today i made something similar to what this looks like:

It's a pizza with no carbohydrates because i used four ounces of pork rinds to make the crust.
i've been eating things you wouldn't think a human being should eat, creations of pure fat.

and of course i make sure to fulfill protein requirements above all else with protein shakes and such as required.
i think it's possible you are going to die soon
ketosis is the leading cause of Spontaneous Human Combustion
apparently ice cream made of whey protein is a thing that exists. the taste is not ideal

gwarp posted:

i think people were talking about weight loss here, but i don't really know because half of the posts have been edited to be blank for some reason. anyway, you should do keto, it's great. i lost a lot of weight before by having a simple calorie deficit regardless of what i took in. now to lose the final bit of weight i've started a ketogenic diet for the heck of it and i eat like 10x more and lose weight much faster than i had before. it's insane and unbelievable, do it.

Are you for real? Either way lol.

Lessons posted:

idgi whats your problem with that post?

ps those blank posts were saying people lost weight faster like that than the usual caloric deficit + exercise cut (friends lost in a month what i lost in a year)

Prospero posted:

Lessons posted:

idgi whats your problem with that post?

ps those blank posts were saying people lost weight faster like that than the usual caloric deficit + exercise cut (friends lost in a month what i lost in a year)

He's following the insane goon diet where you eat nothing except bacon and mayonnaise in an effort to force your body into thinking that it's starving.

gwarp posted:

i think people were talking about weight loss here, but i don't really know because half of the posts have been edited to be blank for some reason. anyway, you should do keto, it's great. i lost a lot of weight before by having a simple calorie deficit regardless of what i took in. now to lose the final bit of weight i've started a ketogenic diet for the heck of it and i eat like 10x more and lose weight much faster than i had before. it's insane and unbelievable, do it.

youre losing weight because youre losing muscle mass while simultaneously becoming fatter. theres a reason every sensible source for nutritional information promotes that the vast majority of energy supply should be from carbs. youre risking damaging your liver or potentially much much worse.

the Lipolysis, the process that essentialy is "burning your fat", requires you to have a normal carb itnake to function properly instead of having your body try to reverse engineer carbs so your central nervous system doesnt die. Its bad for your body and you should not do it

Lessons posted:

He's following the insane goon diet where you eat nothing except bacon and mayonnaise in an effort to force your body into thinking that it's starving.

no more explanation needed, you said goon ur right im convinced

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

youre losing weight because youre losing muscle mass while simultaneously becoming fatter. theres a reason every sensible source for nutritional information promotes that the vast majority of energy supply should be from carbs. youre risking damaging your liver or potentially much much worse.

a pure keto diet has its drawbacks and isn't something you should necessarily do, but this is completely wrong

food isnt that complicated folks. eat stuff where the work necessary to turn it from whatever it used to be into food, as far as possible, was not done on a commodity production basis. also smash capitalism and the profit-logic which necessitates cane sugar and corn syrup on and in everything
i dont follow this at all but communism isnt a lifestyle choice

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

a pure keto diet has its drawbacks and isn't something you should necessarily do, but this is completely wrong

In what way? Its pretty common for those stupid trendy diets to result in weight loss that coincides with an increase in body fat percentage...

Ronnski posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

In what way? Its pretty common for those stupid trendy diets to result in weight loss that coincides with an increase in body fat percentage...

Ketogenic diets have been around since the early 20th century as a way to help control epilepsy and various metabolic disorders. ketoacidosis only occurs if you aren't balancing the protein intake with higher fat intake as well, or if you have a metabolic issue that prevents you from metabolizing the fatty acids. even in that case, your body is metabolizing fat stores as well.

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

Ketogenic diets have been around since the early 20th century as a way to help control epilepsy and various metabolic disorders. ketoacidosis only occurs if you aren't balancing the protein intake with higher fat intake as well, or if you have a metabolic issue that prevents you from metabolizing the fatty acids. even in that case, your body is metabolizing fat stores as well.

