just volume 1 or the others as well?

Agnus_Dei posted:

i finished the bible. yay for me

which version

Agnus_Dei posted:

i finished the bible. yay for me

now read the apocrypha

you can't, like, "finish" the bible, man
President Obama’s high school pot dealer who he thanked in his yearbook for the 'good times' was beaten to death by his lover after a series of fights over flatulence and drugs, MailOnline can reveal today.

innsmouthful posted:

which version

the New American Bible, Revised Edition. it's the official catholic bible in America. it has thorough introductions and footnotes that go over historical settings, authorship, references, translation notes, interpretation, etc. it also contains the seven books not found in protestant bibles

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

bolded part translates as "who have castrated themselves". won't fuss with the greek bc i am very bad at it but it says the same phrase. the nabre has a remarkably bad footnote on this passage which fails to call attention to this simple, basic, obvious point of translation. instead it claims the literal translation is the kjv translation "made themselves eunuchs", even though the kjv translation was already an attempt to evade the obvious meaning of the original text.

i'll grant you that they should have said the literal translation was 'castrated themselves', but 'made themselves eunuchs' and 'castrated themselves' do still essentially have the same meaning.

i used to think eunuchs had the dong chopped right off!!! I was Dumb!
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Agnus_Dei posted:

innsmouthful posted:

which version

the New American Bible, Revised Edition. it's the official catholic bible in America. it has thorough introductions and footnotes that go over historical settings, authorship, references, translation notes, interpretation, etc. it also contains the seven books not found in protestant bibles

i bought the NABRE on your recommendation, BTW.

im reading Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State and this part reads like a tpaine post:

Gunther asks for Brunhild in marriage, and Etzel for Kriemhild, though they have never seen them. Similarly, in Gutrun, Sigebant of Ireland asks for the Norwegian Ute, whom he has never seen, Hetel of Hegelingen for Hilde of Ireland, and, finally, Siegfried of Moorland, Hartmut of Ormany and Herwig of Seeland for Gutrun, and here Gutrun’s acceptance of Herwig is for the first time voluntary.

chickeon posted:

i used to think eunuchs had the dong chopped right off!!! I was Dumb!

me too lol

Agnus_Dei posted:

k good i was concerned. this is the proper bible to use and i commend you for your accomplishment. i got one of these for my first communion and then another for confirmation and they are hearty tomes.

anyone here read The Baffler? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1QlyxaZBRlSHpxRHd4Z1RpQms/edit?usp=sharing

elektrenai posted:

anyone here read The Baffler? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1QlyxaZBRlSHpxRHd4Z1RpQms/edit?usp=sharing

Why are we perfectly willing to ascribe agency to a strand of DNA (however "metaphorically"), but consider it absurd to do the same with an electron, a snowflake, or a coherent electromagnetic field?

I fucking love David R.R. Graeber.

http://rhcp2014.com/
does Montenegro even exist? it's like the Delaware of Europe.
more like rhode island
the above post should be read with "sassy" fingersnaps, talkin out the neck, etc., but the reading of posts is a total waste of time so it probably shouldn't

palafox posted:

the above post should be read with "sassy" fingersnaps, talkin out the neck, etc., but the reading of posts is a total waste of time so it probably shouldn't

wanna read this book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protest_Psychosis

its on libgen.org
i have been to montenegro. podgorica has its charms but the coast is really beautiful; it's full of sheltered bays and cascading hills, dotted with churches and beaches and stunning medieval towns, in particular sveti stefan, and it definitely does not exist
i'm reading spectres of marx lol by derrida lol and the whole book is basically 'i remain faithful to what i take to be the "spirit" of marx while totally abandoning all the things he actually said also ghosts or whatever' lol

deadken posted:

i have been to montenegro. podgorica has its charms but the coast is really beautiful; it's full of sheltered bays and cascading hills, dotted with churches and beaches and stunning medieval towns, in particular sveti stefan, and it definitely does not exist

podgarica is close to real montenegro, the coast is now some Russian disney land with 5 euro espressos. fucking ridiculous.

deadken posted:

i'm reading spectres of marx lol by derrida lol and the whole book is basically 'i remain faithful to what i take to be the "spirit" of marx while totally abandoning all the things he actually said also ghosts or whatever' lol

sounds fuckin Tight

flipped thru this at the bookstore, exactly the sort of beta supplicating romantic nonsense i expected, but even worse because it was half dressed up as philosophy. the woman screws his friend and he still blames himself; constant detached references to what a 'romantic partner' in a relationship does without ever really considering that maybe a man and a woman's perspective of the relationship is generally quite different

it was good to flick through and nurture my anti-intellectual sensibilities: it's comforting to be reminded that people who are very smart can be very, very dumb
[account deactivated]
lol alain de botton is not very smart. please see my blog for further information
iwc read how to think more about sex it's the most hideous book ever written

deadken posted:

iwc read how to think more about sex it's the most hideous book ever written

i don't think i could stand it after this one:

his doe-eyed baldy adoration, her purse-lipped contempt, the silent flight back over the channel, the argument-filled driving holiday of Spain that he convinces himself is fixing their relationship.

the amazons comment had a thing about some aunt giving it to her teenage nephew, blaugh

PS: when i say smart obviously i don't mean intelligent, but smart as in 'brights'

honestly i feel like i need to read elementary particles again just to get it out of my system