[account deactivated]
i haven't seen the video in question, but i've watched their preeminent one-hour spectacular and it seems as though it's standard IS practice to fade to black before carrying out a beheading or some other over-the-top atrocity. you're probably right to doubt the absolute authenticity of the foley video, but I don't think the fade effect is very significant
On May 14, 2004, it was revealed that Nick Berg had been investigated during the U.S. government's investigation of Zacarias Moussaoui. Berg's email address had been used by Moussaoui prior to the September 11, 2001, attacks. According to Berg's father, Nick Berg had a chance encounter with an acquaintance of Moussaoui on a bus in Norman, Oklahoma. This person had asked to borrow Berg's laptop computer to send an email. Berg gave the details of his own email account and password, which were later used by Moussaoui. The FBI found that Berg had no direct terrorism connections or direct link with Moussaoui.

sounds legit

ilmdge posted:

On May 14, 2004, it was revealed that Nick Berg had been investigated during the U.S. government's investigation of Zacarias Moussaoui. Berg's email address had been used by Moussaoui prior to the September 11, 2001, attacks. According to Berg's father, Nick Berg had a chance encounter with an acquaintance of Moussaoui on a bus in Norman, Oklahoma. This person had asked to borrow Berg's laptop computer to send an email. Berg gave the details of his own email account and password, which were later used by Moussaoui. The FBI found that Berg had no direct terrorism connections or direct link with Moussaoui.

sounds legit

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

why don't we just put it on my blog

I need a little more time to pull my thoughts together but I think I'm starting to write something long-ish and serious about this so yeah, sure

Just want to share a couple of thoughts about how the situation is developing:

• I don't know how this is playing in the US and elsewhere - I think I saw a story in the past day or two about a US jihadi getting killed - but in the UK and Australia there is a huge moral panic now about our citizens going over to join IS and the possibility that they'll come back and do a big terror. The narrative obviously predates the Foley video but the idea that his executioner is British has really helped push things to fever pitch. Suddenly the UK is facing "the greatest terrorist threat in history" and counter-terrorist patrols are about to become a regular sight on city streets. In Australia, new counter-terrorism laws are being proposed along with a huge funding boost for intelligence. Funnily enough, the outgoing head of ASIO has made a point of saying how much he approves of the deluge of IS propaganda republished in local media.

• It's maybe quite significant that Foley was a journalist? We have a situation now where almost all 'news' about IS is actually just reporting their latest propaganda. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any journalism happening within IS territory, unless you count that one VICE video, which, lol. Anyway, my point is, we have no fucking idea what's actually going on there. I do have it on good authority, though, that major foreign-owned resource operations within Iraq are continuing for the most part as normal, in spite of the official line about how dangerous the situation is.

• Props to CNN for conducting an interview with "Mohammed", a Syrian teen with a blurry head and hair-raising tales of an ISIS children's training camp. Far be it for me to suggest that the testimony of an unidentified person in Turkey might be propaganda at its most blatant. For some reason I'm reminded of the Iraq incubators story??

Also, SHAM CENTER lol

Petrol posted:

• I don't know how this is playing in the US and elsewhere - I think I saw a story in the past day or two about a US jihadi getting killed - but in the UK and Australia there is a huge moral panic now about our citizens going over to join IS and the possibility that they'll come back and do a big terror.

same in the U.S. yeah you're right that was the point of the story on the guy who died there, and right now the narrative in the U.S. press is about how we need to make sure we differentiate between the Good Mexicans coming over the border and all the ISIS cells sitting in bars in Agua Prieta waiting around for their big chance when the American returnees send up a smoke signal.

Good to see everyone reading from the same playbook. Similar stuff seems to be going on in some of the other NATO countries too

If I'm right, and IS is part of or has been coopted as a covert western black propaganda campaign, I think it's mostly being run by MI5/MI6. Large contingent of British IS volunteers including the deadly rapper, particularly draconian security theatre now within the UK, even the CNN and VICE reports are being delivered by Brits. Not that British intelligence agents have ever posed as journalists and published propaganda directly through British media before, haha.
lol havent read much of this but it's rly weird http://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/2bqxrq/berlin_cia_station_chief_monitors_hamburg_911/

babyfinland posted:

as we pull away from the hotel, my taxi driver muhammad tells me "they are 100% US-ZIonist tools"

Tom violates Opsec for a reminisce over 'mu hammad' any day. Yes we all love your 'hummud', with a nice warm pita bread & olive oil. Have some decency

libelous_slander posted:

you mean DEES?

