discipline posted:
Perhaps what is most telling is that, as a society, we regulate these hormonally influenced behaviors in a way that seems to exaggerate their natural effects. We actively discourage boys from crying, even though testosterone itself should reduce the chance of this happening. And we encourage men to act on their sex drives (by praising them as "studs") while discouraging women from doing the same (by dismissing them "sluts"), despite the fact that most women will end up having a lower sex drive than most men .

Further, since some attributes that are considered feminine (eg. being more in tune with one's emotions) or masculine (e.g. being preoccupied with sex) are clearly affected by our hormones, attempts by some gender theorists to frame femininity and masculinity as being entirely artificial or performative seem misplaced.

whoever wrote this isnt much of a biologist let alone feminist

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
lol does that book cite tv sitcoms or something. if so, so pomo
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

If I offered you ten million dollars under the condition that you live as the other sex for the rest of your life, would you take me up on the offer?

<louis ck voice> are you shitting me? i'd do that shit for free. gladly.
well dont tell her that, get the cool 10 mill. geez people.
Hey White Man, are you sad. Its because youre actually a woman. Think about it. Youre being covertly oppressed by your false self. Transgenderism as New Age Cult.

babyfinland posted:
Hey White Man, are you sad. Its because youre actually a woman. Think about it. Youre being covertly oppressed by your false self. Transgenderism as New Age Cult.

if someone gave me 10 million dollars for whatever reason there's a non-zero chance i'm going to end up looking like grace kelly. but that's just how i roll. (my name will be february jones.)

i just finished im not stiller
i want to read some thomas mann. what are some good ones
[account deactivated]
im a transgender writing a transdisciplinary study on the transcendental experiences of the transreligious while listening to the trans-siberian orchestra. trans.

aerdil posted:
im a transgender writing a transdisciplinary study on the transcendental experiences of the transreligious while listening to the trans-siberian orchestra. trans.

check your privilege

[account deactivated]
u missed transhumanism, transcendental empiricism, transylvania, transnistria, transduction, and the transporter, starring jason statham

deadken posted:
i want to read some thomas mann. what are some good ones

stories of 3 decades

deadken posted:
i just finished im not stiller

how was it? i just got a bunch of dalkey books that are going to sit on my bookshelf looking cool for a while

gosh i really need to learn other languages better

it fuckin owned, but the back cover kept on going on about kafka and its nothing like kafka despite its premise.
altho i think impper said he cried at the end.... like its really good but not that good
it wasn't so much the quality of the writing, though it was excellent, and a beautiful movement (also i'd been conditioned by dazai for this sort of thing), but more the content, and the "things i'm going through" or so on

deadken posted:
it fuckin owned, but the back cover kept on going on about kafka and its nothing like kafka despite its premise.

yea it has nothing to do with kafka. but i dont read the backs of book covers, or descriptions really anymore because htey never do any justice

and sho on
post the back cover of ur book imp
heres my kindle highlights for revolutionary social change in colombia, a fantastic book on the FARC-EP. i didnt start highlighting until i was like halfway through the book though. the book makes a convincing case that the guerillas aren't "narco-guerillas" or a crime organization, but a legitimate revolutionary group. i wish i highlighted one of the things that explained how their tax system works, theres a basic sales tax of 7-15% and a class-based tax system for millionaires. the tax against those with a million dollars of income or more is the only tax that goes to the FARC-EP, while the rest goes to local councils that the government set up. they could just as easily be called petro-guerillas because they tax drugs in the same way they tax oil exploiters.

