the times of london, the global standard of newspapers. digging to the bottom of the barrel. saw this in the grocery store and actually laughed out loud

Al Jazeera English >> Explainer: What is the MEK, the Iranian opposition group?
I was expecting him to say all this orneriness risks provoking a backlash but that would run counter to his argument that Americans are becoming more accepting over the long term, which seems true to me, so he just drones on with all this tut-tutting for 5,500 words.

Gay bars and other physical hangouts are vanishing across America, not only due to dating apps taking their place as mediums of human connection, but because the very idea of a bar specifically catering to one sexual orientation is becoming obsolete.

"Vanishing across America." Am friends with someone who owns a gay bar here so I get the scoop (some real gumshoe journalism which you'll only find here at the rhizzone) and business isn't growing in the neighborhood but it isn't shrinking either. It's at a stable, self-sustaining equilibrium. One thing I've noticed is more straight people calling themselves queer and a recognition that gay bars can be more fun and chilled out, and I'm fine if they call themselves that if it means straight men chill out a bit and be less aggro. I think it will help them be less threatening to women and more attractive to women and that is a good thing, because despite my initial skepticism about this trend I want them to know that I want them to be happy, and that I care.

But I suspect men becoming more queer and less aggro fills Jamie with dread because there has never been a war he didn't like, since his conclusion in the article seems to be that we need to put all this complainin' aside and get onboard for another crusade. If you actually talk to LGBT activists from these targeted countries though, it may come as a surprise to some but the last thing they want is "rainbow imperialism" or American bombs falling on them for gay rights. This reminds me of the India thread because I've heard from activists there that the Hindutva right plays this game where it buddies up with the U.S., buys weapons, furthers the neoliberalization of the economy etc. while simultaneously playing to nationalist / chauvinist domestic politics about LGBT rights being a Western plot to undermine traditional values. In practice this results in queer teenagers wandering down the wrong street and getting gangraped by fascists.

I think what's probably happening is that dating apps are taking the place of gay bar tourism among visiting fellows at the Brookings Institution
Seems unwise to build the ultimate arsonist's challenge in the capital city of your country. IMO.
going to inflict massive damage on the bourgeois by peeing in the fancy water
i do think itd be cool to have a bunch of tap waters on.. tap so that folks can experience the variety of safe drinking waters from across the continent and beyond. the proper venue for this is a museum dedicated to water and sampling should be gratis. however the serving staff should be unpaid conscripts derived from the clientele of that fucking water bar

ialdabaoth posted:

i do think itd be cool to have a bunch of tap waters on.. tap so that folks can experience the variety of safe drinking waters from across the continent and beyond. the proper venue for this is a museum dedicated to water and sampling should be gratis. however the serving staff should be unpaid conscripts derived from the clientele of that fucking water bar

I knew ialdabaoth would have a spicey take on the water bar. 'I oughta both' is our resident water-liker.

remeber to drink ur fluoridated tap water
Chileans still riot in the streets of Santiago over the country’s privatized water industry, how it took them from one of the best water qualities in the region to drinking heavy-metal-mining runoff and chemical fertilizers while climate change destroys the original supply, seasonal melt from the mountains. This was one of the main ZNet obsessions back when I was an anarchoteen and if anything, the situation has gotten much worse since then for everyone north of the Bio-Bio.

Meanwhile yes this hole in District of CIA will literally sell you Patagonian tap water for 25 bucks a half pint.
ideas for burning down the Water Bar:

* Class B/D combo, alkali flakes dispersed in containerized petroleum suspension, supplemented by conventional ignition of Class A structure fire from ground level or lower
* drop a nuclear bomb on Washington, supplemented by dropping dozens of nuclear bombs on Washington
* friction alone
by friction alone i set my mind in motion
that should make it burn easier
the problem with comparing rich people to poor people is its like apples and oranges - tom from the great gatsby
LMAO
Jim Crow -> galaxy brain -> “the United States needed some extra time to develop laws that value equality”
We are working on valuing equality. It’s in the works. Doing some trials at the moment and with the new formula uppityness has been reduced 17%. Caution: equality at work. Bless this mess and Heil Hitler
i'm flicking through these old Thames TV reels from the iran revolution & war, and CNN correspondent Raji Samghabadi (later implicated in the Iran-Contra affair) is just the dopiest left-liberal. really endearing

https://russia-insider.com/en/history/stalin-would-have-reached-paris-allies-if-not-incredible-heroism-waffen-ss/ri27499?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sovnarkoman posted:

https://russia-insider.com/en/history/stalin-would-have-reached-paris-allies-if-not-incredible-heroism-waffen-ss/ri27499?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

too funny for this thread

i started scrolling thinking it was satire and it just kept going
[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

the article says 6 million german communists resisted hitler but that figure sounds exaggerated

kinch posted:

i started scrolling thinking it was satire and it just kept going

the whole site is real bad

“The Irish Savant” is one of those “Angry Gamer”-type names that always makes me lol

kornfan posted:

The Irish Savant” is one of those “Angry Gamer”-type names that always makes me lol

my favourite in the genre: the greek analyst

Mods change my name to “The Fourthmeal Libertarian”

kornfan posted:

Mods change my name to “The Fourthmeal Libertarian”

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/22/1519-project-spanish-explorers-ended-mass-murdering-cult/

sovnarkoman posted:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/22/1519-project-spanish-explorers-ended-mass-murdering-cult/

You know you're unpopular when your vassals would rather side with smelly greedy genocidal foreigners than yourself.
jumping off the ropes naked into the terminator time machine to elbow drop columbus over the side of the santa maria