the whole region reeks like rotten eggs because of the safety additive they add to natural gas, there's a cloud of it blowing over us from the massive pipeline explosion yesterday. i'll miss these transient little synthetic weather catastrophes
are your taps on fire yet?
i just read two articles on the pipeline explosion and they didn't mention the cause or even alluded to it. what up?

“They had told me there was gas building up in the underground. For some reason or another the gas had stopped flowing and it built up and it just exploded,” Frederick said.

lol

welp

tears posted:

are the buckets filled with jack daniel's ribs suitible for long term storage?

tom can’t get rid of ‘em!

I’m gonna miss anticipating the collapse of society
is that in the present or future tense?

karphead posted:

i just read two articles on the pipeline explosion and they didn't mention the cause or even alluded to it. what up?

once you get to know the kind of people who maintain pipelines, instead of wondering why one pipeline has exploded you will instead wonder at the miracle that all the others aren't constantly blowing up all the time

yeah besides cheap skating on the infrastructure, operational security around pipelines is from the Dark Ages compared to, say, a consumer bank branch. Just Saying.
[account deactivated]
imo they couldn’t catch a damn family of sloths during a coordinated assault because those companies’ “cyber security” is practically nonexistent. I also think you’re majorly overestimating the redundance and hardiness of their physical infrastructure, but that’s just the angle of interest for me there.
I mean yeah pipelines are low-capital, with the lack of security largely coming from companies’ over-confidence in existing measures & the giant fraud machine that is private-sector security auditing, combined with an overall lack of experience in how those measures will work out in practice, but I guess what interests me are potential crises under capitalism, and that’s one in the making imo.
refineres are also not really protected physically. the only reason there hasnt been a major attack at one is because literally nobody gives a shit.
i love walking around underneath a just-installed scrubber and finding footlong 3/4" bolts that have just been vibrated right out of wherever
yeah the point of attack is pipelines, and they're no better
i don't really know about all this propaganda where pipelines are self-healing super-robots. i know that's what the companies that maintain them want people to believe, i guess, and auditors rubber-stamp it.
[account deactivated]
I don't understand the problem here. i love trains.
there are no chlorine pipelines and heaven help us if a need for them existed
[account deactivated]
paging end of cycle thread. end of cycle thread you are needed in collapse of society thread
http://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf Someone needs to tell this chicken lil about Communism

Edited by swampman ()

stegosaurus posted:

i love walking around underneath a just-installed scrubber and finding footlong 3/4" bolts that have just been vibrated right out of wherever

this is more likely than them just being dropped during installation?

anyone else noticed all the floods
yes it is making for some v tempting rent options in floodplains
what about the tap water?
there was a magnitude 4.6 earthquake in my hometown directly linked to fracking a couple weeks ago

tears posted:

what about the tap water?

its all good until the river rises above the water plant

had a 30 minute blackout in my neighbourhood the other day and half of me was happy to light some candles and enjoy the sunset but the other half was in an anxiety spiral over whether i could even make tea without electricity

sparklefeather posted:

had a 30 minute blackout in my neighbourhood the other day and half of me was happy to light some candles and enjoy the sunset but the other half was in an anxiety spiral over whether i could even make tea without electricity

i inherited from my mom a constant irrepressible desire for the whole power grid to go down forever, but also a love of tea, so i relate to this. maybe you could find a used coleman stove or something & keep it around just in case

one of the things i cherish about mali is that no matter when or where you are you can find someone nearby making tea on a charcoal burner to drink and chat with
Hell,

sparklefeather posted:

this why u rent a place with a gas stove so u can still cook even if the electricity goes out as long as u have some matches

the ice in the arctic? at a record low? again? what the fuck! we need you to live!

trakfactri posted:

SNL