also important to note that the restoration of profitability that comes with crisis and other mass capital destruction events is never complete, as far as we can see

fictional capital is annihilated and real capital devalued, and capitalists fly to value -- classically, hoards, but also to whatever sound investments might be found in less dysfunctional sectors of the world economy, which may be undercapitalized and ripe for growth. and then they capitalize, organic rate rises, etc.

in this respect, it seems to me as though the very conditions that can restore profitability also generate conditions that continue forcing the general rate of profit down, through sort of a multiple-piston action -- bearing a faint likeness to the contradiction inherent in technological change at the firm level, but at the scale of imperialism

Edited by Constantignoble ()

i'm reading about the Marxistisch-Leninistische Partij van Nederland (MLPN) that existed from 1968-1990, a fake maoist party that in 2004 was revealed to be founded by and completely controlled by the dutch security services, publishing a weekly political newspaper called "De Kommunist" that was completely written by security services employees and even going so far as getting actual dutch Maoist parties out of favor from china and with its CIA/BVD employed leader meeting people like Hoxha, Xiaoping and Khrushchev. They didn't accomplish their mission of gathering info about the other dutch Maoist parties because those parties distrusted MLPN for never participating in actual actions and mass work. This action, called Project Mongool, was organized by the same people who did infiltration and destabilization of the CPN.

lenochodek posted:

They didn't accomplish their mission of gathering info about the other dutch Maoist parties because those parties distrusted MLPN for never participating in actual actions and mass work.

loling hard at a project founded on the fundamentally flawed premise that maoist parties would ever be friendly with each other. 22 years of expertise and resources dedicated to an obviously stupid idea

Ruzbihan posted:

Finished Imperialism in the Twenty-First Century. Whoever called it “semi-Trotskyite” on here was on the money, but luckily Smith confines his clown opinions on the CCP etc. to a single, mercifully brief, subchapter. In the last chapter he speculates that the coming crisis will be a deflationary meltdown that spells the end of the moribund capitalism that’s been limping along for the last 30 years. And it just got me thinking, I mean of course the wheels have to come off at some point, probably sooner rather than later, but people have been making this prediction for a long time. Marx hoped that 1848 would touch off a wave of European revolution, but the California gold rush stymied that. The Great Depression looked like the end, but WWII hit the reset button. The dollar was on the verge of meltdown in 1979, but Paul Volcker saved it with his bitter medicine.

This isn’t to shit on anyone that wrongly predicted the end of capitalism. Marx was a brilliant scientist, but even he didn’t have a crystal ball. I’m just wrestling with the fact that, in light of all the times that capital has rallied for another round, this time, it really does look like the point where it all falls apart, but whether it happens in 15 years or 75 has a new significance. Because the planet’s only getting hotter, and every boatload of Sri Lankan coconut water or jumbo shrimp peeled in Thailand takes us that much closer to disaster. I don’t know if we can survive another Volcker Shock, this time. Those are my gloomy and mostly unconstructive thoughts, anyway.

rip paul walker

*Types in ‘hegel’ into the RhiZzone search bar, 30 pages of Hegel psots show up* oh yes, here we go. *hebt auf*
wait the search function does something other than allowing goatstein to shut down the site at his leisure ??

shriekingviolet posted:

wait the search function does something other than allowing goatstein to shut down the site at his leisure ??

several days ago i used it to find all the hoxha jokes made by posters of past ages, so it seems to work well

search has been fixed for a long time. in fact every outstanding technical problem of this site has been fixed except for one: my posts
im still doing google site:rhizzone.net so im gonna give it a test run
spiders

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-thoughts-of-a-spiderweb-20170523/

[Japyassú and Kevin Laland] argued in a review paper, published in the journal Animal Cognition, that a spider’s web is at least an adjustable part of its sensory apparatus, and at most an extension of the spider’s cognitive system.

