you cant talk people in or out of faith guys, thats why its obnoxious and stupid to act a vigilante missionary for atheism or religion. its not even the pretension or confrontational nature of the act, its just the total mishanlding of the subject matter. its like taking the tools out of someones hands and being like "let me show you how to do this" and then totally borking up
the fool who persists i guess
Wow who knew that talking about religion could be so freaking boring....

NounsareVerbs posted:
These days, the overwhelming function of religion is that of existential justification - the classic "God has a plan for everyone and people will get what they deserve after death." And that's fucking retarded - prevents any social change for the poor - and exactly what Marx meant when he said "opiate for the masses."

Marx was speaking of medieval (European, though of course as a 19th C European intellectual he never specifies that) religious institutions. He begins the introduction to Hegel's Philosophy of Right by stating

For Germany, the criticism of religion has been essentially completed, and the criticism of religion is the prerequisite of all criticism.

Why would he say this, if he was arguing for the total abolition of religious belief as a prerequisite to social revolution? I'll remind you that by 1843 (when this was written), America had already followed the French revolution and established a secular government. Germany was not yet unified.

If we were to begin with the German status quo itself, the result – even if we were to do it in the only appropriate way, i.e., negatively – would still be an anachronism. Even the negation of our present political situation is a dusty fact in the historical junk room of modern nations. If I negate powdered pigtails, I am still left with unpowdered pigtails. If I negate the situation in Germany in 1843, then according to the French calendar I have barely reached 1789, much less the vital centre of our present age.

He explicitly states there that a Jacobin revolution is irrelevant historically by that stage.

So let's continue to the bit directly following the famous lines you quoted:

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.

Criticism has plucked the imaginary flowers on the chain not in order that man shall continue to bear that chain without fantasy or consolation, but so that he shall throw off the chain and pluck the living flower. The criticism of religion disillusions man, so that he will think, act, and fashion his reality like a man who has discarded his illusions and regained his senses, so that he will move around himself as his own true Sun. Religion is only the illusory Sun which revolves around man as long as he does not revolve around himself.

Looks good so far right? "Religion" fools man into accepting his lot on this Earth. Let's continue:

It is, therefore, the task of history, once the other-world of truth has vanished, to establish the truth of this world. It is the immediate task of philosophy, which is in the service of history, to unmask self-estrangement in its unholy forms once the holy form of human self-estrangement has been unmasked. Thus, the criticism of Heaven turns into the criticism of Earth, the criticism of religion into the criticism of law, and the criticism of theology into the criticism of politics.

The following exposition – a contribution to this undertaking – concerns itself not directly with the original but with a copy, with the German philosophy of the state and of law. The only reason for this is that it is concerned with Germany.

This struggle against the limited content of the German status quo cannot be without interest even for the modern nations, for the German status quo is the open completion of the ancien régime and the ancien régime is the concealed deficiency of the modern state. The struggle against the German political present is the struggle against the past of the modern nations, and they are still burdened with reminders of that past. It is instructive for them to see the ancien régime, which has been through its tragedy with them, playing its comedy as a German revenant. Tragic indeed was the pre-existing power of the world, and freedom, on the other hand, was a personal notion; in short, as long as it believed and had to believe in its own justification. As long as the ancien régime, as an existing world order, struggled against a world that was only coming into being, there was on its side a historical error, not a personal one. That is why its downfall was tragic.

On the other hand, the present German regime, an anachronism, a flagrant contradiction of generally recognized axioms, the nothingness of the ancien régime exhibited to the world, only imagines that it believes in itself and demands that the world should imagine the same thing. If it believed in its own essence, would it try to hide that essence under the semblance of an alien essence and seek refuge in hypocrisy and sophism? The modern ancien régime is rather only the comedian of a world order whose true heroes are dead. History is thorough and goes through many phases when carrying an old form to the grave. The last phases of a world-historical form is its comedy. The gods of Greece, already tragically wounded to death in Aeschylus’s tragedy Prometheus Bound, had to re-die a comic death in Lucian’s Dialogues. Why this course of history? So that humanity should part with its past cheerfully. This cheerful historical destiny is what we vindicate for the political authorities of Germany.

