babyhueypnewton posted:

you've been arguing with republicans too long and forgotten that Marxists can criticize identity politics without secretly being white male oppressors.

c_man posted:

your chauvinism

come on guys don't be rude, this would be a good discussion to read if you can stop pretending to underestimate each other.

c_man posted:

i dont think the "game" aspects have very much longevity for the pretty straightforward reasons that people have brought up already, but i think it prompted the development of certain kinds of infrastructures (often involving mobile electronics and either microtransactions or brief queries for information) that we will probably see more of going forward.

i'm being forced to work in UX and i wondered what the industry term is for how error messages now try to sound cutesy, like a college roommate you don't like telling you they broke a piece of furniture. my current tentative label for it is "Very carefully"

im pretty sure cman and bhpn arent saying anything mutually exclusive BUT theyre both assuming the other is operating from underlying and unvoiced conceptions that are. its weird.
[account deactivated]
i toil in the mines of health insurance and responsibility to other people in my life. it's a hard life but there is always a new burger somewhere
the details are that my employer makes money, like a lot of organizations nowadays, by poorly defining my job role
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

UX doesn't sound so bad

as stuff i do goes it's pretty easy and fun. i appreciate how my bosses will come up with a dumb idea and tell me to do it and 99% of the time i can go to the people who handle the consumer research and they'll come back immediately and tell my bosses to fuck off and the boss is like okay i accept the Crowd as my father and priest king.

cars posted:

roseweird posted:

UX doesn't sound so bad

as stuff i do goes it's pretty easy and fun. i appreciate how my bosses will come up with a dumb idea and tell me to do it and 99% of the time i can go to the people who handle the consumer research and they'll come back immediately and tell my bosses to fuck off and the boss is like okay i accept the Crowd as my father and priest king.

UX features should probably just be decided by a UX-knowledgable person but who am i to question capitalism, the most efficient system

it's a weird setup yeah. because the UX department are presented as servitors of the other departments but if they acted that way every project that came across their desks would turn out awful and they'd be blamed for it, so they master this Tao Te Ching power bottom thing and most of what ends up in the final product is their idea. don't know how that is elsewhere but i get the impression that outside of Google and its imitators it's pretty common.

cars posted:

i'm being forced to work in UX

The yucks youre working on here sound pretty forced too

Thank you, I'm putting a lot of effort into online lately. Blessed be.
(i was joking/wanted to make a pun; you are v funny)
i regret that i have but one login to be owned for my forum

lmao
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I'm always happy when surrounded by smart people, who also happens to be rich and powerful.
[account deactivated]
in case you missed it at the end of the video the robot is granted saudi citizenship.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I'm With Her
installing a chatbot onto a manequin and then getting it to preform fake emotions on its fake face at the saudi arabia public investment forum to an audience of billionaries is a powerful troll

tears posted:

installing a chatbot onto a manequin and then getting it to preform fake emotions on its fake face at the saudi arabia public investment forum to an audience of billionaries is a powerful troll

they've successfully weaponized our news media to bombard us with headlines so stupid they make me want to kill myself. a masterstroke of modern warfare.

What ai was running on that bot?

I was chatting with a dude who tours around tech conferences with a similar robot, which he secretly speaks into a microphone when they do q&a sessions with it.

AI ain't advanced enough to talk like that, is it??
[account deactivated]

rolaids posted:

are they still doing promotion or is this the shit that got canceled

They cancelled it, presumably because it's easier to just run Iron Man comics for the same basic propaganda effect
the other side to moral panic about children is their spiritualization.

“We couldn’t find the school that we felt would nurture growth, her spirit as well as her mind,” Neumann says. “These children come into the world, they are very evolved, they are very special. They’re spiritual. They’re all natural entrepreneurs, natural humanitarians, and then it seems like we squash it all out of them in the education system. Then we ask them to be disruptive and find it again after college.”
Although the exact nature of the relationship between her education startup and the communal real-estate venture WeWork – which is valued at $20 billion – is not totally resolved, the two enterprises at minimum share a mission. Much as WeWork aspires to help its members do what they love (as one of its slogans asserts), WeGrow wants children to “understand their superpowers,” she says.

these children are spiritual, which actually means that they'll be great entrepreneurs(???)
probably doxxxing myself here but my work has some techno-fetishist solutions to entrenched social problems

https://globalnews.ca/news/3885469/distracted-driving-pilots-icbc/

The B.C. government, along with ICBC and other officials will be launching two pilot programs to test technology that may help put the brakes on distracted driving.

The first will test out a Bluetooth-enabled scope that will be able to capture images of people on their phones and then instantly share them with other officers in the area.

The officers will then have the ability to show the image to the distracted driver when they are pulled over.

The second program pairs phone apps with telematic technology, meaning a small device is fitted in the driver’s vehicle that communicates with an app downloaded on the driver’s phone.

The app works to block the use of a handheld device when the technology detects the vehicle is being driven.

needless to say, i have some problems

gay_swimmer posted:

probably doxxxing myself here but my work has some techno-fetishist solutions to entrenched social problems

https://globalnews.ca/news/3885469/distracted-driving-pilots-icbc/

The B.C. government, along with ICBC and other officials will be launching two pilot programs to test technology that may help put the brakes on distracted driving.

The first will test out a Bluetooth-enabled scope that will be able to capture images of people on their phones and then instantly share them with other officers in the area.

The officers will then have the ability to show the image to the distracted driver when they are pulled over.

The second program pairs phone apps with telematic technology, meaning a small device is fitted in the driver’s vehicle that communicates with an app downloaded on the driver’s phone.

The app works to block the use of a handheld device when the technology detects the vehicle is being driven.

needless to say, i have some problems

release the code, problem solved

http://searchhrsoftware.techtarget.com/feature/Emotion-analytics-may-expose-your-true-feelings-to-HR

One person interested in emotion analytics technology is Luke Fryer, CEO of New York-based Harri, a services firm that provides what it terms a "workforce operating system." This system provides everything needed to manage a workforce, including recruiting, learning management, scheduling, time and attendance, and performance analysis.

Harri uses face recognition in an iPad-based time clock, but the interface is also a two-way communication tool for pass-along announcements and getting worker feedback. For a restaurant worker, for instance, it may show today's specials by picture or video and "allow an employee to instantly provide feedback" about the special, he said.

Fryer said Harri's facial recognition systems could be adapted to also detect mood at the point of clock-out.

Fryer hasn't deployed this capability and is open about his reservations.

"There's something very Big Brother about it," Fryer said. Nonetheless, the technology may be useful, he argued. He noted that there is a high degree of inaccuracy on manually collected feedback when someone, for instance, is asked to rate something on a scale of one to five. But he believes that emotion analytics software may more accurately tell how employees really feel.

If an employer learns that 60% of the employees had an "anxious expression" when asked something, "that might tell us something about the underlying feedback we're getting," Fryer said.

I wonder what emotion the computer will register immediately before a worker throws himself across the table and starts strangling the HR guy