==========
Revolutionary Social Change - James J. Brittain (James J. Brittain)
- Highlight on Page 240 | Added on Friday, December 02, 2011, 10:09 PM

Washington and Bogotá formulated a conjoined economic and militaristic plan to target the peasant-based enclaves (Ampuero and Brittain, 2005). Movements (and theorists) can learn from this: that selective autonomous non-transformative movements cannot create a sustainable response to the capital system, but rather block sustainable pathways to social change
==========
- Highlight on Page 244 | Added on Sunday, December 04, 2011, 05:51 PM

they increased from 246 in 2004, to 458 in 2005, to 795 in 2006 and to 911 in 2007. It is a chilling tale: young men of scant resources, drug addicts, homeless people and other vulnerable citizens without strong family ties were assassinated and presented as combat deaths to high military officials.
==========
- Highlight on Page 247 | Added on Sunday, December 04, 2011, 06:03 PM

In October 2008 it was revealed that the United States was not only involved in the intelligence gathering but most likely provided the bombers (Agence France-Presse, 2008d; see also Williamson, 2008). One of the most unsettling circumstances related to the attack was that Comandante Reyes was scheduled to meet with French officials on the morning of March 1 to arrange the release of numerous political prisoners, including Ingrid Betancourt – leading some to claim that the attack was planned to prevent any FARC-EP-negotiated humanitarian prisoner exchange
==========
- Highlight on Page 247 | Added on Sunday, December 04, 2011, 06:05 PM

Colombia has had the third highest abstention ratings on the continent (Coghlan, 2004: 131–2; see also Avilés, 2006: 157n.12). For decades the FARC-EP supported the contestation of conventional elections (Decker and Duran, 1982: 113; Ratliff, 1976: 68). In 1997, the insurgency institutionally “protested elections and called on Colombians to refrain from voting” – more than 50 percent abstained (Petras and Brescia, 2000: 139; see also Eckstein, 2001: 399). Electoral apathy resumed with the 2002 elections, which had the highest abstention ratings up to that point in Colombian history (Murillo and Avirama, 2004: 174). Voter apathy has always been high in FARC-EP territory, averaging 80 percent (Dudley, 2004: 220). Some areas under guerrilla influence have even witnessed abstention ratings of 95–100 percent (Coghlan, 2004: 24, 212; Petras and Brescia, 2000: 139; see also Brittain, 2005c: 36). In one of Putumayo’s largest cities only “177 of the city’s twenty thousand registered voters turned out
==========
- Highlight on Page 250 | Added on Sunday, December 04, 2011, 06:30 PM

Firstly, it ignores the time factor; the Colombian movements have a longer trajectory, allowing them to accumulate an infinitely greater storehouse of practical experiences and making them far more sensitive to the pitfalls of peace accords that fail to transform the state and place structural change at the center of a settlement. The 1980s formal cease-fire between the FARC and the government, in particular, was a salutary learning experience: over 3,000 guerrilla supporters and sympathizers of the newly formed Patriotic Union political party were assassinated by paramilitary death squads and no progress was made in reforming the socio-economic system. Secondly, the FARC guerrilla leadership is made up largely of peasants or individuals with deep ties to the countryside, whereas their counterparts in El Salvador and Nicaragua were primarily middle class professionals eager to return to city life and careers in electoral politics. Third, the geography of the Colombian conflict could not be more different: it encompasses a far larger territory and a topography much more favorable to guerrilla warfare. The FARC guerrillas’ social origins and experiences have made them more familiar with this terrain than was the case with the Central Americans movements. Fourth, the FARC leadership has put socio-economic reforms at the center of their political negotiations, unlike the Central Americans who prioritized the reinsertion of ex-commanders into the electoral process. Fifth, the Colombian guerrillas are totally self-sufficient and are not subject to the pressures and deals of outside supporters-as was the case in Central America. Sixth, and finally, the guerrillas were not impressed by the results of the Central American accords: the ascendancy of neoliberalism; the immunity from prosecution of armed forces’ leaders for major human rights abuses; and the enrichment of many of the ex-guerrilla commanders, some of whom have joined the chorus supporting U.S. intervention in Colombia. (Petras and Morley, 2003: 100)
==========
- Highlight on Page 250 | Added on Sunday, December 04, 2011, 07:11 PM

