"activities are similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical weapons attack"

I;ve never heard anything about any preparations ever being detected??
it's just code for "we're preparing to do another chemical weapon attack"
could this be it, the administration so inept and reviled that even centrists smell the bullshit as it's being cooked up?

I am ṯ̨͎̯e̛̘̞m̭̀p͉͇̠̝t͇͖̳̜̙ed̡̦̮͎̬ to quote ̵t͡he ͏grea͠t̀ L̨eon͘ard͡ Cohe͠n:̶ ‘͚̘͎̦̱I̛̤̣ ̱a̢̖̟m̧ ̶g̺̬͎̠̬ui͎͉̠̺̣͍̤ḓ̝̞͓̼̯ḛ̢̗̯̤͎̪ͅd͙͕̜ ̰̳͓͔̪͕͎͟b̘̘̙̙̜̘̻y ̵̟̫͔͎̱̱th̨̤̺̮̘͖̦e ̜͍͘b̛͇̯͓̫̺̹̤̠͙e̗̰̞̼͇̟͘͝a̺̜u̻̱̤̙͞͝ţ͖̳̠̺͕̙͇͇̤͠y̷̼̣̖̺͕̹͖̘͢͞ ҉̶̟͇̖̱͉o҉̴̛̙̼̼̦͕̝̤̟f͔̮͚̱̙̟͉͡͡ ͇̜̖̱̙o̴̶̧͎̰̪̦̮̤̟̐͐ͤ͐̅̉ͣu̵͕̦͍̺̫̖͑̓r̛͙͈͙̺̮̣̪̾̓ͤ̽ͤͥ̕ ̧̫̠͚̲͚͛̌̆ͣ͞w̟̠̦̼͇̱̗̓̒̅̿͌ͮ̋͝ę̣̘̞̉ͪͯͭͫ͜ͅa̷͚̭̜̫̺̰͖̦̒ͫ͟p͖͇͇̝̓́͗o͖̓̎̅͞n̦͔̘͖͙̩͊̉ͤ̓̇̽͊̚͟s̶̘̯͚̙̮͆̀͆̑ͨ̚͘͘.̶̸̘̙̗̙̟̠̣̋̑ͣ̈’̷̵̨̟͍͉̹̱͔̲̓̿͗̇̚

[account deactivated]

ilmdge posted:

I;ve never heard anything about any preparations ever being detected??

well you see we didn't detect the Preparations because they seemed like business as usual that in no way suggested the Syrian government ever prepared or used chemical weapons, so we had to redefine "business as usual that in no way suggests the Syrian government is preparing to use chemical weapons" as a sign that the Syrian government is definitely about to use chemical weapons

glomper_stomper posted:

no, they love it. they'll keep loving it even if it's a fucking disaster like baghdad or some weak shit like the bombing in april, which apparently did nothing whatsoever. like 4 casualties while they rack up 500 child deaths per day in the countryside

the centrists don't need a stable pretense or even a successful war. just the appearance of global leadership

yeah... imo the CENTCOM statement about "we don't know what the White House was talking about" was just another opportunity taken by the deep state to shove someone they'd like to replace with a well-behaved Clinton or Republican foreign policy equivalent

there's an article, or maybe even a whole book, to be written about how Hillary Clinton moved herself from the slightly less preferred to the slightly more preferred option for the alphabet boys & generals through the tactic of murdering as many people abroad per hour as humanly possible
This is 2 days after pentagon stated they were happy for Syria to remove isis
http://www.moonofalabama.org/2017/06/syria-the-us-concedes-defeat-of-its-south-east-syria-plans.html

The main front where Syrian army is not advancing is near occupied Golan, where Israel is directly intervening on behalf of alqaeda 3 days in a row.

The national security council members pushing for war with 'Iran' in Syria could be using Israeli 'evidence'

Also given that Obama considers not invading Syria his 'greatest achievement' and he & kerry know what's going on (and it was their deal that removed the Syrian chemical weapons that trump claims are being used) would be good of him to say something

Hersh mentions at the end he had a 'heck of a time getting published'

http://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2017-06-26/hershs-new-syria-revelations-hidden-from-view/

For all these reasons, Hersh has found himself increasingly friendless. The New Yorker refused to publish his Syria investigations. Instead, he had to cross the Atlantic to find a home at the prestigious but far less prominent London Review of Books.

