lafargue was a total idiot and asshole

stegosaurus posted:

lafargue was a total idiot and asshole

another senseless fucking P.C. disabled/minority promotion to make the enterprise seem enlightened

[account deactivated]
i'm re-reading moby-dick

At last, passage paid, and luggage safe, we stood on board the schooner. Hoisting sail, it glided down the Acushnet river. On one side, New Bedford rose in terraces of streets, their ice-covered trees all glittering in the clear, cold air. Huge hills and mountains of casks on casks were piled upon her wharves, and side by side the world-wandering whale ships lay silent and safely moored at last; while from others came a sound of carpenters and coopers, with blended noises of fires and forges to melt the pitch, all betokening that new cruises were on the start; that one most perilous and long voyage ended, only begins a second; and a second ended, only begins a third, and so on, for ever and for aye. Such is the endlessness, yea, the intolerableness of all earthly effort.

But one cannot sustain an indifferent air concerning Fedallah. He was such a creature as civilized, domestic people in the temperate zone only see in their dreams, and that but dimly; but the like of whom now and then glide among the unchanging Asiatic communities, especially the Oriental isles to the east of the continent—those insulated, immemorial, unalterable countries, which even in these modern days still preserve much of the ghostly aboriginalness of earth's primal generations, when the memory of the first man was a distinct recollection, and all men his descendants, unknowing whence he came, eyed each other as real phantoms, and asked of the sun and the moon why they were created and to what end; when though, according to Genesis, the angels indeed consorted with the daughters of men, the devils also, add the uncanonical Rabbins, indulged in mundane amours.

this passage reminded me of zarathustra (excluding the bit about not being of this world)

It does seem to me, that herein we see the rare virtue of a strong individual vitality, and the rare virtue of thick walls, and the rare virtue of interior spaciousness. Oh, man! admire and model thyself after the whale! Do thou, too, remain warm among ice. Do thou, too, live in this world without being of it. Be cool at the equator; keep thy blood fluid at the Pole. Like the great dome of St. Peter's, and like the great whale, retain, O man! in all seasons a temperature of thine own. But how easy and how hopeless to teach these fine things! Of erections, how few are domed like St. Peter's! of creatures, how few vast as the whale!

Melville, Conrad, Nietzsche, Faulker and Palahniuk all strike me as the same stew of unreadable gonnisms and deflating, awkward prose; honestly you could replace their books with excerpts from a GBS spooky stories thread and nobody would know.
Conrad is good.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Melville, Conrad, Nietzsche, Faulker... honestly you could replace their books with excerpts from a GBS spooky stories thread and nobody would know.

come on

Edited by ArisVelouchiotis ()

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Melville, Conrad, Nietzsche, Faulker and Palahniuk all strike me as the same stew of unreadable gonnisms and deflating, awkward prose; honestly you could replace their books with excerpts from a GBS spooky stories thread and nobody would know.

hmm, yes, well, this list of major figures in the western literary canon is definitely good company for palahniuk to keep, and gbs too, and i will continue to make literary analogies using internet message boards and writers of airport fiction

[account deactivated]
i... i.. just have to say, iwc, i'm having severe doubts as to the sincerity and/or validity of your proclamation. as a well-respected poster rarely given to mendacious sentiments, i must beg you to clarify so that we may clear up this apparent disagreement.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
classic

roseweird posted:

aerdil i don't think i'm ever going to feel gullible for believing iwc really thinks something stupid. it's a pretty reliable assumption

if you ever think iwc is posting what he really thinks, your assumption is probably unreliable

i'm reading the book "paramilitarism and the assault on democracy in haiti" by jeb sprague and i'm rereading "east of eden" very slowly and i am also reading the second harry potter book in spanish

also a lot of books for school but that wasn't my decision
Moby Dick:

and to wind up with Pisces, or the Fishes, we sleep. There’s a sermon now, writ in high heaven, and the sun goes through it every year, and yet comes out of it all alive and hearty. Jollily he, aloft there, wheels through toil and trouble; and so, alow here, does jolly Stubb. Oh, jolly’s the word for aye! Adieu, Doubloon! But stop; here comes little King-Post; dodge round the try-works, now, and let’s hear what he’ll have to say. There; he’s before it; he’ll out with something presently. So, so; he’s beginning.

Mahler Symphony No. 2 Mov. 3: the number of Franciscan saints increased, iconography struggled to distinguish Anthony from the others. Because of a legend that he had once preached to the fish, this was sometimes used as his attribute. He is also often seen with a white lily stalk, representing his purity (see above). Other conventions referred to St. Anthony's visionary fervor. Thus, one attribute in use for some time was a flaming heart.

He goes to the river
And preaches to the fishes!
They clap with tails that
Gleam in the sunshine.

The carps with roe
Are all gathered here;
Their mouths agape,
They listen intently;
No sermon has ever
Pleased the fish more!

Pointy-nosed pike,
That are always fighting,
Swim up in a hurry,
To hear the saint!
And those visionaries
Who constantly fast:
The cod, I mean,
Appear for the sermon.
No sermon has ever
Pleased the cod as much.

