gwarp posted:

my diet is 50% protein, 45% fat, and 5% carbs, the increased protein is because I lift a lot, everything that has been said about ketosis here has been wrong, unless you have advanced insulin resistant diabetes lol. my only problems are needing to drink more water because of the lack of glycogen in my muscles, which carry 4 grams of water for every gram of their mass and needing to take potassium and magnesium supplements because of their scarcity in a low-carb diet. before this I never just maintained a calorie deficit and ate whatever as long as I stayed around my goal, with this I maintain the same deficit but feel a lot more full because fat causes satiety.

There are a lot of misconceptions about fat and people just don't understand how the body works in the first place. im not saying everyone has to eliminate carbs completely from their diet, but eating sugary drinks, sugary snacks, cakes, bowls of pasta with no nutrients, etc is likely why diabetes is so widespread everywhere. eating good fats will neither kill you not make you fat, they are just a differently metabolized sources of energy.

also I'm fine lol, I'm kinda "a biologist" and knew about the brain utilizing ketone bodies to sustain itself before I ever heard of people inducing ketosis, I of course also did my research and asked others what they thought of my findings. Everyone around me is a health professional, so I don't think I'm gonna die any time soon. If I was just some random guy with no knowledge of molecular biology finding a "fad" diet, I would be skeptical too, but I have had no I'll effects doing this and have only had massive gains.

Edit: oh when I said I eat "10x more than I did before," I actually do maintain the same caloric deficit I always had, but I just feel extremely more sated because of the increased fat intake.

i just eat normal things, keep track of my calories and exercise, its pretty cool and so i cant recommend being really weird and insane
in a month or so I'll stop doing this once I get to a good low % body fat and start eating to bulk up more, i really only started the whole keto thing because I had heard of the concept before in one of my classes and thought it would be interesting to try; never understood that whole caveman thing, though I do want to limit carbohydrates to an extent in the future because diabetes runs in my family.

i also eat normal things, I just had to include the pork rind pizza because it is hilarious, I usually just use almond flour to make pizza.
All of my cool scientist friends say it's really awesome and healthy to eat disgusting super-fatty goon foods like pork rind pizzas and meat ships.
Carbs doesn't just translate to soda and whitebread, food with complex carbs is very filling, and I cant imagine a fat intensive diet will be even remotely balanced nutrient wise (and needing to shovel vitamin tablets or w/e)...... but well if this is the route you chose I guess good luck

gwarp posted:

in a month or so I'll stop doing this once I get to a good low % body fat and start eating to bulk up more, i really only started the whole keto thing because I had heard of the concept before in one of my classes and thought it would be interesting to try; never understood that whole caveman thing, though I do want to limit carbohydrates to an extent in the future because diabetes runs in my family.

i also eat normal things, I just had to include the pork rind pizza because it is hilarious, I usually just use almond flour to make pizza.

Did you know that eating a lot of disgusting fatty goon foods gives you diabetes and bread doesn't? The more you know.

i meant that I'm in safe hands if anything were to go wrong, most everyone on my dad's side is either a physician, pharmacist, or nurse. I was talking to my great uncle about the diet because he has diabetes and he disagrees with limiting carbs to that extent, but I don't have any of the symptoms of ketoacidosis so it's not like I'm going to die.

also shunning fatty foods because "goons eat them" is pretty dumb and you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the use of fats in a healthy diet. have you ever had Indian (from India) food? They drown their food in oil and fat and more oil and more fat and fatty dairy products and yet more oil. And yet many of them have very little fat on their bodies.
just because one plate of food looks like a meat ship and one looks like a bowl of curry doesn't mean they necessarily have different amounts of fat

Ronnski posted:

Carbs doesn't just translate to soda and whitebread, food with complex carbs is very filling, and I cant imagine a fat intensive diet will be even remotely balanced nutrient wise (and needing to shovel vitamin tablets or w/e)...... but well if this is the route you chose I guess good luck

I take multivitamins and eat a lot of leafy greens, I make sure to track my nutrients to make sure I'm getting everything everyday. It's impossible to not eat any carbs lol, I just don't eat any sweets or bread

gwarp posted:

just because one plate of food looks like a meat ship and one looks like a bowl of curry doesn't mean they necessarily have different amounts of fat

Even if what you're eating isn't disgusting you are still going to kill yourself because you are gorging yourself on cholesterol and saturated fat.

gwarp posted:

Ronnski posted:

I take multivitamins and eat a lot of leafy greens, I make sure to track my nutrients to make sure I'm getting everything everyday. It's impossible to not eat any carbs lol, I just don't eat any sweets or bread

yeah sorry but that sounds like a textbook awful diet. taking supplements like that is a clear sign youre not eating well at all

gwarp posted:

yet many of them have very little fat on their bodies.

thats the poor and overworked ones

That whole pork rind pizza was something I did once because it was ridiculous yet ingenious way to make dough. Normally my diet consists of an avocado for breakfast, a cold cut sandwich using romaine lettuce as "bread" with varying meats, mayonnaise, and provolone cheese (I still get the low fat versions of all of these to limit calories, fat is a filler, not a necessity), and some kind of wildcard for dinner, egg meatball stew, snapper/mussel stew, etc, swapping all of these options out for similar things on different days.

I also have a round trip four mile commute to school everyday (taking summer classes atm) on my bike and go biking for hours on end for enjoyment on my free time (this is my bike: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A4BFCQW?pc_redir=1403793449&robot_redir=1 I'm only linking it to show off) , I also lift almost religiously when I'm not busy studying for anything. I'm still around 15 pounds overweight, but I'm far from unhealthy in my habits.

