daddyholes posted:

how hard would it have been for the U.S. gov't to claim "the video has been edited, some of the key things we're talking about were cut out"? but they didn't and it had to come out in the press. so why didn't they? hmmm maybe its because they dont really give a shit what is actually in the video and only care about upkeep on their various lies.

Probably because the US government didn't release the video and don't really care about it because it's not really a particularly big deal and just sort of a weird sidenote.

Syria's foreign minister made a statement condemning the killing of Foley and he didn't make a big deal about the edits/pretend slashing either. Instead he said the Americans should have come to Syria for a joint operation to rescue him, and also said the US was welcome to bomb ISIS in Syria as long as they coordinated with the Syrian government.

Agnus_Dei posted:

discipline posted:

Well I watched it before they yanked it off the entire internet and

1. It's fake
2. It's so fake it's easily recognizable as being fake

The guy could be dead but he wasn't killed in this video, there is no beheading in this video, in fact there is no blood shed in this video. Yet it's immediately pulled off the internet and all media is reporting it as a VIDEO WHERE HE WAS BEHEADED, not allegedly, not purports to show, just IS.

So why did they pull it? If it's a casus belli then it's really irresponsible to not investigate how fake it seems.

And why did ISIS release something so fake?

i need to reply to this because when i first read this i dismissed it as totally delusional, but then it turned out she was completely right. mainstream news is now covering the issue that the video appears doctored. i have since watched the video myself and agree it is fishy as heck. so props

"same." --Superabound's Dad

Lessons posted:

Probably because the US government didn't release the video and don't really care about it because it's not really a particularly big deal and just sort of a weird sidenote.

got it, that must be why they immediately announced they'd already invaded Syria over the guy.

Lessons posted:

the US was welcome to bomb ISIS in Syria as long as they coordinated with the Syrian government.

priceless.

in other news I announced today that the FBI is welcome to give me $10,000 as long as they smoke weed with me first.

NoFreeWill posted:

did you see the photo posted in this thread where his head is cut off and lying on his corpse?

dide you see the part where they cut off his head and then also, for some reason, went back and cut off the rest of his neck stump and all his vertebra so that the body would look much more like a mannequin stolen from the window of a Marks & Sparks

daddyholes posted:

Lessons posted:

got it, that must be why they immediately announced they'd already invaded Syria over the guy.

Well they didn't attack ISIS over the video (which was made weeks later) and they certainly didn't attack because the then-nonexistent video was being misrepresented and has weird cuts/fake slashing.

RIP, Michelle Fairley. These Muslim savages will pay for what theyve done, or my name isnt George S. Patton Romney

Lessons posted:

Well they didn't attack ISIS over the video (which was made weeks later) and they certainly didn't attack because the then-nonexistent video was being misrepresented and has weird cuts/fake slashing.

we attacked ISISs embassy because they made a video which was insulting and inflammatory towards our profit: media journalism. RIP, الوشم حرام

Lessons posted:

but on the other hand, no one said anything like that until you did. good points on all sides methinks.

really enamored of this "all world leaders are naive and honest at all times" outlook on life. the united states said syria should trash all its sulphur mustard immediately because they thought they would comply. the west sends weapons to the Moderate Rebels and is just dumbfounded when they end up in the hands of isis. syria's leaders say that the U.S. can team up with them even though the U.S. said it wouldn't and Cameron's people said it wouldn't happen days ago. a few hours later Syria is waiting all on a bench wondering why whitey didn't show. this is just like a teen romance movie, the kind you'd only remember if you were a true '90s kid.

daddyholes posted:

Lessons posted:

but on the other hand, no one said anything like that until you did. good points on all sides methinks.

