its almost as if

jools posted:

babyfinland posted:

uh grover furr comes across like a baby huey style retard in that though

its almost as if

grover furr and sex tourism seem like a perfect fit too

[account deactivated]

HenryKrinkle posted:

Here are my comments on your Dutch friend's remarks.

"It is also useful to read the document produced by the Central Committee on the subject in 1956 (i.e. after Molotov c.s. were shoved out of power), where they did a more thorough analysis than K. had done in his speech, called 'On Overcoming the Cult of Personality and its Consequences'. Here the CC basically analyzed the reverse of the Furr thesis: outside pressures as well as the logic of industrialization in a very short time had let to a destruction of the 'party democracy' in the USSR, which then allowed Stalin to construct a cult of personality around himself... why do these documents, created with the agreement of the party itself mere years after Stalin's death, not count as 'proof'?"

I assume your friend is talking about the "Molotov Commission" report. I also assume he hasn't read it himself, because it has not been translated and your friend says he can't read Russian.

That report is published in _Reabilitatsiia. Kak Eto Bylo_. Vol. 2 (Moscow 2003), pp. 150-274. I have studied it, of course.

It does not "count as 'proof'" because it is not evidence. AT BEST it is a secondary source -- a study of the evidence.

But in fact it isn't that either, because there's no reference to the evidence, and that evidence is not available to check against the "conclusions" presented in the report.

There is a dishonest and tendentious discussion of it in Matthew Lenoe's very recent book _The Kirov Murder and Soviet History_ (Yale UP 2010), 575-605. Lenoe loves it because it concludes there was no conspiracy against Kirov. But Lenoe notes that it can't be trusted, since the people in charge of it (Molotov was NOT one of them) destroyed documents that didn't "fit" their preconceived conclusion, and concentrated on giving Khrushchev what he wanted -- which was to blame Stalin for everything.

But this is just an aside.To repeat: it isn't evidence because it is a series of fact-claims without evidence.

Your friend doesn't know what evidence is. Then he proceeds to lecture me (and you) about history!

"But if his sources prove so obviously what he claims, how come nobody else uses them?

This is a lie.

Moreover, it's illiterate. Lots and lots of scholars cite the very same sources I cite. Obviously your friend doesn't know any of them.

He's not the only one who knows Russian and has an interest in current-day writing on Soviet history. Fitzpatrick knows Russian, so do McDermott, Viola, and the whole current generation of Soviet historians in the West. On the other hand, I do not know Russian and can't verify at all what Furr is talking about, especially since Furr's sources are not corroborated anywhere else.

What does "Furr's sources are not corroborated anywhere else" mean? That nobody else uses them? That's a lie (see above).

Whatever it means, how can your friend possibly make this statement, since he doesn't read Russian?

Viola has been writing about collectivization for decades now, not about Trotsky at all. McDermott is a foaming-at-the-mouth anticommunist liar, a completely dishonest and unprincipled person.

So for all I know he might be quoting complete nutcases who write newspaper articles in some Russian tabloid. These sort of things are why we have peer review in academia, sharing of sources, referencing current literature on the subject, and so on; in other words, the accepted methods of historical science."

This is, to put it politely, nonsense.

The field of Soviet history does not function at all according to "the accepted methods of historical science." It is a completely dishonest field. It is ideologically anticommunist, period. No one who is not an anticommunist can teach in this area. Major questions, such as the Moscow Trials, are taken for granted -- they were "frameups", even though there is no evidence for such a thing.

Here's what Arch Getty says about this incredibly dishonest -- fraudulent, really -- field of study on his home page:

"It is a sad sign of the politicized Cold War origins and primitive development of Soviet studies that such concentration on factors other than Stalin's personality has been considered radical."
In fact it is much worse than this.

Virtually every well-known, well-respected mainstream historian of the Stalin period lies -- repeatedly, blatantly. Their colleagues NEVER call them on it. They cover for each other.

None of this would be tolerated in, say, American history -- where there's a good deal of apologetics too, but where phony evidence gets you in trouble. Not in Soviet history! There, phony evidence, and phonier "analysis" of that evidence, is everywhere, and gets you praise!

"Note he has written what presumably purports to be a serious work of historical research, some 160 pages long. What does his bibliography consist of? Some generic primary sources; some references to himself; a bunch of things he took quotations from; a couple of Russian sources that are unverifiable for the reasons mentioned above; and some Trotskyists he selectively quotes."

This is simply a lie. Moreover, a conscious lie, since your friend doesn't read Russian and can't know what some of the sources are or anything about those who wrote them.