Eating a diet that is 90% fat as a way to minmax your way to weight loss is disgusting, insane and unhealthy.

also low-carb diets (though not ketogonic) have been staples of many nomadic or hunting/gathering cultures throughout history. if you go to pre-agriculture, it's doubtful most human diets were primarily carbohydrate based. whether that was actually healthier or not is another question, but longevity was at least approximate.

elemennop posted:

also low-carb diets (though not ketogonic) have been staples of many nomadic or hunting/gathering cultures throughout history. if you go to pre-agriculture, it's doubtful most human diets were primarily carbohydrate based. whether that was actually healthier or not is another question, but longevity was at least approximate.

This is just bullshit that paleolithic diet blogs make up and there's zero archaeological evidence for it. We know close to nothing about prehistoric nutrition.

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

Eating a diet that is 90% fat as a way to minmax your way to weight loss is disgusting, insane and unhealthy.

eating some pork-rind pizza is disgusting and insane for purely aesthetic reasons, but ketogenic diets aren't 90% fat.

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

im pretty sure I remember the central nervous system requiring Glucose to function at all, so even if you supplement your diet with more fat you can easily run into the problem of producing a lot of keton bodies because your body is trying to reverse engineer food for your cns

even if you could sensibly handle a diet such as this you shouldnt recommend it to people with no training in nutritional science as they are going to ruin their liver by shoveling fast food down their throat more than usual

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

This is just bullshit that paleolithic diet blogs make up and there's zero archaeological evidence for it. We know close to nothing about prehistoric nutrition.

eh, paleo diet shit makes shit up, but afaik from the archaeologists and anthropologists i've talked to, i don't think it's particularly controversial that humans did not have the carb intake as post-neolithic evolution. whether they were wolfing down mongongo nuts or, as modern paleo diets claim, game, is as you said completely unknown.

im gonna put on my big Ron pants and just say ive done several years of nutritional science and the essential lesson to take away from it is that any of those garbage diets and quickfix solutions only aim at bringing money to fuckwits like the Ducan dude and wont bring you any longlasting, positive results, but only superficial ones that backfire.

if youre not a bodybuilder, extreme sports person man guy, or whatever, but just some average dude who wants to lose weight, go with the recommendations of the DGE (the german society for nutrition, as thats the one im familiar with) which was, iirc, 60% carbs 25% fat and 15% protein, make sure to consume mostly complex carbs, eat your fruits and veggies like mom told you to and do some sport. its the stuff passed aorund as conventional wisdom but well, its right

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

eating some pork-rind pizza is disgusting and insane for purely aesthetic reasons, but ketogenic diets aren't 90% fat.

Sometimes they are though, they're basically always over 50% fat and >75% fat is really common. Thats fucking gross dude lol.

pork rind crust pizza is so disgusting i cant even appreciate it for being humorously insane

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

Sometimes they are though, they're basically always over 50% fat and >75% fat is really common. Thats fucking gross dude lol.

man, eating a pork rind pizza is disgusting even if it was 10% of your caloric intake, i don't think that should be your takeaway

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

eh, paleo diet shit makes shit up, but afaik from the archaeologists and anthropologists i've talked to, i don't think it's particularly controversial that humans did not have the carb intake as post-neolithic evolution. whether they were wolfing down mongongo nuts or, as modern paleo diets claim, game, is as you said completely unknown.

I mean it simply stands to reason that paleolithic humans didn't eat as much carbohydrates as neolithic or modern humans but any statement like "paleolithic humans followed a low-carb diet" can't be supported because we just don't have any hard evidence. They didn't have agriculture but there were also a lot of countervailing factors like pastoral practices, the much larger variety of wild grains that existed back then, etc., and you can't really extrapolate back based on current band-level societies because these aren't actually analogues to paleolithic humans unchanged for millennia, they're societies deeply shaped and often outright created by agricultural societies.

jesus theres thousands of people eating these things and sharing their recipes
https://www.google.com/#q=pork+rind+crust+pizza
Bread is your best friend in this world and I want everyone to cherish it
i hear u cant just buy wonder breaed though and have to buy those wierd bougie breads with like the multigrains and seeds and stuff o nthem to get the health.

