tears posted:

early morning blade 2

a good tip is to start doing the moves alongside with the main character, blade.

shameful to assume i didnt
talk of non-Pulgasari kaiju in LF....? smdh
in the full episode theres a bit after the credits where he's waving a knife at the camera screaming about sandn***ers. also nathan fielder got one of the writer & director credits this time as well as consulting producer. i give this series 5 bags of popcorn and signed waterboard

toutvabien posted:

talk of non-Pulgasari kaiju in LF....? smdh

Fake news! We have always discussed Godzilla as a product of consciousness reflecting a stage preceding the transformation of material relations that made Pulgasari possible. Investigation may be likened to the long months of pregnancy, and solving a problem to the day of birth.

i had a dream rhe rhizzone did a parody of a rick & morty live action movie and it was airing on nickelodeon whoich was fucked up
i am watching clips of the Ali G show
just watched hannah gadsby's netflix special, nanette. it was really incredible. i'm a bit shaken to be honest. highly recommended

e: what a bad trailer

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

Petrol posted:

just watched hannah gadsby's netflix special, nanette. it was really incredible. i'm a bit shaken to be honest. highly recommended

cant say i get the ref, but thanks.

anyway i have slept on it now and i must impress upon everyone the value of watching 'nanette'. it has jokes but is not really standup, it's something a lot more than that. i think it's something everyone here could learn from. please find time and a means to watch it.
im seeing sorry to bother you on friday, how do i learn communist film theory in three days so i can write a really smashing rhizzone frontpage review (or plagiarize eileen jones without getting caught)

littlegreenpills posted:

communist film theory in three days so i can write a really smashing rhizzone frontpage review

fake it you'll be fine

swampman posted:

oh, i get it now. i hadn't actually watched the trailer before i posted it. please ignore the trailer. i don't think netflix are very good at trailers.

been playing around with netflix over the past few days (which i havent done for a long time) thanks to the kindness of an account-having friend. i dont know if it does this on other devices or whatever but the netflix app in my tv does a really annoying thing, as you browse around through different titles if you let it sit on one for more than a few seconds it starts playing a trailer. except for pretty much all of the non-netflix branded content its not a real trailer, it's clips from the selected title set to whatever terrible library music someone decided would best approximate the vibe of the title. funnily enough they seem to use the same kind of music for their own proper trailers.

anyway please for the love of god, ignore the trailer and watch nanette. thank.

will second, watch nanette

shriekingviolet posted:

will second, watch nanette

What the hell?

n-nanette?!?!?!
after watching 'nanette' and being so affected by it, i had to google it and find out more about it. in so doing i found there was quite a buzz about it in social media, a lot of ponderous thinkpieces about what it means for comedy, a big new york times profile of gadbsy, and so on. and so i say to you once more, please ignore the hype around 'nanette', and simply watch it.
I trust you and will watch it. This goes against a lot of my intuitions.
Managed to watch the first episode of Dark with no English subtitles to improve my german listening skills and did alright, although it helped having seen it in English before. Conversational german with all its modal particles and such sucks so bad, I’m forced to just googling whole german phrases cus it’s not really translatable on the fly.

Petrol posted:

after watching 'nanette' and being so affected by it, i had to google it and find out more about it. in so doing i found there was quite a buzz about it in social media, a lot of ponderous thinkpieces about what it means for comedy, a big new york times profile of gadbsy, and so on. and so i say to you once more, please ignore the hype around 'nanette', and simply watch it.

i feel sorry for people who had to read the shitty thinkpieces and hype latched on like ticks, it's cool being old and out of touch and getting to just do things without having my experiences mediated by a NYT headline telling me This Is So Important Right Now

shriekingviolet and petrol have been bodysnatched and i'm worried getfiscal's next
(putting my bust of stalin in the fridge) I freaking love, Nanette!!!

ipcress posted:

shriekingviolet and petrol have been bodysnatched and i'm worried getfiscal's next

it's you. you're next.

to anyone reading this, as strenuously as petrol implores you to watch ‘nanette’, i implore you not to. its very very bad and entirely within the spirit of the cynical cloying trailer posted above.

sorry to bother you was pretty good though. boots reily was on democracy now and said tianamen was about students protesting for the right to be managers at slave factories. they nodded politely. but then when amy goodman described him as an anti-capitalist activist he interjected to say “communist” and she was taken aback for a second and corrected herself “you’re a communist marxist” and then he interjected again to say like “Well i don’t know about that, didn’t Marx himself say he wasn’t a marxist

*sighs and unsheathes his squeaky toy hammer*

ok look. if the deeply personal trauma monologue can be considered a genre, then Nanette isn't its perfected masterwork. it's interesting to me because it's the kind of performance that normally doesn't find a mass media foothold, and some of the less good reasons why Nanette does get that attention while other performances remain ignored and obscure will be obvious on watching it, especially if you're actually familiar with the form. i'm definitely jaded by previous familiarity with similar acts, but i do think it's valid to acknowledge that from a radical perspective Nanette can be criticized as a prepackaging and blunting down of the medium.

