le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i think it would be sick as fuck to have a half asian five year old girl doing reps of the bar on the bench press; yet, my cuck soulmate is like "that's weird and dangerous,"

Stick to pullups and pushups.. maybe pilates

TG posted:

chickeon posted:

TG it could very well be that you're over-training, which isn't a problem a lot of people have, and is like the easiest thing to fix if it turns out to be the case. That kind of discipline and dedication is great and withh a bit of adjustment you should be making great gains

interesting, this thought had not occurred to me. would you recommend cutting down on reps per exercise, so maybe just 12, 10, 8, or exercises per muscle group?

the latter, or else increase recovery time. if you drop to three sets id increase the weight proportionally maybe. if you're ever really stuck strengthwise on a given exercise you should go for high weight less rep for a while and then work on getting the number of reps back up at either the same weight or slowly increasing

Petrol posted:

i am a fat guy who wants to have more energy to keep up with my kid who wears me out and he's not even walking yet. but i dont really care about optimal fitness regimes or whatever so my solution will simply be eat a bit better and walk more now that the weather's improving. thanks for reading.

oh fuck off with your "British Fat". like a "Milwaukee 8". i've seen things you people wouldn't believe

I'm mad online that I didn't follow this ref with "time to diet"

I think i found a reliable source of something like this so... might be able to quit smoking. I squirt out .1g onto my right abductor pollicis brevis, transfer it to my lingual septum, then go run. It makes the first mile harder and the rest easier. imo.
Karfead i checked out your food calculator and it says 145g protein recommended every day so I looked up all the protein contents of my recent food routine, learned that I could cut the protein bar and i'm still getting ~158g a day never more than 40g at a time. Nice i said to myself. But then I put my calorie intake together and its like 1750 a day... which can't be possible right? I don't feel weak or starved and my activity level is normal. So wtf

I am probably somewhere between moderate and very. Am i going to have a heart attack
e: i guess I also eat 2 piece fruit

Edited by swampman ()

there's almost certainly more than 320 calories in that first meal, might be a low count on some of that other stuff too. no idea what "super food" is so maybe there's some hiding in there too. youd definitely be losing weight w/ <1800 and that activity level
you're not gonna have a heart attack unless you have some kind of prexisting heart problem. sounds like you're just operating at around peak efficiency so uh good work
I'm shaving my shoulders. I'm gettin it all shaved off

swampman posted:

I don't feel weak or starved and my activity level is normal.

catchphrase

i was thinking about buying a clicker and giving myself a click every time i eat something sweet and train myself to salivate and get hungry. will update..
i never used that food calc and i've always been bad with planning my diet. if that's your thing, this guy does it pretty well: SEKRIT PDF FILE
Thanks for the resources but that particular link doesnt work. But thanks.
i need to rebuild my webserver as well as my core strength apparently, try this

swampman posted:

the point is that in any case this is not "real" weight you have gained and will be entirely gone within a few days. and the swings are actually minimal, "gaining" three pounds on a given day may seem like a big hiccup, but it's probably a fluctuation of less than 2% of your body weight. even if you have a serious binge day, you'll probably only eat maybe one or two pounds' worth of calories above your average.

Bodyweight is nearly as bad as IQ in terms of direct measure of an actual human quality. So even though nutrition and hydration have a more direct effect on your body fat, measurable exercise is vital just so that you have a concept of progress outside of your "ideal" body shape.

actually, Actually, actually, act you ally: proper nutrition is more important for losing weight than exercise except perhaps in maringal instances where you are running 10+ miles daily

let's say you run 3 miles at a ten minute mile in decent shape. this constitutes roughly 600 calories depending on your weight. a pound is 3500 calories. you burned maybe 500, maybe 700, whatever. this is the equivalent of one human meal, or 1/3 an american meal
i'm re-reading GainingMuscleMass.pdf and his intro where he mentions CONSISTENCY is absolutely the most important part of figuring out your program. i eventually bought a half-rack so i could work out at home. i ain't never seen a gymbro and i ain't ever gonna either.

Red_Canadian posted:

my workout motto is "strong like the viet cong". certainly you gain strength faster, gain bulk faster, with a good diet, lots of protein, but then your body needs that to maintain that. american soldiers were much larger and stronger on an individual basis, but it's the viet cong that were subsiding on rice and sparse veggies, carrying heavy packs through the jungle instead of flying it in.
guerrilla warfare can not guarantee constant food supply. i'd rather a body that was wiry and didn't require massive quantities of meat or protein shakes to avoid feeling weak.

ive been kind of intrigued by this & looking into it but basically this has more to do with genetics and muscle fiber type and how well your body can digest things like rice. one of the reasons the US troops were not eating the full amount of rations in nam was cause it was all canned and heavy as fuck, where as viet cong would just carry dried rice that was really light & could be boiled & eaten later. from personal experience as a caucasian i cannot subsist on rice i literally can barely digest the stuff

parabolart posted:

Red_Canadian posted:

my workout motto is "strong like the viet cong". certainly you gain strength faster, gain bulk faster, with a good diet, lots of protein, but then your body needs that to maintain that. american soldiers were much larger and stronger on an individual basis, but it's the viet cong that were subsiding on rice and sparse veggies, carrying heavy packs through the jungle instead of flying it in.
guerrilla warfare can not guarantee constant food supply. i'd rather a body that was wiry and didn't require massive quantities of meat or protein shakes to avoid feeling weak.

