richard dawkins - get this! - Literally Supports The EDL, And wrote That Breivik 'despite being blinded by religious faith correctly identifies a serious problem facing europe.'
dawkins supports evangelical missionaries in africa because at least theyre not gonna be muslims. someone has to civilize those monkeys and it sure as hell aint gonna be no milk drinking lizard eating bedouins

thirdplace posted:
do professional atheists in the sam hitchkins mold ever grapple with the fact that the liberal humanist values they all hold and in fact claim to be led to by atheism are all basically christian/abrahamic?

lol if you think that modern liberal humanism is espoused by abrahamism

kill all the fags, butcher and rape anyone you conquer, and make women completely subservient to men - the bible/torah/quran, irl
I think one of the reasons Buddhists are so death cultish is because they realize that the problems of reality haven't really changed since the beginning of human history. There is still racism, ideological fascism, brutal wars without end, and the exact same kinds of periphery and semi-periphery economics, only existing on different scales. One might even argue that if suffering could be quantified, the ratio of suffering by human population hasn't changed in any significant since the dawn of humanity.
if suffering were to be quantified it has certainly gone up since the dawn of humanity inasmuch as there are now about 7000 times as many people
the ratio of suffering by human population
[account deactivated]
it seems to me that suffering has to some degree transmuted in the modern era

Impper posted:
it seems to me that suffering has to some degree transmuted in the modern era

ya, same with paleolithic or axial or feudal times or whatever the fuck ... it seems like ahistorical b.s. to suggest otherwise, if ya ask me !

Atheism is obviously correct but too many young atheists foolishly conclude that there are no moral values as a result. The scourge that is postmodern relativism is the result of atheism, and that sucks. But atheism is still true and once people direct themselves constructively to the transvaluation of all values (with well-deserved respect for, but not orthodox adherence to, traditional values), and enforce these values via a culture and state, things will improve in this respect and subjective nihilism will go by the wayside.

lungfish posted:
Atheism is obviously correct but too many young atheists foolishly conclude that there are no moral values as a result. The scourge that is postmodern relativism is the result of atheism, and that sucks. But atheism is still true and once people direct themselves constructively to the transvaluation of all values (with well-deserved respect for, but not orthodox adherence to, traditional values), and enforce these values via a culture and state, things will improve in this respect and subjective nihilism will go by the wayside.

Wow wtf you communist degenerate. Look what they've done to you.. soon you'll be saying we must live free

all is dust
i meant dawkin's evolution pop sci books, i don't know a thing about his politics and don't want to b/c i'm sure they're no better thought out than those of every other arrogant aspie

tpaine posted:

thirdplace posted:
do professional atheists in the sam hitchkins mold ever grapple with the fact that the liberal humanist values they all hold and in fact claim to be led to by atheism are all basically christian/abrahamic?

really? people still think this?

i do b/c it's true, the differences goatstein talks about are important politically but totally peripheral theologically/philosophically; there are plenty of theists who have no problem ignoring them

yes those totally peripheral theological/philosophical differences like "there is no god," "jesus did not die for our sins" and "there is no afterlife"

Goethestein posted:
yes those totally peripheral theological/philosophical differences like "there is no god," "jesus did not die for our sins" and "there is no afterlife"

(ethical) values, not opinions on facts

jesus had an answer for the sociopath; so did epicurus. dawkins? not so much

[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:
reminder that socrates was an immensely ugly and smelly hipster jackass who went around telling all the annoying rich kids that they should smash democracy

he was the first marxist-leninist

cool, hope the rest follow his example

thirdplace posted:

tpaine posted:

thirdplace posted:

really? people still think this?

i do b/c it's true, the differences goatstein talks about are important politically but totally peripheral theologically/philosophically; there are plenty of theists who have no problem ignoring them

it's not though. the idea that liberal humanism is "christian" is just silly on the face of it, and is nothing more than an attempt by Christianity to claim credit for the Enlightenment.

Yeah, Christianity emphasizes kindness and justice; so does confucianism. Unlike Confucianism, Christian doctrine emphasizes a top-down model of authority (God has our loyalty automatically) and submission to the laws of even an unjust state. It is inherently counterrevolutionary.

What rinky dink special ed class did you learn about world religions in child?

Cycloneboy posted:
it's not though. the idea that liberal humanism is "christian" is just silly on the face of it, and is nothing more than an attempt by Christianity to claim credit for the Enlightenment..

It's just a matter of inertia. Western society was dominated by Christian morality for an eon. Then scientific observations made it blatantly obvious to everyone that the religious cosmology was completely incorrect. This caused them to doubt religion and the existence of God itself. They even began revising their views on morality a bit.

But their views on morality are still fundamentally the same, simply because of tradition and inertia. Indiscriminate kindness is upheld as a virtue, for instance. That is an example of Christian morality.

