https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/09/sec-sues-elon-musk-fraud-seek-bar-permanently-executive-board-role-public-company.html
so i guess ill be the person to post about the SEC settlement. seems like elon was convinced to take the settlement he initially rejected. he steps down as chair and he/tesla pays $40m. note that he retains his CEO position, board seat and stock holdings.

of all the press flurry about the lawsuit, my fave article is this from wired, which rather baldly lays out the case in favour of letting elon off the hook: he's a serial liar, and also crazy! but somehow thats just what we need. innovate & disrupt

but.. he didn't found tesla. he was an early investor who ultimately forced out the actual founders, but not before suing them to make them call him a co-founder
there's nothing innovative about tweeting while frying people have been doing that 4 years

This does seem like a very good outcome for Tesla as a whole, as one way or another the shareholders will choose the new chairman. Musk has clearly been stretched thin of late; far better to let someone else do the desperate fundraising while Elon can now spend only 80 hours a week running Tesla.

Did you pick up some more TSLA Friday? I'm feeling good about my new 100 shares.

How to make sctock price scam legaly without getting into trouble with SEC? Make SEC do it for you! Let them kick you out, you and your allies buy shares for 150 instead 420+, and once Tesla is private, come back through the front door..

Elon has been unwise, but it will be a very sad day for the USA if the SEC stops one of the greatest entrepreneurs the USA has seen for some time from heading a business in the US, there should be a lesser deterrent for this, many others have done far worse than what Elon has done and got of with a punitive fine, The SEC job is to protect investors yet if they pursue this to the extent they want, for some reason it looking very biased in my opinion, It will be doing the USA a disservice, the only people that stand to gain in the short term will be the ‘short’ sellers that appear to have wanted Tesla to fail from the start as do some of the oil industry and other car manufacturers, while it destroys Tesla and the 'true' investors. If they stop Elon from being a CEO of Tesla I suggest the punishment is not proportional, the people the SEC will hurt the most will be the American people in the long run.

I think about how Elon has risked everything—every penny he’s ever made, so many hours of sleep, his marriages, so much time with his boys—all for the betterment of humanity.
Today is an especially sad day for America in a sad era for America. And I say that as a military veteran who once pledged to give my life for this country that I love, but love less and less each day.
I sit here, with a large portion of my life savings sitting in TSLA. And as I think about that, I think about what is right. And I come to only one conclusion. I’m all in and will remain so. I believe Elon will be cleared of having any fraudulent motives. I believe redemption will come. And I believe Tesla will continue to prosper. I believe this because my own moral compass tells me that Elon is ultimately not in the moral or ethical wrong here. To me, that is worth everything.

The amount of transparent propagandizing against this company, Elon Musk, and the very concept of truth and rule of law in this thread is beyond the pale.

All-out war has been declared against all of the above, using the SEC's brazenly corrupt actions as a pretext, and I really hope this sub has the courage to enforce some basic standards of reality-based discussion.

xipe posted:

this was maybe the first time i ever saw the clown phrase "military community"

great episode, cant wait for the finale
damn i didnt know bernie sanders was an uber driver
chose an avatar!

Petrol posted:

of all the press flurry about the lawsuit, my fave article is this from wired, which rather baldly lays out the case in favour of letting elon off the hook: he's a serial liar, and also crazy! but somehow thats just what we need. innovate & disrupt

talked to my friend's art teacher who drives Uber a couple days a week. his opinion is that Khosrowshahi is fucking the company by jacking up Uber's cut from drivers repeatedly. he went off about how you effectively sign a renegotiated employment contract every time you log in and how it's becoming impossible for the guys who do it for a living to make ends meet, even in places where COL is low. then he talked about how he flew fighter jets for Khomeini's government during the Iran-Iraq War, and now so few people want to be pilots in Europe & the U.S. that the airlines are trying to get him in for job interviews even though he's like three years from retirement age.
[account deactivated]

cars posted:

talked to my friend's art teacher who drives Uber a couple days a week. his opinion is that Khosrowshahi is fucking the company by jacking up Uber's cut from drivers repeatedly. he went off about how you effectively sign a renegotiated employment contract every time you log in and how it's becoming impossible for the guys who do it for a living to make ends meet, even in places where COL is low. then he talked about how he flew fighter jets for Khomeini's government during the Iran-Iraq War, and now so few people want to be pilots in Europe & the U.S. that the airlines are trying to get him in for job interviews even though he's like three years from retirement age.

