont you read the muslim equivalent, like maududi or qutb or somethign

haha im being made ot read samuel huntington for a shit class and ive already looked up qutb adn im trying to get a copy of zawahiri's knights under the prophets banner

kinch posted:

babyfinland posted:

is Clash of Civilizations worth reading?

it cops a lot of flack but the events of the past week make me think there's something in that theory

why dont you read the muslim equivalent, like maududi or qutb or somethign

haha im being made ot read samuel huntington for a shit class and ive already looked up qutb adn im trying to get a copy of zawahiri's knights under the prophets banner

join the caravan by abdullah yusuf 'azzam is the best jihadi thing imo

[account deactivated]
i'd be interested in reading those but is it the kind of thing where ASIO is going to knock down my door for "accessing terrorist materiel" or something
[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

Anything that can't be labelled fecund horror is worthless

it's the fecund weekend

im punishing myself by reading ulysses, why do people read this stuff omg
ulysses is great, it's a massive revolt again the liberal and bourgeois idea of coherence

aerdil posted:

hmmm i'm gonna go to this book talk methinks:

Please join 2011 Indie Publishing Contest Grand Prize Winner Michael J. Cooper for a discussion of his debut novel
BOOKSHOP WEST PORTAL
80 WEST PORTAL AVENUE, SAN FRANCISCO
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20th, 7 PM

Imagine a novel in which you find Mozart and Nazis, archaeologists, hidden treasure, Knights Templar, lost loves, metaphysics and a little quantum physics…a rich, complex and erudite story.
Sasha Paulsen, Napa Valley Register

The tale is replete with love, war, wit and wisdom…filled with a striking mix of historical fact
and pure, simple fantasy.
Maayan Jaffe, Baltimore Jewish Times

… a tour de force, Cooper has created a composition of Jerusalem—contemporary and historical, earthly and celestial—all brought together with an intricate plot that leaves the reader guessing to the last minute. A winner.
Eylon Meroz –Mvaseret Tzion

In FOXES IN THE VINEYARD, Michael Cooper presents the birth of Israel in 1948 as multifaceted alternate historical fiction. On one hand the novel raises the specter of covert elements of the Third Reich secretly infiltrated into Palestine after WWII. Using counter-intelligence and terror, the Nazis seek to drive the Jews and Arabs to war, to drive the British from Palestine, and ultimately to seize Jerusalem as the new capital of a reborn Third Reich with the Temple Mount as their fortress and the Templar treasure as plunder. On another level, the Nazis serve as metaphor for any movement that invokes ultra-nationalism, militarism, and mystical religious fanaticism—a toxic mixture that continues to infect the Middle East conflict. On this level there arise broader questions about the challenge to act with responsibility and compassion to achieve a just and peaceful coexistence in the region.

A native of Berkeley, Michael Cooper graduated from Oakland High School and emigrated to Israel in 1966. He studied at Hebrew University in Jerusalem before attending Tel Aviv University Medical School, where he graduated in 1975. With Northern California Kaiser-Permanente since 1983, he is clinical professor of pediatric cardiology at UCSF Medical Center. He returns to Israel at least twice a year for medical missions serving children with heart defects who lack adequate access to care.
Foxes in the Vineyard, grand prize winner of the 2011
Indie Publishing Contest, is his first novel.

thjat sounds rly bad

cleanhands posted:

im punishing myself by reading ulysses, why do people read this stuff omg

ulysses fuckin owns dude

its a cool book + funny as hell, its def not The End Of The Novel as has been claimed (thats becketts trilogy) but its a v enjoyable read and immensely rewarding whichever angle you approach it from. Lol
yeah i like the chars and its fun + funny but im sadly wedded to the tyranny of Plot
i didnt really like it. william gaddis never read it so its obviously not required reading
also i burned thru 200 pages of the bourne identity, about halfway through that the main guy kidnaps a woman and hits her and threatens her w/ death repeatedly, and drags her into a situation in which she can never not fear for her life again, and then 100 pages later this woman asks him to 'make love' to her at which point i realised there were like 400 pages left and took it straight to the oxfam bookshop

cleanhands posted:

also i burned thru 200 pages of the bourne identity, about halfway through that the main guy kidnaps a woman and hits her and threatens her w/ death repeatedly, and drags her into a situation in which she can never not fear for her life again, and then 100 pages later this woman asks him to 'make love' to her at which point i realised there were like 400 pages left and took it straight to the oxfam bookshop

don't like romance eh

beckett said he wrote the trilogy when he thought about how he could not measure up to joyce and decide instead to embrace stupidity and impotence
yeah thats why its probably better
becket is fuken Gaey he keep making me distrust all the gay lil fascist shit i liek
ur a gaey fascist. embrace it. haev sex with a man. http://www.steamworksonline.com/chicago/chicago.html

deadken posted:

aerdil posted:

hmmm i'm gonna go to this book talk methinks:

thjat sounds rly bad

haha yeah it sounds like the worst book written this year and i wanted to write something snarky on my english department's facebook when i saw that but i'd probably get kicked out for being anti-semitic or something

Impper posted:

beckett said he wrote the trilogy when he thought about how he could not measure up to joyce and decide instead to embrace stupidity and impotence

uh not really. he said he would write a negative (in the sense of absence) work rather than a positive one since he felt joyce had basically written the ultimate positive thing

babyfinland posted:

Impper posted:

uh not really. he said he would write a negative (in the sense of absence) work rather than a positive one since he felt joyce had basically written the ultimate positive thing

let me just take this one for you impper, ill do my best impression

Lol no Gay

what's a muslim?

why, someone who's read the qu'ran

what's a catholic

someone who has UNDERSTOOD the qu'ran
[account deactivated]
also: i'm reorganizing my bookshelf at the moment, moving out some of the old crud, moving in the new shiit i've got....what do you reckon a god way to sort it is

by author?
genre?
size of book?
some sort of Jewey decimal system?....

i want something aesthetically pleasing more than totally coherent
i sort by broad topic in the way they are related in my head

so like one of my bookshelves goes:

french poststructuralism
anarchism -> trotskyism
zizek -> contemporary theory -> badiou

i think i might donate or sell my books one day though...

getfiscal posted:

i sort by broad topic in the way they are related in my head

so like one of my bookshelves goes:

french poststructuralism
anarchism -> trotskyism
zizek -> contemporary theory -> badiou

i think i might donate or sell my books one day though...

nah you should keep them

i'm a bit of a slob and don't engage in much consumerism apart from tobacco and booze but books are the one thing i sort of fetishize.

went to the sydney uni book fair last weekend and got about 15 books for $32 (including Kapital, worth reading?)

his earlier stuff is better
[account deactivated]

also: i'm reorganizing my bookshelf at the moment, moving out some of the old crud, moving in the new shiit i've got....what do you reckon a god way to sort it is

by author?
genre?
size of book?
some sort of Jewey decimal system?....

i want something aesthetically pleasing more than totally coherent

i did alpha by author for a long time but people seemed to think it was really weird for some reason?

for aesthetics maybe just focus on size and color and such. it would take forever for other people to find things though

i love my books but i guess i've always thought i'd eventually move on from this sort of junk and just keep a few books that mean a lot to me
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i love my books too but don't the pages get inky, getfringus. are you the pagemasterbater

don't use such words against my bookywooks

[account deactivated]

TG posted:

for aesthetics maybe just focus on size and color and such. it would take forever for other people to find things though

Doesn't matter cuz none of my friends are smart enough to read the sort of books I have…..Anne Rice and Robert Ludlam are pretty dense

[account deactivated]