zak "struggling to" cope
the thing i dont understand about these complete u-turns is that is he disavowing the labour theory of value and its implications? the nature of the sale of labour power as a commodity and the implications therein? because any rube can draw the card that says "capitalism has resulted in a bumper yield of use-values" and unleash a grey-water geyser of 1776 Smith against the corn laws.

his style comes across as tawdry jeremiad, and perhaps its the slugs of hegel i've been drinking but there's no reason in his disavowal, its emotive confessional excoriation; where the fetters of personal reaction to individual events corrode ones ability to comprehend the messy complexity of the capitalism arc in toto. discard emotion, put politics in command

good luck sleeping in your procrustean bed, cope-man
anyway, i read Owen Smith's New View of sOciety; th short pamphlet "on the medieval origins of the modern state" (Strayer) and am now reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles

lo posted:

drwhat posted:

no, unfortunately pro wrestlers are quite bad at writing memoirs

Bret Hart's memoir is actually very good because he's so self-serious that he's convinced he is creating an actual historical document.

But then he turns around and starts lying about how awful it was for him to be constantly cheating on his wife with waitresses

yet when I say it was awful for bret hart to be constantly cheating on his wife with waitresses, im telling the truth.. this world is so corrupt…..
hoisting myself up by my own petard on the thousand jew hill, overlooking 100,000 palestinian bodies, I said to myself, "You are the smart guy mister"

Constantignoble posted:

Constantignoble posted:

Just finished reading Colin Drumm's dissertation, "The Difference That Money Makes"...

Update: After chewing on this for a couple of months, I think I've gestated some responses to Drumm. I no longer believe that his chapter critiquing Marx succeeds, though the rest of the book is still plenty interesting, and I give points for at least making one of the more unique attacks I've seen.

If anyone else here has read chapter 1, let me know. I'm eager to discuss the specifics, but whereas the audience here is fairly sympathetic to my position from the outset, I'd prefer that folks look it over independently; when I attempt to express the arguments alongside arguing against them, I've found the feedback has been a bit less muscular than I've hoped. It's probably just not a good way to absorb an argument, to see it summarized and then immediately attacked.

put it up and i'll give it a whirl!

The full book is linked in the quote. My response needs a bit of tidying; I'll attempt to do so over the weekend.
i've been reading V. I. Lenin's "The State and Revolution". you guys heard of this guy? not bad