le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

when you hear someone bitching apparently in all sincerity about how troops are social pariahs nowadays you should keep this in mind: every single person in the world who is the slightest bit political believes that they are being oppressed and victimized and that their oppression is, if not the worst experienced by almost anybody, at least in some way exceptional. in fact, one could define ones' political leanings by where one points the finger. troops, cops, MRAs, gamers, central park penthouse banker-wives, white supremacists, catholic hardliners, israelis, all claim to be cruelly victimized by totally unfair villains. people are self-absorbed crybaby assholes, the fact that someone claims that they are being oppressed counts for nothing in itself

who are you being oppressed and victimized by

[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

when you hear someone bitching apparently in all sincerity about how troops are social pariahs nowadays you should keep this in mind: every single person in the world who is the slightest bit political believes that they are being oppressed and victimized and that their oppression is, if not the worst experienced by almost anybody, at least in some way exceptional. in fact, one could define ones' political leanings by where one points the finger. troops, cops, MRAs, gamers, central park penthouse banker-wives, white supremacists, catholic hardliners, israelis, all claim to be cruelly victimized by totally unfair villains. people are self-absorbed crybaby assholes, the fact that someone claims that they are being oppressed counts for nothing in itself

who are you being oppressed and victimized by

capitalism and humanity

(Barely choking out hate filled word) nnnnoooormmmiiieesssssss

Keven posted:

(Barely choking out hate filled word) nnnnoooormmmiiieesssssss

This.

I think some people objectively measure their individual suffering against all the different kinds of real and possible suffering, and act appropriately, it may not be in common practice at the moment but it still happens, I just think those people also tend to use twitter less

Palin noted during a political rally in Tulsa that her 26-year-old son had served in Iraq. “My son, like so many others, they come back a bit different. They come back hardened,” she remarked in a video published by Right Wing Watch.
“They come back wondering if there is that respect for what their fellow soldiers and airmen and every other member of the military have given so sacrificially to this country, and that starts at the top,” she explained. “It’s a shame that our military personnel even have to question, have to wonder if they’re respected anymore. It starts from the top. The question, though, it comes from the top, the question, though, that comes from our own president where they have to look at him and wonder, ‘Do you know what we go through? Do you know what we’re trying to do to secure America and to secure the freedoms that have been bequeathed us?'”

“So when my own son is going through what he goes through coming back, I can certainly relate with other families who kind of feel these ramifications of some PTSD and some of the woundedness that our soldiers do return with, and it makes me realize more than ever, it is now or never for the sake of America’s finest that we’ll have that commander in chief who will respect them and honor them,” she added.

[account deactivated]

HenryKrinkle posted:

Palin noted during a political rally in Tulsa that her 26-year-old son had served in Iraq. “My son, like so many others, they come back a bit different. They come back hardened,” she remarked in a video published by Right Wing Watch.
“They come back wondering if there is that respect for what their fellow soldiers and airmen and every other member of the military have given so sacrificially to this country, and that starts at the top,” she explained. “It’s a shame that our military personnel even have to question, have to wonder if they’re respected anymore. It starts from the top. The question, though, it comes from the top, the question, though, that comes from our own president where they have to look at him and wonder, ‘Do you know what we go through? Do you know what we’re trying to do to secure America and to secure the freedoms that have been bequeathed us?'”

“So when my own son is going through what he goes through coming back, I can certainly relate with other families who kind of feel these ramifications of some PTSD and some of the woundedness that our soldiers do return with, and it makes me realize more than ever, it is now or never for the sake of America’s finest that we’ll have that commander in chief who will respect them and honor them,” she added.

read the thread before posting. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

one thing that really surprised me about being involved in politics was that people's opinions on stuff was mostly random. and most people just repeat sound bytes from television and such to make conversation. it's not really political even, it's just like pleasant conversation and a hobby. and this goes even to most members of a party. it's only the staffers that are hyper-aware of little deviations of narrative, and usually because it's like office politics to them, they see their colleagues fucking up or attacking each other through slight changes in voice.

anyway like... i'd talk to liberal party members who were old professionals and they'd be like yeah i hate bush, he detonated those buildings in new york to hide evidence of the bankers controlling the world... or they'd be in a party for like demographic reasons or something and be like... 'yeah i'm a conservative christian... it's a crying shame that seniors get so little money... we need to really expand pensions...' and you'd sort of notice they held policy positions on every single issue contrary to the party but they'd never think of leaving because they are a "conservative".

this is also why most politicians are so bland today i think and talk about being "beyond ideology"... things are so depoliticized and try to suppress class talk so much that politicians feel safe by selling themselves as a sort of generic representative that is good at their job regardless if you agree with them on policy issues. like staffers know they get way more traction and potential for agreement when they say something like "harper is corrupt" instead of like "harper is wrong to cut taxes".