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

I mean it simply stands to reason that paleolithic humans didn't eat as much carbohydrates as neolithic or modern humans but any statement like "paleolithic humans followed a low-carb diet" can't be supported because we just don't have any hard evidence. They didn't have agriculture but there were also a lot of countervailing factors like pastoral practices, the much larger variety of wild grains that existed back then, etc., and you can't really extrapolate back based on current band-level societies because these aren't actually analogues to paleolithic humans unchanged for millennia, they're societies deeply shaped and often outright created by agricultural societies.

I never said anything to the contrary, and I never extrapolated from modern band-level societies? All I said was that paleolithic diets had probably significantly lower amount of carbohydrates in their diet compared to neolithic diets, and that there are modern band-level societies with low carbohydrate consumption that survive just fine compared to agricultural society

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

I never said anything to the contrary, and I never extrapolated from modern band-level societies? All I said was that paleolithic diets had probably significantly lower amount of carbohydrates in their diet compared to neolithic diets, and that there are modern band-level societies with low carbohydrate consumption that survive just fine compared to agricultural society

"Significantly" is just a weasel word except when used in a precise statistical context

If you are a band-level herder who survives primarily on horse meat and milk then more power to you but tbh all of the low carb people you're ever actually like to run into are the pork rind pizza psychos and deserve less respect than even than the Soylent Diet ppl.

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

"Significantly" is just a weasel word except when used in a precise statistical context

come on man, give me a break, i'm not writing an article for the AJA, nor am I shilling a product. it's not unreasonable to estimate it would be "considerably" lower.

on the other hand your position is objectively closer to those of the pork rind crust pizza eaters than anyone else in this thread. is that really a place you want to be

Lessons posted:

all of the low carb people you're ever actually like to run into are the pork rind pizza psychos

my Kimiko-san would never eat goongrease so we only eat cheetos dipped in mt dew + nutella milkshakes

seriously have you never seen one of those crossfit cult freaks on paleo?

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

come on man, give me a break, i'm not writing an article for the AJA, nor am I shilling a product. it's not unreasonable to estimate it would be "considerably" lower.

It's not necessarily unreasonable but I also don't think it's particularly informative anthropologically let alone nutritionally. Anyway the reason I started arguing about this at all is because you were saying something much more specific, that paleolithic diets "weren't primarily carbohydrate-based" which is a really dubious statement and seems to imply that pre-agricultural humans all ate like traditional Inuit or something.

my diet is 50% protein, 45% fat, and 5% carbs, the increased protein is because I lift a lot, everything that has been said about ketosis here has been wrong, unless you have advanced insulin resistant diabetes lol. my only problems are needing to drink more water because of the lack of glycogen in my muscles, which carry 4 grams of water for every gram of their mass and needing to take potassium and magnesium supplements because of their scarcity in a low-carb diet. before this I never just maintained a calorie deficit and ate whatever as long as I stayed around my goal, with this I maintain the same deficit but feel a lot more full because fat causes satiety.

There are a lot of misconceptions about fat and people just don't understand how the body works in the first place. im not saying everyone has to eliminate carbs completely from their diet, but eating sugary drinks, sugary snacks, cakes, bowls of pasta with no nutrients, etc is likely why diabetes is so widespread everywhere. eating good fats will neither kill you not make you fat, they are just a differently metabolized sources of energy.

also I'm fine lol, I'm kinda "a biologist" and knew about the brain utilizing ketone bodies to sustain itself before I ever heard of people inducing ketosis, I of course also did my research and asked others what they thought of my findings. Everyone around me is a health professional, so I don't think I'm gonna die any time soon. If I was just some random guy with no knowledge of molecular biology finding a "fad" diet, I would be skeptical too, but I have had no I'll effects doing this and have only had massive gains.

Edit: oh when I said I eat "10x more than I did before," I actually do maintain the same caloric deficit I always had, but I just feel extremely more sated because of the increased fat intake.

Edited by Peelzebub ()

i think paleo diets are pretty cool because some dungiss from Miami tells people what cavemen ate to be superior to us and people write it down and pay money for it. I've got the most eccentric stiffie right now.