roseweird posted:

mom & pop stores are cool in that people take on lots of personal debt to run them and are responsible for lots of rent and for unsold merchandise and have to be there basically all day and work really hard

bu tmom & pop are so cute why do you want to crush them with robots

call me crazy but i'm not sure the world gets better if we crush all tiny local businesses with robot alternatives that siphon money to silicon valley.

[account deactivated]
i dont understand how this could ever be successful - it seems like an even worse buisiness model than uber-deliveroo-blue apron-etc etc because on top of the relentless competitive situation these "startups" find themseves in because they have no way to create ip or technological monopoly, this one would also require the logistical structure of nightmares to keep these cupboards filled with things - vending machines but a lot more complicated to run doesn't seem like a good way to make money, and for that reason i shall not be investing
Agreed.
its fun to read about failed "uber but for __" ideas sometimes...

https://qz.com/769935/the-ultimate-symbol-of-the-uber-for-x-bubble-is-out-of-business/

when this happened the "contractors" (read: employees) got shafted tho

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/07/uber_of_laundry_washio/

Despite having received $16m in funding and at one point being valued at $60m, the so-called "Uber of laundry" is unable to pay the $450,000 it agreed to after being sued by the people who actually did the company's work.

and yes, artisnal vending machines are never gonna make a dent in the market without massive vc subsidies as usual imo. lets run this shit into the ground.

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

https://qz.com/769935/the-ultimate-symbol-of-the-uber-for-x-bubble-is-out-of-business/

Washio launched in 2013 with a few million dollars in angel funding and the following June landed $10.5 million in a Series A investment. Those years were peak Uber-for-X, as entrepreneurs raced to replicate the formula that was working so well for the ride-hailing industry: using a smartphone app to connect customers with legions of independently contracted task-doers. Nowhere was this more apparent than in the frothy laundry-tech scene. By mid-2014, Washio’s competitors included but were not limited to: FlyCleaners, Laundry Locker, Rinse, Sudzee, Sfwash, and Bizzie Box.

+

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/07/uber_of_laundry_washio/

Wash.io's founders said in a post on its website announcing its failure. "We are proud of what we accomplished along the way: over one million items of clothing dry cleaned, and over 21,000 tons of laundry washed and folded!"

In reality of course, Wash.io did absolutely no washing or folding of laundry; it simply delivered the clothes to existing laundries. It didn't even pick up and return the clothes: for that task it paid "ninjas" to do the job. But it failed to pay them minimum wage or overtime, and did not provide meal and rest breaks as required by California law.

In much the same way that Uber tried to bypass labor laws, Wash.io claimed the ninjas were "independent contractors" in order to keep costs down to a minimum. That "disruptive" approach was illegal, sparking the lawsuit back in June 2015. Over 12 months, the former ninjas slowly reached a settlement but it was too late: the fundamentally flawed business burnt through its cash stockpile trying to make the impossible possible.

this is what it all boils down to. on the surface its seems like you've creating a streamlined app thing, but actually you're creating a highly labour intensive business (very often more labour intesive than the one you're trying to disrupt) in a highly competetive environment where the laws of capitalism are in full effect. There are no super-profits to be derived, its just the surplus value you can wring (laundry joke) from your staff and to do that you usually have to circumvent labour laws. Event that doenst usually work and you just end up losing $20 of investor cash on every toilet roll sold from your cupboard.

That's why I thought the "Bodega" thing was funny. Didn't realise I needed to explain the joke immediately after a couple of pages of everyone ripping on the 400 dollar juice squeezer
sorry if i just explained the obvious, it was the shock of seeing myname listed under "orgy fanciers"
is that a new crew name? im in
[account deactivated]
the American Small Business is garbage but nerds getting startup money to invent the vending machine again in 2017 is funny
ive requessted us a bodega so we can give it a go, they say they'll get back to me soon

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i'd add you petrol but i can't figure out new gimp because it sucks

how does it feel, to treat me like you do?

[account deactivated]
as it stands the vending machine people dont have a business model, but if they add in some sort of biometric-based account verification and let you go into debt to buy overpriced soylent bars then they can sell the debt and then have a real product to bring to market.
Download the Loosey app to find out where individual cigarettes are being sold near you.
[account deactivated]
i love that opener
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
there's a dog house startup in NYC around recently. Supposedly it's supposed to be temperature controlled, etc but the one time I saw one it was literally plugged into an outlet on a brick wall. lollin thinking about rich ppl cooking their dogs to death inside of shitty future cubes because some teen unplugged it.

