tears posted:

there is a video and it is everything i hoped and more

*boxing anouncer voice* may i present the saaaaaaaviors of the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuman race

oh no

Zuck en route while remaking David Lynch's 'The Straight Story' in a Social Realist style

another piece on Faceberg. To its credit, it avoids the 'Zuck for Prez' narrative and takes his autistic earnestness to meet americans seriously. Zuck is like a pioneer tech bro, discovering that the continent is inhabited by others. he is learning what is community and trying to be ethical,

he published a long essay called “Building Global Community” on his Facebook page. Clocking in at nearly 6,000 words, the post was the fullest expression of Zuckerberg’s understanding of the current political situation and the clearest articulation of what he imagined Facebook’s purpose should now be.
Like The Communist Manifesto, “Building Global Community” opens by offering a theory of history, in this case “the story of how we’ve learned to come together in ever greater numbers — from tribes to cities to nations.” This ever-expanding scale of human interaction continues to evolve, and “today,” Zuckerberg tells us, “we are close to taking our next step”... Zuckerberg hesitates when he tries to lay out a foundational value system for the community he’s hoping to build. “The guiding principles,” he writes, “are that the Community Standards should reflect the cultural norms of our community, that each person should see as little objectionable content as possible, and each person should be able to share what they want while being told they cannot share something as little as possible.” That is: The guiding principles should be whatever encourages people to post more. Facebook’s actual value system seems less positive than recursive. Facebook is good because it creates community; community is good because it enables Facebook. The values of Facebook are Facebook.

This ethic on this scale is unbeatable

At 2 billion members, “monthly active Facebook users” is the single largest non-biologically sorted group of people on the planet after “Christians” — and, growing consistently at around 17 percent year after year, it could surpass that group before the end of 2017 and encompass one-third of the world’s population by this time next year.

game over man, game over. the pagans/wizards/terrorists win

Edited by slipdisco ()

1 billion of those are techno-russians under one bot net
one botnet under god
it's a little fascinating to me that a liberal discourse obsessed with gotcha games about social fastidiousness can look at a guy whose stated intention in creating Facebook was to Hot-or-Not his classmates against farm animals in woman-hating date envy and the best cracks it can come up with are that he's a naive living computer

slipdisco posted:

Facebook’s actual value system seems less positive than recursive.

why would anyone, in AD 2017, pay this writer to write anything

how the damn hell does anyone listen to any of these tech industry lunatics for like two minutes without telling them to shut up
Very carefully
[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

they should replace the retroreflectors on the moon with aldrin in his shiny suit. he is dressed like he is going to raise an army of elvis impersonators there anyway. he is much too loud just to be a MTV VMA award presenter. could the outfit be worse?

yes, yes, it is.

slipdisco posted:

Zuckerburg the seasoned farm hand hears his laptop fan kick in, then gently strokes the vents to dissipate the heat. "Rain's comin"

[account deactivated]
this scam owns

It's interesting that Privacy Policies die with these 'businesses'. All the data then goes to whatever corp slurps it up, and even better, are not bound by it's terms anymore. For instance, what if Equifax was an inside job? How else could you sell illegal data and not get in trouble? Probably overstepping there. Anyway, it's obvious these bullshit companies are not built to last, there are plenty of investors out there with enough capital to bank roll anything just to see what picks up and what doesn't, putting this kind of development with all the rest of the positive feedback loops involved in Cybernetic Governance. Once something catches on, in can all eventually be streamlined, and monopolized or disappear or merge into something else. To me the multiplicities of convenience services itself is not the issue, more interesting is that they are mainly targeted to the very people making inflated salaries at these very same companies. A bizarre utopia. A side-effect (or perhaps the intended effect when you look at how long Stanford and MIT have been studying game theory) is the gamification of employment (which is a topic that interests me). Elon's Space Ark needs a working class that can make the lattes from electric bicycle steamers and defrag their virtual living rooms and dance in hoops for them (and likely much worse as that Bacchian video might hint). And when they do bust, someone is gonna make a hell of a lot of money off it, somehow, that's for sure, while everyone dependent on this will be totally fucked and have spent the last 10 years of their life responding solely to a screen (and it's demands) to generate income for themselves. Not to mention, the data again. Imagine a "credit report" type score of all the data gleaned from you, from your job, from your home, from your fit bit. Once someone decides what they deem valuable in this data set and has the access to capital to implement any whimsical, delusional idea... "Sorry Chad, you can't work (live/be insured/etc) here, your 'digital signature/identity' is not up to our standards, your health is no good, your habits are bad, you're not a real go getter in your VR games..." I mean, this stuff is already happening, it's widely known, even NPR is talking about it... (I wonder why...)

