that post implies that forbidden planet looks bad which is a real fucked up thing to say in this cinephiles opinion
it has a flying saucer in it, which they put there in complete sincerity
Chateau Picard is a Bourgogne

Horselord posted:

oh no!! NOT epic!

the original '60s star trek series has the best aesthetic the franchise ever managed to produce. everything else with the name attached is to varying degrees terrified of the use of color on the screen.
Now cars sounds like my dad whenever we watch old TOS episodes together over the holidays. Look at all those colors! Until Star Trek came along, all we had were black and white Westerns and the fucking Smothers Brothers!

Horselord posted:

its hard to believe these guys would put a spaceship in their sci fi movie.. damn, its got a robot in it too

trakfactri posted:

Now cars sounds like my dad whenever we watch old TOS episodes together over the holidays. Look at all those colors! Until Star Trek came along, all we had were black and white Westerns and the fucking Smothers Brothers!

That's because I'm your real dad.

science fiction looked really terrible until kubrick discovered the groundbreaking idea of making a machine look like it's made out of metal and plastic in a factory instead of cardboard and blinking lights by ed wood

INT. PURPLE ROOM - WHENEVER

a woman with a giant beehive haircut and glitter dress is alone next to some big glowing crystal or whatever. there are some shelves in the background with a some stuff the propmaster found in a box on them

the door opens and CAPTAIN KIRK enters, casting shadows in three different directions at the same time. he is escaping from the place

CAPTAIN KIRK: Vanna, you must return my communicator so I can get back to my ship and put an end to this!

VANNA: Oh but I can't! Father would never allow it!

VANNA begins to cry. KIRK slaps her

KIRK: snap out of it!

the other door opens and the bedsheet wearing villain enters with two roman guards

BAD GUY: detain him!

SHATNER'S EXTREMELY OBVIOUS STUNT DOUBLE jumps at one of the guards with both of his hands put together for some reason, and both men roll around on the floor for a while while the amok time music plays again for the 13th time this season

the other guard fires a phaser and accidentally hits VANNA, who vanishes in a bad special effect

BAD GUY: Vanna! No!

dramatic musical sting #2 plays, fade to commercials for winston cigarettes and amphetamine weight loss powders

anyway Star Trek (TV show) is fine.

cars posted:

That's because I'm your real dad.

Teach me how to post cars (dad)

I like the motion picture. It's the only science fiction film in the franchise and it had a real director
The complication here is that you aren't real, and only I am real.
just finished the TNG series. i liked it a lot better than TOS since it had far fewer nonsensical episodes of "hey let's fly into this black hole thing that's destroying everything and see what happens". going to hold off on reading this thread until i watch DS9 which should be a real treat since i haven't really seen any of it before
i think my favorite part of TNG was when everyone got sick of Data so they tried to shove him into the recycling replicator but he wouldn’t fit so they were forced to awkwardly put up with him for the rest of the series. i do think there were too many episodes focused on trying to “accidentally” leave data behind on a planet but he was always able to find his way back on board, which of course lead to loud sighs from the entire crew
bad news everyone, data's back

Horselord posted:

bad news everyone, data's back

data is literally back, in the new picard thing

the 1960s Star trek is very good... lots of haters in this thread but don’t pay attention.
the stories it tells are good but its difficult to be invested in it when the science machine is just a red cardboard box with wine gums for buttons, like a child made it. it helps suspension of disbelief if what we're supposed to accept is a working manufactured object can convincingly look like one. of all 60s tv trek definitely aged the worst when it came to this. but i don't think it was a problem at the time, i have a tv from the 60s and the picture quality is bad enough to hide even the least shatner looking stunt double

i hate discovery because its design choices are that you can't have a simple wall panel if you can have fifty pieces of brushed cast iron bolted together in a darkly lit room instead. everything is pitch black except for the tron lines around the edges of people's entirely blue computer monitors. no human being would willingly create or live in an environment like that either. its much worse than TOS for believably

all i want is the look of tng. its bright enough to see and theres no stupid cast iron greebles everywhere. and then maybe some cool morality tales not season long saga's about spock's sister's mum's spacesuit time machine or whatever
anyway heres what we know about slart trec pikard:

- picard's old and sad and has a dog because patrick stewart likes dogs. fans of picard's dune buggy he has because patrick stewart likes dune buggys will know this is a sign of quality
- seven of nine is here and says swears because she's cool now
- a brent spiner faced novelty condom has been inflated to play data again for the first time in 15 years
- there's a new threat, even bigger than a borg cube: a really big borg cube thats blue
- the girl from 5th element is back in goth form
- ship does a barrel roll through a debris field, probably

Horselord posted:

anyway heres what we know about slart trec pikard:

- picard's old and sad and has a dog because patrick stewart likes dogs. fans of picard's dune buggy he has because patrick stewart likes dune buggys will know this is a sign of quality
- seven of nine is here and says swears because she's cool now
- a brent spiner faced novelty condom has been inflated to play data again for the first time in 15 years
- there's a new threat, even bigger than a borg cube: a really big borg cube thats blue
- the girl from 5th element is back in goth form
- ship does a barrel roll through a debris field, probably

oh

Horselord posted:

the stories it tells are good but its difficult to be invested in it when the science machine is just a red cardboard box with wine gums for buttons, like a child made it. it helps suspension of disbelief if what we're supposed to accept is a working manufactured object can convincingly look like one. of all 60s tv trek definitely aged the worst when it came to this. but i don't think it was a problem at the time, i have a tv from the 60s and the picture quality is bad enough to hide even the least shatner looking stunt double

i hate discovery because its design choices are that you can't have a simple wall panel if you can have fifty pieces of brushed cast iron bolted together in a darkly lit room instead. everything is pitch black except for the tron lines around the edges of people's entirely blue computer monitors. no human being would willingly create or live in an environment like that either. its much worse than TOS for believably

all i want is the look of tng. its bright enough to see and theres no stupid cast iron greebles everywhere. and then maybe some cool morality tales not season long saga's about spock's sister's mum's spacesuit time machine or whatever

Nah

i dont really get the repeated complaints from "Horselord" about old sci fi being corny because the technology was just painted boxes or whatever.. like to me that's part of what makes old sci fi stuff cool
it's supposed to be a thought provoking genre. if the draw for you is camp maybe try batman
The only ster terk i ever saw was the one where they go back in time to save whales or something. I give it 2 bags of popcorn and a small soda.
Thats a good Star Trek.
star DREK will never be good again
bring back king of the hill but in star trek, it can be called king of the stars.

damoj posted:

star DREK will never be good again

make star trek great again

Star trek is still there, you can go on your computer and watch every star trek or even have it on your phone. Beam me up Scott!
I didn't watch all of the 2nd season of Discovery because the 1960s Star Trek being good is not an excuse for not having your own shit. I might watch some of the Picard show even though Jeri Ryan (good actor) is probably only in one episode, because I want to find out about the Guantanamo cube for ex-robots and if they make the Romulans cool again like they were on the old show. Everyone should stand up on Romulan ships and they should be horny. Thats my summer school report on star trek and live long and presper.
How weird is it that the borg cube in the Picard trailer is a prison camp where they keep the people who used to be Borgs, but all these people are watching it and saying, Ooooh its the super borg cube I hate it it makes me so mad they are just making a super killer borg cube!! There are big fuck-all holes punched in the cube and they are glowing the good-guy color instead of green which is the Borg color, and the new Romulan ships they show are all around it, and they show the inside of the cube in the trailer and it's Guantanamo and the chosen one girl is in a prison uniform, I mean, come on... please.
all this talk of borg... i thought star trek was a show about space ships in the future, not tennis in the 1970s!!!
I bet someone wrote a novel or something where the borg call themselves that because humans who know the word cyborg went back in time and started them
[account deactivated]