i think one of the good things of like bernie's campaign is that he offers people those sort of simple soundbytes they can use with their friends or at work, like people can say oh yeah the system is rigged or Wall Street are a bunch of crooks. a lot of them probably say stuff like that all the time anyway. and it's good that people can be like yeah that guy is saying true things. i don't know if that's actually how radical left should work though, because it's still in this very limited representative way where you're like hey if bernie wins then things might get better, and the way to help is to help bernie. i don't think that produces the sort of results they'd want.
[account deactivated]
i met a really cute barista named allegra today but i dont think i could date an allergy medicine
i can't imagine being a high-level political operative with some modicum of comprehension who doesn't just have the utmost and most justified contempt for american democracy and voters. it's just unfathomable to me. i mean first you've already got them to buy into this game that's rigged in at least half a dozen distinct ways where the results barely matter. that's before you even do anything. then you show 12 focus group yahoos in a room a thing and if it works on them it will work on baboon gen-pop. "dirty tricks," ephemeral buzzword-laden speeches, and even what's considered legitimate political criticisms. i remember in 2007 when the media narrative that week was Is Obama Experienced Enough?. People who had never thought of this issue once in their life before and could possibly not explain why it was functionally relevant one way or another all of a sudden had very strong and angry opinions on it, opinions that ceased the moment the people on the TV stopped talking about it. how can you look at this happening week after week year after year and think: these people deserve to drive their own destiny
the masses of the colonies/third world own the destiny and we have to learn how to accommodate that somehow. i believe aerdil, in the above post, has put theory to practice

i can't imagine being a high-level political operative with some modicum of comprehension who doesn't just have the utmost and most justified contempt for american democracy and voters. it's just unfathomable to me. i mean first you've already got them to buy into this game that's rigged in at least half a dozen distinct ways where the results barely matter. that's before you even do anything. then you show 12 focus group yahoos in a room a thing and if it works on them it will work on baboon gen-pop. "dirty tricks," ephemeral buzzword-laden speeches, and even what's considered legitimate political criticisms. i remember in 2007 when the media narrative that week was Is Obama Experienced Enough?. People who had never thought of this issue once in their life before and could possibly not explain why it was functionally relevant one way or another all of a sudden had very strong and angry opinions on it, opinions that ceased the moment the people on the TV stopped talking about it. how can you look at this happening week after week year after year and think: these people deserve to drive their own destiny

well because that's already like... a subsection of the middle class you're talking about. the average voter (not even talking about non-voters) thinks or talks about politics (any form) for like seven minutes in a week (for real). so of course most of their opinions are like passing ideas they heard from the news or whatever. the thing is that once you give people a concrete struggle they tend (majority-wise, not everyone) to quickly understand the situation way better than the middle-class politicos. like ask transit workers in a strike their opinion on how the economy works versus the guy in the washington post reporting on it. which is a source of hope.

white people should not be allowed to...children

agreed

this was a bad post

Edited by drwhat ()

aerdil posted:

i met a really cute barista named allegra today but i dont think i could date an allergy medicine

its ok, i don't think you could date a really cute barista either.

good joke but let's respect the fact that aerdil is a known sexhaver here

getfiscal posted:

well because that's already like... a subsection of the middle class you're talking about. the average voter (not even talking about non-voters) thinks or talks about politics (any form) for like seven minutes in a week (for real). so of course most of their opinions are like passing ideas they heard from the news or whatever. the thing is that once you give people a concrete struggle they tend (majority-wise, not everyone) to quickly understand the situation way better than the middle-class politicos. like ask transit workers in a strike their opinion on how the economy works versus the guy in the washington post reporting on it. which is a source of hope.

yeah white first worlders don't understand politics because they don't need to. they might be technically voting against their interests in some specifics but broadly none of the choices available to them are going to make a meaningful difference in their lives, there are no drastic consequences for them so there's no impetus to learn. that doesn't mean they won't think it's the end of the world if the wrong team wins the superelection, but there is of course no causal connection there to anything real.

and the pressure of all these people with a bizarre alienated relationship to the political process warps public discourse creating a desert barren of meaningful information, a huge barrier to learning anything for marginalized people who actually do have an immediate and life-threatening stake in the game. almost as if there's some kind of deliberate strategy at work... REally Makes You Think

getfiscal posted:

good joke but let's respect the fact that aerdil is a known sexhaver here

im planning my pilgrimage to the tomb of the unknown sexhaver

shriekingviolet posted:

aerdil posted:

yikes, i haven't been owned this hard for awhile. well it was fun while it lasted but i dont think i can show me face round these parts anymore, farewell rhizzone

So all those black people voting for Hillary Clinton do in fact, understand politics because it as minorities it makes a meaningful difference in their lives? You might want to think about that thesis a bit.
wow yeah i really should have mentioned something in the second half of my post about how a campaign of mass disinformation and spectacle prevents people with stakes in the political process from engaging with it meaningfully. i really missed a crucial detail there when i wrote about that exact thing in my post that you allegedly read.

aerdil posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

aerdil posted:

yikes, i haven't been owned this hard for awhile. well it was fun while it lasted but i dont think i can show me face round these parts anymore, farewell rhizzone

farewell

PALIN: My son, like so many others—they come back a bit different. They come back hardened. They come back wondering if there is that respect for what it is that their fellow soldiers and airmen and every other member of the military so sacrificially have given to this country. And that starts from the top. It’s a shame that our military personnel have to wonder, have to question if they are respected anymore.