Hersh’s new investigation was paid for by the London Review of Books, which declined to publish it. This is almost as disturbing as the events in question.

What is emerging is a media blackout so strong that even the London Review of Books is running scared. Instead, Hersh’s story appeared yesterday in a German publication, Welt am Sonntag. Welt is an award-winning newspaper, no less serious than the New Yorker or the LRB. But significantly Hersh is being forced to publish ever further from the centres of power whose misinformation his investigations are challenging.

Imagine how effective Woodward and Bernstein would have been in bringing down Richard Nixon had they been able to publish their Watergate investigations only in the French media. That is the situation we have reached now with Hersh’s efforts to scrutinise the west’s self-serving claims about Syria.

Edited by xipe ()

i like how the guardian's report on the latest US threat comes with a white helmets propaganda photo as the header image and 0 mentions of the hersh article that clearly prompted this latest round of chest beating https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/27/assad-further-chemical-weapons-attack-syria-white-house-claims
The White Helmets were recently on video helping behead prisoners... This was days after they sent a message of 'solidarity' and thanks to the London fire brigade following grenfell.

The London fire brigade were likely forced to train white helmets among other groups in revenue generating schemes devised by former London mayor Boris Johnson, who set off £100million in cuts to London fire service.
Now as British foreign minister he's overseeing £100million in funding for White helmets from the UK national security budget.
The white Helmets murdered Syrian fire fighters and stole their equipment when they took over with their 'service' in alqaeda and isis controlled territory.

Channel4 news gave prominent promotion of the white helmet 'solidarity' message among their grenfell coverage, but nothing else here.

Edited by xipe ()

you'd be forgiven for thinking at this point that it was actually punishable by death to publish anything but glowing praise for the white helmets in western press
[account deactivated]
which one?

if the white helmets, its a mix of different happenings recently

e: added sources to that post

Edited by xipe ()

Could someone please provide a summary or explanataion of why so many consider Hersh's piece on Khan Sheikhoun to be unreliable. The self proclaimed experts and imperialists in the dnd thread just handwave it away as a deluded conspiracy theory of a senile crazy man without offering any explanation as to why it should be disregarded. tia

thatfatkid posted:

Could someone please provide a summary or explanataion of why so many consider Hersh's piece on Khan Sheikhoun to be unreliable.

summary: "ideology"

elaboration: even if every claim were sourced publicly to the point that you could fire and prosecute everyone involved, they would seek out ways to discredit those sources as cranks, kooks, malcontents, and other people who have some kind of vested interest in telling lies. this is because the kinds of people you're describing have vested interests in either:

- empire
- goon hive mind approval
- moralism that allows idealist liberals to denounce everyone equally and safely, in a way that nevertheless invariably supports the imperial narrative -- i.e., the classic "neither washington nor moscow (but actually washington)"
- emotional investment in being right about what they believe, perhaps extending to fear of ego death and the loss of identity built on the sandy foundation of their own affected intellectualism

(also a lot of them are just plain racist and earnestly believe that syria should have stayed a colony and will presently benefit from the civilized West rebooting the whole country in its own preferred template)

moreover, even if every source proved unimpeachable and could provide irrefutable documentary evidence, they still would dismiss or ignore it because again, a good ol' oriental despot narrative in the rich manure described above has real staying power and that feeling of cognitive dissonance is actually just a russian hacker trying to access your brain through your fillings

thatfatkid posted:

The self proclaimed experts and imperialists in the dnd thread just handwave it away as a deluded conspiracy theory of a senile crazy man without offering any explanation as to why it should be disregarded.