ive been kind of intrigued by this & looking into it but basically this has more to do with genetics and muscle fiber type and how well your body can digest things like rice. one of the reasons the US troops were not eating the full amount of rations in nam was cause it was all canned and heavy as fuck, where as viet cong would just carry dried rice that was really light & could be boiled & eaten later. from personal experience as a caucasian i cannot subsist on rice i literally can barely digest the stuff

i dont think this is the best way to look at it. for one, i doubt US troops in the 1960s/70s were eating anything close to an "optimal diet" -- certainly not the 1 gram of protein / lb lean bodyweight that bodybuilders recommend.

it's not that the Viet Cong "taught their bodies how to survive on low protein" or anything like that. it's that the human body is capable of an astounding degree of adaptations when it's forced to. considering that the Vietnamese, an underdeveloped nation where most people did farm work and manual labor their whole lives, and had been fighting more advanced colonial armies for 30+ years, it's not surprising that they adapted to carry 50lbs of equipment for miles in the jungle -- because the alternative was dying. humans will adapt to a lot of things, even if they're suboptimal, when the alternative is getting bayoneted by a Japanese soldier or napalmed by B52s.

i see no reason why the Viet Cong wouldn't have done even better had they received better nutrition. and if the Americans fared worse despite their better nutrition and physiques, perhaps its because a few weeks of Army basic training were not enough to turn a generation of suburban accountants' sons into the equals of the most battle-hardened irregular force in the world

"Viet Cong"?
hot like pol pot, thin like the viet minh
check this stupid shit out

i don't know what my trainer is going to have me do each week so the next day I work on whatever we missed. Then for the second round of training / anti-training I smooth out the difference to more upper vs lower body focus.
Coffee is a shot of espresso and a spoonful of coconut oil taken immediately before the workout. Takeout is from this Indian place down the street.
It's fun to plan but hard to follow through; but I'm barreling through the first low carb phase feeling a fucking lot better than I did on sandwich regime. This is easier because I can eat freely while I work. My plan is to run through this for two weeks, then set up two weeks of much higher calorie intake and less intense carb cycling.
Any advice would be welcomed, by someone!

Edited by swampman ()

How do you not just give up and get taco bell on the second day

tears posted:

hot like pol pot, thin like the viet minh

when you think about it pol pot was an excellent personal trainer since almost the entire cambodian population lost weight when he was in power

hey guys, my team of personal trainers and dieticians is suggesting i do this, what do you think? love the marxpostin
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

mediumpig posted:

How do you not just give up and get taco bell on the second day

I'm in a super gentrified part of Brookln so that gives a lot of advantages. For example the nearest full sized supermarket from me is 3.5 blocks away, if I'm not ready to prepare something I can go get like a quarter pound of chicken salad. they make 4 kinds. Whereas the nearest taco bell is 9 blocks away in a direction I don't go.

Getting the breakfast and water routines established made me feel good enough to start ignoring the junk food urges. Drinking a glass of water whenever i'm hungry really was effective - a lot of my "hunger" is motivated by dehydration. Also having the supermarket close allows me to keep a huge variety in my diet. My research turned up thousands of diets with like 2 different vegetables and a daily 2+ scoops protein powder, fuck that buffoonery. Tonight I'm eating tilapia which I smeared with mustard before searing and baking, atop steamed cauliflower, avocado, sunflower seeds, and balsamic vinaigrette, all of it ruined by this overpowering hot sauce, with some raw mushrooms on the side. I probably spend too much time buying and cooking food but who cares.

One thing to note is that I'm focused on my long run as the most serious workout of my week.. my lifting is pretty disorganized and doesn't tend to exhaust me. If I was sticking to one of the lift routines posted in this thread i probably would have to cut a couple runs at least.

Taco bell isn't even that bad though, they still make the 7 layer burrito right? I might fold that little miracle food in to my high carb weeks

drwhat posted:

hey guys, my team of personal trainers and dieticians is suggesting i do this, what do you think? love the marxpostin

I just have the one gym servant, whom I will have executed when my arm is fully healed

ive been doing carb cycling but instead of carb weeks ive been doing high and low carb years and decades
are you really speculating about what the viet cong ate to get lean muscle.
we all agreed that they ate taco bell
if you don't undertstand how the north vietnamese forces routed the amerikan's vastly larger but non-professional military viea strategic denial of fourthmeal then you have no hope in the struggles ahead
does anybody wanna play some soccer and then grab some simple carbohydreates after?
yes
getting gene therapy to become a half Viet Cong thanks to the bio truths itt. going to multiclass druid while I'm redoing my character sheet

roseweird posted:

hope u enjoy your fartleks swampman

I always do hills instead... I like fartlek but I never feel like I pushed myself hard enough

so I woke up with lower back pain yesterday morning, which happens every 8 or 9 months for me. can't tell if it's cause of the sweet back/core/chest day I did tuesday or the hour I spent mountain biking on saturday. either way getting older sucks. if it persists past the weekend I may go to the chiropractor
why not see a physio or a masseur? if you're going to a chiro you might as well throw a bunch of money at a rando and get them to kick you in the back
Hell,
yah ive found that its largely bs but the 10-15% that isnt seems to help. ive had a massage in this situation before and it did nothing. one trip to the chiro worked wonders and i managed to fight off the necessary two hundred followup appointments