As one leading theorist of revolution rightly argued, “rebels are not revolutionaries … unless they seriously contend for state power” (Goodwin, 1997: 17; see also Locher, 2002: 238; Nash, 2000: 132). Non-revolutionary social movements that neglect to target the state fail to create substantive social change, while classical approaches of Marxism, such as the industrial proletariat, may be incapable of solely responding to the concrete class construct of a given nation
==========
- Bookmark on Page 251 | Added on Sunday, December 04, 2011, 07:11 PM

==========
- Bookmark on Page 89 | Added on Friday, December 09, 2011, 06:23 PM

==========
- Bookmark on Page 259 | Added on Friday, December 09, 2011, 09:07 PM

==========
- Highlight on Page 98 | Added on Saturday, December 10, 2011, 07:20 PM

Although this might appear to be in contradiction with previous statements concerning the FARC-EP’s Marxist-Leninist position on narcotics, it is argued that the insurgency altered its position toward coca after re-examining the peasantry’s declining social conditions amidst the rural political economy. The guerrillas recognized that growing numbers of people were financially forced to move away from traditional crop production as a result of low returns and/or the need to abandon subsistence agriculture as a result of increasing land centralization via coercive land acquisitions by large landowners.
==========
- Highlight on Page 99 | Added on Saturday, December 10, 2011, 07:33 PM

As well as this intricate class-based taxation model, the FARC-EP has been involved in much simpler excise practices in some rural communities. These levy systems saw the guerrillas collect a tax on amenities such as toothpaste, soap, and in some cases beer, which was reciprocally repaid in full to a community-based body. The taxes were collected but not spent by the FARC-EP. They are forwarded to “an elected committee from the locality” called Juntas Accíon Comunal (JAC) – a locally elected neighborhood council – which implements social programs and infrastructure with the collected funds
==========
- Highlight on Page 102 | Added on Saturday, December 10, 2011, 07:45 PM

With the complete failure of the government to even attempt to provide any basic services to the local population, it is the FARC that has filled the void by helping to build roads and provide electricity, law enforcement, judges and other public services traditionally supplied by the state.
==========
- Bookmark on Page 103 | Added on Saturday, December 10, 2011, 07:47 PM

==========
- Highlight on Page 103 | Added on Saturday, December 10, 2011, 07:47 PM

As one peasant explains, “When someone has a problem with another person, perhaps a fight or something, they can take their complaint to the FARC. The FARC then investigates and determines who is at fault and what the sentence will be.” He goes on to point out that there are no prisons under the FARC, that the sentences handed down to guilty parties include repairing the roads or working in the fields of communal farms.
==========
- Bookmark on Page 115 | Added on Sunday, December 11, 2011, 05:31 PM

==========
- Highlight on Page 262 | Added on Sunday, December 11, 2011, 05:40 PM

27 The word “illicit” is placed in inverted commas because many coca cultivators are in no way connected to the drug economy. One female community leader I interviewed from Cauca adamantly explained this point: First of all there is something that all of you in the North need to understand. Our crops are not illicit, I repeat, not illicit. There is nothing inherently illegal or wrong about some of the crops that some people choose to produce. Look at coca for example. Coca is not illicit, on the contrary, people throughout Latin NOTES 263 America, and specifically the Andes, have been producing coca for thousands of years and commercially for hundreds. This plant is not illicit in our communities! It is not us who makes this crop illicit and it is not the plant that is the problem, it is those that produce the final product . The coca plant has been and continues to be made for many things that are not illicit: tea, cookies, wine, soap, etc. We and all peoples have a right to grow and produce this crop for commercial purposes; however, it is you in the North that fail to understand that we use this crop for many other things other than drugs used by people in your countries. We have a right to make an income off of tea made from coca, we have a right to make coca wine, we have a right to make a living …. Everyone who lives in out region grows crops but only a small number of people in our community grow coca alongside many other crops. Our community conducted a study and found that 70 percent of all the coca grown in our region is used for commercial crops and only a small portion is sold for other reasons . You must tell people that all those who grow coca do not do so for drugs but for domestic consumption through legitimate commercial products. When countries like the United States spray our communities they kill and destroy not only the small number of coca plants used for cocaine but they destroy our entire commercial industry; plantain, yucca, lemons, etc., which also affects our livestock and children whose immune systems are not as strong or developed as the adults. Fumigation chemicals such as glyphosphate bleach into the soil and contaminate various aspects of the communities water supply.
==========
- Highlight on Page 263 | Added on Sunday, December 11, 2011, 05:40 PM

