geez you guys are harsh!

Impper posted:
geez you guys are harsh!

i just wwanted to write about rape

I AM READING the ambassadors, by, henry james. FUCK the ambassadors, by, henry james.
what are your fave rapenovels. i like j.m.m. coetzee's disgrace

animedad posted:

whipping girl by julie serano

I am going back to God Blessed America in a week where people actually know how to read and shit so I can buy some books. Anybody know some good books about Sudanese and other North African (non-Moroccan and Egyptian) history or any shit like that?

animedad posted:

Star Wars: Jedi of Leghandi

It raped my childhood!

is this a set up for a Game of Thrones joke because that is sooooo unoriginal!

tpaine posted:
corpus christy!

lol

Right now I'm reading A Theology of Liberation by Gustavo Gutierrez, which (so I'm told) defined and popularized Liberation Theology, and also just started tonight A Brief History of Neoliberalism by David Harvey. Oh, and with regard to fiction, the Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes. Good stuff, all-around!

I would ask though, can anyone recommend any books on radical leftism that I could get on Amazon or at a major book retailer? I recall seeing somewhere on the internet a reader full of communiques and letters that the Red Army Faction published, but if I recall correctly, that was only available off this one shifty-looking website. That sort of stuff interests me, and if anyone has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated
The Black Panthers Speak
by shifty website, are you talking about library.nu, fvckverso, or aaaaarg
d oyou mean kerspledeb
Okay, nm, found it on amazon after a bit of searching: The Red Army Faction, a Documentary History: Volume 1: Projectiles for the People

I've also considered reading The Badder Meinhof Complex, which is supposed to be the definitive history of the Red Army Faction.
i literally googled kerspledeb expecting the frib grundlesworthy result set, but to my surprise and delight,
is library one of them invite things and if so can a dude get a invite????

Enoch posted:
A Theology of Liberation by Gustavo Gutierrez

is this cool? i was playing twilight struggle the other day (as USSR obv) and i played the Liberation Theology card and i was like hmm that was a pretty good card, maybe i should read some of that shit

shennong posted:
is this cool? i was playing twilight struggle the other day (as USSR obv) and i played the Liberation Theology card and i was like hmm that was a pretty good card, maybe i should read some of that shit

I'm only about 50ish pages in, but it's very detailed and sort of dense, but it's very intriguing. It was written in the early 70s, iirc, and is by a Peruvian priest, so it mixes Christian (primarily Catholic, I assume) teachings on God and the relation of the secular/non-spiritual world to God and the spiritual. Primarily, it focuses on the brutal exploitation that Latin America was undergoing at the time, and I guess tries to lay out a path for Christians to follow in the midst of this, and of how to change the world as good Christians?

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, but it's a very detailed book and I'm still trying to fully engage with it.

EDIT: Also, I think worth mentioning, it tries to link (at least it has tried in the pages I've read) the spiritual concept of liberation, as in what Christ did on the cross, to the non-spiritual concept of liberation, which is the struggle of peoples everywhere (but with the focus on Latin America, in the book) to be free of oppression.

Edited by Enoch ()

Enoch posted:

shennong posted:

I'm only about 50ish pages in, but it's very detailed and sort of dense, but it's very intriguing. It was written in the early 70s, iirc, and is by a Peruvian priest, so it mixes Christian (primarily Catholic, I assume) teachings on God and the relation of the secular/non-spiritual world to God and the spiritual. Primarily, it focuses on the brutal exploitation that Latin America was undergoing at the time, and I guess tries to lay out a path for Christians to follow in the midst of this, and of how to change the world as good Christians?

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, but it's a very detailed book and I'm still trying to fully engage with it.

cool stuff

jacques lacan: a feminist introduction by Grosz and debt by graeber. both are good thus far
isn't liberation theology nothing more than a transparent attempt by the catholic church to play both sides of the fence by 'embracing and extending' revolutionary peoples war, with the ultimate aim of neutering/coopting genuine liberatory movements and ensuring the church maintained a central social position whatever the eventual outcome.

quickly (and predictably) disavowed in the wake of capitalist triumph
iirc liberation theology was actually condemned by the catholic church for embracing secular thinkers like marx?

blinkandwheeze posted:
iirc liberation theology was actually condemned by the catholic church for embracing secular thinkers like marx?

of course they'd have to say that wouldn't they

gyrofry posted:
isn't liberation theology nothing more than a transparent attempt by the catholic church to play both sides of the fence by 'embracing and extending' revolutionary peoples war, with the ultimate aim of neutering/coopting genuine liberatory movements and ensuring the church maintained a central social position whatever the eventual outcome.

this is true of all christianity, to herd the sheep populations of the world into the hands of the Jew

babyfinland posted:

gyrofry posted:

this is true of all christianity, to herd the sheep populations of the world into the hands of the Jew

nazi pope is secret jew

gyrofry posted:

babyfinland posted:

gyrofry posted:

nazi pope is secret jew

secret pope is a jew nazi

http://mwcnews.net/focus/analysis/9183-zionist-revisionism.html

anyway oi just finished vol. iii of wallerstein's modern world-system, it's good as heck yall
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

animedad posted:

portnoy's complaint

To kill a mockingbird
[account deactivated]
i don't know why they left out the part from the book where he kills the kid at the zoo lol
The @tao_lin and @nytyrant reading was HIGHlarious tonight. Boo to the girl who was groaning audibly in the front though.
10 hours ago
I started Platform because it's the only Houllebecq my library has. It's pretty cool so far, Frennch nihilist dude talking about sex a lot. Had a lot of trouble findingit because I can never remember how to spell Houllebecq
I am so fucking houllebecqian i can't even remember what they translated Extension du domaine de la lutte to
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

animedad posted:

Iliad

[account deactivated]