le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

getfiscal posted:

Goat is somewhat right that voting for the lesser evil often makes sense, even though we might get caught up in our anger towards both options and consider the election a farce. We might regret not voting for the lesser evil once we fully realize what happened, especially if the option we were sure was going to lose ends up winning. And that's why Goatstein should vote for Hillary Clinton.

i'm not going to post pictures of myself voting for trump and then screaming about how trump is the end of the world.

hmmm, we'll see abou t that. life has a way of surprising us all

i'm not going to post pictures of myself voting for trump and then screaming about how trump is the end of the world.

Actually he voted for a nonsense option he had to write in, so it'd be more comparable to the PSL.

blinkandwheeze posted:

Petrol posted:

as if all western proles (white or otherwise) can be sensibly understood and dismissed as "labour aristocracy"

i don't believe the entirety of the western proletariat constitute a labour aristocracy. i do believe that the 65+ support base from almost exclusively white regions that were the height of fordist development in britain are probably the clearest example of an "ageing labour aristocracy" possible though

well good, then we agree.

i've been trying to argue that it is a mistake to write the whole of the leave vote off in this way, which unfortunately is exactly what some so-called leftists are doing right now - if only by implication, as they lament brexit as an entirely racist phenomenon, and angrily dismiss anyone who tries to say otherwise. that's the essence of the position which i admittedly overstated when i argued the interpretation of those poll results.

did jay leno have a stroke he sounds like he's doing an impression of himself

tpaine posted:

i had deadken pegged from the start, as usual my ownage went unheeded. now look at you

where am i pegged.

stegosaurus posted:

tpaine posted:
i had deadken pegged from the start, as usual my ownage went unheeded. now look at you
where am i pegged.

to the british pound. time to die bitch

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

Goat is somewhat right that voting for the lesser evil often makes sense, even though we might get caught up in our anger towards both options and consider the election a farce. We might regret not voting for the lesser evil once we fully realize what happened, especially if the option we were sure was going to lose ends up winning. And that's why Goatstein should vote for Hillary Clinton.

Many people on this web site Will brag about voting for a funny joke answer like a duck area or the "LCPCPLP" candidate and then will scream about how trump is the end of the world, however.

getfiscal posted:

Actually he voted for a nonsense option he had to write in, so it'd be more comparable to the PSL.

Hello.

[account deactivated]
That's the likeminded comedy electricity that will get Keven and I in a Judd Apatow film.
yiVifxb6tVo

HenryKrinkle posted:

"dividing the imperialist nations is good" could easily lead to "let the Confederacy break away" just fyi. explain the difference.

Scotland isn't advocating enslaving indians

i really dont think trump is the end of the world, either. i think there's a lot of people in both parties' power classes who want you to believe he is the end of the world to maintain their own power, but donald trump is a fairly standard republican with a few small but not particularly material differences. he supports protectionism, he has been the frontrunner for a while, and he's an insurgent. protectionism is not necessarily bad for the american worker, but it's poison to internationalists and the wealthy. insurgency disrupts all these little dungeon master plans all the tweedy fucks in DC make up and openly challenges their bullshit, so they hate that too. and he's the frontrunner, so he catches the most attention. i have no doubt that if any other republican had dominated from day 1, internet liberals wouldn't be screaming that he was the new hitler. more objectively, on rhetoric he's somewhat worse on muslims and mexicans than the average republican, but not much, and he's better on gays and imperialism than the average republican, but not much. in practical terms these considerations are nearly identical. if trump wins we maybe get a big open muslim travel ban. if clinton wins we definitely get a moderately sized secret muslim no-travel list. whatever else is true, one is not the apocalypse in comparison to the other

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

Urbandale posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

"dividing the imperialist nations is good" could easily lead to "let the Confederacy break away" just fyi. explain the difference.

Scotland isn't advocating enslaving indians

.....anymore!!! haha. dual meaning of "indians." fucken swish

[account deactivated]
That was the joke actually

Urbandale posted:

That was the joke actually

*u sit down in a movie theater and feel a sharp pain* *look at note* welcome to the world of fail aids

i really dont think trump is the end of the world, either.

maybe not but his campaign alone is bringing a helluva lot of erstwhile nazis out of the woodwork and giving them a platform and sense of self-assurance they haven't had for a while. having said that i still believe a clinton presidency would be significantly worse for the rest of the world. so many votes this year with no clear winner

[account deactivated]
Keven and I: a movie about spelling Kevin's name correctly
Looking at which regions voted which way is very interesting

In england there is a very stark outline in blue (remain majority) radiating out along the three main coridors into london.