"it is known," etc.

plus they also have an Authority right there -- moses himself, descended from the mountain holding a pair of glowing tablets with colorful circles and lines drawn on them

and moses spake, I Have Applied Real Scrutiny To This And Did You Ever Consider That The Gas Attacks Used A Lot Of Gas? Therefore,

Edited by Constantignoble ()

Hersh started finding the wrong facts a while back so his kookiness became a point of liberal doctrine
I follow Hersh and his story on Khan Sheikhoun but what the hell is this https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article165905618/We-got-a-fuckin-problem.html
that reads like it was translated to german and then back into english or something
Someone on twitter said it read like something fabricated by Russians, which is in a naive sense true I guess, even though I'm sure it's not. I just have such a hard time believing American servicemen of any kind talk like that, not just stylistically, which as you say could partially be a translation thing, but so openly about the president and their mission and stuff.

mediumpig posted:

Someone on twitter said it read like something fabricated by Russians,

The Russians are so crafty they've masterminded a conspiracy to systematically undermine journalism just to smear the US, for reasons that appear not to make any sense but that's just more evidence of how crafty they are! Four dimensional chess! But don't worry, at the same time the Russians are so stupid and hapless they can't find someone competent at the English language to write for them in an appropriate style.

They are simultaneously brilliant secret conspirators controlling everything, and also incompetent idiot failures. Does this sound familiar to anyone??

thatfatkid posted:

Could someone please provide a summary or explanataion of why so many consider Hersh's piece on Khan Sheikhoun to be unreliable. The self proclaimed experts and imperialists in the dnd thread just handwave it away as a deluded conspiracy theory of a senile crazy man without offering any explanation as to why it should be disregarded. tia

How do you think people reacted when he uncovered My Lai and all of his other stories we now know to be true? Liberals like to think they were on the right side of history but a simple investigation of the facts shows the opposite. And in 15 years liberals will pretend they were on the right side of history on Syria just like Iraq even though that example is within living memory. The only way the truth comes out is if the US empire collapses, other than that you'll have to be satisfied with bitterly laughing at liberals. That's what this forum is for.

jiroemon1897 posted:

i love the Syrian people and hope victory comes quick but all the atrocities that have been inflicted on them pale in comparison to this brave woman's socks and sandal combo. gut-wrenching stuff

More Hersh stuff

http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/seymour-hersh-syria-bombshell

KK: Could you respond to the criticism of your article by Elliot Higgins, who alleged that open-source satellite material supposedly shows the site of the bombing was not the structure you described? (Higgins in a self-styled weapons analyst whose Bellingcat open source investigative site is funded by entities including the National Endowment for Democracy, a US government-backed NGO that has promoted regime change around the globe).

SH: He offers no facts, just insults and a lot of certitude about things about which he just does not know, or seems not to, e.g. that the U.S. and other foreign military (have) the most sophisticated satellite data to do bomb damage assessments, and would never think of relying on commercial satellites. They fly over Khan Shaykhun, so I have been told, something like every five days and their images actually provide very little reliable data about bomb damage. Buildings that look intact from on high with intact roofs may have no living space in them… the difference between post-strike damage photos from a military satellite or drone and the available commercial stuff is day and night.

https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article165906452/The-Fog-of-War.html

As has been the case so often in his professional life, Hersh was harshly criticized for his most recent stories about Syria, about Obama, and about bin Laden. Many say he goes too far and relies too heavily on anonymous sources. Crucially, though, no source who is actively working for a government can reveal classified information “on the record” without incurring considerable personal risk. That holds true in Germany as well.

As has always been his practice, Hersh has told Welt am Sonntag the identities of all the sources he quotes anonymously in his story about Trump's retaliatory strike against Syria. The paper was thus able to speak independently to the central source in the U.S.

Hersh had also offered the article to the London Review of Books. The editors accepted it, paid for it, and prepared a fact checked article for publication, but decided against doing so, as they told Hersh, because of concerns that the magazine would vulnerable to criticism for seeming to take the view of the Syrian and Russian governments when it came to the April 4th bombing in Khan Sheikhoun. Hersh had met a few times with Stefan Aust when he was editor of Der Spiegel and followed his career. According to Hersh, he knew Aust to be someone who was unafraid of the consequences of publishing stories that, when verified and checked, he knew to be true. It was a natural move to send the story, as edited, to him.