This would make the web a model example of extended cognition, an idea first proposed by the philosophers Andy Clark and David Chalmers in 1998 to apply to human thought. In accounts of extended cognition, processes like checking a grocery list or rearranging Scrabble tiles in a tray are close enough to memory-retrieval or problem-solving tasks that happen entirely inside the brain that proponents argue they are actually part of a single, larger, “extended” mind.

http://www.entsoc.org/PDF/2010/Orb-weaving-spiders.pdf

As an interagency team with expertise in arachnology, urban entomology, and structural pest management, we were unprepared for the sheer scale of the spider population and the extraordinary masses of both three-dimensional and sheet-like webbing that blanketed much of the facility's cavernous interiors. Far greater in magnitude than any previously recorded aggregation of orb-weavers, the visual impact of the spectacle was nothing less than astonishing.

[There are probably like a fuckin hundred million spiders here] based on numbers of individuals from volumetric (flange columns) and laminar (ceiling sheet) webbing samples applied to an estimated 4,162.14 m3 of volumetric webbing and 8,922.42 m2 of laminar webbing.

Since increased foraging success appears to be the evolutionary driver for much of spider sociality (Whitehouse & Lubin 2005), it is unsurprising that local prey abundance frequently appears to be the basis for facultative aggregating behavior by otherwise non-social species, although several factors relating to conspecific attraction may also be responsible...

Inasmuch as typical orb webs are famous as solitary constructs that achieve their purpose with a minimum of time, energy, and material (Shear 1986, Foelix 1996), it is somewhat incongruous that species such as L. sclopetarius and T. guatemalensis are capable of collectively producing massive outputs of shared, three-dimensional silk that are the exact opposite of the spare, planar, radially-symmetric orbs these spiders create as individuals in most circumstances.

The “Back River Arachnotopia” (as we referred to it in our educational material furnished to the plant managers) thus highlights the utility of aquacentric structures as accessible research sites where the dynamics of predictable spider hyperabundance can be closely examined under relatively comfortable conditions.

miles and miles of spiders

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4442900/Ex-FBI-Director-James-Comey-s-memos.pdf fun times

shriekingviolet posted:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4442900/Ex-FBI-Director-James-Comey-s-memos.pdffun times

"Let's jail some journalists until they are raped into giving up their sources" wish I was more surprised by that

Constantignoble posted:

spiders

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-thoughts-of-a-spiderweb-20170523/

argued in a review paper, published in the journal Animal Cognition, that a spider’s web is at least an adjustable part of its sensory apparatus, and at most an extension of the spider’s cognitive system.

This would make the web a model example of extended cognition, an idea first proposed by the philosophers Andy Clark and David Chalmers in 1998 to apply to human thought. In accounts of extended cognition, processes like checking a grocery list or rearranging Scrabble tiles in a tray are close enough to memory-retrieval or problem-solving tasks that happen entirely inside the brain that proponents argue they are actually part of a single, larger, “extended” mind.

http://www.entsoc.org/PDF/2010/Orb-weaving-spiders.pdf

As an interagency team with expertise in arachnology, urban entomology, and structural pest management, we were unprepared for the sheer scale of the spider population and the extraordinary masses of both three-dimensional and sheet-like webbing that blanketed much of the facility's cavernous interiors. Far greater in magnitude than any previously recorded aggregation of orb-weavers, the visual impact of the spectacle was nothing less than astonishing.

based on numbers of individuals from volumetric (flange columns) and laminar (ceiling sheet) webbing samples applied to an estimated 4,162.14 m3 of volumetric webbing and 8,922.42 m2 of laminar webbing.

Since increased foraging success appears to be the evolutionary driver for much of spider sociality (Whitehouse & Lubin 2005), it is unsurprising that local prey abundance frequently appears to be the basis for facultative aggregating behavior by otherwise non-social species, although several factors relating to conspecific attraction may also be responsible...