Damn.

[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

ok correct me if i'm wrong here but i thought common us government practice when they want to overthrow a government is to arm and fund the opposition and run propaganda for them. not to, uh *flicks through notebook* arm and fund the opposition, run propaganda for them, but also arm and fund a completely different opposition group that spends most of its time fighting their original proxies but also behaves like a gang of literal movie villains, committing massacres against religious minorities and captured soldiers and so on, and also seriously threatening the sovereignty and stability of a nearby us client state, then fake a video of that group executing a us citizen, prompting a massive us intervention against its own proxy, and then use the media to draw tenuous connections between that opposition group and the enemy government *writing in notebook devolves into illegible scribbles* allowing them to attack the government in question under cover of attacking the opposition group that they themselves created. because that would be fucking insane

dialectics

the war nerd talks with mark ames about all the goings on in the middle east

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/d/a/9/da90199a988e85cd/Hour_8e.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06c88e32d6ca540b78&c_id=7566398

discipline posted:

yes it's true there is no news out of the region, the global post is weird spook shit (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/culture-lifestyle/education/130501/globalpost-announces-foundation-supported-initiativ )

the ford foundation has historically been used both as a private donor and as a proxy for CIA funding of anti-communist left publications such as Encounter and The Paris Review

HenryKrinkle posted:

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/why-isis-threat-saudi-arabia-wahhabism%E2%80%99s-deferred-promise

I wanna go thru that article with a red marker & circle things and write "How" and "Show your work" grade-teacherwise. Like this:

The House of Saud fought the religious regimes that emerged after the Arab Spring. They allocated a huge budget to overthrow the Muslim Brotherhood rule in Egypt in order to prevent the emergence of a model of Islamic rule that competes with and undermines the legitimacy of the Saudi regime.

&

A lot of people close to the Saudi regime rejoiced over ISIS’ control of Mosul and its expansion into other Iraqi provinces. Some of them went as far as to describe ISIS’ fighters as “revolutionaries” and to consider what ISIS did as a “liberation movement”. Suddenly, however, the public mood changed dramatically once IS was announced and there was talk of its expansion into the south where the Arabian Peninsula is.

The Saudi authorities were surprised by the level of support for IS among the popular Wahhabi base
, to the extent that electronic campaigns were simultaneously launched that praised the State and pledged allegiance to its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Saudi Arabia discovered that there is an ISIS society dwelling in the midst of the Wahhabi society that it thought it managed and controlled. The House of Saud noted that a Wahhabi resurgence was launched from outside the border this time and it represents the biggest and most dangerous threat faced by the Saudi regime since its inception.

HELLo. McFLY, THINK!! hELLO

C- See me after class

Crow posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/why-isis-threat-saudi-arabia-wahhabism%E2%80%99s-deferred-promise

Suddenly, however, the public mood changed dramatically once IS was announced and there was talk of its expansion into the south where the Arabian Peninsula is.

The idea that IS will make any gains south of Kurdistan is laughable. Sure, once they finish conquering the green zone they'll just hop on their magic carpets and next stop, Mecca

Crow posted:

in re: Saudi Arabia and the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood.

the Saudis aren't currently fans of the MB and have sent massive amounts of aid to Egypt after the coup by Sisi. in fact this anti-MB stance has gotten them into a tiff with pro-MB Gulf states like Qatar.

HenryKrinkle posted:

Crow posted:

in re: Saudi Arabia and the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood.

the Saudis aren't currently fans of the MB and have sent massive amounts of aid to Egypt after the coup by Sisi. in fact this anti-MB stance has gotten them into a tiff with pro-MB Gulf states like Qatar.

Hrmmm

Under a new decree, any Saudi who fights in a foreign conflict could face 20-30 years in prison as will those supporting them. There are believed to be between 1,000 and 2,000 Saudis fighting in Syria and it is unlikely they will all be detained when they return home.

Gotta put them somewhere for debriefing if they make it back alive! Might as well be somewhere they're used to.

