babyfinland posted:

hekmatyr is a son of a bitch

in the movie of Charlie Wilson's War they made it out like Massoud was the main recipient of funding whereas Hekmatyr got the largest chunk lol

Hitler posted:

just finished bros karam by postoyevski. amazing, amazing, author is the master of making characters with depth. the best char is the marxoteen with the dog

best line that kid spit was when he called the doctor an apothecary just to be a d-bag

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

babyfinland posted:

hekmatyr is a son of a bitch

in the movie of Charlie Wilson's War they made it out like Massoud was the main recipient of funding whereas Hekmatyr got the largest chunk lol

massoud got basically nothing, hekmatyr got almost everything because we gave everything to ISI and they did with it what they pleased

the ISI is pretty fascinating, do you know any material by any insiders or whistle-blowers or whatever about how they operate and what their aims are?

the ISI is pretty fascinating, do you know any material by any insiders or whistle-blowers or whatever about how they operate and what their aims are?

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Al-Qaeda-Taliban-Beyond-Laden/dp/0745331017

this is suppsoed to be good

theres ghost wars and all of that too im sure youre familiar

[account deactivated]
still haven't read ghost wars, i'll give it a whirl

just started reading Heading South
[account deactivated]
googly eyebrows

Mohammad Yousaf wrote a book about running the ISI during the soviet invasion, its pretty decent

http://www.amazon.ca/Afghanistan--Bear-Trap-Defeat-Superpower/dp/0971170924/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1346670739&sr=8-7

In my book it just covered the rise and decline of the islamic enlightenment during the abbasid dynasty and ended the chapter by attributing the end of the liberal age to heightened fear and uncertainty; the title of the next chapter is ENTER THE TURKS and i did a lil fist pump right then and there

cleanhands posted:

In my book it just covered the rise and decline of the islamic enlightenment during the abbasid dynasty

groaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

hey im a beginner to this shit, if you got suggestions nows the time
unless youre objecting to the word enlightenment then idk what to tell you, europe owns dude #getonmylevel

cleanhands posted:

that book (destiny disrupted, right?) is a good introductory survey from what i understand, but it leans on old tropes like that that make me puke my guiness world record setting burger lunch

if you want to read a good treatment of the whole "rise and decline" argument, check out george saliba's islamic science and the european renaissance (thats not the exact title, its somehting like that)

if you want a nice fat comprehensive history of the islamic(ate) world, the venture of islam by marshall hodgson is good. ira lapidus has an encyclopedic work on various islamic societies if you want something more like that.

if you want to read something more about the "meaning" of what it means to be a muslim from a semi-historical kind of perspective, islam and the destiny of man by charles le gai eaton is really good. it has a good (though conservative) defense of the umayyads (which you dont often see) and the mainstream sunni tradition even though it flirts with perennialist heresies when he discusses theological stuff.

oh and maria rosa menocal's ornament of the world is a great book on islamic spain, she emphasizes the literary culture in really interesting ways. i'd probably reccomend this to you next actually unless you want to get into something heavy

Edited by babyfinland ()

thanks broby broland i will bookmark this

babyfinland posted:

cleanhands posted:

that book (destiny disrupted, right?) is a good introductory survey from what i understand, but it leans on old tropes like that that make me puke my guiness world record setting burger lunch

if you want to read a good treatment of the whole "rise and decline" argument, check out george saliba's islamic science and the european renaissance (thats not the exact title, its somehting like that)

if you want a nice fat comprehensive history of the islamic(ate) world, the venture of islam by marshall hodgson is good. ira lapidus has an encyclopedic work on various islamic societies if you want something more like that.

if you want to read something more about the "meaning" of what it means to be a muslim from a semi-historical kind of perspective, islam and the destiny of man by charles le gai eaton is really good. it has a good (though conservative) defense of the umayyads (which you dont often see) and the mainstream sunni tradition even though it flirts with perennialist heresies when he discusses theological stuff.

oh and maria rosa menocal's ornament of the world is a great book on islamic spain, she emphasizes the literary culture in really interesting ways. i'd probably reccomend this to you next actually unless you want to get into something heavy

i heard a song of ice and fire is pretty good if you want fantasy novels too

in the first few pages of the next chapter he says that the abbasid empire was too large to be centrally managed which strikes out his theory that one philospher's greco-muslim synthesis could unravel the entire ginormous project

im not really bothered by this kind of thing though, he says in the intro that he had the idea while writing like a us highschool book so its to be expected that it's all icecream sundaes and baby talk rather than an immaculately sourced reference.
the seven storey mountain by thomas merton
hi rhizzone. currently i'm reading democracy in america by tocqueville for some poli-sci class i'm taking. the dude is goofy.