In the bibliograrphy I cite not "a couple" but _many_ mainstream anticommunist historians. In 40+ citations I have TWO to my own work.

I cite the following Trotskyists: Van Heijenoort, Rogovin, Pierre Broue (four if you include Fel'shtinsky, but that is a work of scholarship, not a Trotskyist screed). Broue's article is heavily scholarly.

So what? But see the following section.

"In Furr's work, there is other than Getty not a single reference to any modern-day historian or historical work on the USSR.

This is a lie. Also, it is illiterate. Here are some of the "modern-day historians... on the USSR" that I cite in my bibliography: Cherushev, Coox, Iunge & Binner, Jansen & Petrov, Kantor, Khaustov and Samuel'son, Main, Pavliukov, Rogovin, Rokitianskii,

Your friend is both a liar and an ignorant person.

There is not a single discussion of how representative the endless quotations are. There is not a single discussion about the context of the quotations, what their value is, and why Furr thinks that we should take them as meaning what he thinks they mean.

This is a lie. Also, illiterate. Read the article! I have very, very long and detailed discussions of the context, problems of interpretation, methods of verification and cross-checking. I discuss questions of interpretation at great length.

Your friend either didn't read my article or has read it but thinks you haven't read it and can lie to you about it.

All of these things are absolutely essential in any serious historical work - anyone who presented what Furr did as a thesis in a History programme would fail. This shows to me that neither Furr nor his supporters understand what scientific history looks like... Mere quotation-mongering is just that, it's bad journalism, not history."

This is a lie. The opposite is true. See my comments above.

Your friend has either not read the article carefully, or believes you have not done so.

He is a liar, utterly dishonest, and incompetent. It's impossible to discuss anything with a person as dishonest as him.

Read my article yourself, Vlazzarano. Obviously you haven't done it. If you had, you could have written what I wrote here yourself, or most of it.

Get yourself another friend. This one is worse than worthless: dishonest, a faker.

Sincerely,

Grover Furr

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373210&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post385899151

noice

babyfinland posted:

retarded... retarded good. grover furr comes across like a badass who tore mccaine a new one.

getfiscal posted:

babyfinland posted:

retarded... retarded good. grover furr comes across like a badass who tore mccaine a new one.

he got some good swipes at matthijs's pompous overstatements but then proceeded to launch into a big declaration of the vast conspiracy of anticommunism and bla bla bla and sounded like a mentally imbalanced shut-in announcing an everlasting love for aerith. i can see why you're partial to him though.

yeah there's no vast anti-communist conspiracy. millions of tonnes of explosives were dropped on vietnam for no particular reason.
academia: just a free discussion of ideas, sort of like a marketplace.
I choose Tifa, and methodological individualism

getfiscal posted:

yeah there's no vast anti-communist conspiracy. millions of tonnes of explosives were dropped on vietnam for no particular reason.

oh man are you gonna rake in the upvotes for that one

HenryKrinkle posted:

Fun fact: In Europe they call them Will Porter bars

i would say the answer is somewhere in the middle, donald and tom
I would say the answer always lies on the furthest position to the right, personally.
does anyone know where fo find the grover furr smackdown
here was mccaine's reply at the time:

haha that Furr reply... pretty much what I expected. Lots of invective, not much attempt at actually answering the point. My point about his sources is clearly not that none of them are cited by anyone else - surely people other than him also cite Getty. But if I want to read Getty I'll read Getty, not Furr. Obviously my point refers to the sources he specifically uses that do not appear in the rest of historical writing about the USSR that I have read, and I have read a considerable amount of it. Indeed note that all the people he claims he cites of current-day scholarship are Russians, not Western writers. Why is that? Why would every single bit of Western scholarship be irredeemably biased (which is frankly cheap bullshit), but Russian works not be, despite the political structure of current-day Russia? This whole thing smells of conspiratorial crap. If his sources are so much superior, why doesn't he submit this to a journal, or translate them, so everyone can read it? It's also rather rich of him to mention a number of historians there who explicitly say the opposite of what he does, like e.g. N.S. Cherushev, who in his book (which I do happen to know about) argues that there wasn't a military conspiracy against the government in 1937.

He claims he has a long discussion of interpretation, sources etc. He does in that Trotsky article. But his discussion and his approach seem to be entirely unrelated; he discusses mainly about how you can't prove a negative etc. and how people may have personal interests in the matter, which is why he likes quoting Trotskyists and 'outsiders' when convenient (which is a typical tactic of Stalinists for some reason, one that Trotskyists have copied ever since). This isn't the point at all though, the point of such a discussion should be about why his work is based on quotation-mining in the first place, how his work is situated in the current-day scholarship, why we should take any of his sources as proving what he claims they prove, etc. He does none of that.

