[account deactivated]
this is like the time my parents made me take niacin but worse
i spent too many years reading teh anti-'woo' as they used to call it blog 'respectful insolence' by the surgeon 'orac' on the scienceblogs web site to even attempt that. freud on the other hand is legit

tears posted:

dizastar posted:

i told you ... eat fermented foods, take 10000iu vitamin d every morning and do some yoga n tai chi........ this exact program will make you realize mental disorders are nothing but make believes, trust me

the "just eat a burger" post

mcrib is back

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

dizastar posted:

mental disorders as currently classified are make believes, mental wellbeing overall exists, just like any other facet of health. doing the semantics thing wont get you anywhere

I hope a loved one suffering from mental illness never has to depend on you because you would completely fuck up their life pretending their problems aren't real. Clean living doesn't fix schizophrenia.

gussri I'm sorry the last guy you were seeing was such a blowup. I have to ask, was he like... an actual certified care professional, or just some asshole? I think you would really benefit from some genuine competent mental health support, it's frustrating and exhausting but sometimes you just have to keep trying until you find the right person.

second_axiom posted:

if you wanna know what happened with that other dude we started getting in insane fucking screaming matches after i got in a fight with one of his trot friends on fb and he decided i was a 'sociopath' and an 'internet troll' and a 'fake marxist who only cared about looking smart online' and so on and so forth, our sessions frequently ended with me in tears cause hed scream at me so bad and wouldnt let me even speak so i went total sicko mode one last time and decided to sever

sounds like a good analyst

I'm getting a lot better at the guitar thanks to this guy I really like having a Youtube channel where he just shows you how to play exactly what he's playing. Learning Western Swing songs, chord melodies, tons of great voicings, building up my finger strength...very pleasant. Running out of money though.

dizastar posted:

tears posted:

dizastar posted:

i told you ... eat fermented foods, take 10000iu vitamin d every morning and do some yoga n tai chi........ this exact program will make you realize mental disorders are nothing but make believes, trust me

the "just eat a burger" post

thats not the same though, meditative practices, probiotics and vitamin d all have proven positive effects on mental health. nothing is an instant cure this takes time just like everything else. is the permanent contempt included in the depression package or was that already there?

you missunderstand - you're going up to people with anorexia nervosa and telling them to just eat a burger

"Doctor help my arm is broken" "Hmm, have you tried not having a broken arm? Here's some vitamins. That'll be $4000."
like idk but tapping someone stuck in a binge-purge cycle, or low restriction, or mania, or delusional psychosis, on the shoulder and telling them to do more yoga and take vitamins seems a bit... clueless - like telling people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps
[account deactivated]
Popped a Centrum Silver and it cleared my early onset Alzheimer's right up, dunno why everyone's so worked up
I have a "baby" "made-up" mental illness if you count ADHD as one, but really the concrete effects for example is like me taking 12 years to do a 4 year undergrad, job and relationship difficulties, task saliency, losing almost everything I own if I am not actively holding it, etc.
Pretty easy to handwave it because it's not that big of a deal, but also you'd really just have to not have any true perspective on the issue to casually sequester something like schizophrenia alongside general learning disabilities, let alone like, if you've ever seen a complete full blown psychotic state, you'd probably wouldn't assume it's because the guy is getting a crunchwrap after work every day.
Working out certainly fucking rules and I cannot stress enough how much you can pull yourself out of a hole with it, but it certainly won't solve everything and at this point culturally speaking, I'm sure that literally everyone with depression has heard the evangelism of the 'clean your room bucko' brigade for long enough to find it just a tiiiiny bit insipid.
easy mistake to make to start denouncing or minimizing the concept of mental illness instead of being horrified by how it's currently dealt with in society imo

toyot posted:

gussri you talk about goin to taco bell enough and not sleeping enough, that not knowing anything else about you, you could fight your protracted internal war on the overgrown aspects of yourself, much better and faster, by fixing sleep and diet as step 1, as part of a larger, before-and-after decision you have not made yet, to live the back half of your life more fully than the front. if you are holding onto aspects of yourself adopted as a teenager, then you are taking advice on how to live from a teenager. when you evaporate those aspects you just have to be okay with whatever adult person emerges, be okay trusting your own method. 'evaporate' meaning, develop a mental method to carry a scoop of dirt down off crazy mountain, multiple times a day for years. the feeling of chipping away at it should be like pure clarity. sorry for mixing the metaphors. you'll probably figure out the method immediately before you make the decision to use it every day for years. you'll develop very good self-study discipline this way. ppl say 'meditate', it's like a math fan saying 'calculate', but the content matters, you gotta figure out how to manufacture your own clarity.

ive been thinking about this post a lot and i dont know what to say about it really but i guess thats something.. id have to think about how to do this massive and scary fucking thing in a practical way, if i wanted to and whatd it even mean lol

shriekingviolet posted:

gussri I'm sorry the last guy you were seeing was such a blowup. I have to ask, was he like... an actual certified care professional, or just some asshole? I think you would really benefit from some genuine competent mental health support, it's frustrating and exhausting but sometimes you just have to keep trying until you find the right person.