With all of this all I'm trying to say is that you can eat a diet that is low in carbs and balanced around protein and fats while living a normal life and not being a goon sitting around, doing nothing, and eating bacon.

gwarp posted:

They drown their food in oil and fat and more oil and more fat and fatty dairy products and yet more oil.

also that's restaurant food jesus christ

i've eaten some punjabi food where I am now in california at the parties they have and i've always noticed just pools of oil everywhere. being from a mixed background that is mostly caribbean Indian I've never witnessed a curry that is half oil, maybe they just serve the "good" stuff to their guests

also I don't associate with broke coolies, just saiyan

Edited by Peelzebub ()

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

also low-carb diets (though not ketogonic) have been staples of many nomadic or hunting/gathering cultures throughout history. if you go to pre-agriculture, it's doubtful most human diets were primarily carbohydrate based. whether that was actually healthier or not is another question, but longevity was at least approximate.

This is just bullshit that paleolithic diet blogs make up and there's zero archaeological evidence for it. We know close to nothing about prehistoric nutrition.

so what youre saying is theres absolutely no evidence that prehistoric man DIDNT eat pork rind pizzas on the reg

Today I Ate: 2 honey buns, leftover Singapore Chow Mei Fun with some letfover fish that was old and i probably should have thrown away instead, 2 cups of coffee loaded with (non-dairy) cream and sugar, 4 cans of Barqs Root Beer, 5 pieces of Hershey's dark chocolate, a handfull of Reeseys Peeseys, a McDonalds Filet-O-Fish, a Quarter Pounder w/cheese, two large fries drowned in salt (both regular and garlic), and later im going to order a large pepperoni black olive and anchovy pitzza from Hungry Howies. i weigh 130lbs

yeah it's party/restaurant/banquet food that has all the grease generally

Superabound posted:

Today I Ate: 2 honey buns, leftover Singapore Chow Mei Fun with some letfover fish that was old and i probably should have thrown away instead, 2 cups of coffee loaded with (non-dairy) cream and sugar, 4 cans of Barqs Root Beer, 5 pieces of Hershey's dark chocolate, a handfull of Reeseys Peeseys, a McDonalds Filet-O-Fish, a Quarter Pounder w/cheese, two large fries drowned in salt (both regular and garlic), and later im going to order a large pepperoni black olive and anchovy pitzza from Hungry Howies. i weigh 130lbs

The South Mississippi Delta Diet

so uh, what's with the thread title?
Goatstein is a closeted transwoman, and surprisingly, only 8 years old

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

i think people were talking about weight loss here, but i don't really know because half of the posts have been edited to be blank for some reason. anyway, you should do keto, it's great. i lost a lot of weight before by having a simple calorie deficit regardless of what i took in. now to lose the final bit of weight i've started a ketogenic diet for the heck of it and i eat like 10x more and lose weight much faster than i had before. it's insane and unbelievable, do it.

youre losing weight because youre losing muscle mass while simultaneously becoming fatter. theres a reason every sensible source for nutritional information promotes that the vast majority of energy supply should be from carbs. youre risking damaging your liver or potentially much much worse.

a pure keto diet has its drawbacks and isn't something you should necessarily do, but this is completely wrong

In what way? Its pretty common for those stupid trendy diets to result in weight loss that coincides with an increase in body fat percentage...

Ketogenic diets have been around since the early 20th century as a way to help control epilepsy and various metabolic disorders. ketoacidosis only occurs if you aren't balancing the protein intake with higher fat intake as well, or if you have a metabolic issue that prevents you from metabolizing the fatty acids. even in that case, your body is metabolizing fat stores as well.

Eating a diet that is 90% fat as a way to minmax your way to weight loss is disgusting, insane and unhealthy.

tbh given that fat is over 2x the calorie density of protein or carbohydrate it isn't unreasonable to have 50% or more of your dietary calories to come from fat sources

Themselves posted:

Lessons posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

elemennop posted:

Ronnski posted:

gwarp posted:

i think people were talking about weight loss here, but i don't really know because half of the posts have been edited to be blank for some reason. anyway, you should do keto, it's great. i lost a lot of weight before by having a simple calorie deficit regardless of what i took in. now to lose the final bit of weight i've started a ketogenic diet for the heck of it and i eat like 10x more and lose weight much faster than i had before. it's insane and unbelievable, do it.

youre losing weight because youre losing muscle mass while simultaneously becoming fatter. theres a reason every sensible source for nutritional information promotes that the vast majority of energy supply should be from carbs. youre risking damaging your liver or potentially much much worse.

a pure keto diet has its drawbacks and isn't something you should necessarily do, but this is completely wrong

In what way? Its pretty common for those stupid trendy diets to result in weight loss that coincides with an increase in body fat percentage...

Ketogenic diets have been around since the early 20th century as a way to help control epilepsy and various metabolic disorders. ketoacidosis only occurs if you aren't balancing the protein intake with higher fat intake as well, or if you have a metabolic issue that prevents you from metabolizing the fatty acids. even in that case, your body is metabolizing fat stores as well.

Eating a diet that is 90% fat as a way to minmax your way to weight loss is disgusting, insane and unhealthy.

tbh given that fat is over 2x the calorie density of protein or carbohydrate it isn't unreasonable to have 50% or more of your dietary calories to come from fat sources

Hell yeah dude! I fucking love cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes!

"Fat is bad for you" is the new "Tofu isnt processed"

Superabound posted:

today i ate a egg and played tennis
there was 67 new posts on this thread and somehow i suspected slavry
marking the first time you came in somewhere and didn't expect food
peatnut butter with no added sugar is like 50% fat, 40% protein, 10% carb, so i just eat that all day
isnt that a salty nightmare though
Is he back!? i thought Salty_Nightmare swore to never post again!?

Edited by conec ()

Edited by conec ()

Edited by conec ()