[account deactivated]
The founders of washio should be in prison for criminal conspiracy and all their investors should be forced to reimburse the exploited employees or join them in prison. Put me in charge of the courts
I second the motion to put Meursault the new judge judy
http://wagesforfacebook.com/ - art project using federici's program

THEY SAY IT’S FRIENDSHIP. WE SAY IT’S UNWAGED WORK. WITH EVERY LIKE, CHAT, TAG OR POKE OUR SUBJECTIVITY TURNS THEM A PROFIT. THEY CALL IT SHARING. WE CALL IT STEALING. WE’VE BEEN BOUND BY THEIR TERMS OF SERVICE FAR TOO LONG—IT’S TIME FOR OUR TERMS.
TO DEMAND WAGES FOR FACEBOOK IS TO MAKE IT VISIBLE THAT OUR OPINIONS AND EMOTIONS HAVE ALL BEEN DISTORTED FOR A SPECIFIC FUNCTION ONLINE, AND THEN HAVE BEEN THROWN BACK AT US AS A MODEL TO WHICH WE SHOULD ALL CONFORM IF WE WANT TO BE ACCEPTED IN THIS SOCIETY. OUR FINGERTIPS HAVE BECOME DISTORTED FROM SO MUCH LIKING, OUR FEELINGS HAVE GOTTEN LOST FROM SO MANY FRIENDSHIPS.
CAPITAL HAD TO CONVINCE US THAT IT IS A NATURAL, UNAVOIDABLE AND EVEN FULFILLING ACTIVITY TO MAKE US ACCEPT UNWAGED WORK. IN ITS TURN, THE UNWAGED CONDITION OF FACEBOOK HAS BEEN A POWERFUL WEAPON IN REINFORCING THE COMMON ASSUMPTION THAT FACEBOOK IS NOT WORK, THUS PREVENTING US FROM STRUGGLING AGAINST IT. WE ARE SEEN AS USERS OR POTENTIAL FRIENDS, NOT WORKERS IN STRUGGLE. WE MUST ADMIT THAT CAPITAL HAS BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL IN HIDING OUR WORK.
BY DENYING OUR FACEBOOK TIME A WAGE WHILE PROFITING DIRECTLY FROM THE DATA IT GENERATES AND TRANSFORMING IT INTO AN ACT OF FRIENDSHIP, CAPITAL HAS KILLED MANY BIRDS WITH ONE STONE. FIRST OF ALL, IT HAS GOT A HELL OF A LOT OF WORK ALMOST FOR FREE, AND IT HAS MADE SURE THAT WE, FAR FROM STRUGGLING AGAINST IT, WOULD SEEK THAT WORK AS THE BEST THING ONLINE.
THE DIFFICULTIES AND AMBIGUITIES IN DISCUSSING WAGES FOR FACEBOOK STEM FROM THE REDUCTION OF WAGES FOR FACEBOOK TO A THING, A LUMP OF MONEY, INSTEAD OF VIEWING IT AS A POLITICAL PERSPECTIVE. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE TWO STANDPOINTS IS ENORMOUS. TO VIEW WAGES FOR FACEBOOK AS A THING RATHER THAN A PERSPECTIVE IS TO DETACH THE END RESULT OF OUR STRUGGLE FROM THE STRUGGLE ITSELF AND TO MISS ITS SIGNIFICANCE IN DEMYSTIFYING AND SUBVERTING THE ROLE TO WHICH WE HAVE BEEN CONFINED IN CAPITALIST SOCIETY.
IF WE TAKE WAGES FOR FACEBOOK AS A POLITICAL PERSPECTIVE, WE CAN SEE THAT STRUGGLING FOR IT IS GOING TO PRODUCE A REVOLUTION IN OUR LIVES AND IN OUR SOCIAL POWER. NOT ONLY IS WAGES FOR FACEBOOK A REVOLUTIONARY PERSPECTIVE, BUT IT IS A REVOLUTIONARY PERSPECTIVE FROM A CONTEMPORARY VIEWPOINT THAT POINTS TOWARDS CLASS SOLIDARITY.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO RECOGNIZE THAT WHEN WE SPEAK OF FACEBOOK WE ARE NOT SPEAKING OF A JOB AS OTHER JOBS, BUT WE ARE SPEAKING OF THE MOST PERVASIVE MANIPULATION, THE MOST SUBTLE AND MYSTIFIED VIOLENCE THAT CAPITALISM HAS RECENTLY PERPETRATED AGAINST US. TRUE, UNDER CAPITALISM EVERY WORKER IS MANIPULATED AND EXPLOITED AND HIS/HER RELATION TO CAPITAL IS TOTALLY MYSTIFIED.
THE WAGE GIVES THE IMPRESSION OF A FAIR DEAL: YOU WORK AND YOU GET PAID, HENCE YOU AND YOUR BOSS ARE EQUAL; WHILE IN REALITY THE WAGE, RATHER THAN PAYING FOR THE WORK YOU DO, HIDES ALL THE UNPAID WORK THAT GOES INTO PROFIT. BUT THE WAGE AT LEAST RECOGNIZES THAT YOU ARE A WORKER, AND YOU CAN BARGAIN AND STRUGGLE AROUND AND AGAINST THE TERMS AND THE QUANTITY OF THAT WAGE, THE TERMS AND THE QUANTITY OF THAT WORK.
TO HAVE A WAGE MEANS TO BE PART OF A SOCIAL CONTRACT, AND THERE IS NO DOUBT CONCERNING ITS MEANING: YOU WORK, NOT BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT, OR BECAUSE IT COMES NATURALLY TO YOU, BUT BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY CONDITION UNDER WHICH YOU ARE ALLOWED TO LIVE. BUT EXPLOITED AS YOU MIGHT BE, YOU ARE NOT THAT WORK.
TO ASK FOR WAGES FOR FACEBOOK WILL BY ITSELF UNDERMINE THE EXPECTATIONS SOCIETY HAS OF US, SINCE THESE EXPECTATIONS—THE ESSENCE OF OUR SOCIALIZATION—ARE ALL FUNCTIONAL TO OUR WAGELESS CONDITION ONLINE. IN THIS SENSE, IT IS MORE APT TO COMPARE THE STRUGGLE OF WOMEN FOR WAGES THAN THE STRUGGLE OF MALE WORKERS IN THE FACTORY FOR MORE WAGES. WHEN WE STRUGGLE FOR WAGES WE STRUGGLE UNAMBIGUOUSLY AND DIRECTLY AGAINST OUR SOCIAL EXPLOITATION. WE STRUGGLE TO BREAK CAPITAL’S PLAN TO MONETIZE OUR FRIENDSHIP, FEELINGS AND FREE TIME, THROUGH WHICH IT HAS BEEN ABLE TO MAINTAIN ITS POWER.
WAGES FOR FACEBOOK, THEN, IS A REVOLUTIONARY DEMAND NOT BECAUSE BY ITSELF IT DESTROYS CAPITAL, BUT BECAUSE IT ATTACKS CAPITAL AND FORCES IT TO RESTRUCTURE SOCIAL RELATIONS IN TERMS MORE FAVORABLE TO US AND CONSEQUENTLY MORE FAVORABLE TO WORKING CLASS SOLIDARITY. IN FACT, TO DEMAND WAGES FOR FACEBOOK DOES NOT MEAN TO SAY THAT IF WE ARE PAID WE WILL CONTINUE TO DO IT. IT MEANS PRECISELY THE OPPOSITE.
TO SAY THAT WE WANT MONEY FOR FACEBOOK IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS REFUSING TO DO IT, BECAUSE THE DEMAND FOR A WAGE MAKES OUR WORK VISIBLE, WHICH IS THE MOST INDISPENSABLE CONDITION TO BEGIN TO STRUGGLE AGAINST IT. AGAINST ANY ACCUSATION OF ‘ECONOMISM’ WE SHOULD REMEMBER THAT MONEY IS CAPITAL, I.E. IT IS THE POWER TO COMMAND LABOUR.
THEREFORE TO REAPPROPRIATE THAT MONEY WHICH IS THE FRUIT OF OUR LABOUR—AND OF ALL OUR FRIENDS’ LABOUR— MEANS AT THE SAME TIME TO UNDERMINE CAPITAL’S POWER TO COMMAND FORCED LABOUR FROM US.
AND FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF WORK WE CAN ASK NOT ONE WAGE BUT MANY WAGES, BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN FORCED INTO MANY JOBS AT ONCE—WE ALSO WORK FOR GOOGLE, TWITTER, MICROSOFT, YOUTUBE AND COUNTLESS OTHERS. FROM NOW ON WE WANT MONEY FOR EACH MOMENT OF IT, SO THAT WE CAN REFUSE SOME OF IT AND EVENTUALLY ALL OF IT.
WAGES FOR FACEBOOK IS ONLY THE BEGINNING, BUT ITS MESSAGE IS CLEAR: FROM NOW ON THEY HAVE TO PAY US BECAUSE AS USERS WE DO NOT GUARANTEE ANYTHING ANY LONGER. WE WANT TO CALL WORK WHAT IS WORK SO THAT EVENTUALLY WE MIGHT REDISCOVER WHAT FRIENDSHIP IS.