Inasmuch as typical orb webs are famous as solitary constructs that achieve their purpose with a minimum of time, energy, and material (Shear 1986, Foelix 1996), it is somewhat incongruous that species such as L. sclopetarius and T. guatemalensis are capable of collectively producing massive outputs of shared, three-dimensional silk that are the exact opposite of the spare, planar, radially-symmetric orbs these spiders create as individuals in most circumstances.

The “Back River Arachnotopia” (as we referred to it in our educational material furnished to the plant managers) thus highlights the utility of aquacentric structures as accessible research sites where the dynamics of predictable spider hyperabundance can be closely examined under relatively comfortable conditions.

miles and miles of spiders

there's a genus of jumping spider called Portia that exhibits advanced learning and problem solving behaviour on the level of some vertebrates, they're really cool

Here is a pompous article by a wobbly who thinks antifa is liberalism, and a rather good response from an anarchist I respect.

Petrol posted:

Here is a pompous article by a wobbly who thinks antifa is liberalism, and a rather good response from an anarchist I respect.

Seems like they're both wrong. Since they can't imagine a party which is capable of systematic change and preventing fascism through its presence (for example in Greece where the longtime strength of communism has made universities a stromghold of leftism and enshrined that right in the constitution) they instead defend policies they know are incomplete. The first guy basically argues for reformism and dismisses the reality of fascism as merely symptomatic. That's true in a sense, if the communist party was powerful in student unions fascists would never show their face on campuses without the need for "antifa" organizations, but without that his solutions are basically praying to the state and vague feel-good statements like "community empowerment."

The other guy is right that fascusm is a particular movement which sometimes opposes the liberal state, which can be used to suppress it concretely instead of as mere symptom. He's also right that antifa does real things and has real accomplishments. But these are the hallmarks of anarchist liberalism. Once the possibility of systematic change is foreclosed, the "practice of "everyday life" becomes an end in and of itself, unaware that not only does liberalism compete for the same ground with infinitely more resources, this NGOization of politics has already devoured that strategy decades ago. The response in the comments is right, beyond the concrete limitations of antifa the anarchist guy promotes "awareness" since there combatting of structural problems is not actually linked with antifa in any way (the word used is "promoting" which is telling of the strategic linkage between antifa organizational forms and anarchist concepts of political work).

reading marxie shit which always goes at one point "now before we can blah blah blah we need to define some terms" then goes on for fucking reams, glossary that shit, do not show your workings

lo posted:

there's a genus of jumping spider called Portia that exhibits advanced learning and problem solving behaviour on the level of some vertebrates, they're really cool

last year i read a science fiction book called children of time that was about an accidentally uplifted species of portia spiders. was definitely a little hacky in the way science fiction often is, but it was cool and i liked it. there was a whole sideline about what a gender liberation movement looks like when you're a member of a species where one gender traditionally devours the other that was pretty well done, and it had a good ending

[account deactivated]

TISM posted:

All lives have to die, of that there's no help
My favorite way to end 'em
Is the orb-weaver spider's, whose pedipalp
Enters the female's pudendum

Then dies on the spot, his corpse there still stuck
Left for his rivals to curse it
He would rather die than not get to fuck
Personally, I reckon it's worth it

Petrol posted:

Here is a pompous article by a wobbly who thinks antifa is liberalism

that article is the net result of decades of university courses abusing terms like "systemic" to teach "middle-class" kids that deliberate, open, violent racism doesn't exist anymore. and Ironically, so is the second renaissance of the "middle-class" junior Nazi street rally

babyhueypnewton posted:

The first guy basically argues for reformism and dismisses the reality of fascism as merely symptomatic.

I think what underpins her article is maybe even a little worse than that. Up until extremely recently, it's been the ruling ideology for years among the sub-bourgeois, university-educated classes in the West, and especially among white, "polite" company in the West, that violent, deliberate, self-aware racism is nothing more than a fringe problem to be exploited on the margins for illustrative purposes, as a story about, for instance, the dubious hobbies of conservative politicians, or as a counterpoint to the self—a rickety psychological self-defense against those classes' own precarious economic positions. The wise college-educated liberal bows their head and says, "My racism is so deep within me, no one can tell I'm racist at all until I explain it to them."