afaik he had a social work degree from uchicago and was affiliated with the lesser-known institute in town, but he also told me he uh, modded an internet forum at one point so you know it all evens out i suppose. my only mistake was forgetting to ask which forum it was..

thanks for the other replies, i dont have much to add tho
i think i would rather kill myself than admit to the shame of modding an internet forum

Parenti posted:

I'm getting a lot better at the guitar thanks to this guy I really like having a Youtube channel where he just shows you how to play exactly what he's playing. Learning Western Swing songs, chord melodies, tons of great voicings, building up my finger strength...very pleasant. Running out of money though.

is it the 'anyone can play guitar' guy

it's a security precaution, administrative access can never be compromised because no amount of coercion could make someone admit being stupid enough to accept a position of responsibility here. 100% ironclad
marknat immediately left the forum as soon as they were given mod powers
within the mpls left people are spreading an anarchist critique of a march getting kettled saying "wHY dIDn't YoU jUSt riOT", it isn't healthy for me to spend time thinking or acknowledging the existence of anarchists

pogfan1996 posted:

within the mpls left people are spreading an anarchist critique of a march getting kettled saying "wHY dIDn't YoU jUSt riOT", it isn't healthy for me to spend time thinking or acknowledging the existence of anarchists

if you smash your face into the cop's boot first he won't have the chance to stomp on you

dizastar posted:

mental disorders as currently classified are make believes, mental wellbeing overall exists, just like any other facet of health. doing the semantics thing wont get you anywhere

fuc u

stegosaurus posted:

Parenti posted:

is it the 'anyone can play guitar' guy

No it's this guy called Whit Smith. He's the guitarist for the awesome band Hot Club of Cowtown and he just has a channel where he shows you how to be as awesome as him.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK0oE3YRGSc&t;=742s&ab;_channel=WhitSmith[/video]

half my coworkers got the rona, im working forever
I have a petit-bourgeois frustration of the day.

I used to have an e-reader, initially bought it maybe six years ago or more. Got quite some use out of it, it's easier on the eyes and I read a lot of books on it that would've been expensive and/or difficult to get here (thanks libgen and russian pirates, you are creating communism in the here and now). I lost it a few years back. I've got a better salary now and figured, hey, I should get a new one. I'll drop dead before buying any of the amazon devices, so I took a (too) quick look at the alternatives, which is to say that I googled it and clicked the first link and looked at the things on the list, which led me to buy a kobo.

This thing is a piece of fucking shit. It requires you to make an account before using it so it can track all your data. It wants to connect to the internet any time it can to get "updates". What the fuck does an e-reader even need updates for? It just needs to display .pdfs and .epubs! The UI is terrible and it has a whole bunch of functions that are both unnecessary and poorly implemented. What the hell. I paid more money for this thing than I did for the one I used to have six years ago, and it is inferior in every way. Planned obsolescence already gets me incredibly angry to begin with, the least you can do is not make it literally worse. Anyway, kill all engineers.

ultragauchiste posted:

I used to have an e-reader, initially bought it maybe six years ago or more. Got quite some use out of it, it's easier on the eyes and I read a lot of books on it that would've been expensive and/or difficult to get here (thanks libgen and russian pirates, you are creating communism in the here and now). I lost it a few years back. I've got a better salary now and figured, hey, I should get a new one. I'll drop dead before buying any of the amazon devices, so I took a (too) quick look at the alternatives, which is to say that I googled it and clicked the first link and looked at the things on the list, which led me to buy a kobo.

This thing is a piece of fucking shit. It requires you to make an account before using it so it can track all your data. It wants to connect to the internet any time it can to get "updates". What the fuck does an e-reader even need updates for? It just needs to display .pdfs and .epubs! The UI is terrible and it has a whole bunch of functions that are both unnecessary and poorly implemented. What the hell. I paid more money for this thing than I did for the one I used to have six years ago, and it is inferior in every way. Planned obsolescence already gets me incredibly angry to begin with, the least you can do is not make it literally worse. Anyway, kill all engineers.

Rakuten Ichiba is the largest e-commerce site in Japan. The company operates Japan's biggest Internet bank and number one credit card company by transaction value. It also offers e-commerce, fintech, digital content and communications services to over one billion members around the world, and operates in 29 countries and regions. It is often referred to as "the Amazon of Japan".

the reason to have a Kobo account is that it takes like five seconds to break their DRM

elias posted:

ultragauchiste posted:

Rakuten Ichiba is the largest e-commerce site in Japan. The company operates Japan's biggest Internet bank and number one credit card company by transaction value. It also offers e-commerce, fintech, digital content and communications services to over one billion members around the world, and operates in 29 countries and regions. It is often referred to as "the Amazon of Japan".

Huh. Turns out Zizek was right and there really is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

you shouldve bought a raspberry pi and an epaper lcd screen and made your own ereader obviously
should have made your own raspberry pi and epaper lcd screen with salvaged components from an ewaste dump

e: this was originally written as a joke before i remembered that i got both my laptops out of dumpsters

Edited by zhaoyao ()

[account deactivated]
the one with busted hinges i use for personal desktop use & the one where none of the keys on the right side work is for serious business
epaper is not any kind of lcd!!!
what kind of tv is it then
[account deactivated]