Barbarossa posted:

IMO this is one of the best places on the internet. I bring one gift with me, woody guthrie singing the praises of miss Pavlichenko. i dont have to pay for it so im being pretty clever on this tbh but the sentiment is still there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHKjOl9ocR0

man alive woody guthrie was a thirsty creep

The world cup started with Russia once again stomping the crap out of a bunch of Saudis sent to someone else's country
That game was much more entertaining than it should have been. Saudi played like shit as always but Russia styled on them harder than I expected and the last goal was perfect
way back when I saw the Zidane headbutt live at a sports bar and feel like I can safely ignore "football," it's over, complete, its telos is achieved, we can all stop pretending it's an entertaining sport to watch.

gonna watch the first canadian football season game of the Riders with My Dad this saturday. i fear they are going to fucking suck this season. saskatchewan fans are doomed to a hard lot in life.
Football is a very good sport to watch, unlike gridiron, which is like rugby (a terrible sport in its own right) but with teams of gundam cosplayers.
sports

Petrol posted:

Football is a very good sport to watch, unlike gridiron, which is like rugby (a terrible sport in its own right) but with teams of gundam cosplayers.

see now that sounds amazing. can you imagine, feeble little twig anime nerds encrusted in shells of cardboard and pvc slamming into each other as hard as they can. it would be incredible

[account deactivated]
since we can't delete posts, might as well link an instant classic before that gets taken down

Edited by slipdisco ()

i watched this film called "Kampuchea: Death and Rebirth" which you can find on vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/118889625
basically this was made by an east german film crew who travelled to cambodia shortly after the founding of the people's republic of kampuchea. as you might expect, it's very straightforwardly putting forward the vietnamese/prk line of the pol pot faction of the cpk(here referred to as the pol pot/ ieng sary clique) as right opportunists who subverted and betrayed the cambodian revolution. it's also quite anti chinese at points(theres one scene that seems to imply that pol pot was just a chinese puppet for example), which isn't too surprising given the context, but I thought it was interesting that they don't go as far as claiming that pol pot was a maoist, which afaik some soviet or soviet aligned stuff about DK does do. to me the most interesting parts were when they have prk guys who were active in resistance against pol pot talking. there's also one survivor they interview who had a wife and family in the ddr which i thought was interesting. i wouldn't really recommend this as your first stop for learning about cambodia though since it's fairly straightforwardly a propaganda film with the specific purpose of arguing against the pol pot line of 'vietnamese imperialism', and all the cold war era stuff on this topic is really hard to navigate even if you're familiar with the various biases involved.
[account deactivated]
i went to go see it yesterday but the theatre was sold out
which is great
but i hope they keep showing it long enough for me to get another chance to see it
interesting. the ads made it look like goofy bullshit, i think the "get out on acid" pull quote was a mistake. but now im intrigued. word of mouth always wins the day
even if its goofy bullshit im more willing to put up with boots riley's goofy bullshit than most other folks'
i didnt even click thats who it was! well yeah i really want to see it now

Edited by beeturia ()

cosme posted:

how is this even real

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Petrol posted:

As you all know by now i take pleasure in watching the most terrible garbage and so it is that i have started watching The Looming Tower, the hulu melodrama about how petty rivalry between FBI and CIA led to 9/11. Partway through episode 2 now and i doubt the series will top this moment, when slow motion footage of a al qaeda guy escaping a bombing, a fbi agent on the streets of london, and another fbi guy fucking his mistress are cut to a dubstep track with extremely generic arabic samples

This fucking show, I kept yelling at the screen for these idiots to get their shit together and stop 9/11 but then at the end 9/11 happened. What the fuck? MOrons.

Sorry to bother you

ilmdge posted:

Sorry to bother you

i just watched this. there are many themes that will be recognizable to folks who have read settlers

well night-vision certainly anyway
i watched all of 'berlin babylon' because i miss boardwalk empire and anything with a gritty 1920s setting, jazz music and guns will have me totally enthralled. anyway they introduce some communists early on but to make sure you understand they're supposed to be sympathetic characters they make it very clear that they hate stalin but looooove trotsky. it was fine though
i've been watching these vids of pakistani-indian border guard ceremonies and now i think borders are "heckin cute" and "freakin awesome"
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the new Godzilla movie has a million monsters in it that aren't Godzilla and is two and a half hours long, which means by the numbers that it's going to suck even more than the last one. They probably also listened to the criticism from the "fans" and so it'll spend like fifteen minutes on the human characters' story or any thematic follow-through and will otherwise be a bunch of well-lit scenes of Godzilla doing judo flips over buildings, instead of anything that in any way learns from why the original movie is the only good one in the series to date, that is, it's a fucked-up horror movie/romantic tragedy about how fascism and the United States turn everything they touch into poison, rot and despair
[account deactivated]
i meant the 2014 gaijin one. Shin godzilla's okay except Godzilla dies before he can turn into communism.
SPOILERS!! GOSH
shin godzilla was win, 2014 was win, basically all godzillas are win, even the bad ones
early morning blade 2

lo posted:

shin godzilla was win, 2014 was win, basically all godzillas are win, even the bad ones

As a young child with no perspective on movies or how to run the birthday/holiday scam on my extended family, I think I ended up with every single Godzilla movie that had been released on VHS outside of Japan, and almost every single one was terrible. Though maybe I just felt that way because the foreign-market cuts removed a bunch of graphic sex scenes, there's really no way to know.

cars posted:

every single Godzilla movie that had been released on VHS outside of Japan, and almost every single one was terrible.

until i saw shin godzilla i had only ever seen bits of godzilla films and the japanese original which was Good. since i loved shin godzilla so much i resolved to see the others, with no particular preference. so ive just been seeing them as they come across my path and i gotta say the dubbed US/international versions of ones from the 90s are some of the worst shit i have ever watched, except for maybe the one from the early 2000s which i will need to self medicate for years to forget. so i feel your pain. having said that i still reckon any of the yank godzilla flicks are worse than the very worst japanese one, dubbed or otherwise

footnote: i gather the US release of shin godzilla includes a dub which i am morbidly curious about but also hope never to see. thankfully the local release down my way eschewed that in favour of including the best behind the scenes extras from the japanese release.

also i am a huge nerd

the first ones i saw were part of the 60s and 70s in-color era that the MST3K godzilla episodes are from, because for some reason the same five or six of them were available at every chain video store back then. so when i finally started catching up to the ones from the 80s and 90s, they confused me. in hindsight though, rebooting the series as a live-action anime about a team of government power rangers and their anti-godzilla laser plane was probably an improvement.