It was a situation that Seymour Hersh had experienced before. At the very beginning of his career, no publication wanted to print his My Lai story either.

What exactly happened in western Syria on April 4, 2017, when Khan Sheikhoun was bombed, is still not entirely clear. The events continue to be obscured by the thick fog of war.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/columns/imperialcity/12025/

Why do journalists use anonymous sources?
Because people who are willing to tell reporters interesting things—that is, confidential or disturbing information or opinions—are usually disinclined to appear to be the candid plain talkers or snitches or whistle-blowers or gossips or backstabbers they are.

Whoa! That’s quite a gamut of motives and moral postures.
Exactly. Anonymous sources could be graphed on a bell curve running from dime-dropping scumbags to heroes, with the vast majority (probably including W. Mark Felt and Newsweek’s source) somewhere in the big, fat middle. Such a graph would almost certainly be an asymmetrical bell curve, however, with a skew (probably including Cooper’s and Miller’s sources) toward the sleazy end of the axis.

So because anonymity makes it easier for sources to blab, it makes it easier for reporters to do their jobs?
Yes. And in lots of cases makes it possible to do their jobs.

Does anyone seriously propose a ban on anonymous sources?
“Editors or news directors who permit their use,” Al Neuharth, the 81-year-old former chairman of the Gannett newspapers, recently wrote in USA Today, a paper he created, “are violating their trust.” In the last year, USA Today has reduced its use of unnamed sources to an average of fewer than one a day. If you want a sense of how banning anonymous sources might transform journalism, USA Today provides a pretty good preview. As The New Yorker’s David Remnick said when I asked him about his reporter Seymour Hersh’s use of anonymous sources, “How many national-security stories has USA Today broken?”

But anonymity makes it easier for sources to lie, doesn’t it?
There are ten or a hundred times as many on-the-record lies as unattributed lies in the press every day.

Edited by Constantignoble ()

that last one - by god do i hate this now-widely-accepted "explainer" format. it's a guaranteed way to impart as little information as possible in the smarmiest way possible. did any actual person ask them what the deal is with anonymous sources? of course not, but because journalists have, in their own minds, elevated themselves to unprecedented levels of knowledge gatekeeping, they seem honestly to believe the average reader to actually be fucking stupid enough to both need and want this drivel
Hersh is one of the best people when it comes to using anonymous sources from across the spectrum that writer cites and making clear what their interests are and how their stories have been corroborated if he quotes them. the bin Laden "burial at sea" story is a good example. while otoh the NYT and the Post and so on just star fuck anything a "senior government official" says.
so i forget exactly when it started, probably a year or two ago, but at some point i noticed that western news media switched from quoting one-man london-based SOHR to quoting one-man london-based SNHR. i interpreted this switch to indicate that despite rami abdulrahman's stated affinity for the terrorists, his numbers just weren't sensational enough. enter fadel abdul ghani, who's not afraid to strain credibility but also recognizes that there's a sucker born every minute and he's got the most powerful institutions in the world at his back.

as a result, most of the charts you'll come across now will have this rough L-shape to them (perhaps occasionally rotated 90 degrees clockwise for aesthetic variety) http://sn4hr.org/wp-content/uploads/tollen/death-toll-en.jpg

anyway i'd like to start accumulating closer looks at this org, with the aim of synthesizing a succinct criticism.

this thread points to some forthright biases laid out in the org's own words:

two reddit threads, both by the same author, one more general and the other more specific:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/3v6blv/the_snhr_and_its_methodology/
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5txg8v/snhr_and_their_methodology_a_small_note_with_big/

the first discusses a lack of verification, unjustifiable interpretations of the presented data, lack of weighting, etc. second one in particular points to a small but arguably important concrete example of omission, the sort of thing from which one could extrapolate.

that's all I've found so far, but I've only just started looking. has anyone else come across anything scrutinizing or critiquing this stuff?
Snhr got a fancy Web redesign that corresponded with them becoming the primary media source.

This is what they used to look like; their contact page was just a UK mobile phone

https://web.archive.org/web/20140312224033/http://sn4hr.org

They keep their methodology secret and simply repeat the claim that "Assad has killed 90% of civilians in the civil war".

