every time one of you mention the elementary particles or hollerback in general i think to myself "hm i wonder if that's worth reading" then i go and check the wiki page and it just looks so fucking boring. i really don't get how people get so excited over all these ~~literary~~ books that all seem to boil down to angsty middle-aged men with stylized sex lives, just sounds like a bunch of authorial self-insertion to me
idk maybe read the book?
post it on the pdf forum
i read eddie little - another day in paradise
man without qualities. lots of kewl pseudointellect babble
i just read a tom robbins book, kinda awful, was my previous girlfriend's favorite book which is amusing considering the implicit 60s hippy misogyny
hes like an even more narcissistic and pompous version of impper
still life with woodpecker was terrible, simply awful, i didnt even bother finishing it
fuck tom robbins
[account deactivated]
alain de botton is pretty famously stupid
a good antidote is henry miller "the air conditioned nightmare"
a good antidote is my new blog po
[account deactivated]
ma meeshka mow skwoz
i started reading altusser after reading foucault and holy crap this is so much easier to read
* If you started at 20 years of age and worked until you were 50 or
so, saving $200,000 a year, you would still have, at a rate of 5 per cent
compound interest, only $14 million, less than half of the lower limits
we have taken for the great American fortunes.
But if you had bought only $9,900 worth of General Motors stock in
1913, and, rather than use your judgment, had gone into a coma—allow-
ing the proceeds to pile up in General Motors—then,in 1953, you would
have about $7 million.
And, if you had not even exercised the judgment of choosing General
Motors, but merely put $10,000 into each of the total of 480 stocks
fisted in 1913—a total investment of about $1 million—and then gone
into a coma until 1953, you would have come out worth $10 million
and have received in dividends and rights another $10 million. The in-
crease in value would have amounted to about 899 per cent, the divi-
dend return at 999 per cent. Once you have the million, advantages
would accumulate—even for a man in a coma.
[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:

every time one of you mention the elementary particles or hollerback in general i think to myself "hm i wonder if that's worth reading" then i go and check the wiki page and it just looks so fucking boring. i really don't get how people get so excited over all these ~~literary~~ books that all seem to boil down to angsty middle-aged men with stylized sex lives, just sounds like a bunch of authorial self-insertion to me

well it's been a while since i read it, but the sex scenes in elementary particles were all pretty uniformly pathetic and gross. unlike the sex stuff in possibility of an island, where it's consciously ostensibly pathetic but still sometimes material an old gallic freak could slaver over, the stuff in elementary particles (at least what i could remember) is somewhat apparently based on humiliating personal stuff all the way around- the good kind of self insertion.
there's a scene of schoolboy-on-schoolboy sexual bullying, though, if you think that might turn ya crank a lil more

[account deactivated]
french reactionary fic
michel houllebecq, the would-be-celine who's just bernard henri-levy's public butt boy.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i'd read the shit out of that and it would be a lot better than anything houllebecq ever did
Call for Papers: HIV Space Jam Monster Dunk Directly Into French Public Intellectual Mouth

c_man posted:

i started reading altusser after reading foucault and holy crap this is so much easier to read

Softened up your head did it?

good to know that third place aint not houllebecq girl
[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:

why is authorial self-insertion bad?

Bablu posted:

thirdplace posted:

its sinful

word. when i read the map and the territory and he starts talking about how he's going to be a character in his own book the eye rolls were endless. he's a good writer but damn... grow up, you irritating narcissist
maybe i'm not "smart" enough... maybe i just don't "get" it... barf. later dudes, S you in your As
YOUVE GOT THE FAIL AIDS
[account deactivated]

Bablu posted:

thirdplace posted:

it's good when it's from a good author, which houllebecq is usually not. roth uses it to make things jokey or toy with his own considerable public image. houllebecq's "i'm so unhappy and so so rich and can't handle my importance" act in "the map and the territory" is not the act of self-excoriation he pretends it is, and him writing himself younger fawning sexual partners in "possibility of an island" is pathetic.

KRAMER: Here, George, get a Houllebecq.

GEORGE: I'm not getting a Houllebecq.

(George grabs the book and walks a few steps over by the magazines -- Kramer follows him)

KRAMER: Why? That’ll make great dinner party conversation. We'll read it at the dinner table.

GEORGE: Oh, that's nice.

(Kramer takes a bite of the Clark Bar)

KRAMER: Come on, did you ever read one of these?

(Kramer take the Houllebecq from George and starts to leaf through it)

GEORGE: It's not real. They're all made up.

KRAMER: Ohh, it's real.

KRAMER: (reading from the Houllebecq) "I know this is going to sound like a crazy fantasy but every word of this story is true…" (exits to street) " A few weeks ago my girlfriend happened to mention to me how attractive she thought our new neighbor Linda was…"

GEORGE: L-Look at this?

KRAMER: Ahh.

GEORGE: Somebody double parked and blocked us in. D-DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHOSE CAR THAT IS? Maybe there's a note on it. Ohh-oh brother. No, no note. Can you believe this?

KRAMER: "…well of course I noticed it too with those ample breasts and pouty lips. I don't have to tell you she was a knock out…." (turns the page)
houellebecq is a terrible prose stylist, an awful dialogue writer, his characters are paper-thin, his plotting nonexistent, he openly copies large sections of text from wikipedia, his books are good and i like them
houellbecq's books are sickly awful, and i am a pile of garbage, so it's a match made in heaven
im writing a book about houellebecq