- the M4 corridor (west)
- the Cambridge coridor (north)
- the guildford coridor (south/southwest)

These correspond with some of the wealthiest areas in britain that tend to have a large number of london communters and large quantities of financial sector employed people and that outflow of financial wrealth from the capital boosts their local economies. - Oxfordshire, buckinghamshire, cabridge, guildford etc. The picture round london lines up very neatly with an income tax map

Looking at wales Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan and Monmouthshire voted in - these are the three richest counties in Wales. Ceredigion and Gwynedd are strongly Lib Dem (lol) and Plaid Welsh nationalist heartland respectivly. - everywhere else was majority out.

Just so we have this clear then, the leave voters are overwhelmingly hitler, and there are no other significant factors at play

Petrol posted:

blinkandwheeze posted:

Petrol posted:

as if all western proles (white or otherwise) can be sensibly understood and dismissed as "labour aristocracy"

i don't believe the entirety of the western proletariat constitute a labour aristocracy. i do believe that the 65+ support base from almost exclusively white regions that were the height of fordist development in britain are probably the clearest example of an "ageing labour aristocracy" possible though

well good, then we agree.

i've been trying to argue that it is a mistake to write the whole of the leave vote off in this way, which unfortunately is exactly what some so-called leftists are doing right now - if only by implication, as they lament brexit as an entirely racist phenomenon, and angrily dismiss anyone who tries to say otherwise. that's the essence of the position which i admittedly overstated when i argued the interpretation of those poll results.

there's huge amounts of racism and xenophobia in the leave vote, because of the obvious misdirection of the entire ruling elite in shifting the blame for entire lack of jobs and services to migrants and because the british left are complacent largely middle class failures who do nothing to engage with the working class, who they generally regard as thick lumpenproles best exhibited in jeremy kyle-like zoos that they will only encounter when a new pop-up cupcakery and craft brewey arrives nearby. when real fascism happens-when there is a literal fascist execution just down the road-their reaction is to hold tearful vigils and mourn what a beautiful young woman and waste of life this was, like she was murdered by a force of nature and not by a rising tide of fascist ideology that is encouraged by pretty much every mainstream news source and not challenged by anyone.

the reaction of my liberal left friends has been wailing and gnashing of teeth, dismissing everyone who voted out as old and racist and hoping they die soon and basically acting like the eu handed british workers every right they have on a plate and we'll die in the gutter without their beneficence. as natural individualists they can sneer "racist" at people with thick regional accents but they can't understand racism as an ideology with a traceable source which can be attacked. this is 101 stuff but the failure of the left on the ground here really can't be understated.

people who live hand to mouth in this country are crammed into the same shitty areas to fight over the last council houses like the fucking hunger games and are drip-fed daily racism through our famously awful tabloids telling them they have nothing because there used to be nice things but now there's less of them because immigrants have them, not because vulture capitalists have cut public services to the bone, and they believe this. the left should be challenging this but as the mainstream left is now essentially centrist they just point out how dirty their clothes are and how they say words funny on Channel 4 News and oh no the pound is dropping. "you cunts, look what you've done. it's not even 7am and the pound is at an all time low! now we're all poor AND we look racist! i can't wait for all the old people to die!"

overfire posted:

there's huge amounts of racism and xenophobia in the leave vote, because of the obvious misdirection of the entire ruling elite in shifting the blame for entire lack of jobs and services to migrants and because the british left are complacent largely middle class failures who do nothing to engage with the working class,

nevar forget:

Petrol posted:

overfire posted:

there's huge amounts of racism and xenophobia in the leave vote, because of the obvious misdirection of the entire ruling elite in shifting the blame for entire lack of jobs and services to migrants and because the british left are complacent largely middle class failures who do nothing to engage with the working class, who they generally regard as thick lumpenproles best exhibited in jeremy kyle-like zoos that they will only encounter when a new pop-up cupcakery and craft brewey arrives nearby. when real fascism happens-when there is a literal fascist execution just down the road-their reaction is to hold tearful vigils and mourn what a beautiful young woman and waste of life this was, like she was murdered by a force of nature and not by a rising tide of fascist ideology that is encouraged by pretty much every mainstream news source and not challenged by anyone.

