sports are cool. looking forward to baseball starting up.
the winter olympics are fun
i read 50 shades cover to cover lol. it is, of course, terrible
i know a girl who's very into bdsm stuff & hates the book because it misses out a lot of important stuff (no safewords etc) + presents kinky sex as a symptom of childhood abuse you need to overcome if you're every going to be happily married + mostly i think because a bunch of frumpy housewives are muscling into her cool fetish

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

palafox posted:

elektrenai posted:

redken I immediately thought of your 'reptilian alien awkwardly stuffed into human form' description when I saw this http://i.imgur.com/1UnjPZD.jpg

life: a user's manual-
a document rigorously constructed upon sometimes opaque internal mechanisms, often consisting of page upon page of itemised list or description of interior decoration, that manages to be personal and plaintive and funny and wry instead of just an exercise in formalism.

my missus just lent me this and it's pretty great: deeply intropective without being particularly neurotic, a very human book. Also she told me that Perec used to go hang out in all the trendy left-bank intellectual establishments but instead of schmoozing or boasting would play pinball for hours upon hours and i just think that's swell

yeah it's awesome. it's a disappointment to me that most of the other oulipo authors didn't go this route. not that I don't like them, I certainly do, but in the wake of "Life" or "w" i'm not going to rush to reread "impressions of africa" or anything. His biography also has tons of little anecdotes like that about him and they're mostly endearing. That said I'm not surprised that the thought of someone not being social rings your bell

palafox posted:

palafox posted:

elektrenai posted:

redken I immediately thought of your 'reptilian alien awkwardly stuffed into human form' description when I saw this http://i.imgur.com/1UnjPZD.jpg

life: a user's manual-
a document rigorously constructed upon sometimes opaque internal mechanisms, often consisting of page upon page of itemised list or description of interior decoration, that manages to be personal and plaintive and funny and wry instead of just an exercise in formalism.

my missus just lent me this and it's pretty great: deeply intropective without being particularly neurotic, a very human book. Also she told me that Perec used to go hang out in all the trendy left-bank intellectual establishments but instead of schmoozing or boasting would play pinball for hours upon hours and i just think that's swell

yeah it's awesome. it's a disappointment to me that most of the other oulipo authors didn't go this route. not that I don't like them, I certainly do, but in the wake of "Life" or "w" i'm not going to rush to reread "impressions of africa" or anything. His biography also has tons of little anecdotes like that about him and they're mostly endearing. That said I'm not surprised that the thought of someone not being social rings your bell

point taken but can you think of any great works of literature that are written by people who are socially open, at ease and draw pleasure from it?

well, I like lord byron but he's not for everybody
fuck and destroy by john christy
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

i know a girl who's very into bdsm stuff & hates the book because it misses out a lot of important stuff (no safewords etc) + presents kinky sex as a symptom of childhood abuse you need to overcome if you're every going to be happily married + mostly i think because a bunch of frumpy housewives are muscling into her cool fetish

that's true, i can definitely see myself physically oppressed by a bunch of frumpy muscular fetish housewives

deadken posted:

i know a girl who's very into bdsm stuff & hates the book because it misses out a lot of important stuff (no safewords etc)

well maybe it's the books lack of such prudish victorian sensibilites that makes it so endearing

there's a reason those mills and boons novels aren't like 'he tore off her bodice and gazed upon her breasts with unabashed lush...

'now' he whispered into her ear...'now....let's negotiate consent and establish a safeword'

deadken posted:

no joke but the critique of bdsm in this is great

[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

lol what critique

Soldier guilty in rape, burning of Iraqi girl is found hanged

deadken posted:

i know a girl who's very into bdsm stuff & hates the book because it misses out a lot of important stuff (no safewords etc)

well maybe it's the books lack of such prudish victorian sensibilites that makes it so endearing

there's a reason those mills and boons novels aren't like 'he tore off her bodice and gazed upon her breasts with unabashed lush...