SOHR does something similar but says 50% and sometimes makes verifiable claims.

Both of them are admitting that the US is killing the most Syrians at the moment, so I doubt they are getting any media coverage at all.

Once isis is gone the Syrian gov will hopefully kick alqaeda out of some cities they are infesting in western Syria, I guess that's the next time we'll hear from these jokers.

Imo it would be an smart for BRICS to set up an Amnesty or Human Rights Watch of their own, with maybe a 'bodycount' subdivision like what SOHR/SNHR perform, to counter the lies and propaganda of the aforementioned.

Myself I was following the liberation of aleppo closely and I saw that snhr/sohr would constantly throw out numbers of civilians killed by Russia and Syria to go with white helmet videos, but would always ignore civilians killed by alqaeda (sohr would sometimes reluctantly acknowledge).

Snhr says that isis have killed 1000 civilians (in Syria) but they have filmed themselves massacring 1700 people in one go.
There are estimated mass graves of 10,000 5,000 etc in different parts of Syria and Syria-iraq border that are going to be uncovered soon.

So they are liars, but unfortunately I don't think there is any alternative group calling them out so they get away with it

xipe posted:

Imo it would be an smart for BRICS to set up an Amnesty or Human Rights Watch of their own, with maybe a 'bodycount' subdivision like what SOHR/SNHR perform, to counter the lies and propaganda of the aforementioned.

considering how important these propaganda organs are to the modern humanitarian intervention MO, it's concerning that we can't already point to such a thing

fuck it, what's the BRICS email address, i'll suggest it to them

xipe posted:

Snhr says that isis have killed 1000 civilians (in Syria) but they have filmed themselves massacring 1700 people in one go.

1700 in Syria in particular? the biggest ISIS massacres, like Sinjar or Camp Speicher, tend to be in Iraq, which i take as the other reason ISIS winds up looking like a hippie commune in snhr's figures

the propaganda hand-off between SOHR and SNHR has been interesting to watch, along with the apparent substantial upgrade in back-end funding SNHR has received. like watching someone move from iced coffee to ice

Constantignoble posted:

fuck it, what's the BRICS email address, i'll suggest it to them

each BRICS country has its own email address in the format {country}@brics.gov. e.g. brazil@brics.gov

speaking of emails i wonder if its donaldtrump@whitehouse.gov or donaldjtrump@whitehouse.gov, got a few ideas to suggest myself
you should ask him, he's a pretty friendly guy.

Constantignoble posted:

considering how important these propaganda organs are to the modern humanitarian intervention MO, it's concerning that we can't already point to such a thing

this, but more: http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/China-Releases-Human-Rights-Report-on-US-Terrible-Problems-20170309-0002.html

telesur itself presents a multinational model
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telesur_(TV_channel)

europe and america are not only plundering the world but are fast themselves becoming fascist failed states despite that, so i think such a project would be helpful to their citizens - probably would get as much crowdfunding as the western pro-war humanitarian orgs say they get

that being said: maybe this would help counter 'humanitarian' wars of gentle democrats like libya & syria, but trump doesnt seem to bother making any justification for his wars at all

Constantignoble posted:

1700 in Syria in particular? the biggest ISIS massacres, like Sinjar or Camp Speicher, tend to be in Iraq, which i take as the other reason ISIS winds up looking like a hippie commune in snhr's figures

no, the 1700 killed in speicher is the largest massacre ISIs have filmed themselves, and that was in Iraq.
i believe the next highest of their mass murders that they themselves have filmed was several hundred, I think of surrendered (iraqi?) soldiers ... i havent checked this tho.

the estimated killings in sinjar are 10,000, which near the syrian border -- SNHR seem to know ISIS turn into harmless kittens once they move a few miles west into Syria.
the largest ISIS massacres in Syria are supposedly in Deir Ez Zor, but i dont think we will find out the truth till isis is removed (by then there will be new lies by new anonymous NGOs invented, and these claims will all be safely forgotten about)
https://www.newsdeeply.com/syria/articles/2016/04/18/36-mass-graves-uncovered-in-deir-ezzor-activists
http://acloserlookonsyria.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Massacre_of_the_Sheitat_Tribe

the first 6 months of 2017 have seen the syrian government resettle nearly 500,000 displaced people & refugees.
this is despite 'Friends of Syria' policy of sanctions depriving them of medicines, food, fuel, money, & ability to rebuilt their houses - as well as ongoing support for terrorists shelling & suicide bombing them.