The most notable philosopher to point out that the democratic movement is the secular heir to Christianity was Nietzsche. What actual Christians always say is that atheists have no morality at all.

babyfinland posted:

confucianism emphasizes a bilateral relationship between governed and government: both owe loyalty to each other. christianity builds its model of authority as a top-down affair, all authority falling from God.

lungfish posted:
But their views on morality are still fundamentally the same, simply because of tradition and inertia. Indiscriminate kindness is upheld as a virtue, for instance. That is an example of Christian morality.

no, it's an example of human morality. do you think buddhists/muslims/hindus hate charity?

Cycloneboy posted:

lungfish posted:

no, it's an example of human morality. do you think buddhists/muslims/hindus hate charity?

Actually, kindness should only be given to those who deserve it, as a matter of justice. The Christian idea is a perversion of that, and a very egalitarian one.

That said, this view was very different compared to the barbarian societies which were simply ruthless and primitive, in contrast with Christians. Christian morality has been the cornerstone of Western civilization, and I say "civilization" not to refer to an area or people, but a style of society that is civilized. That it comes so "obviously" to you is exactly what I'm talking about.

Cycloneboy posted:

babyfinland posted:

confucianism emphasizes a bilateral relationship between governed and government: both owe loyalty to each other. christianity builds its model of authority as a top-down affair, all authority falling from God.

lungfish posted:
Actually, kindness should only be given to those who deserve it, as a matter of justice. The Christian idea is a perversion of that, and a very egalitarian one.

liberal humanists don't believe we should dismantle the justice system, ergo their ethics are not christian.

what is this tweedle dee tweedle dum shit hahahaha

Cycloneboy posted:

lungfish posted:

liberal humanists don't believe we should dismantle the justice system, ergo their ethics are not christian.

But they hate the justice system. They hate cops, they hate judges, they hate jails, they hate executions, they hate The Man and think everyone should get along. That's all Christian thinking. Let he who has not sinned throw the first stone. The State continues its function as a provider of justice in spite of that morality, and uses the morality itself when it is convenient (e.g. demonizing the enemy when waging war)

lungfish posted:

Cycloneboy posted:

lungfish posted:

But they hate the justice system. They hate cops, they hate judges, they hate jails, they hate executions, they hate The Man and think everyone should get along. That's all Christian thinking. Let he who has not sinned throw the first stone. The State continues its function as a provider of justice in spite of that morality, and uses the morality itself when it is convenient (e.g. demonizing the enemy when waging war)

that's because those things are constructed in a Bad Way. liberal humanists are not inherently opposed to the idea of a justice system, but instead to its present form in the United States (plenty of them love how it's done in Western Europe). it's like saying that just because you think that Chernobyl was a terrible power plant, you must oppose all nuclear power.

thirdplace posted:

Goethestein posted:

(ethical) values, not opinions on facts

jesus had an answer for the sociopath; so did epicurus. dawkins? not so much

i agree that abrahamism has similar ethical values to modern liberal humanism in the event that we ignore all the other ethical values that have nothing to do with modern ethical humanism. in this way a cooked turkey is similar to an asteroid field

the whole moral of the book of job was "don't question the system, have faith and the invisible hand will shower you in wealth"

birth of liberalism circa 2500 BCE

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
the whole moral of the book of job was "don't question the system, have faith and the invisible hand will shower you in wealth"

birth of liberalism circa 2500 BCE

i dont think job ever got showered in wealth

oops im wrong
I don't really like your interpretation. The story started with Job being faithful, wealthy, and having a good family. Then God started testing him.

Well after taking all his wealth, killing his family and leaving him sick and alone, Job broke down and asked why he was forsaken despite his faith. God criticized Job for dare questioning God and losing faith just as the test was nearing completion. Then he gave him all his shit back (well, new children, the old ones were dead). Job goes down in history as a guy who ultimately lacked faith in the face of adversity.

The strongest comparison to this story is Abraham, who God told to kill his son, Isaac. The difference is that Abraham had the faith to actually go through with it, even though God stopped him and told him it was all just a test in the end.
iirc god's explanation is that humans just don't know what it's like being a deity, how dare you judge me, then literally uses the allegory of a peasant questioning the actions of a king

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
iirc god's explanation is that humans just don't know what it's like being a deity, how dare you judge me, then literally uses the allegory of a peasant questioning the actions of a king

also he goes into a big long tirade that lists things he does/deals with that are blatantly, verifiably untrue.

God sucks imo
the story of job is about the virtue of perseverance and steadfastness you morons
When in theological history did everybody start believing that Yahweh is omnipotent because I don't think it says so in the bible and he's pretty clearly limited and surprised by things in the old testament
i'm pretty sure God is omnipotent and omniscient in Judaism and that the characterizations of him and his actions in anthropomorphic terms in the Bible expose the limitations of language and human comprehension rather than contradictions in the fundamentals of monotheism