lol of course he was a fucking Troop

And not just any troop, he was also best friends with famous troop Jeremy Morlock who is serving 24 years in military prison for hunting Afghani civilians for sport along with the rest of his unit

lol that his name is Jeremy Morlock
Staff Sergeant Todd Nosferatu was convicted of war crimes today
white people are treated as the default by society so even when we do dumb shit nobody even thinks about it. like it's easy to crack jokes that some anonymous black lady named her kid LaQuandre or some shit but a state governor and vice presidential candidate named her kids Track, Trig, Bristol, Piper and Willow and nobody notices. first, why do you have five kids. from all the blood and puke and screaming i have inferred that the process is somewhat unpleasant. second, here's a quiz, quick, write down five things a human is named. ok. uh. i'll be generous and give full credit for "Willow" and "Piper" since i've heard of people named that although their parents were hippies and not RuPaul Goes Reich. giving us a score of 40%, or F minus. see me after class has withered away
anyway back on topic this whole article is worth reading

http://theweek.com/articles/599577/how-obscure-adviser-pat-buchanan-predicted-wild-trump-campaign-1996

(...)

For decades, people have been warning that a set of policies that really has enriched Americans on the top, and likely has improved the overall quality of life (through cheap consumables) on the bottom, has hollowed out the middle.

Chinese competition really did hammer the Rust Belt and parts of the great Appalachian ghetto. It made the life prospects for men — in marriage and in their careers — much dimmer than those of their fathers. Libertarian economists, standing giddily behind Republican politicians, celebrate this as creative destruction even as the collateral damage claims millions of formerly-secure livelihoods, and — almost as crucially — overall trust and respect in the nation's governing class. Immigration really does change the calculus for native-born workers too. As David Frum points out last year:

The Center for Immigration Studies released its latest jobs study. CIS, a research organization that tends to favor tight immigration policies, found that even now, almost seven years after the collapse of Lehman Brothers, 1.5 million fewer native-born Americans are working than in November 2007, the peak of the prior economic cycle. Balancing the 1.5 million fewer native-born Americans at work, there are two million more immigrants — legal and illegal — working in the United States today than in November 2007. All the net new jobs created since November 2007 have gone to immigrants. Meanwhile, millions of native-born Americans, especially men, have abandoned the job market altogether.

The political left treats this as a made-up problem, a scapegoating by Applebee's-eating, megachurch rubes who think they are losing their "jerbs." Remember, Republicans and Democrats have still been getting elected all this time.

But the response of the predominantly-white class that Francis was writing about has mostly been one of personal despair. And thus we see them dying in middle age of drug overdose, alcoholism, or obesity at rates that now outpace those of even poorer blacks and Hispanics. Their rate of suicide is sky high too. Living in Washington D.C., however, with an endless two decade real-estate boom, and a free-lunch economy paid for by special interests, most of the people in the conservative movement hardly know that some Americans think America needs to be made great again.

In speeches, Trump mostly implies that the ruling class conducts trade deals or the business of government stupidly and weakly, not villainously or out of personal pecuniary motives. But the message of his campaign is that America's interests have been betrayed by fools.

The huge infrastructure of the conservative movement in Washington D.C. is aghast at Trump, and calls him an economic illiterate for threatening China with tariffs. They can't understand that this is not primarily an economic measure, but a nationalist one. It's a signal to voters that one man is here to fight for them, not to school-marmishly tell them that capitalism is helping them when in fact it manifestly helps others a lot more. Trump has attracted his coalition of supporters among those who are the most-weakly attached to the Republican Party as an institution.

(...)

Trump embodies this in nearly every letter. He doesn't have people from the traditional Republican power structure advising him. He doesn't say he'll direct the existing members of the managerial class to make a little tweak here or there; he says he'll send his friend Carl Icahn and threaten China with a tariff wall that could repel a tsunami of cheap goods.

What so frightens the conservative movement about Trump's success is that he reveals just how thin the support for their ideas really is. His campaign is a rebuke to their institutions. It says the Republican Party doesn't need all these think tanks, all this supposed policy expertise. It says look at these people calling themselves libertarians and conservatives, the ones in tassel-loafers and bow ties. Have they made you more free? Have their endless policy papers and studies and books conserved anything for you? These people are worthless. They are defunct. You don't need them, and you're better off without them.

nm
pretty sure plenty of people have made fun of the dumb names sarah palin gave to her kids
look at these people calling themselves libertarians and conservatives, the ones in tassel-loafers and bow ties at think tanks...these people are worthless...defunct

thirdplace posted:

pretty sure plenty of people have made fun of the dumb names sarah palin gave to her kids

that is literally all i remember about the 2008 election cycle. she named her daughter after the town where espn is headquartered! Lol~!

Bristol Bay bitch.
Just so there's no confusion: I'm a conservative nationalist now and I'm voting for trump and God willing in 10-15 years I'll be able to vote for an actual nazi.
bE-DEt85uVU

thirdplace posted:

Wrong. I'm the first one to do this.

[account deactivated]
every day i struggle to appreciate that people have feelings about donald trump