With regard to the "Molotov report", I don't know what he's talking about. I mean the report I mentioned, which has been translated into English, so I can read it just fine.

getfiscal posted:

You're talking to people with dreams of being unremarkable petit-bourgeois academics. At least real academics have shame about what they do, wannabes here throw away any ideology for a chance at feeling important.

Grover Furr is 100% right. McCain may say ideology is a point of class struggle (because Marx does) but he obviously doesn't believe it. Anyone who believes Soviet scholarship in the Anglo-Saxon world is remotely close to reality belongs on an obscure blog posting things no one cares about.

babyfinland posted:

after your dating profile was posted I was hoping you'd go back into hiding for a while, the way you look and your personality are even more hilarious than I thought.

babyhueypnewton posted:

getfiscal posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

getfiscal posted:

You're talking to people with dreams of being unremarkable petit-bourgeois academics. At least real academics have shame about what they do, wannabes here throw away any ideology for a chance at feeling important.

Grover Furr is 100% right. McCain may say ideology is a point of class struggle (because Marx does) but he obviously doesn't believe it. Anyone who believes Soviet scholarship in the Anglo-Saxon world is remotely close to reality belongs on an obscure blog posting things no one cares about.

what are your dreams and aspirations hewey? personally, i want to be a hollywood movie star.

[account deactivated]
mccaine won with that reply

babyhueypnewton posted:

babyfinland posted:

after your dating profile was posted I was hoping you'd go back into hiding for a while, the way you look and your personality are even more hilarious than I thought.

is it hilarious baby huey

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i just hope you all never find MY dating profile...holy shit...

Not hard to find:
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/jack_reacher

I joined the militaty when I was 17 yrs old. I'm really not quite sure why I did. But if I had to answer that question I'd say it was because there is an inherent nobility in being a soldier. The idea of fighting for someone that can't fight for themselves is probably the reason why I'm still a soldier. I love being a soldier. However, I hate the fact that we are the ones that suffer the most because of someones political agenda. I proudly served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, from Jan. 2003-Feb. 2004. I'll bet you're wondering what my opinion is on the war. Well, in my humble opinion, I think that every country deserves freedom. However, I think that we could have handled it in a more diplomatic and less violent way.

The six things I could never do without
1. My Friends and Family
2. a good nights sleep
3. U2 best of 1980-1990 Album
4. U2 best of 1990-2000 Album
5. a good book
6. my bookbag... been everywhere with it.

I’m looking for
Girls who like guys
Ages 18–99
Near me
Who are single
For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating, activity partners, long-distance penpals, casual sex

[account deactivated]

libelous_slander posted:

I joined the militaty when I was 17 yrs old. I'm really not quite sure why I did. But if I had to answer that question I'd say it was because there is an inherent nobility in being a soldier. The idea of fighting for someone that can't fight for themselves is probably the reason why I'm still a soldier. I love being a soldier. However, I hate the fact that we are the ones that suffer the most because of someones political agenda. I proudly served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, from Jan. 2003-Feb. 2004. I'll bet you're wondering what my opinion is on the war. Well, in my humble opinion, I think that every country deserves freedom. However, I think that we could have handled it in a more diplomatic and less violent way.

1. My Friends and Family
2. a good nights sleep
5. a good book

I’m looking for
Girls who like guys
Ages 18–99
Near me
Who are single
For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating, activity partners, long-distance penpals, casual sex

the incomprehensible scribbles of Modern Russian, lost in time

MadMedico posted:

libelous_slander posted:

1. My Friends and Family
2. a good nights sleep
5. a good book

I’m looking for
Girls who like guys
Ages 18–99
Near me
Who are single

welp back to MEPS i go!

hi all, quick question: does anyone kno where a fella can find the babyfinland dating profile
tags: #Fedora #Enlightened #ReallySmrt #Love2Laugh #LuisCk #BigThick&CutPastedLink
http://includes.okcimg.com/profile/derp_derp_derpa
Looks like the Grover furr house of cards came tumbling down , due to shoddy construction. Just my op
can i see the baby finland dating profile

Impper posted:

can i see the baby finland dating profile

gwap's your man for all your baby finland dating profile needs

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=babyfinland+match
lmao, they will find tom's posts when they google his match.com username.

"So, you hate Jews and want to nuke israel huh? Me too."

HenryKrinkle posted:

What's the problem here, buster.