i mean i understand that you think anything that produced you is an abysmal failure, but it's not your mother's fault satan impregnated her

Goethestein posted:
no thanks. just think about it: doesn't work for like the first twelve or thirteen years of its existence - a time longer than the lifespan of many medium-sized mammals. still can't safely be used for another three or four years after that or will likely lead to death. regular autonomic maintenance causes pain, mood swings, bloating, loss of fluids and iron. about one in eight times does not work at all, or only with extreme difficulty - imagine that rate with any other organ system. usage often leads to death in full-grown female without modern medicine. ceases working after only about 30 years of operation (again, imagine that with any other organ system) and chance of producing defective offspring increases dramatically until that point. lethal ectopic pregnancies are extremely common, as are stillbirths, congenital birth defects, and premature births, even with modern nutrition. gestation period of nine months; for the back half of the pregnancy, the mother goes through mood swings, pain, vomiting and becomes increasingly helpless to predators. median litter of only one. offspring does not develop enough internally; comes out utterly helpless and incompetent and remains that way for a startling amount of time: within a few hours after birth a deer or cow will be walking - it will take a human over a year, and at least three before they can do it reliably. it will be about ten years before the human can competently feed itself and be anything other than a joke to predators. initial intercourse causes pain, and infections common

why women are the lesser sex

goatstein posted:

counterpoint: getting kicked in the balls

external testicles have a clear evolutionary purpose. many mammals have internal testicles but the problem is that sperm develops better in less-warm environments. external testicles are more in danger but lead to higher sperm count
[account deactivated]
the slightest impact and bam, man down
there is no such thing as an "evolutionary purpose"
at least i don't have a hymen.
how can you count sperm. they are super tiny, man. theory destoryed.
[account deactivated]

Cycloneboy posted:
at least i don't have a hymen.

i read they're just a myth anyway

tpaine posted:
you guyz ever get nut shotted? holy shit bro. not even kidding. i mean what the fuck

no i never really have lol knocking on wood

shennong posted:

nice idiot opinion

[account deactivated]

Goethestein posted:

shennong posted:

nice idiot opinion

teleological arguments are by definition invalid in evolutionary theory, you cretin

teleology refers to destiny not to cause idiot
lmao you don't even know what teleology means in the context of evolutionary theory
Genitals have a clear evolutionary purpose, whereas genitals do not. I are wanty mr. stabby 2 send me to ifap

Goethestein posted:
teleology refers to destiny not to cause idiot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleology#Teleology_and_science

http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/2/

[account deactivated]

shennong posted:
lmao you don't even know what teleology means in the context of evolutionary theory

theres no such thing as evolutionary purpose. fish have gills at random. im a liberal arts major

"Darwin has taught us that seemingly teleological evolutionary changes and the production of adapted features are simply the result of variational evolution, the production of great variation in every generation, and the probabilistic survival of those individuals with the temporarily fittest phenotype.
Adaptedness thus is an a posteriori result rather than an a priori goal-seeking."

-Ernst Mayr
"The Idea of Teleology"

Goethestein posted:

shennong posted:

theres no such thing as evolutionary purpose. fish have gills at random. im a liberal arts major

ahahaha tell me more, did you take a course in undergrad about it??

yes it is true that creatures do not seek evolutionary adaptations. that doesn't mean that adaptations do not have purposes behind them. this is not difficult
no actually they do not have purposes behind them, you fucking moron. what survives and thrives is what is variably adaptable to the environment and conditions. they are mutations . variations . random changes
rampant fornication
right and the purpose of adaptations is to increase survivability within those conditions. the organism with those adaptations exists because it fit its environment. again, not a difficult concept to grasp

Goethestein posted:
right and the purpose of adaptations is to increase survivability within those conditions. the organism with those adaptations exists because it fit its environment. again, not a difficult concept to grasp

lmao

"this trait is adaptive because it exists"

[account deactivated]
that's a very simplistic way of putting it. more specifically, traits exist because they are beneficial or are insufficiently maladaptive to severely impact having viable offspring in context of all other adaptations and environment. for example, the human female can get away with producing inept grubs that cannot even fend for themselves for a decade because human society exists around her and developed to mitigate the failing of needing to produce offspring that are 50% skull by volume. again, not difficult
hahahah okay either youre really that stupid or you are getting stabby. Either way you better flip your lid before i get to stabbeing

what is the function of the stomach? is it to digest food? obviously. is that why the stomach exists? in a meaningful sense, yes. why not call it purpose?
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Officer Dead Ken, prepare the Institute to receive Patients.
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
Goethestein posted:
that's a very simplistic way of putting it. more specifically, traits exist because they are beneficial or are insufficiently maladaptive to severely impact having viable offspring in context of all other adaptations and environment. for example, the human female can get away with producing inept grubs that cannot even fend for themselves for a decade because human society exists around her and developed to mitigate the failing of needing to produce offspring that are 50% skull by volume. again, not difficult

- You, to your wife, while she's in labor

whats epigenetics preshus

discipline posted:

Goethestein posted:

- You, to your wife, while she's in labor

she's probably going to just get herself opened up, take it out like removing the battery from a honda, avoid the terrible design of mother nature