that post implies that forbidden planet looks bad which is a real fucked up thing to say in this cinephiles opinion
it has a flying saucer in it, which they put there in complete sincerity
Chateau Picard is a Bourgogne

Horselord posted:

oh no!! NOT epic!

the original '60s star trek series has the best aesthetic the franchise ever managed to produce. everything else with the name attached is to varying degrees terrified of the use of color on the screen.
Now cars sounds like my dad whenever we watch old TOS episodes together over the holidays. Look at all those colors! Until Star Trek came along, all we had were black and white Westerns and the fucking Smothers Brothers!

Horselord posted:

its hard to believe these guys would put a spaceship in their sci fi movie.. damn, its got a robot in it too

trakfactri posted:

Now cars sounds like my dad whenever we watch old TOS episodes together over the holidays. Look at all those colors! Until Star Trek came along, all we had were black and white Westerns and the fucking Smothers Brothers!

That's because I'm your real dad.

science fiction looked really terrible until kubrick discovered the groundbreaking idea of making a machine look like it's made out of metal and plastic in a factory instead of cardboard and blinking lights by ed wood

INT. PURPLE ROOM - WHENEVER

a woman with a giant beehive haircut and glitter dress is alone next to some big glowing crystal or whatever. there are some shelves in the background with a some stuff the propmaster found in a box on them

the door opens and CAPTAIN KIRK enters, casting shadows in three different directions at the same time. he is escaping from the place

CAPTAIN KIRK: Vanna, you must return my communicator so I can get back to my ship and put an end to this!

VANNA: Oh but I can't! Father would never allow it!

VANNA begins to cry. KIRK slaps her

KIRK: snap out of it!

the other door opens and the bedsheet wearing villain enters with two roman guards

BAD GUY: detain him!

SHATNER'S EXTREMELY OBVIOUS STUNT DOUBLE jumps at one of the guards with both of his hands put together for some reason, and both men roll around on the floor for a while while the amok time music plays again for the 13th time this season

the other guard fires a phaser and accidentally hits VANNA, who vanishes in a bad special effect

BAD GUY: Vanna! No!

dramatic musical sting #2 plays, fade to commercials for winston cigarettes and amphetamine weight loss powders

anyway Star Trek (TV show) is fine.

cars posted:

That's because I'm your real dad.

Teach me how to post cars (dad)

I like the motion picture. It's the only science fiction film in the franchise and it had a real director
The complication here is that you aren't real, and only I am real.
just finished the TNG series. i liked it a lot better than TOS since it had far fewer nonsensical episodes of "hey let's fly into this black hole thing that's destroying everything and see what happens". going to hold off on reading this thread until i watch DS9 which should be a real treat since i haven't really seen any of it before
i think my favorite part of TNG was when everyone got sick of Data so they tried to shove him into the recycling replicator but he wouldn’t fit so they were forced to awkwardly put up with him for the rest of the series. i do think there were too many episodes focused on trying to “accidentally” leave data behind on a planet but he was always able to find his way back on board, which of course lead to loud sighs from the entire crew