1 2 One US official admitted the goal of fumigation was to structurally displace peasants in order to increase cheap labor in the cities while privately centralizing rural resources (Barstow and Driver, 200
==========
- Bookmark on Page 263 | Added on Sunday, December 11, 2011, 05:41 PM

==========
- Highlight on Page 139 | Added on Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 06:48 PM

One reason for this FARC-EP success may be its distinct approach toward coca growers when compared with the AUC. The FARC-EP protects peasants who choose to cultivate coca (on incredibly small plots of land) whereas the AUC violently forces peasants to harvest coca on immense land tracts or coca plantations
==========
- Bookmark on Page 154 | Added on Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 08:16 PM

==========
- Bookmark on Page 272 | Added on Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 06:29 PM

==========
- Highlight on Page 169 | Added on Saturday, December 17, 2011, 06:22 PM

n many cases it is not even the guerrillas who negotiate the tax system, as JACs have taken on a greater role in negotiating agreements with local companies or MNCs
==========
- Highlight on Page 170 | Added on Saturday, December 17, 2011, 06:26 PM

Ninety, maybe one hundred percent of the news about the conflict or about public order in general are literally produced by the army. So one never completely knows what is going on.
==========
- Highlight on Page 171 | Added on Saturday, December 17, 2011, 06:28 PM

One of the “anti-terrorism” bills seeks to hand down sentences of eight to twelve years in prison for anyone who publishes statistics considered “counterproductive to the fight against terrorism”, as well as the possible “suspension” of the media outlet in question. These sanctions will apply to anybody who divulges “reports that could hamper the effective implementation of military and police operations, endanger the lives of public forces personnel or private individuals”, or commits other acts that undermine public order, “while boosting the position or image of the enemy”
==========
- Highlight on Page 203 | Added on Sunday, December 18, 2011, 06:22 PM

The teachings of Christ and the Apostles are interpreted in various ways, which greatly depend on what part of the world one comes from. In the North, many see the Church as teaching tolerance, acceptance, and to carry the burdens of life in the image of Christ so as to benefit in the life thereafter. This was an important way of teaching Christ, especially considering the development of capitalism in that part of the world, the trade of African slaves, and the treatment of blacks during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries in the United States. This interpretation creates a relationship that is individualistic. In the South, especially in Central and South America, many people have internalized the Church not as an institution but as a relationship with others. The Church is not a building per se but our brothers and sisters, our neighbors and friends, the people that surround our lives. If we are to live like Christ, if we are to be true Christians, than it is our community that must come first, it is the person who has the least amongst us that is important, and as long as they suffer, so do we all. When we look at Christ, he was constantly battling the authorities and was always with the most impoverished. I am not saying that I condone all their actions, but this is important to understand. Some revolutionaries see this as being their struggle, a struggle to work with and fight for the most repressed peoples as Father Camilo46 did.
==========
- Highlight on Page 205 | Added on Sunday, December 18, 2011, 08:56 PM

Others have shown that more human rights violations were committed per year during the Uribe administration than during the entire Chilean dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet (1974–90) (Colombia Reports, 2008b).
==========
- Highlight on Page 210 | Added on Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 06:08 PM

The massacre of the UP is “evidence of the Colombian elite’s intolerance and the impossibility of achieving change through parliament”
==========
- Highlight on Page 214 | Added on Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 06:26 PM

When talking with a member of the Secretariat about such penalties I was told that crime: is quite often an expression of individualism. Therefore, those who have violated the community must be shown that the community is a part of them. Applying their labor power for the betterment of all it is hoped that one will lose their need for self-promotion for the betterment of the many.