i'm also reading my biography, dreamer of the day, which would be a lot more enjoyable if it didn't have a large, uncomfortable swastika on the cover. i felt pretty weird at the library checking it out while wearing my 18 eye black boots and 1-guard length clipped hair!
i got open veins of latin America today because the library didnt have debt LIKE THEIR WEBSITE SPECIFICALLY SAID THEY DID

KilledInADuel posted:

me too!

innsmouthful posted:

hi rhizzone. currently i'm reading democracy in america by tocqueville for some poli-sci class i'm taking. the dude is goofy.

i'm also reading my biography, dreamer of the day, which would be a lot more enjoyable if it didn't have a large, uncomfortable swastika on the cover. i felt pretty weird at the library checking it out while wearing my 18 eye black boots and 1-guard length clipped hair!

dress normally freak

cleanhands posted:

in the first few pages of the next chapter he says that the abbasid empire was too large to be centrally managed which strikes out his theory that one philospher's greco-muslim synthesis could unravel the entire ginormous project

im not really bothered by this kind of thing though, he says in the intro that he had the idea while writing like a us highschool book so its to be expected that it's all icecream sundaes and baby talk rather than an immaculately sourced reference.

is that a way of explaining the turkish administrative organization that took over

maybe when i read that far ill find out, yeesh

littlegreenpills posted:

dress normally freak

lol look at this kid, mad at how i dress. maybe if you don't like it you should devote your life to destroying liberal cosmopolitan society rather than making posts on an internet forum that 15 people read?

innsmouthful posted:

littlegreenpills posted:

dress normally freak

lol look at this kid, mad at how i dress. maybe if you don't like it you should devote your life to destroying liberal cosmopolitan society rather than making posts on an internet forum that 15 people read?

maybe you should, fucker

babyfinland posted:

KilledInADuel posted:

me too!

Hey!

And so it is an indication of the intellectual instability of Communism, and the weakness of its philosophical foundations, that most Communists are, in actual fact, noisy and shallow and violent people, torn to pieces by petty jealousies and factional hatreds and envies and strife. They shout and show off and generally give the impression that they cordially detest one another even when they are supposed to belong to the same sect. And as for the inter-sectional hatred prevailing between all the different branches of radicalism, it is far bitterer and more virulent than the more or less sweeping and abstract hatred of the big general enemy, capitalism.

KilledInADuel posted:

babyfinland posted:

KilledInADuel posted:

me too!

Hey!

And so it is an indication of the intellectual instability of Communism, and the weakness of its philosophical foundations, that most Communists are, in actual fact, noisy and shallow and violent people, torn to pieces by petty jealousies and factional hatreds and envies and strife. They shout and show off and generally give the impression that they cordially detest one another even when they are supposed to belong to the same sect. And as for the inter-sectional hatred prevailing between all the different branches of radicalism, it is far bitterer and more virulent than the more or less sweeping and abstract hatred of the big general enemy, capitalism.

some bitin analysis therE

*turns to camera* it certainly does bite
szymanski is discussing how prices were set and how you got a job in the soviet union, it rules
workers were given two weeks pay at the time of severance and 60% of workers found a new job in the same or similar industry within ten days. in addition if you were fired they had to give you several months' notice and pay for your retraining and give you a stipend for retraining. and your firing had to be negotiated with the union, which made it rare to begin with, and if you were fired at all the "labor courts" would re instate you to your job about half of the time. so sxymaniski concludes that there was no reserve army of labor but instead near-full employment and a drastic labor shortage
which is why the soviet economy underperformed. without the damocles' sword of redundancy hanging over his head the proletarian will grow fat and lazy. god bless the unemployed states of america
szymansky describes a tactic employed by firms known as 'labor hoarding' in which redundant laborers would be kept on through periods of lighter targets for the firm, in anticipation of the target for production increasing in the future and the labor becoming necessary again.
how nice for white people to have jobs
those people must have been exhausted after 40 hour work weeks.
yeah he doesn't discuss the eastern republics at all, in the index I'm only seeing stuff for eastern europe specifically and I assume when he's talking about this stuff he's talking about the russian part of the ussr. it's still funny to read stuff from the revolutionary union that talks about the tendency of the rate of profit to fall in a totally garbled way and is completely unspecific and lame and then to see szymanski discussing labor courts and stipends for retraining and how plans are put together union-wide.

stegosaurus posted:

yeah he doesn't discuss the eastern republics at all, in the index I'm only seeing stuff for eastern europe specifically and I assume when he's talking about this stuff he's talking about the russian part of the ussr. it's still funny to read stuff from the revolutionary union that talks about the tendency of the rate of profit to fall in a totally garbled way and is completely unspecific and lame and then to see szymanski discussing labor courts and stipends for retraining and how plans are put together union-wide.

yeah it is cool, which book is this again

is the red flag flying?: (no colon I just added it becuz) the political economy of the soviet union today