is that 24 or Homeland?
the looming tower. in which the fbi and cia frustrate each others antiterror strategies in the late 90s, with fbi being the good guys but cia honestly believing they were doing the right thing too, and 9/11 being the tragic but unavoidable consequence lol

drwhat posted:

shapes posted:

is there a one stop-primer that i can point to about currency manipulation, food hoarding, and overall State Dept tomfoolery going on in Venezuela? used to be you could just google search "venezuela currency manipulation" and get some decent stuff, but now it's all Forbes articles about "Maduro claims Western Interference over food shortages. Here's why the math doesn't add up"

this is not very helpful exactly but next time you or someone else is like "huh this google search is not working the way i thought it would, this is all mainstream american media narrative reinforcing shit" try something else like duckduckgo, it isn't magic but it helps.

using the 'verbatim' function on google also helps, especially when looking for older stuff you remember key snippets or phrases from

thirdplace posted:

Kiyomonster posted:

if anyone still watching westworld, they did a 'shogun world' episode and boy, the orientalism

it was depicting a theme park made by a (rushed) asshole for (rich) assholes, it would be weird if it wasn't orientalist

The problem is the whole fantasy is falling apart. Westworld is basically settler Amerikkkan fantasy for modem bougie liberals so it combines the extreme violence at the heart of American ideology with multicultural post-racism. There are basically no black or Chinese people and the natives and latinos only exist in narratives within the town rather than the conquest of land and labor being the primary motive for westward expansion. The show always walked the line between showing the fantasy and indulging in it.

Without any forward progress, the show has fully become a liberal fantasy. Japanworld is literally a copy of settlerworld in the show. But that doesn't make sense since the fantasies are fundamentally different. The show portrays this as white people projecting onto the orient. But who is the audience? Edo Japan was stable, which is why the seven samurai (which the episode is based on) takes place in the warring states period. If the audience were rich Japanese people, Manchuko would be their own settler fantasy setting. If the audience is zen liberals or western japanophiles, the setting is too realistic, since the other zzone thread has shown rather well that Western buddhism has no relationship to Japanese history or the feudal hierarchy of edo Japan.

The basic problem is that "cultural appropriation" means "only bourgeois conservative nationalist forces portrayal of culture is acceptable" with japanese nihonjinron being the prototype for general post-colonial construction of capital friendly nationalism. Portray Japan as it actually was and Western liberals will be confused. Portray it as they actually see it when no one is around to impress with cultural awareness and the show would be decried as racist. The solution is in the show: instead of the nonsensical japan setting, go to late-colonial india where white people are shown hunting indians for sport. But if they did that the audience would be forced to confront that a black woman has become their vehicle for racist fantasies while the robot revolution has become distracted with unimportant sidestuff while robots continue to suffer exploitation. And the bizarre lack of racism in westworld could no longer be suppressed which would force the show to actually advance in portraying not stagnant liberalism but dying liberalism.

(spoilers if anyone cares, imo its a... fairly... good show so maybe you should?)

I agree that the show plays conveniently out of both sides of its face between "showing the fantasy" vs. "indulging it" and would add that the portrayal of native americans is another, at-least-as-bad, example (or, on the more pleasurable/positive but even more nonsensical side, the "confederatos" where we see a revolutionary leader in desperate need of manpower and the ability to reprogram her "troops" in a pinch decide to betray/mass-murder her white-supremacist-partisan allies for no apparent reason I can tell beyond the fact that their narrative role is extremely hateable). but even if the larger plot is a fig leaf for the flaws of the theme part setting, it is one a hell of a fig leaf--not only are these settings artificial fantasies, but they're artificial fantasies that no one who matters actually gives a shit about: the anthony hopkins character wants to build AI, while the investors want to build immortality. their japan doesn't fit any of the logical audiences because no one cares enough to make sure it does. this isn't disney, it's uber, a company that seems to make no sense at all because its purported business is actually just a giant loss-leader burning through capital in pursuit of a much more massive payoff (managed, in this case, by a guy secretly pursuing another payoff for personal and quasi-mystical reasons)
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
watching these old period imperialist docos on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOH7b3hPtRY

Got this as an ad between YT vids and it's some gold
watched some films that i never watched, Bone Tomahawk, BElko experiment, good films, 2015-2016 great years for horror
[account deactivated]
whats it like watching face/off in 2018?
[account deactivated]
sounds bad
Is that show "the americans" OK or just bad or really bad, a friend won't shut up about getting me to watch it
it's like eating a peach, f
watched """mother!""" and, lol
aronofsky "bragged" he wrote the script for that in like a weekend
at least i put this on drink in hand planning to slag it off, i will never forget how angry i was leaving the cinema after going to see black swan unironically
Is anything actually good
[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

The Spook Who Sat By The Door

littlegreenpills posted:

Deep Blue Sea

tHE r H i z z o n E
none of those things are good, sorry
by a mod betrayed
errol morris has a doc on netflix called wormwood about mk-ultra. i have only watched one ep but it seems Very Good so far
IMO this is one of the best places on the internet. I bring one gift with me, woody guthrie singing the praises of miss Pavlichenko. i dont have to pay for it so im being pretty clever on this tbh but the sentiment is still there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHKjOl9ocR0
one of the top Guthrie songs, Good Post

TG posted:

errol morris has a doc on netflix called wormwood about mk-ultra. i have only watched one ep but it seems Very Good so far

thank, i will check this out. incidentally, his son hamilton has a viceland show about psychoactive drugs that is genuinely good if you have any interest in that. one of the earlier episodes about south african quaaludes is fascinating, lots of political intrigue

heres a new DW thing about european development funds and private enterprise in africa. land theft ahoy
I'm watching Sans Soleil, holy shit, the way Marker truly sees the image not only as some object to be accepted a priori, an undialectical mass, but the real material accretion of history in a single instant. and how that shapes the contours of capitalist subjectivity, which then sees reflected in that image the only illusory unity of its present instant. The year's new fashion, upon closer inspection woven from human hair and matted in blood. And then he just fucking hits you with... THE ZONE (silhouette world), and suddenly you can see the purity of movement shorn of all history. The actual material unity of the moment, the substance of GOD that unites those who live in this contenporaneously. its incredible
What i mean to say is that capitalist subjectivity, which is molded by commoditization into a mode of perception where both the self and the instant become commodities themselves, constant, fungible, always ready to be converted into another forn of value, perceives the image, whose "illusory unity" I think Marker is able to expose through his voiceover (because he cab invoke many different histories in counterpoint to the dead image), through editing techniques and just through his instinct for the right images themselves, and in seeing this illusory unity exploded (which is actually the illusory unity which they impose themselves upon it) come to understand the dialecticla possibilities that they also possess as human beings, their particularity and power.
It's also as funny as it is horrifying
Sans soleil is really excellent. My Wife put me onto it. When we eventually got to visit tokyo we were able to visit the lucky cat temple at gotokuji, it was extremely rad. We also went to a old, tiny chris marker themed bar called la jetee. Thats my chris marker story.
[account deactivated]
just watched the series finale of sense8. it was stupid, gay, and incomprehensible. i am also those things so naturally i liked it
one thing a lot of people dont consider is that those youtubers that spend all their time practicing with their katanas, are pretty badass
im watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi (also known as Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi) the latest Genre: Sci-Fi, Adventure, Action, Fantasy produced by Lucasfilm and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, Release date December 9, 2017 (Shrine Auditorium), December 15, 2017 (United States); not sure what is going on in this film
let me fill you in: laura dern stars as Space Dern, angerer of manbabies and bringer of great justice. Enjoy