Petrol posted:

It's maybe quite significant that Foley was a journalist? We have a situation now where almost all 'news' about IS is actually just reporting their latest propaganda. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any journalism happening within IS territory, unless you count that one VICE video, which, lol. Anyway, my point is, we have no fucking idea what's actually going on there. I do have it on good authority, though, that major foreign-owned resource operations within Iraq are continuing for the most part as normal, in spite of the official line about how dangerous the situation is.

fyi "kidnapped US journalist" is 100% of the time codeword for "disavowed CIA operative"

i hear they beheaded another james foley
maybe not a good idea to post this right now

Edited by getfiscal ()

it would be cool if you got captured by isis and they were trying to film a beheading video and then every time they came in with the knife you shouted "maoism third worldism is the light!!!" or something like thart so they have to keep either doing more takes or ultimately just give up and endorse maoism third worldism in their propaganda beheading video.
that would be pretty cool, and i nominate you for the job ilmdge

HenryKrinkle posted:

Crow posted:

ISIS

Sisi

ilmdge posted:

it would be cool if you got captured by isis and they were trying to film a beheading video and then every time they came in with the knife you shouted "maoism third worldism is the light!!!" or something like thart so they have to keep either doing more takes or ultimately just give up and endorse maoism third worldism in their propaganda beheading video.

brown moses would subtitle the video accidentally as "muslim third worldism is the light" and dozens of adult onset islam cases would rush to syria

[account deactivated]
brown moses is the leader of ISIS. please bomb brown moses
by the time they come to gag you it'll be too late and they'll all be maoists

getfiscal posted:

what did getfiscal post here? another video of some dude not actually getting his head cut off? did anyone see the new vid, is it real this time? can i please be mad at the islams yet like all my peer groups?!

swampman posted:

getfiscal posted:

what did getfiscal post here? another video of some dude not actually getting his head cut off? did anyone see the new vid, is it real this time? can i please be mad at the islams yet like all my peer groups?!

it was a coincidence but not an important one

getfiscal posted:

swampman posted:

getfiscal posted:

it was a coincidence but not an important one

you, also, beheaded a journalist this week.

never accuse me of receiving head

Superabound posted:

Petrol posted:

It's maybe quite significant that Foley was a journalist?

fyi "kidnapped US journalist" is 100% of the time codeword for "disavowed CIA operative"

Yeah, I should have said "journalist", but I was trying to make a point about the message his death conveniently send to actual journalists to stay the fuck out. Foley was CIA all the way

As for the new guy,

http://online.wsj.com/articles/curious-and-thoughtful-steven-sotloff-wrote-of-middle-east-turmoil-1409686371 posted:

"It was certainly a dangerous situation," said Matthew VanDyke, a documentary filmmaker and friend of Mr. Sotloff who said the two had dinner in Washington, D.C., not long before the reporter left. "He was certainly aware of the risks and took all the precautions that he could."

Mr. Sotloff, who spent years in the Middle East writing for publications including Time and Foreign Policy, was abducted near the Turkish border in Syria in August 2013, according to Sherif Mansour, a program coordinator at the Committee to Protect Journalists in New York...

The Committee to Protect Journalists issued a statement Tuesday condemning Mr. Sotloff's apparent killing.

"Being butchered in front of camera simply for being a reporter is pure barbarism," said Executive Director Joel Simon. "We condemn in the strongest terms possible the murder of journalist Steven Sotloff. He, like James Foley, went to Syria to tell a story. They were civilians, not representatives of any government."

Meanwhile,

http://www.smh.com.au/world/islamic-state-sorry-for-releasing-steven-sotloff-beheading-video-early-20140903-10bobd.html posted:

Islamic State militants have issued an apology following the release of a horrific video that appears to show the beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff.

But the jihadist group was not apologising for the terrifying death of the 31-year-old freelance journalist, who was kidnapped in Syria last year.

Instead, it appeared someone within IS had published the video of Sotloff's apparent execution online ahead of the intended time, according to the online news website Vocativ.

And, for that lack of discipline, the group was sorry.

"We tried to remove the video after we understood that this was published by mistake, and we are sorry to the followers of Islamic State," the group said in a message, in Arabic, posted on Justpaste.

Vocativ, a New York-based company that says it uses "deep-web technology" to report the news, said chatter in IS forums suggested the initial video release was an unintentional leak from the militant group.