Fine eels and sturgeons
That feast like lords,
Deign to hear,
The sermon!
Even crabs. And turtles,
Usually slowpokes,
Climb up from the bottom,
To hear the talker!
No sermon has ever
Pleased the crabs more!

Big fish and small fish,
noble3e and common,
raise their heads
like intelligent creatures,
at God's command,
to listen to the sermon.

The sermon over,
Each one wanders away
The pikes remain thieves,
The eels, big lovers;
They liked the sermon, but
They don't change their ways!

The crabs still walk backwards
The cod are still fat,
The carp are still guzzlers,
The sermon forgotten!
They all liked the sermon, but
They don't change their ways!

Edited by wasted ()

sorry blackw0lf

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

John Carpenter's Mustang19
mustang hijack

Edited by tehblackw0lf ()

[account deactivated]
putting a 1 at the end of a series of !'s for purposes of humor

Edited by MindMaster ()

MindMaster posted:

putting a 1 at the end of a series of !'s for purposes of humor

tpaine posted:

durst. durst never changes.

spacecooter posted:

i'm reading the book "paramilitarism and the assault on democracy in haiti" by jeb sprague and i'm rereading "east of eden" very slowly and i am also reading the second harry potter book in spanish

also a lot of books for school but that wasn't my decision

nice av cooter

thank you
19th century catholics on freemasons
http://deadspin.com/report-space-jam-2-starring-lebron-james-is-in-the-wor-1528299163

i'm reading the book "paramilitarism and the assault on democracy in haiti" by jeb sprague

why do you only read books which agree with opinions you already have?

you might as well read alex jones

http://www.infowars.com/paramilitary-gangs-join-un-force-in-preying-on-haitian-population/

HAITI – For several weeks, armed groups of young black men, presumably Haitian and too young to be veterans of the Haitian Armed Forces (Forces Armees d’Haiti, FAd’H) disbanded in 1995, have been parading in military fatigues through Haitian towns. Some politicians and the Haitian press have been calling these men “former soldiers.” For the sake of accuracy, let us forgo this awkward and unfounded label and call them “men” or “gangs.” These marching men claim they want to enforce respect for the national sovereignty and get their back pay. One suspects their priorities are reversed.

These gangs have been around for months, but their more public appearances immediately followed massive demonstrations on February 29 to commemorate the 2004 coup against Aristide. The march had been organized by a new party of Lavalas supporters called “Ghettos-Unis” (United Ghettos). Over 10,000 people marched through Port-au-Prince chanting:

“Yes to democracy, no to reinstatement of dictatorship!”

… and proclaiming

“Intimidations will not make us back down! We don’t need your motorcycles, give your passport instead!”

Understandably, Haitians have focused on the terrible loss of life this month, but sadly, cries of “insecurity” play into the hands of MINUSTAH, which now exists merely to continue itself as part of the growing cancer of the UN “peacekeepers” and wants, more than anything, to renew its mandate. Despite the UN’s record of rapes, child prostitution, trading of food for sex, and killings by gunfire and cholera, this organization still claims to be indispensable for safety and democracy in Haiti.

It is worthwhile to consider how the new armed gangs are supported. Their training camps have been photographed in the Haitian countryside by the western press since before Martelly’s inauguration. The sources of weapons and training may be reasonably guessed because, after all, the U.S. publicly promised to sell arms to Haiti for its presumed drug war, and France formally pledged to train Haiti’s new army (right after Haiti promised to relax its adoption policy). Both of these “friends” of Haiti also wield considerable influence in the UN. So it is hardly worthwhile to entertain some notion that MINUSTAH and the new gangs might somehow be at odds with each other. In fact they reinforce each other: the presence of MINUSTAH is proffered as the reason a “Haitian army” is needed to protect the national sovereignty, and the threat of paramilitaries is used to justify MINUSTAH’s continued stay in Haiti.

i see your downvote. have fun supporting united nations trot imperialism

that's not alex jones, dadychery is more or less a normal anti-imperialist leftist
i think you're getting downvoted because your posting continues to suck in exactly the same way as before
[account deactivated]
If those who are admitted as members are not commanded to abjure by any form of words the Catholic doctrines, this omission, so far from being adverse to the designs of the Freemasons, is more useful for their purposes. First, in this way they easily deceive the simple-minded and the heedless, and can induce a far greater number to become members. Again, as all who offer themselves are received whatever may be their form of religion, they thereby teach the great error of this age-that a regard for religion should be held as an indifferent matter, and that all religions are alike. This manner of reasoning is calculated to bring about the ruin of all forms of religion, and especially of the Catholic religion, which, as it is the only one that is true, cannot, without great injustice, be regarded as merely equal to other religions.
sorry

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

lmao
[account deactivated]
i am in love with space cooter now
Hmm, I got a PM from Maoist_Three_Se or something, entitled "!S!WCRTESTINPUT000000!E!"... sounds like a good read
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1030

"Just sayin"