but a lot of people will have never seen anything like it and that raises interesting possibilities to me. getting up on stage and talking about the horrific shit that has happened in your life, and where you're at with it, and how it fits into the world around you, is a deeply political act. and while i get it if people want to sneer at Nanette for being insufficiently radical etc, we don't have to be tedious snobs and outright refuse to talk about something just because it's popular and new to many folks.

meanwhile i'm fuckin pissed that sorry to bother you isn't showing yet in the theaters up here, what the fuck
yeah it's not in the uk either. something tells me they will be ok with it if i find it through less licit means but i would like to see it in a theatre ...
[account deactivated]
i did not feel shamed or in any way accountable to her while watching the show. because that would be an objectively fucking ridiculous thing to do
i trust rhizzone above all. i think the main reason i am skeptical is that it is clearly part of netflix's content monster strategy, which is to pluck any notable fringe show or professional stand-up comic and give them a special to absorb them into their blob. stand-up specials are generally cheap to make and low-risk as productions, but it's more than that. they are creating dozens of them. they heavily marketed nanette to give it the sense of an event which people had to talk about. this is because they want that basic sense about their service, that it's just something everyone has and you don't think about, everyone participates by default. this is because netflix is entirely premised on dominating this space, if it becomes an optional service then it could collapse. it has difficulty competing with traditional blockbuster movies but it can dominate in things that people binge watch at home. they are trying to dominate the entire category of comedy like this.

i found a clickbait article which listed some of the recent deals:
jerry seinfeld $100 million
dave chappelle $60 million
chris rock $40 million
ricky gervais $40 million
amy schumer $13 million

it's an insane amount of money really. it's like... anti-competitive amounts of money from what i can tell. anyway that's why i am wary of netflix stuff now.
that's what makes it interesting to me, it's a commodification of trauma narratives (sorry toyotathon but they're really not a new online thing) and theatre of the oppressed elements into a big cash money event, something that imho hasn't really happened like this before.

and I do want to see this kind of confrontational, emotive, deeply personal storytelling get to a broader audience because that really can break through to some people, and it is extremely valuable for marginalized and oppressed peoples to be able to share and empathize with common experiences of brutality, but obviously the medium of the deliberately sculpted niche category appeal netflix special and increasing fragmentation of audiences to facilitate exploitation overflows with deep problems.

i've wanted to have a thread to talk about political/revolutionary theatre and discuss brecht, theatre of the oppressed etc and the constant pressure of white settler hegemony trying to gobble it up, but i'm just a dabbler with some artist friends and don't have enough knowledge to carry it myself
yah i know petrol said he was blissfully unaware of the noise around that show but i do believe its something people--myself included--generally wouldnt think twice about without the marketing puffing it up. i thought it was bad but not really even in a very interesting way. its been described as like anti-comedy or a one woman show but i think its a lot more conventional than people are saying. its just bad stand-up for 40 minutes followed by a 20-min monologue at the end. i think ive seen carlos mencia specials with similar structures. the pithy theorizing on the function of humor, narrative, aestheticization in general, was more annoyingly middle-brow even than the self-congratulation for doing a few minutes about picasso.

all the words shriekingviolet wrote about the theater of the oppressed and confrontational trauma narratives are compelling but i find them hard to relate to my experience of watching nanette. it seemed to think it was being a lot more confrontational than it really was. commodification is interesting and i dont think the process neutralizes potentially 'subversive' content (whatever that means) entirely or uniformly . . . commodification is something that a lot of cool stuff actively incorporates into itself. nanette to me just seemed unremarkable. Send Remarks.
nothing good ever came out of australia
i get theres a therapeutic component to certain stripes of anti-oppression politics that doesnt necessarily deserve the most intense scrutiny as like, a platform or position--that its value rather is lending strength or motivation to people who are directly involved in struggle or something along those lines--but to the extent that this show is being described as a political act the content of those politics at first blush is as atrocious as anything.

i kind of jumped around a bit (having already had some clue as to where the show was headed), but i'm certain that i witnessed, for example, a variation of the liberal novelty argument that diversity is good for markets, a few riffs on the whole fraught discourse of toxicity and masculinity that one can always count on to be loaded with an anticommunist bullet, the typically insightless giving of shits about who the president is thats as grating coming from an australian as it is coming from any of the rich insulated dipshits working the late night ideology mines, and of course the weird peppering of essentialist nonsense thats already been mentioned. obviously its impossible to muster up the kind of contempt this stuff merits when confronted with a woman as publicly vulnerable and indisputably wronged as gadsby but is this really a ploy we should march into as a question of like, duty or something? the level of shear condescension throughout the act and the big centerpiece gag revolving around the speakers college degree makes me really not want to.