The website reported that an IS-affiliated Twitter account, which has since been suspended, first published the video, before another IS-affiliated account, @Khattabyaz pointed out the error.

"A clarification about the mistake was made by 'Uyun al-Ummah' account, that has published the video before the official time," IS said on Justpaste.

"The user saw a tweet with the video and thought it was published officially. We tried to remove the video after we understood that his was published by mistake, and we are sorry to the followers of the Islamic State.

[account deactivated]
here you go conec https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1QlyxaZBRlVmVldTM0aWtZeFE/edit?usp=sharing

Petrol posted:

Superabound posted:

Petrol posted:

It's maybe quite significant that Foley was a journalist?

Yeah, I should have said "journalist", but I was trying to make a point about the message his death conveniently send to actual journalists to stay the fuck out. Foley was CIA all the way

As for the new guy,

http://online.wsj.com/articles/curious-and-thoughtful-steven-sotloff-wrote-of-middle-east-turmoil-1409686371 posted:

"It was certainly a dangerous situation," said Matthew VanDyke, a documentary filmmaker and friend of Mr. Sotloff who said the two had dinner in Washington, D.C., not long before the reporter left. "He was certainly aware of the risks and took all the precautions that he could."

Mr. Sotloff, who spent years in the Middle East writing for publications including Time and Foreign Policy, was abducted near the Turkish border in Syria in August 2013, according to Sherif Mansour, a program coordinator at the Committee to Protect Journalists in New York...

The Committee to Protect Journalists issued a statement Tuesday condemning Mr. Sotloff's apparent killing.

"Being butchered in front of camera simply for being a reporter is pure barbarism," said Executive Director Joel Simon. "We condemn in the strongest terms possible the murder of journalist Steven Sotloff. He, like James Foley, went to Syria to tell a story. They were civilians, not representatives of any government."

Meanwhile,

http://www.smh.com.au/world/islamic-state-sorry-for-releasing-steven-sotloff-beheading-video-early-20140903-10bobd.html posted:

Islamic State militants have issued an apology following the release of a horrific video that appears to show the beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff.

But the jihadist group was not apologising for the terrifying death of the 31-year-old freelance journalist, who was kidnapped in Syria last year.

Instead, it appeared someone within IS had published the video of Sotloff's apparent execution online ahead of the intended time, according to the online news website Vocativ.

And, for that lack of discipline, the group was sorry.

"We tried to remove the video after we understood that this was published by mistake, and we are sorry to the followers of Islamic State," the group said in a message, in Arabic, posted on Justpaste.

Vocativ, a New York-based company that says it uses "deep-web technology" to report the news, said chatter in IS forums suggested the initial video release was an unintentional leak from the militant group.

The website reported that an IS-affiliated Twitter account, which has since been suspended, first published the video, before another IS-affiliated account, @Khattabyaz pointed out the error.

"A clarification about the mistake was made by 'Uyun al-Ummah' account, that has published the video before the official time," IS said on Justpaste.

"The user saw a tweet with the video and thought it was published officially. We tried to remove the video after we understood that his was published by mistake, and we are sorry to the followers of the Islamic State.

damn, it got leaked before post-production was finished. the male RealDoll wont be in for another week!

We condemn in the strongest terms possible

is this some kind of magic spell now or something

also: Matthew Vandyke lol

"We condemn in the strongest terms possible. We condemn in the strongest terms possible. We condemn in the strongest terms possible." *all conflict ends*
i watched the new video (it was on youtube at the time, idk if it still is) and it also had a mock execution followed by video of the decapitated body.

i've become interested in the reason for the mock executions. it seems clear to me that the prisoners must be giving their propaganda speech and doing the mock execution in exchange for some sort of benefit.

in the best case scenario, IS is offering them a more painless death, and then cutting off their heads afterwards. this would explain why the beheadings are not on camera.

in a worst case scenario, they are simply threatening them with more torture for non-compliance. in this scenario i think the only reason they don't put the beheading on camera would be because they see it as against their propaganda goals. they want the videos to spread far and wide and be reasonably 'watchable', not gore-porn. it's part of their media-savvy approach.

but of the two i think the former is the more likely, because while IS is brutally murderous, i don't think they are totally unreasonable. they aren't insane, just pragmatic