sosie posted:
i honestly dream about a real man, a fantastic and amazing individual who might someday emerge who would have the wherewithall to put an end to me

If you "dream about a real man, a fantastic and amazing individual", then throw out the modernist nonsense that you're reading and pick up a copy of Plutarch's Lives. You will never find come in contact with golden-souled men if all you do is flick through the writings of some 20th century academic.

sosie posted:
i honestly dream about a real man, a fantastic and amazing individual who might someday emerge who would have the wherewithall to put an end to me

ill do it

Lykourgos posted:

sosie posted:

If you "dream about a real man, a fantastic and amazing individual", then throw out the modernist nonsense that you're reading and pick up a copy of Plutarch's Lives. You will never find come in contact with golden-souled men if all you do is flick through the writings of some 20th century academic.

this

thats why u read 21st century academics, welcum to the present bitch
I wanna make an earnest indie documentary about Grumblefish and called it “Jonesing for Plutocrats: Autism and the retreat from modernity:
http://www.abebooks.com/books/RareBooks/karl-marx-kill-mockingbird-aspen-magazine/2011-most-expensive.shtml

It was a bumper year for rare bookselling. The combined total of AbeBooks’ top 10 most expensive sales during 2011 is $220,330. The November sale of Karl Marx’s Das Kapital for $51,739 was the year’s most significant transaction on AbeBooks and one that sparked many wry smiles.

1. Das Kapital, Kritik der politischen Oekonomie by Karl Marx - $51, 739
The first edition (in three volumes) with the first published in 1867 by Otto Meissner.

i sort of collect books and if i ever get access to bigtime money let's just say "collected works"

shakespeare., bithchth

deadken posted:
shakespeare., bithchth

same. lear.

if i have a daughter im naming her goneril
my child shall be named forever alone
Mega Fucker
i will literally call my son (i will only bear sons) Mulch Flunge
my parents were gonna call me Notley Newt after a couple of relatives. sometimes they still do.

gyrofry posted:
if i have a daughter im naming her goneril

my old jamaican gran's name is cordelia so i gotta go with that

Edited by futurewidow ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
this is what i think of when someone says the name cordelia

full disclosure though: i lived in kingston for like 8 years total so they play the tragically hip constantly
im reading demanding the impossible and it pretty well written. it's also pretty revealing of how eurocentric the 'accepted' intellectual tradition of anarchism is. its sort of weird reading about marginal european thinkers who were basically just bourgies having a wank about a utopia they thought of or whatever while there were genuinely acephalous groups with communal property etc all over the world that dont get a mention?? theres one chapter on daoism and then its pretty much just white ppl up till the 20th century, lol. didnt even mention nongjia

shennong posted:
im reading demanding the impossible and it pretty well written. it's also pretty revealing of how eurocentric the 'accepted' intellectual tradition of anarchism is. its sort of weird reading about marginal european thinkers who were basically just bourgies having a wank about a utopia they thought of or whatever while there were genuinely acephalous groups with communal property etc all over the world that dont get a mention?? theres one chapter on daoism and then its pretty much just white ppl up till the 20th century, lol. didnt even mention nongjia

haha anarchists love daoism

there is an anarchist anthology set by robert graham that includes a number of chinese anarchist tracts, like Ba Jin and so on.

i'm also always surprised about is how little western anarchists talk about asian anarchism. like the average anarchist activist knows about FAI in catalonia and the makhnovists in ukraine and so on, but almost nothing about the korean anarchist communist federation, which established an autonomous region in china's northeast for a few years that contained a few million people.

on the other hand i don't really like when people talk about the daoists or the taiping tianguo as being anarchists because it seems like stretching the word a bit.
maurice meisner claimed that maoism grew out of a chinese anarchist tradition, like smoe youth journal or somethign?
there is a funny movie about the founding of the communist party of china that came out like last year and it has a bunch of scenes of a young mao studying texts and debating about stuff with people like anarchism and then at the end it shows a bunch of people driving cars beside tiananmen square and the implication is like we've come so far as a country thanks to the sacrifices of the communist party, look, we've got fucking cars bro
welcom to modernity, heres ur car
they even have a scene with a young deng xiaoping reading about the founding of the party while in france or something and being inspired... just to throw him in.
one party rule owns, i love every movie where the party is championed as long as it doesn't directly insult the ancients

we got cars mate (if you wait years and spend a zillion kuai on a license plate and oh if we need the air clean then you can only drive on certain days and and and)
if you look at the statistics it is sorta funny because there was sort of a tentative period where only newly rich people, foreigners and officials drove cars and then bam it exploded by millions a year in like 2000 or so.
this thread noew has over 9000 views
although it's not reading, has anyone listened to the lectures put up by yale university on youtube? I'm listening to some professor called donald kagan who teaches some intro to ancient greece class and a fair bit of the stuff he's saying is making me disdain yale/academia even more than I already do. here's what i'm listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FrHGAd_yto&feature=relmfu

i'm going to relisten to it sometime just to really get a grip on why i dislike it, but do you lot reckon it's (a) bad and the prof is ignorant/careless, or (b) simplified to an amazing degree because it's an introduction, and i am wrong to expect much out of a uni class.
I went through the Yale video lectures on critical theory a few months ago - prof. Paul Fry. some good stuff some bad, but the prof had some super annoying mannerisms. I was mainly interested in the section on the Frankfurt school, but his treatment was pretty superficial - although granted it was a survey/intro

Edited by gyrofry ()

you dont go to an ivy league school as an undergraduate to get an education, u go to get networking + a high paying establishment job

gyrofry posted:
I went through the Yale video lectures on critical theory a few months ago - prof. Paul Fry. some good stuff some bad, but the prof had some super annoying mannerisms. I was mainly interested in the section on the Frankfurt school, but his treatment was pretty superficial - although granted it was a survey/intro

yes i think ive seen those too, and i agree with your assessment. i also viewed the one on the history of france 1871-present which was quite good all things considered, and the one on milton, personally mostly focusing on the subset covering paradise lost, paradise regained, and samson agonistes, which was excellent, for what it was

aerdil posted:
you dont go to an ivy league school as an undergraduate to get an education, u go to get networking + a high paying establishment job

Also to get the piece of paper required to get another piece of paper to be qualified to do a job that by all rights has little to do with any of those pieces of paper

gyrofry posted:

lol yeah i listened to the podcasts of these over the summer, on the tube going to a party, listening to whiny nasal voice american dude talking about theory words, jesus christ, what the fuck am i. the one on lacan was kinda useful though as a basic grounding

[account deactivated]

deadken posted:
lol yeah i listened to the podcasts of these over the summer, on the tube going to a party, listening to whiny nasal voice american dude talking about theory words, jesus christ, what the fuck am i. the one on lacan was kinda useful though as a basic grounding

i dont know if it comes through on the podcast versions, or really if its even just an artifact of my particular speakers trying to render that particular audio, but there was a constant digital background gurgle like the great atari war was going on just outside the yale campus

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
mr. christy you make good cookies*

* rapenovels