in any case i certainly dont agree that theres some mystery as to how it ended up being a popular item in the blog circuit.
[account deactivated]
i am glad everyone finally decided to share their thoughts on nanette and i am not about to make it my mission to convince everyone i disagree with that they are wrong but i want to respond to just a couple of things.

getfiscal posted:

i trust rhizzone above all. i think the main reason i am skeptical is that it is clearly part of netflix's content monster strategy,

these misgivings about netflix's business practices are sensible and i share them. but the quality of the content seems to be irrelevant as long as they have as much of it as possible, covering as many target audiences as possible. it is not lost on me as i scroll through the netflix menu that i am occasionally subjected to a thumbnail for joe rogan's (appropriately named) 'triggered'. so i think it's reasonable to say that nanette being on netflix has basically nothing to do with whether the show is good or not.

elias posted:

yah i know petrol said he was blissfully unaware of the noise around that show but i do believe its something people--myself included--generally wouldnt think twice about without the marketing puffing it up. i thought it was bad but not really even in a very interesting way. its been described as like anti-comedy or a one woman show but i think its a lot more conventional than people are saying. its just bad stand-up for 40 minutes followed by a 20-min monologue at the end.

i can assure you, not having twitter or facebook made it really easy to be unaware of the hype until i googled the show afterwards. all i knew about it before watching it was an irl friend told me it was good, and that i had seen gadbsy live some years ago performing traditional stand up, which i liked.

anyway, i disagree with the 'bad standup' characterisation of the show. i do think it is not quite standup, but something which involves a deconstruction and critique of the form. i wonder if i would be at all receptive to that idea if i hadn't come to it myself but rather had it forced down my throat by the new york times et al before having a chance to see it. context can make or break art.

kamelred posted:

a variation of the liberal novelty argument that diversity is good for markets, a few riffs on the whole fraught discourse of toxicity and masculinity that one can always count on to be loaded with an anticommunist bullet, the typically insightless giving of shits about who the president

the show is undeniably liberal when it comes to electoral politics, but it's barely a passing mention, so it seems kind of weird to get hung up on it or to dismiss gadsby on the grounds of some political disagreement.

kamelred posted:

i did not feel shamed or in any way accountable to her while watching the show. because that would be an objectively fucking ridiculous thing to do

this sort of angry response puzzles me. i did not feel shamed or accountable to her either. i did however feel a great deal of empathy. perhaps this is my failing? that my 'online irony man' centers were disengaged and i watched it as a human being listening to another human being and having feelings and stuff? perhaps.

yeah sure it's peppered with occasional throwaway lame liberal politics, if she was a radical marxist feminist it wouldn't be on netflix, that parts pretty boring and obvious. i still found parts of it emotionally poignant in spite of the low points, and it's fair for that to be a subjective thing but if you're gonna go stone faced every time someone's politics are subpar you're in for one drab emotionally deadened life imho.

kamelred posted:

on the whole fraught discourse of toxicity and masculinity that one can always count on to be loaded with an anticommunist bullet,

no you can't always count on that, defaulting to dismissing all conversations about toxic masculinity as anticommunist propaganda is shitty asswipe politics

kamelred posted:

in any case i certainly dont agree that theres some mystery as to how it ended up being a popular item in the blog circuit.

i don't think it's mysterious either, but the ongoing pressure to deradicalize and integrate queer identities into mainstream liberalism is of interest to me and i think worth discussing. western capitalism is always looking for ways to divide, redirect and absorb dissent to serve its purposes, they did it in the 70's-80's quashing race and class consciousness out of feminist currents by aggressively promoting white bougie thought in the movement and starving out everything else, and a similar campaign is happening now with the new currents of queer politics and thought that have emerged in the past decade. it's worth analyzing and opposing, though the rhizzone's knowledge and poster base has always been weak in this area so maybe i'm asking for too much.

humour's subjective (except for my posts which are of course universally bad) so like, enjoy that part or don't, w/e, not that interesting to me
i spent actually 10 minutes wondering about whether to leave in the "fucking" descriptor when i wrote that post and then i had a phone call so i just pressed post and it came out angrier than i meant it to. i dont think its a failing to feel empathy and of course the story was gut wrenching to listen to and i wasnt stony-faced muttering "who cares" or something like that. what i was trying to object to is this traditionally quite useless exhortation to wallow in guilt and culpability that sometimes skirts by as a sneaky provocation--appearing superficially to act as a systematic critique but limiting strategies for resistance to the individual. is that just an obnoxious re-formulation of "not all men" on my part? i literally dont know because im so damaged by the level of introspection and psychoanalysis required to interact with theories of privilege