Marx taunts the kingdoms of Germany for being on the "wrong side of history". This is precisely equivalent to, as you claim, "God having a plan for everyone". he is explicitly substituting Divine Will with History. You also claim that religion today is not used to justify political power. I would agree. And so Marx would not be interested whatsoever in the religious beliefs of people, as they would be irrelevant to the forward movement of history in an era such as ours. If there is any equivalent whatsoever in modern times, it is that secularism justifies political power. I would not argue that therefore the forward movement of history demands a religious criticism on the irreligious state, but I would say that you should understand what his point was and apply it to your own circumstances in a suitable way, and not parrot the bourgeois intellectuals' justifications for the status quo so impotently.

That's from the introduction to Hegel's Philosophy of Right (1843) btw if you wanted to look it up.

babyfinland posted:
you cant talk people in or out of faith guys, thats why its obnoxious and stupid to act a vigilante missionary for atheism or religion. its not even the pretension or confrontational nature of the act, its just the total mishanlding of the subject matter. its like taking the tools out of someones hands and being like "let me show you how to do this" and then totally borking up

Lessons posted:
-the author of over nine thousand islam threads in lf

i posted a lot of threads about a lot of things in lf. like jews for example
anyway the way i remember it, i posted about islam mostly in response to atheists demanding justification, apology or a defense of it. i'm sure i did at some point post things that were more solicitous and i definitely trolled people about it, and that's not something i'll defend, but i don't think responding to questions or posting explanatory things constitutes zealous missionaryism
you dont remember it right
i thought the whole idea of missionaries was 2 talk ppl into religion

Goethestein posted:
you dont remember it right

ok fair enough then i was wrong to do a wrong thing i guess

I'm definitely not arguing to smash all religion. I'm trying to say that the mass of people today, at least in the west, are only religious in the sense that their religiosity justifies or amplifies their faith in liberal ideology. I re-read Matthew Chapter 6 this morning before I made that post, and talked with my lover about how different the world might be if "so-called religious" people took inspiration from the actual text of their savior rather than from their politicians and pay-per-view preachers.

As for whether or not the forward movement of the poor depends on religious critique - I can't speak for Judaism or Islam or Buddhism, but I can say that I have read and understood Matthew 6, which speaks directly to the soul of the individual. I thought briefly about making a sign which said, "You cannot serve both god and money," and then thought of how that might be immediately misinterpreted and corrupted by ideological pests. Such is the nature of spiritual teachings - if you get them you know it (true faith) and if you don't - then you don't know it but pretend that you do. I have no clue whatsoever how to spread such an easily misinterpreted message, even though the benefits of such a realization could change society.

In taoist terms - when you begin to think in terms of right in wrong then you're already caught in the trap.

babyfinland posted:

you used to brag about converting people to islam with your lf posts. i swear to god, (who doesn't exist), you two are the biggest hypocrites on planet earth.

the whole earth? i bet you could find bigger ones somewhere
what about that time maggotmaster got really mad at people for posting ironic antisemitism
[account deactivated]
yeah strangers on the internet might be talking about something interesting lmao
swish

discipline posted:
there's a world of difference between posting on the internet at strangers and butting into a private conversation between two women on the street thug lessons

theres no god.

sad but true
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
up next: gay people were born that way & other fascinating opinions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fF34Uqulmfs#t=186s

[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

isn't this really against the spirit of e.g. evangelical christianity? and maybe specifically why so many atheists, especially american atheists, are so "obnoxious" about this sort of thing, precisely because of how aggressive christians are about evangelizing?