Elon Musk and his milieu might talk the way they do for two reasons. 1) They actually have gone to enough shammanic-raves and done enough DMT to actually believe in something as benign, fallacious, and mystifying as a "singularity" in the sense it has been popularized. Or 2), providing a flimsy mythology made up of weak, abstract scientific buzz words to the millions of stoners watching science docs on Netflix, and other generally mindless minions wondering what the future is going to be like in 20X6--providing them something in a way of a narrative of progress geared towards atheist woke consumers of technology. Something so they won't panic that species are going extinct more rapidly than the ice age, and that late capitalism has everyone in a cybernetic playpen... Science needs a religion too.

uh
exit the dimwit...

levoydpage posted:

It's interesting that Privacy Policies die with these 'businesses'. All the data then goes to whatever corp slurps it up, and even better, are not bound by it's terms anymore. For instance, what if Equifax was an inside job? How else could you sell illegal data and not get in trouble? Probably overstepping there. Anyway, it's obvious these bullshit companies are not built to last, there are plenty of investors out there with enough capital to bank roll anything just to see what picks up and what doesn't, putting this kind of development with all the rest of the positive feedback loops involved in Cybernetic Governance. Once something catches on, in can all eventually be streamlined, and monopolized or disappear or merge into something else. To me the multiplicities of convenience services itself is not the issue, more interesting is that they are mainly targeted to the very people making inflated salaries at these very same companies. A bizarre utopia. A side-effect (or perhaps the intended effect when you look at how long Stanford and MIT have been studying game theory) is the gamification of employment (which is a topic that interests me). Elon's Space Ark needs a working class that can make the lattes from electric bicycle steamers and defrag their virtual living rooms and dance in hoops for them (and likely much worse as that Bacchian video might hint). And when they do bust, someone is gonna make a hell of a lot of money off it, somehow, that's for sure, while everyone dependent on this will be totally fucked and have spent the last 10 years of their life responding solely to a screen (and it's demands) to generate income for themselves. Not to mention, the data again. Imagine a "credit report" type score of all the data gleaned from you, from your job, from your home, from your fit bit. Once someone decides what they deem valuable in this data set and has the access to capital to implement any whimsical, delusional idea... "Sorry Chad, you can't work (live/be insured/etc) here, your 'digital signature/identity' is not up to our standards, your health is no good, your habits are bad, you're not a real go getter in your VR games..." I mean, this stuff is already happening, it's widely known, even NPR is talking about it... (I wonder why...)

Elon Musk and his milieu might talk the way they do for two reasons. 1) They actually have gone to enough shammanic-raves and done enough DMT to actually believe in something as benign, fallacious, and mystifying as a "singularity" in the sense it has been popularized. Or 2), providing a flimsy mythology made up of weak, abstract scientific buzz words to the millions of stoners watching science docs on Netflix, and other generally mindless minions wondering what the future is going to be like in 20X6--providing them something in a way of a narrative of progress geared towards atheist woke consumers of technology. Something so they won't panic that species are going extinct more rapidly than the ice age, and that late capitalism has everyone in a cybernetic playpen... Science needs a religion too.

are you ok mate

[account deactivated]
My friend is studying informatics and what surprised me is how widespread identity politics are. West coast so obviously this doesn't apply everywhere but the same people who cannot understand why we would not gameify everything on earth are also studying queer representation in games and gamergate. This appears to be the majority of grad students since the program is so bloated by corporate money while pretending to be academic and necessitating original research from a bunch of upper class students of middling intelligence. But yeah, academia anticipates hegemonic language by a decade or so, gamification to discipline the proletariat and identity politics will the same package sold to companies if they aren't already.
tbh I feel a slight urge to defend myself, but, what's done is done.

babyhueypnewton posted:

My friend is studying informatics and what surprised me is how widespread identity politics are. West coast so obviously this doesn't apply everywhere but the same people who cannot understand why we would not gameify everything on earth are also studying queer representation in games and gamergate. This appears to be the majority of grad students since the program is so bloated by corporate money while pretending to be academic and necessitating original research from a bunch of upper class students of middling intelligence. But yeah, academia anticipates hegemonic language by a decade or so, gamification to discipline the proletariat and identity politics will the same package sold to companies if they aren't already.