Edited by pogfan1996 ()

I thought the FARC had been crushed by govt troops and their leaders assassinated? Either way I figured they were a true revolutionary group that had to rely on narcodollars to operate, with all that entails.
[account deactivated]

cleanhands posted:
I thought the FARC had been crushed by govt troops and their leaders assassinated? Either way I figured they were a true revolutionary group that had to rely on narcodollars to operate, with all that entails.

they arent as strong as they used to be militarily, but theyre still the ruling authority in a considerable part of the country

most of their income doesnt come from narcotics, but they tolerate it. the free trade agreements decimated colombian agriculture, so most peasants that grow coca would starve without the income. FARC's crop substitution programs are the most effective in Colombia, they encourage peasants to make coca only a small percentage of the crops that someone grows.

i started Fanshen: A Documentary of Revolution in a Chinese Village, its pretty good

pogfan1996 posted:
i started Fanshen: A Documentary of Revolution in a Chinese Village, its pretty good

good to hear, i impulse bought that for $1 at a bankrupt borders. thank you finance capitalism for letting me learn more about communism.

finished Proncializing Europe. excellent book. will write a review
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:

pogfan1996 posted:

good to hear, i impulse bought that for $1 at a bankrupt borders. thank you finance capitalism for letting me learn more about communism.

the copy i bought was a little over $4 with shipping on amazon, i think its only $5 now. its definitely worth getting

im surprised that its not on library.nu, especially since its a notable book

pogfan1996 posted:

aerdil posted:

pogfan1996 posted:

the copy i bought was a little over $4 with shipping on amazon, i think its only $5 now. its definitely worth getting

im surprised that its not on library.nu, especially since its a notable book

its not on there but two of hinton's other books are. The Great Reversal: The Privatization of China, 1978-1989 which is like a sequel of sorts to Fanshen and Shanfen, focusing on the market reforms which rolled back some hard-fought socialist victories
and Through a Glass Darkly: U.S. Views of the Chinese Revolution which focuses on American distortion of socialist China, and goes into the contemporary Chinese elite's culpability in spreading these distortions. it reminds me of Gorbachev and the perestroika era, which saw the first publishing of Robert Conquest's ridiculous books in the Soviet Union.

on that subject, there's also an excellent book by Mobo Gao called The Battle for China’s Past: Mao & the Cultural Revolution that's about the gains won under Mao, and the lengths the Chinese elite go to counter the ideological threat that is represented by the popular, positive image of Mao and the Maoist era

babyfinland posted:

i think i have that sitting around in a pdf somewhere, i should read it. you may be interested in this if you have not seen it yet, the last day of a series of classes zizek did in 2010, on that day specifically focusing on that book http://backdoorbroadcasting.net/2009/06/slavoj-zizek-masterclass-day-5-notes-towards-a-definition-of-communist-culture/

you're all less than scum
a good website for reviews and such of critical left china studies is the china study group

i'm thinking about gettin' back into china stuff in a bit

sosie posted:
you're all less than scum

As someone with a healthy appreciation for the many roles scum plays in our solar system, I take that as a compliment.

mistersix posted:

babyfinland posted:

i think i have that sitting around in a pdf somewhere, i should read it. you may be interested in this if you have not seen it yet, the last day of a series of classes zizek did in 2010, on that day specifically focusing on that book http://backdoorbroadcasting.net/2009/06/slavoj-zizek-masterclass-day-5-notes-towards-a-definition-of-communist-culture/

I googled "zizek chakrabarty" and i guess in zizeks most recent book he offers a pretty good summary of a component of the argument: http://books.google.com/books?id=tjsiqfZo3zwC&pg=PA280&lpg=PA280&dq=zizek+chakrabarty&source=bl&ots=IuWB-kuECw&sig=vQ0Z5AriCV-mpeuZhdnpfXfmYiA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=55QKT6GvFuGpiALW9qyWCQ&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false