In this view of the world, the "real" problem of racial and ethnic oppression is "systemic" (sans system), invisible, unconscious, communicated in classroom thought exercises about standing in line to buy fast food; it is nothing so crude in 2018 as a white nationalist army blasting Arab and Muslim people to pieces with bombs and bullets, white supremacist terrorist cells growing on military bases both in the West and abroad; it's nothing so "individual", so personal, as white police clocking time raping and murdering black children, then framing them with planted weapons to cover up their crimes before heading to the local KKK rally, while their military counterparts match them step for step, day after day, overseas. And it was a pretty easy sell, that level of denial, until just a couple years ago.

I think one reason that level of violent, "individualized" (read: realized) racism still can't be acknowledged by a lot of people on the academic "left" is because, on average, the more time any one member of those university-educated classes spends in a classroom learning about the superiority of concern for "systemic" racism (sans system, that is, sans Marxism), the more likely that person is to enter into a career of facilitating direct racist violence abroad through the firepower of the state, even if it's just through passing that ideology down to the next batch of students who will take a more direct hand themselves.

If you are reading e.g. a lot of Fanon in grad school in the West, you are—at least in your mind as a student while lying awake at night—probably on your way to a "color revolution"-fomenting NGO gig, a federal position at State or in imperialist "economic development", or down a tenured university track teaching what you've been taught... or, you're headed toward recurrent unemployment and the perceived impotence of day-to-day economic instability. ("Perceived", because in the context of a different class, instability can turn out anything but impotent.) Even when talking in terms of those students living out the lives of refugees from a brutally well-disciplined "white collar" labor market, I'm putting aside how often you see "middle-class" Westerners pulling a few years in the military first and turning it into a poli sci or even "political philosophy" degree, and from there into gunning for a steady writing job in some imperialist liberal outlet such as Vox or VICE.

So when I see a whiffed ball this dire:

Antifa is liberalism insofar as its adherents, through both their criticisms and their tactics, want to draw our attention away from systemic problems and towards individual behavior. It primarily addresses racism in terms of the virulent thoughts or attitudes in the mind of the racist (say, the neo-Nazi), and their aberrant behavior, rather than systemic forms of race- and class-based domination and exploitation.

...it comes across as the incarnate liberal doctrine of the sole importance of pseudo-"systemic" racism, now faced with the evidence to dethrone it—proof in the form of blatant, cruel violence on the street outside—and asserting, in panic, that none of that's real, that it doesn't exist, that it's a sin to even acknowledge it, much less combat it, because that doctrine, the doctrine of the supremacy of "invisible" racism, is a nervous, fretting, uncomfortable, but real class ally of racist violence itself.

that kersplebedeb article where its just a thread of emails between sakai and bromma where theyre chatting shit about imperialism and communism and the general idiocy of rthe imperialist "left"

tears posted:

that kersplebedeb article where its just a thread of emails between sakai and bromma where theyre chatting shit about imperialism and communism and the general idiocy of rthe imperialist "left"

link me holmes

http://kersplebedeb.com/posts/exchange-on-thoughts/
I don't know anything about genomics except from one class I took in college, but I've been reading about the phylogeny of HIV and lentiviruses and general. I thought this was interesting:

RELIK at the top is the most primitive known lentivirus, at least 12 million years old. Luckily for us it found its way into the rabbit germline and became immortalized in its genome (hence the "endogenous" in its name). RELIK's own genome just encodes a couple of the most essential regulatory and structural genes that allow it to replicate. Fast forward to HIV-1, SIVcpz, etc, and these lentiviruses have developed several new genes from successively overprinting on top of old ones. Mammals have sophisticated and rapidly evolving innate "host restriction factors" that block retroviral replication, and those novel lentivirus genes encode what are, in turn, highly host-specific viral antagonists that inhibit those restriction factors.
http://www.cell.com/cell-host-microbe/fulltext/S1931-3128(10)00207-6
chairperson "mouse" zedong
*thinking* relik is killer spelled backwards
Just starting Mobo Gao's "Battle for China's Past". Was lucky to find a paper copy at Oxfam, seems it's pretty much out of print
I read imperialism in the 21st century updating lenins theory a century later by the party for socialism and liberation (psl) which i found depressingly...not...wrong....but like weak, through omission and a lack of any real discussion about "late" neocolonialism beyond the wars, like no discussion of the transformation of classes. probably most irritating to me because it reads like something i would have written a year ago before i caught a heavy case of maoism