Lessons posted:
babyfinland posted:

you used to brag about converting people to islam with your lf posts. i swear to god, (who doesn't exist), you two are the biggest hypocrites on planet earth.

whosoever is not a hypocrite has no right to speak to me

[account deactivated]

NounsareVerbs posted:
I'm definitely not arguing to smash all religion. I'm trying to say that the mass of people today, at least in the west, are only religious in the sense that their religiosity justifies or amplifies their faith in liberal ideology. I re-read Matthew Chapter 6 this morning before I made that post, and talked with my lover about how different the world might be if "so-called religious" people took inspiration from the actual text of their savior rather than from their politicians and pay-per-view preachers.

As for whether or not the forward movement of the poor depends on religious critique - I can't speak for Judaism or Islam or Buddhism, but I can say that I have read and understood Matthew 6, which speaks directly to the soul of the individual. I thought briefly about making a sign which said, "You cannot serve both god and money," and then thought of how that might be immediately misinterpreted and corrupted by ideological pests. Such is the nature of spiritual teachings - if you get them you know it (true faith) and if you don't - then you don't know it but pretend that you do. I have no clue whatsoever how to spread such an easily misinterpreted message, even though the benefits of such a realization could change society.

In taoist terms - when you begin to think in terms of right in wrong then you're already caught in the trap.

word

Lessons posted:

babyfinland posted:

u mad

just fyi people continually contact me of their own volition with an interest in islam and some of those people have since converted. i dont really think i need to apologize for that nor does it makes me a hypocrite

Edited by babyfinland ()

Impper posted:

babyfinland posted:

isn't this really against the spirit of e.g. evangelical christianity? and maybe specifically why so many atheists, especially american atheists, are so "obnoxious" about this sort of thing, precisely because of how aggressive christians are about evangelizing?

yes and both are miserable racket

islam and judaism have their own expressions of this same sort of thing (fundamentalism). i regard it all as a paper tiger, the biggest concern for me is to maintain discussion that is disciplined and rigorous enough to not narrow the discourse to only fundamentalism, which if you notice any particular strain of fundamentalism will attempt to do (hence the obsession authenticity and whatnot). so pomo imo.

Just gonna remind you guys that Islam is the light.
could start a new thread with islam.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NT9JmvH1QqE
I currently work as a paramedic. When the need arises, I must be able to provide sufficient care to any patient, or be able to refuse patient care if I deem that the area I'm in isn't safe enough. While working a few weeks ago, a lady had fallen, fractured her pelvis, broke a leg, had internal bleeding, and I had to treat her accordingly.

While treating her at her home, I was making small talk with her in an effort to ensure that she felt safe. She eventually laid back and asked if I was a church going person, to which I replied truthfully that I wasn't. This upset her so much, that she refused care from us any longer. She said,"I don't want a dirty athiest to be near me". Legally, if someone without any type of altered mental status refuses care, I cannot provide it. I asked her again, her family, and my medical director in attempts to change her mind, and I informed her of the circumstances. She still refused, so I had to get her to sign the proper documentation and then I left.

Shoot forward two days, and I learned that this woman had died due to internal bleeding, and cardial failure caused by the extraneous bleeding. At this moment, I feel extremely guilty because I was supposed to be caring for her. I didn't think it would be that much of a problem to her, knowing her provider at the moment wasn't a follower of religion. Now, I have to go to court for it. Her husband is attempting to sue(it won't go through since I have all the proper documents and followed proper protocols. Also, the Good Samaritan Laws help)since he thinks I'm the reason she passed.

Seriously? This is one of the reasons I think people shouldn't take on a religious belief. Not only do I have to go to court, but I feel extremely guilty this happened over a trivial matter.

TL;DR: Followed procedures, religion brought up, patient refused care, died, and now having to go to court.
lol stupid christian dies in agony because of own bigotry. lost another one to nogod!!
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Yah, LF, what I remember best about LF is BABY FINLAND getting owned all the time, yeah.
[account deactivated]
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3156337

tpaine posted:

babyfinland posted:
Yah, LF, what I remember best about LF is BABY FINLAND getting owned all the time, yeah.

do you remember the pants guy. the guy lf bought pants for

sure

what was the big deal with that again

[account deactivated]