"gamification" has vanishingly little to do with queer people, and is basically a constant at any university that's relatively tuned in to current bourg best-practices R&D

levoydpage posted:

tbh I feel a slight urge to defend myself, but, what's done is done.

I liked your post. Don't be so hard on yourself kid.

the best thing about phones is that its now socially acceptable to pull them out in any sort of situation and people just assume youre an idiotic but essentially harmless facebook junkie checking for likes when actually ive disapeared into a book on surplus value and its revolutionary implications

babyhueypnewton posted:

I don't actually like this post but I feel that changing an accidental upvote to a downvote is spiteful, and not conducive to the kind of atmosphere we want to foster here on the forums. "Let the upvotes flow freely among them"

tears posted:

the best thing about phones is that its now socially acceptable to pull them out in any sort of situation and people just assume youre an idiotic but essentially harmless facebook junkie checking for likes when actually ive disapeared into a book on surplus value and its revolutionary implications

“Whatchu readin there?”

c_man posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

"gamification" has vanishingly little to do with queer people, and is basically a constant at any university that's relatively tuned in to current bourg best-practices R&D

No you don't understand, this is not the ideology of the university though obviously the academic system elevates people with the proper ideology. Every single individual in California grad school including the professors, is a "post-colonialist" who cannibalizes Marx into a system of difference and flat ontology suited for neoliberalism. Gamification is simply a subset of this study which happens to be more directly monetizable but the flattening of identity and elevating of difference against Marxism and imperialist as a world system with laws of motion and historical boundaries is 100%, I have yet to meet a single individual in any field who doesn't start from that foundation. That's what interests me and your objection is petty since it's caught up in the identity politics disputes (characterized by a persecution complex) within that vision (which is anti-Marxist) rather than the fundamental ideological framework that has taken over scholarship entirely. The stakes are far higher than whether you personally think orthodox Marxism "respects queerness" enough.

e: though within post-colonial "Marxism" the reverse is true, the single biggest objection to the USSR I see among those who wish to defend it is its "treatment of LGBT" people, a fascinating ideological framing of what is important and what lessons emerge from 100 years of the left even if that level of generalization is only implicit. So clearly there is room within Marxism for this ideology to take root without disputing the incompatible foundations.

Edited by babyhueypnewton ()

tears posted:

sometime ago i was standing at a train station reading a Physical Book™ and some older guy was like 'hey, this guy's reading a real book, thats cool', which wouldn't have happened if i had been reading on a phone, the devil's tool

babyhueypnewton posted:

No you don't understand, this is not the ideology of the university though obviously the academic system elevates people with the proper ideology. Every single individual in California grad school including the professors, is a "post-colonialist" who cannibalizes Marx into a system of difference and flat ontology suited for neoliberalism. Gamification is simply a subset of this study which happens to be more directly monetizable but the flattening of identity and elevating of difference against Marxism and imperialist as a world system with laws of motion and historical boundaries is 100%, I have yet to meet a single individual in any field who doesn't start from that foundation. That's what interests me and your objection is petty since it's caught up in the identity politics disputes (characterized by a persecution complex) within that vision (which is anti-Marxist) rather than the fundamental ideological framework that has taken over scholarship entirely. The stakes are far higher than whether you personally think orthodox Marxism "respects queerness" enough.

e: though within post-colonial "Marxism" the reverse is true, the single biggest objection to the USSR I see among those who wish to defend it is its "treatment of LGBT" people, a fascinating ideological framing of what is important and what lessons emerge from 100 years of the left even if that level of generalization is only implicit. So clearly there is room within Marxism for this ideology to take root without disputing the incompatible foundations.

"gamification" is way broader than california or any individual branch of academia. it's an ideological development of the administrative stata, playing a big role in the forward looking perspective of academic pedagogy as well as mediating connections to industry. whatever unique qualities there are about the academy in california, "gamification" is certainly not one of them. my point is that it has nothing to do with queer people and your chauvinism is leading you to totally misplace the role that it plays in the academy.

c_man posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

"gamification" is way broader than california or any individual branch of academia. it's an ideological development of the administrative stata, playing a big role in the forward looking perspective of academic pedagogy as well as mediating connections to industry. whatever unique qualities there are about the academy in california, "gamification" is certainly not one of them. my point is that it has nothing to do with queer people and your chauvinism is leading you to totally misplace the role that it plays in the academy.