Caesura109 posted:

guys im rethinking this whole communism thing
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/columnists/2007/11/03/a_comeback_for_the_great_man_theory.html

Amazing

"karl marx did it because he had a sore butt" is the pinacle of liberal culture, put it on the wall in an museum

How can I contract this illness?
bend over

tears posted:

I read imperialism in the 21st century updating lenins theory a century later by the party for socialism and liberation (psl) which i found depressingly...not...wrong....but like weak, through omission and a lack of any real discussion about "late" neocolonialism beyond the wars, like no discussion of the transformation of classes. probably most irritating to me because it reads like something i would have written a year ago before i caught a heavy case of maoism

i wanted to wait until i had the book in front of me to make sure i wasn't misremembering but yeah, i agree

i feel like the title oversells it; it's less of an "updating" and more of a reissue plus a long introduction for the reader in ~2015. i bought it expecting a lot more in the way of number crunching, for sure. better off finishing john smith for that, i guess

silver lining: at least now i have a paper copy of the original

i think my problem of it is that for all its "update", really its stuck in a sort of time loop from the point where the 1960s-70s national liberation struggles added all that good theory to marxism that most "marxists" still ignore anyway; thats all geat stuff, but it hasn't taken it beyond this really - no talk about what a mass removal or parasitic benefits in the core will actually mean. Or what a rise in quality of life to a limited strata across the world in the neocolonial phase will actually do, and has already done. Or the intergrationist strategy being pursued across (some) settler states like the US, as well as old european countries. Or what the feminisation trend in labour will mean, not even a mention of it that i remember. Or even a mention let alone an analysis of what a mass movement from the countryside to the cities means for now and the future. Like i would much rather read about all of that in the context of imperialism rather than an "update" which is really a look back at how the theory of this dude a 100 years ago was so good its still correct even today and also he led a revolution that frickkin owned, nice but not a theoretical update

like friend you are reading us old textbooks, they're good but maybe theres also some new conditions out there perhaps some other applications of marxist science to look at outside idk
also i want this book: http://kersplebedeb.com/posts/insurgent-supremacists/

Edited by tears ()

lorenzoae's article: The Mainstream and the Margins: Noam Chomsky vs. Michael Parenti is an excellent takedown of Chomsky. for the longest time i considered Chomsky to be the utmost expert of US foreign policy but over time i've realized that just being an anti-imperialist doesn't mean you have good politics elsewhere. while i knew he wasn't fond of the USSR I didn't realize the extent of his anti-communist views until this article. beyond supporting electoral lesser-evilism, he has parroted the US state department's propaganda during the wars in Libya and Syria about "brutal dictators" and the need for rebels to "liberate" the states and other garbage. furthermore, the article points out that Chomsky considers failed revolutions to be genuine and successful ones to be rightward or fascist which aligns him once again with western media. while Parenti can give uplifting facts about socialist states, Chomsky is reduced to advocating for vague activism somewhere somehow. Chomsky appears to be a very fluid fellow who can change between being an anarchist, social democratic, or liberal in a moments notice. i always wondered how a man as well known as him could "criticize" the empire without being assassinated or pushed to the margins, i guess i have my answer now.
[account deactivated]

Synergy posted:

sorry if repost

and the english translation of torkil lauesens the global perspective is published soon too: http://kersplebedeb.com/posts/the-global-perspective-reflections-on-imperialism-and-resistance/