'now' he whispered into her ear...'now....let's negotiate consent and establish a safeword'

sure Except in the book the dude literally has her sign a contract in which she assents to the use of nipple clamps and electric shocks delivered to the anus and so on, so not establishing a safeword is a pretty glaring omission

[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

deadken posted:

lol what critique

'all this gimmickry and equipment is a crutch for emotionally broken, alienated and often narcissistic nerds. it is substituting technology for intimacy and also lots of nerds here'

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

deadken posted:

lol what critique

'all this gimmickry and equipment is a crutch for emotionally broken, alienated and often narcissistic nerds. it is substituting technology for intimacy and also lots of nerds here'

"i'm at mcdonalds bro, there sure are a lot of fat people here" - A Critique

deadken posted:

i read 50 shades cover to cover lol. it is, of course, terrible

go write an article about how it's actually really really good for abstruse deleuzean reasons

deadken posted:

deadken posted:

sure Except in the book the dude literally has her sign a contract in which she assents to the use of nipple clamps and electric shocks delivered to the anus and so on, so not establishing a safeword is a pretty glaring omission

Well I do think erotica should have some aspect of believability, I'm going to ask Lykorgouros to borrow his WestLaw password to see if such a contract would be legally binding.

i, too, read twilight and fifty shades of grey in order to critique them. this is definitely an important and worthwhile activity

roseweird posted:

the past 2 pages of this thread mademe wwant to vomit

well a forum for depressed addicts and nihilists can't be perfect.

deadken posted:

nah i like deleuze but heraclitus is more important

more important how? i admittedly dont know a lot about why people care about Hera "Big Clit" Clitus, so im actually curious about what role he plays today

Bataille posted:

Without a profound complicity with natural forces such as violent death, gushing blood, sudden catastrophes and the horrible cries of pain that accompany them, terrifying ruptures of what had seemed to be immutable, the fall into stinking filth of what had been elevated — without a sadistic understanding of an incontestably thundering and torrential nature, there could be no revolutionaries, there could only be a revolting utopian sentimentality.

c_man posted:

deadken posted:

nah i like deleuze but heraclitus is more important

more important how? i admittedly dont know a lot about why people care about Hera "Big Clit" Clitus, so im actually curious about what role he plays today

iirc hegel said there wasn't a line in his philosophy that wasn't already contained in heraclitus

deadken posted:

is this laurie penny lol

deadken posted:

iirc hegel said there wasn't a line in his philosophy that wasn't already contained in heraclitus

i can kinda see that (the whole unity of opposites thing i guess?) but isnt that a really strange thing to say about a philosopher whose work we have only vague fragments of?

he was exaggerating but heraclitus invented the idea which became dialectics, he was the first to identify inconsistency as a part of the world rather than merely a mistaken appearance of a fundamentally sound and wholesome world
i see, so "more important" in the sense in which aristotle's book on comedy is more important than bergson's
well its the thought itself which is important and not really heraclitus himself who said a lot of weird crap too

its not hip to say here i think but i still think zizek is a groundbreaking philosopher
the more i read people like freud and althusser the more i realize that most of what zizek says is just straight from people like them, maybe with a few additions. not in a bad way, i just mean that a lot of stuff i thought was smart that he said was older stuff that he expects his readers to know was from earlier people. i'm going to read all the rest of his books eventually though because they've got some nuggets of wisdom.
yeah he mostly combines other thinkers and novelists (particularly chesterton, if you read the man who was thursday it's basically like reading zizek in novel form) but the way he combines them just has a certain effect, and i wouldnt have understood those authors in the same way if id read them in isolation.
i mean isn't his basic project more or less finding common ground between hegel and lacan where the actual productive element that he brings is working out a way to make that work? i get a real strong impression that the biggest thing he brings to the table is a sort of digestion of a bunch of stuff that came before into a more or less nutritious slurry
zizerk is dope as hell im reading hte regnerative agriculture thread
i agree with everyone that you should never ever read a book where you think the author might disagree with you about something it will fuck up your colon and give you a bunch of green splatty diarrheas
just yesterday i saw someone reading that execrable Francois de Woppe mega essay about medieval slatterns sine non qua the help messages in Civilization II. Slapped that shit on the pavement before he burned himself and I still can't handle all the D i got slipped for saving his brain like that
pussy riot got beat up by cossacks so now im reading about cossacks on wikipedia

also im reading The Right To Be Lazy by Lafargue