the reaction of my liberal left friends has been wailing and gnashing of teeth, dismissing everyone who voted out as old and racist and hoping they die soon and basically acting like the eu handed british workers every right they have on a plate and we'll die in the gutter without their beneficence. as natural individualists they can sneer "racist" at people with thick regional accents but they can't understand racism as an ideology with a traceable source which can be attacked. this is 101 stuff but the failure of the left on the ground here really can't be understated.

people who live hand to mouth in this country are crammed into the same shitty areas to fight over the last council houses like the fucking hunger games and are drip-fed daily racism through our famously awful tabloids telling them they have nothing because there used to be nice things but now there's less of them because immigrants have them, not because vulture capitalists have cut public services to the bone, and they believe this. the left should be challenging this but as the mainstream left is now essentially centrist they just point out how dirty their clothes are and how they say words funny on Channel 4 News and oh no the pound is dropping. "you cunts, look what you've done. it's not even 7am and the pound is at an all time low! now we're all poor AND we look racist! i can't wait for all the old people to die!"

this is the perennial mistake of the western left, and a fatal mistake: giving credit for every shitty popular decision to the political architects of the right, having a perfectionist intolerance for the actions of fragile limited humans trying to survive in an environment of extreme disinformation and deceit, and therefore ceding to the fascist all agency for determining the state of the world. teaching the masses that they are fascists will only help convince them that they are fascists. white people, both affluent and not, have a great deal to answer for, but nothing good will be accomplished by voluntarily handing them over to the enemy and telling them they belong there.

they would rather do nothing and say "it wasn't me!" than risk complicity in a failure to achieve the right thing.

there is a tactical time and place to give up on people and communities that cannot be salvaged, but yielding before the fight has even started is the quickest possible way to lose.

i'm just glad i can be around at least a handful of active people who know better.

hahaha, was there really a discussion earlier in this thread where lord ashcroft polls was taken seriously.

irony gone too far imo
rhizzone: deep state analysis of "chapo trap house" but lord ashcroft seems legit

tears posted:

rhizzone: deep state analysis of "chapo trap house" but lord ashcroft seems legit

i prefer not to keep track of who takes what seriously. its more fun that way.

The eu funds all sorts of social projects studying abroad and interesting international jobs for an elite sliver of the middle class so its not surprising Sam kriss is in tears over missing out on that.

When out canvassing in Dublin for the housing crisis here the most common reason people give for why their housing is horrible is ' too many foreigners'

I think the best/only way to change this is common struggle ie sharing their housing problems together then supporting each other as they fight land lords and the council
LORD Ashcroft, a billionaire worth £1.32 billion and owner of the country Belize, conducted an online poll, you WONT BELIEVE what he found:
Anyone know how Stay supporters on the radical left rationalize their position contra workers in southern european states? And rhetoric aside, is it clear that leaving the EU guarantees a conservative shift in immigration policy? Maybe I'm just ignorant of the details, but it seems to me that that whole side of the debate is tangential to what the EU actually does.
how many times do you reckon zziek can trot out that fucking anecdote about stalin saying "they're both worse"

http://europe.newsweek.com/brexit-eu-referendum-left-wing-politics-europe-zizek-474322

marimite posted:

Anyone know how Stay supporters on the radical left rationalize their position contra workers in southern european states? And rhetoric aside, is it clear that leaving the EU guarantees a conservative shift in immigration policy? Maybe I'm just ignorant of the details, but it seems to me that that whole side of the debate is tangential to what the EU actually does.

they have, like, jobs and girlfriends from poland and similar bourgeois distractions from playing video games and posting on the rhizzone

tears posted:

hahaha, was there really a discussion earlier in this thread where lord ashcroft polls was taken seriously.

irony gone too far imo

I was taking the sam kriss jools tweets where he unironically referenced that stuff and trying to do a well actually on how he interpreted them. Please dont shame me for my shitty thought experiment. I am in the middle of exams and barely sleeping anymore haha

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

overfire posted:

how many times do you reckon zziek can trot out that fucking anecdote about stalin saying "they're both worse"

http://europe.newsweek.com/brexit-eu-referendum-left-wing-politics-europe-zizek-474322

Lemme at him. I want to gut him like a very big fish.

overfire posted:

Related Stories

Will Brexit Really Affect 'Game of Thrones'?

Glastonbury Revelers in Dismay at Brexit Decision

Brexit Leaves Alarm Bells Ringing in Israel

No, Brexit Doesn’t Mean Donald Trump Will Win the Election

the "Elvis" of philosophy

Petrol posted:

overfire posted:

Lemme at him. I want to gut him like a very big fish.

are you the one working on the zizek effort post? it needs to be written. the people have waited long enough