http://www.unhcr.org/en-us/news/briefing/2017/6/595612454/unhcr-seeing-significant-returns-internally-displaced-amid-syrias-continuing.html

Aid agencies estimate that more than 440,000 internally displaced people have returned to their homes in Syria during the first six months of this year. In parallel, UNHCR has monitored over 31,000 Syrian refugees returning from neighbouring countries so far in 2017. Since 2015, some 260,000 refugees have spontaneously returned to Syria, primarily from Turkey into northern Syria.

The main factors influencing decisions for refugees to return self-assisted mostly to Aleppo, Hama, Homs, Damascus and to other governorates are primarily linked to seeking out family members, checking on property, and, in some cases, a real or perceived improvement in security conditions in parts of the country.
more on "chemical attacks" claims

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/ex-weapons-inspector-trumps-sarin-claims-built-on-lie/

The White House statement comes on the heels of the publication of an article by Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh in a German publication, Die Welt, which questions, among many things, the validity of the intelligence underpinning the allegations leveled at Syria regarding the events of April 4 in and around Khan Sheikhun. (In the interests of full disclosure, I had assisted Mr. Hersh in fact-checking certain aspects of his article; I was not a source of any information used in his piece.) Not surprisingly, Mr. Hersh’s article has come under attack from many circles, the most vociferous of these being a UK-based citizen activist named Eliot Higgins who, through his Bellingcat blog, has been widely cited by media outlets in the U.S. and UK as a source of information implicating the Syrian government in that alleged April chemical attack on Khan Sheikhun.

Neither Hersh nor Higgins possesses definitive proof to bolster their respective positions; the latter draws upon assertions made by supposed eyewitnesses backed up with forensic testing of materials alleged to be sourced to the scene of the attack that indicate the presence of Sarin, a deadly nerve agent, while the former relies upon anonymous sources within the U.S. military and intelligence establishments who provide a counter narrative to the official U.S. government position. What is clear, however, is that both cannot be right—either the Syrian government conducted a chemical weapons attack on Khan Sheikhun, or it didn’t. There is no middle ground.

http://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2017-06-30/medias-propaganda-war-on-syria-in-full-flow/

If you wish to understand the degree to which a supposedly free western media are constructing a world of half-truths and deceptions to manipulate their audiences, keeping us uninformed and docile, then there could hardly be a better case study than their treatment of Pulitzer prize-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh.

All of these highly competitive, for-profit, scoop-seeking media outlets separately took identical decisions: first to reject Hersh’s latest investigative report, and then to studiously ignore it once it was published in Germany last Sunday. They have continued to maintain an absolute radio silence on his revelations, even as over the past few days they have given a great deal of attention to two stories on the very issue Hersh’s investigation addresses.

These two stories, given such prominence in the western media, are clearly intended to serve as “spoilers” to his revelations, even though none of these publications have actually informed their readers of his original investigation. We are firmly in looking-glass territory.

fun to see Ritter punking the u.s. again... but it would have been nice if either of those guys had come out and said what Ames and Levine have been drilling, that "highly competitive" Brown Moses/Bellingcat is openly, publicly funded as a propaganda wing of the U.S. government
Do you think eliot Higgins has risen to his level of incompetency or will he fail further upwards?

I was sure the White Helmets were discredited and would be dropped before they won the Oscar, and Bana the adorable 7 year old who reads out neocon scripts is the 'source' on Syria for CNN, the UN etc

Brown Moses 'reports' have been the basis of US State policy for years so I'd guess they and the media, expert etc circles who are so invested will award and promote him as a genius.

Which is crazy... But I hope that these institutions who have gone 'all in' on a doomed project will mean that they will fail badly and fall hard soon