Apparently flight school costs as much as putting yourself thru college, plus the job involves sitting in a tiny box with another dude for hours on end, no wonder there’s a shortage.

starting pay for a pilot used to be famously bad given all of that too, it's still pretty bad but it'll take decades for the job market to get past those years regardless, because the first thing kids who wanted to be pilots 10-20 years ago did was start reading a pilot's blog, and complaining about how new airline pilots would make better money working at McDonald's was at least 50% of their whole deal
my brother-in-law got his tesla last week and i rode in it yesterday and it was p. cool. pre-tty cool. ama about being a passenger in a new model tesla i don't know shit about cars.
it felt like i was riding an adult sized slot car powered by an iphone
i hate cars
[account deactivated]
prolly, everything was customizable. experienced autopilot for the first time which i have to admit was cool. never be able to trust it fully though.

karphead posted:

i hate cars

same, no mods no masters

those aren't my screenshots. because if they were you better believe i'd show you what Traditional Ordo Templi Orientis has to say about his Tesla stock.
mods please change SpaceX's name to The Jack Parsons Project
as exspecxted the money tightening policies by the federal reserve are fucking shit up big time lol
explain further tears if ya got time. im dumb
its hard to know if this is "it"; there is a possiblility, i dont have much data - but all the financial pages at the moment are shit like:

Morning Brief: Market rout continues, Dow futures down 300 points
Yahoo Finance
•October 11, 2018

basically theres a route going on across the markets, especially in the big tech stocks and were starting to see msm finance editorials like "is this it?" and "dont worry its all fine" - hard to know which way it will swing but this could be the tipping point back down feels like weve just crested a big fucking wave - 2018 has been such a rollercoaster year and the federal reserve pushes to raise interest rates are the monetary equivilent slamming the breaks on the runnaway imperialist overproduction; so basically its stormy with a chance of global depression

$$
forecaster tears

god i hate the media

yahoo finance: Trump: 'The Fed has gone crazy' with interest rate hikes
actual quote: "it’s a correction that we’ve been waiting for for a long time. But I really disagree with what the Fed is doing"

i mean come on that's just.... hes just fucking saying "welp..." as the whole system teeters on collapse - they're evil
yahoo finance is all like

omg, u want to know an awful sign, even the toilet paper makers have been downgraded!
bloomberg is going "yes, everything continues to fall, but we believe it will turn away soon"
i think buissinessinsiders forcast is my favorite:

the interesting thing here is that contrary to the trend since 2008, after the feb spike receded it didnt follow the trend of return to "baseline decay" but flatlined at a slightly higher height, and now its rising again

hopefully u can see what im getting at:

quite cool really
thanks, i hadnt seen the news, browsing some stuff now...
Patiently waiting for US dollar hegemony to collapse
[account deactivated]
i saw an opinion piece called 'Why markets are sliding and who you should blame for it' and number 2 on the list of the people you should blame was 'The Chinese government and its love of theft' lol
the chinese government loves theft but hates mondays
its bumpy; high tension weekend

A trademark application filed by Tesla on Monday seeks to protect the name "Teslaquila" and identifies the product as "distilled agave liquor; Distilled blue agave liquor."

Tesla CEO Musk tweeted about "Teslaquilla" (then spelled using two "l"s) on April 1, 2018, joking that Tesla had gone bankrupt and he had "passed out against a Tesla Model 3, surrounded by 'Teslaquilla' bottles."