gamification is not merely administration but the combination of administration with popular ideology. while it is more efficient to exploit the proletariat by turning dreary work in to candy crush (I'm not actually convinced this is the case) and tapping into the addictive qualities of free-to-play stimuli, this strategy emerged from popular culture and the self-disciplining of the Western petty-bourgeoisie to the new regime of intellectual labor. it is not something like Taylorism or Fordism imposed top down or from within industry and in my opinion is not progressive for socialism but the final erasing of base and superstructure into a singular "post-production" decadence. that "queer studies" (which remember has little to do with human beings and everything to do with post-human identity and the ontology of "queering" Marxism (metanarratives but the target is always Marxism-Leninism)) would be part of the cultural movement that allowed gamification to act on a ready population isn't surprising to me. I'm only interested in California because of the pioneering role San Francisco liberalism played in this understanding of identity as a form of game itself (with the "play" of drag being the metaphor for resistance to hierarchy).

babyhueypnewton posted:

that "queer studies" (which remember has little to do with human beings and everything to do with post-human identity) would be part of the cultural movement that allowed gamification to act on a ready population isn't surprising to me.

even if this were even mostly true it would be a total non-sequitur and has much less to do with anything else that's unique about california culture besides as a concomitant symptom of the technocratic liberatrianism that was the ideological foundation of all the major industries in the state

c_man posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

that "queer studies" (which remember has little to do with human beings and everything to do with post-human identity) would be part of the cultural movement that allowed gamification to act on a ready population isn't surprising to me.

even if this were even mostly true it would be a total non-sequitur and has much less to do with anything else that's unique about california culture besides as a concomitant symptom of the technocratic liberatrianism that was the ideological foundation of all the major industries in the state

you're looking for specters that aren't there. if you can't remove the concept of "queering" as an ideology from your idea that gays should have bourgeois rights and are human beings (a position no one really disagrees with except some queer scholars who are themselves queering these ideas without positing any real alternative) that's your problem, you've been arguing with republicans too long and forgotten that Marxists can criticize identity politics without secretly being white male oppressors.

the causality is backwards anyway, class struggle emerges from material conditions and you aren't more Marxist by being more "woke," the general level of Marxist understandings of identity politics (which, outside of this forum, are the predominant site of struggle) perfectly corresponds to our conditions.

babyhueypnewton posted:

you're looking for specters that aren't there. if you can't remove the concept of "queering" as an ideology from your idea that gays should have bourgeois rights and are human beings (a position no one really disagrees with except some queer scholars who are themselves queering these ideas without positing any real alternative) that's your problem, you've been arguing with republicans too long and forgotten that Marxists can criticize identity politics without secretly being white male oppressors.

the causality is backwards anyway, class struggle emerges from material conditions and you aren't more Marxist by being more "woke," the general level of Marxist understandings of identity politics (which, outside of this forum, are the predominant site of struggle) perfectly corresponds to our conditions.

you're inventing whole cloth what i "believe" about anything under discussion here. all ive done is try to explain to you why your chauvinism is leading you down blind alleys.

edit: i'll be more precise. what i actually believe is that "queer studies" is not distinct from any other academic discipline in terms of having its reproduction (both as a field of study and for individuals working in the field) contingent on providing sufficient foundation for the creation of bourgeois ideology that allows it to effectively address and comprehend the novel social and material structures that it needs to digest in order to reproduce itself.

Edited by c_man ()

What is the current state of gamefication?

Last time I looked at it was more than 3 years ago and it looked like a dead end to me... Attaching points to boring work won't fool anyone (except to the extent we are being trained by Facebook/rhizome upvotes)

I haven't really followed computer have themselves either, it seems to me there hasn't been much ground breaking work there either?
its still probably a dead end imo, its probably on its way out but i also dont have the exposure to those circles that i used to so i dont have anything concrete to give you
I guess I was just asking are they doing anything interesting with it.... Thinking about it, the 'smart city' and battlefield are looking like games for commanders to play.

But I struggle to see how any of this would fool or be accepted by ordinary workers/people

levoydpage posted:

exit the dimwit...

poignance and digression

xipe posted:

I guess I was just asking are they doing anything interesting with it.... Thinking about it, the 'smart city' and battlefield are looking like games for commanders to play.

But I struggle to see how any of this would fool or be accepted by ordinary workers/people

i dont think the "game" aspects have very much longevity for the pretty straightforward reasons that people have brought up already, but i think it prompted the development of certain kinds of infrastructures (often involving mobile electronics and either microtransactions or brief queries for information) that we will probably see more of going forward.