[account deactivated]
i went to the anti-islamophobia counter-protest at vancouver city hall yesterday... the islamophobia group never showed up so i basically got duped into coming out and hearing the mayor give a speech where he used the ongoing housing crisis as a punchline. HE MADE A DAMN FOOL OF EVERY ONE OF US

that's pretty much what happened at boston too.
the failson brigade has been scared into submission up here too. it's pretty nice, but also frustrating that when we bust our asses and successfully get the nazis to back down the liberals step up to piss and moan defending them
went to the book shop and there was an extremely overweight dude with a neckbeard sat inside reading china meiville while nodding and making little sounds like "uh huh" and "mmmm" like he was reading some really interesting work of theory rather than a book about the pied piper of dubstep
Who cares
you care enough to reply

tears posted:

went to the book shop and there was an extremely overweight dude with a neckbeard sat inside reading china meiville while nodding and making little sounds like "uh huh" and "mmmm" like he was reading some really interesting work of theory rather than a book about the pied piper of dubstep

same except the fat guy is me and the book is ready player one

i am all fat guys in all OPs everywhere goon sir. trip report: china mieville is good as shit and gay as hell much like your posting
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

LOOK AT SHANE!!

JR (extremely uninterested): "Who could it be..."

[account deactivated]
Thinking of buying a knife. Or a gun.

Edited by mediumpig ()

Red_Canadian posted:

I think you're the only person here who is taking a political side. Surely you can see that describing the situation as " Selling grain whilst some ukrainians starved" is callous as all hell regardless of what your political leanings are? Like 8 million Ukrainians died. This is literally like describing the holocaust as "some Jews were forced to stay in camps".

Yeah things like "the Holodomor happened and was intention and/or evil" to these sorts of people is apolitical and impartial truth. They dont realize those beliefs are ideological. there's lots of things that are so propagandized that they're like a third rail, like any meek defense of the DPRK for example, or Assad, Gaddafi. The response is "Those are 100% insane dictator places ruled by devious madmen who blow up political opponents with acme-brand dynamite, which is a very realistic concept to me because it can't be otherwise because everything I hear in polite company says so"

everyone in europe and america believes in a fictional famine that some ukranian nazis made up....owned much?
The Dust Bowl killed 7 million people
The Dust Bowl killed 7 million people
Wow according to two very reliable sources, the Dust Bowl killed 14 million people.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

In the age of alt-facts, deeply researched reporting is more crucial than ever. Join us this October 20 - 22nd as writers and journalists from The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Atlantic and ahahaha im sorry i cant keep going can you believe this shit they're making me write. helphelphelphelp and more, gather in Banff to discuss practical next steps in the critical conversation around media and democracy.

very angry person: can you believe this shit, every one of these racist fuckers believes that stalin starved millions of people
me, calm and collected: yeah, extremely fucked up isnt it. now, lets have some beers and watch the minions movie
very angry person: yeah, o.k.

thinking of getting into therapy
somehow i am reminded of a Classic Petrol Post from the ukraine thread

Petrol posted:

so i was at the pub last night drinking beers, and talking with people. somehow ukraine came up, and one of the people i was talking with, who is young and basically an accidental leftist, a vegan, not very well read i guess, said some stuff about what russia was doing there, how they're trying to start a big war or something - the usual stuff, ukraine troubles are all russias fault etc. so of course i had to try and set the record straight

well, haha, okay. it's all russias fault. that's one way of looking at it.

oh? what's the other way?

well, the worst things that are happening there, especially the nazi stuff, the resurgence of actual nazis doing brutal murders, this is absolutely the fault of europe and america, they have directly sponsored this. and the bigger picture is nato's eastward expansion...

oh, okay, we're going to use big terminology are we??

uh, haha, okay. well, nato has been steadily encroaching on eastern europe, ukraine is a big part of that. and russia, look, i'm not saying putin's an angel!! but russia is naturally going to respond, they also have to defend themselves.

right. okay.

you don't know what nato is capable of.

Yesterday I met a Ukrainian guy at a tool library and we were discussing the importance of community organizations like the tool library. And then he mentioned that the resources should be provided by the state, and then he started talking about how the Communists provided all these resources to allow for a bunch of community activities that he then discussed briefly. And he was sort of tip toeing around praising communism too much, but then I was like... It's all good man. I'm a communist. Capitalism sucks.
And all was good in the world
And that's how I met a new comrade.
my ukrainian roomie story is him saying soo i heard you were a communist? so you think you should give money to beggars even if they will spend it on drugs?

otoh he was an electrical engineer w a masters who had to enroll in a community college intro game design course so he could scam a residence permit in canada and i respect that

hey posted:

Yesterday I met a Ukrainian guy at a tool library and we were discussing the importance of community organizations like the tool library. And then he mentioned that the resources should be provided by the state, and then he started talking about how the Communists provided all these resources to allow for a bunch of community activities that he then discussed briefly. And he was sort of tip toeing around praising communism too much, but then I was like... It's all good man. I'm a communist. Capitalism sucks.
And all was good in the world
And that's how I met a new comrade.

good for u, i always fuck up these opportunities by staring coldly and asking "have you heard of ayn rand?" because i have a troll's heart.

roseweird posted:

i'm trying to learn to sublimate my judgements and irritations by regarding people who frustrate me as challenges of my social and emotional skills. the way to win the game is to understand them and have enriching and genuine interactions with them. it's hard but if i keep at it then when i am real old i will be so chill that no one will be able to imagine what a spaz i was in my youth

things that make people feel unsafe I challenge, but other than that if a person is coming in good faith and open minded we can talk. but im a person with an insanely acute social subtlety detector, and I can toss one time social interactions in my head for years

love 2 chat and act normal at functions and events with regular british people then go home and read about how every brick in the function building was mortared with the blood of at least 1 slave
hey tears, the tool library called... theiyre running out of you!!!
that seems harsh and unprovoked, but i remain calm and unmad
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
very interesting, considering our word algebra is derived from the arabic "al jabra" and was coined by an 8th century persian mathematciain. meaning true scholars should insist on a persian algebra teacher since thre ancient science surely flows therough their veins, if any
[account deactivated]
They just wanted an Armenian Algebra teacher, no biggie
There's probably a decent subset of wealthy "expat" types, especially Asians, who only want white teachers