Textured Lettuce Protein

cars posted:

The post modem is like, I brought up TLP because people were discussing someone open about being a huge TLP freak, and then someone asked who he was so I explained him in a way that made my opinion pretty clear. You responded with a personal attack, and I allowed as how I hadn’t planned on ragging on other posters. You responded with another, passive-aggressive personal attack, and I said I didn’t hold liking TLP against you. You finally responded with substance, mixed with some more pass-agg stuff, and when I responded to the substance, you asked me what was the point of discussing stuff you brought up yourself. I don’t really see the point in continuing that way.

Then apologize and admit defeat

the twitter toxicity in this thread has reached dangerous levels.... abandon thread
The twitter thread is hashtag cancelled

Takashi Murakami posted:

Kanye’s record label contacted me and said that he really liked a sculpture of mine – a woman with huge breasts. They asked if he could come to see it. It just so happened to that the sculpture had just returned to the studio for repair. I said sure. Kanye came into the studio and stared at the sculpture, completely without words, just silently looking at it. I think he was moved by it, because he took hundreds of pictures with his digital camera.

ok but like, why is unusually skinny goku cumming
Good question.

https://www.theartstory.org/movement-superflat-artworks.htm posted:

My Lonesome Cowboy (1998)
Artist: Takashi Murakami

Artwork description & Analysis:
This sculpture, depicting an anime figure, shows a life-sized naked boy masturbating, as his white semen in stylized spirals, swirls around him like a lasso, forming a jagged shape above his head that is both oddly weaponized and plane-like. The boy has the wide-eyed, gleeful gaze and characteristic spiky hair of an anime character. In the late 1990s, what some art historians have called Murakami's "bodily fluids" stage, he depicted highly sexualized otaku figures, like this one, as well as his Hiropon (1997) which depicts a woman with oversized breasts that spray a stream of milk encircling her figure.

The work's exagerration of sexual features evokes earlier shunga, or erotic images, from ukiyo-e, which often depicted exagerrated genitalia. Shunga's depictions emphasized the erotic encounter, whereas Murakami's figures are isolate and static, suggesting sexual prowess void of human connection. The art critic Roberta Smith wrote that Murakami's figures have, "the odd thrill of seeing a fictional cartoon, which normally inhabits a television screen, made three-dimensional and life size." This thrill of the fictional made real, along with the erasure of boundaries between otaku figurines and art world sculpture or between sexual imagery and children's cartoons, was both shocking and innovative in contemporary art and launched the artist's global career.

The title of the sculpture refers to Andy Warhol's film, Lonesome Cowboys (1968), and thus posits it as a wink to Pop art, an earlier movement which also drew inspiration from popular and commercial culture.

The work has become among the most famous works by the artist, due to its $15 million sale price at a 2008 art auction*. The sale of the work was fiercely condemned in Japan, and critics remain divided. Art critic Grace McQuilten said the piece represented "commodity fetishism."

Oil, acrylic, fiberglass, and iron - Private collection

* I mean it was $13.5 + fees but who's counting.

ART THEORY CONTAINMENT AREA: DO NOT READ THIS THREAD
legit love hentai. have a fake twitter and insta
just to look at nice illustrations beautiful
naked blue hair girls. Illustations of things
always better than real things
my favourite contemporary japanese artist is murakami's protoge, Mr., who is highly celebrated for his art that is just straight-up pedophile shit
At least Warhol had a critical message about consumer culture. This guy just straight up makes hentai statues and art critics are like 'wow. Makes you think'

Belphegor posted:

'wow. Makes you thi wank'

Belphegor posted:

At least Warhol had a critical message about consumer culture. This guy just straight up makes hentai statues and art critics are like 'wow. Makes you think'

it seems like a pretty good racket honestly

lo posted:

Belphegor posted:

it seems like a pretty good racket honestly

it's definitely a good racket but i do think there is something there in terms of his 'superflat' babble. he does have something to say about the peversely infantile nature of a postwar japanese culture traumatised by both its own crimes and the bomb, and the combination of regression into prepubescent cultural obsessions and the rise of japanese-style capitalism. but also tiddys amirite

i didn't know Murakami literally used gold/platinum leaf in much of his stuff. made me lol but in a very sad way

toutvabien posted:

made me lol but in a very sad way

catchphrase

reza negarestani is on twitter now
didnt take long to work that out

the only thing wrong with his gut instinct is he didnt listen to it and gtfo of twitter immediately
[account deactivated]
why would they anger their gods

toyotathon posted:

is there a compilation of white twitter getting angry at lin manuel miranda, neil degrasse tyson, jomny sun, etc

idk but golden lion tamarin is making a career of it

https://theoutline.com/post/6550/gmorning-gnight-little-pep-talks-for-me-you-jonny-sun-lin-manuel-miranda-review?zd=1&zi=g7ux7wlb

[account deactivated]
if israel in boston is so upset at a guy for getting RT'd by Ali what would they do when they learn he's been to my house

Horselord posted:

if israel in boston is so upset at a guy for getting RT'd by Ali what would they do when they learn he's been to my house

update on mahmoud's following list on twitter

[account deactivated]
e: wrong thread

laughable cosa nostra
studying the fuck out of some mafia's
Nice. glad to know that time when I binge watched all of the Sopranos was actually pretty revolutionary of me
For next month's study group reading may I humbly suggest my dissertation on the Dialectics of Gabagool
i had to crank the volume all the way up to hear him and just realised he missed the perfect opportunity for a jump scare troll