or you could just delete your facebook account
idea: the struggling african children who you can support for just $1/day all get patreons
so i was checking out some vlogger gossip at prettyuglylittleliar.net (which has 11k forum members btw) and ended up on the youtube channel for synthea amatus, the italian sex doll company. each doll is 4000$.
isn't a bot sleeping creepy? or is it creepier to watch a bot sleep?
homer back into bush dot gif
the common hog can dial a phone with its snout... ripe for disruption imo
been reading about elon musk and suddenly my eyes grow wider than the sun as i physically recoil from my screen

If there was one sign that the company was flying too close to the sun, it was, many felt, an extravagant sales-team huddle in Las Vegas around March 2015. In a scene straight out of HBO’s Silicon Valley, Barnard, then SolarCity’s chief revenue officer, burst onto the stage in front of Lyndon, Peter, and 1,300 employees (Musk would arrive later) at Hakkasan nightclub, rapping over Nicki Minaj and Drake’s hit “Truffle Butter” while surrounded by provocatively dressed dancers. At another point, he appeared dressed as Helios, the Greek sun god, wearing a green suit of armor designed by the same people who created the Iron Man costume for that movie. “The party was cool,” recalls hip-hop artist Chingy

[account deactivated]
p. sure elon musk got to where he is today on his name alone
[account deactivated]
*crashes into forums at 10000 mph in solid gold robot suit as After Forever plays* Whats going on itt
[account deactivated]