Then why bring up the Foley commando operation at all in response to me saying the Foley videos/the edits to them weren't particularly important? It's almost as though you're aren't arguing in good faith...

you also wanted a report on how my pro Assad Cah-RAZY propaganda was treating me a few months later. so a few days ago world leaders and their various propaganda fronts felt it necessary to respond in major news outlets to figures within their own parties and their oppositions alike who all suggested we should be friends with the guy lol. the people with more to gain/lose rejected that of course but i seem to remember something about that kind of talk supposedly being completely fringe?

daddyholes posted:

you also wanted a report on how my pro Assad Cah-RAZY propaganda was treating me a few months later. so a few days ago world leaders and their various propaganda fronts felt it necessary to respond in major news outlets to figures within their own parties and their oppositions alike who all suggested we should be friends with the guy lol. the people with more to gain/lose rejected that of course but i seem to remember something about that kind of talk supposedly being completely fringe?

You're talking about two completely different positions. The Tory foreign minister/US ambassador to KSA aren't endorsing anything like your position, they're saying the US and UK should pragmatically align themselves against Assad since ISIS is now clearly the bigger threat. You're saying something quite different: that we should support Assad (or the Syrian government/army if you prefer) because they're de facto fighting the US. These are mutually exclusive claims, you can't have both.

Also the stuff I was saying was never going to fly was way more specific stuff that people were saying. Stuff like "the human rights reports against Assad are just propaganda" or "the Ghouta attacks were a CIA operation". You still don't have a chance in hell of convincing people of that, but you might, if you're so inclined, be able to convince them that a US-Syria coalition against ISIS is acceptable.
Really, if anything, the fact that a bunch of imperialist generals and State Dept. thugs are clamoring for the US to work with the Syrian government should give you pause about the supposed anti-imperialist nature of the Syrian state's war.
There is no history of Islamist beheading videos being used as tools of psychological warfare.

Sure, Daniel Pearl was probably killed by MI6 and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was convicted on the basis of visual analysis of a vein, a special new forensic technique developed by Georgetown University, regular recipient of covert CIA funding and overt CIA institutional partner.

And, yeah, Nick Berg was an independent contractor who had ties to Islamist terror suspects, was secretly detained by the US just a couple of weeks before his beheading video was released, in which he wore a US prison jumpsuit and was probably already dead. Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was identified as the killer based on CIA voice analysis, despite the fact that the accent was completely off. Zarqawi was the subject of an intense US black propaganda campaign which included passing forged evidence to Western journalists. The Berg video was originally posted to an Arab news website based in London, run by Abdel Rahman al-Rashed. Al-Rashed received a BA in Visual Media from American University in Washington DC in 1983. Immediately after the video was posted, the site was shut down and al-Rashed resigned. He was snapped up straight away to run Dubai's Al Arabiya as a more West-friendly alternative to Al Jazeera, despite having no TV experience.

He still runs Al Arabiya, and writes the occasional editorial, like this one about the killing of James Foley:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2014/08/25/From-9-11-to-Foley-s-murder-extremism-lives-on.html posted:

Our war - the world’s war, Muslims and others - is against evil ideas. Al-Qaeda is an idea and so is ISIS.

But yeah. Nothing to see here.

Put that on the front page if you don't mind? where the fuck are the mods?
dont mind Lessons. He lives in a world where neither Tofu nor CIA propaganda videos are processed

Lessons posted:

Also the stuff I was saying was never going to fly was way more specific stuff that people were saying. Stuff like "the human rights reports against Assad are just propaganda" or "the Ghouta attacks were a CIA operation". You still don't have a chance in hell of convincing people of that, but you might, if you're so inclined, be able to convince them that a US-Syria coalition against ISIS is acceptable.

Renowned journalist Seymour Hersh came out of the closet to say:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n08/seymour-m-hersh/the-red-line-and-the-rat-line

Superabound posted:

swampman posted:

I'd be happy to write something a little more substantial if people think the topic is front page worthy.

sure, ill put it up if you beef it up some

Lessons posted:

Then why bring up the Foley commando operation at all in response to me saying the Foley videos/the edits to them weren't particularly important? It's almost as though you're aren't arguing in good faith...

no. you said that it was a Weird Side Note the obama administration didnt care about and thats why they lied about it(?), i suggested that leaking that the u.s. had secretly invaded Syria is a strange way of not caring, then you created something about time travel in your head and then I was like lol wth. thats where we are now.

guess "when i said support for Assad was fringe i didn't mean THAT support for Assad" is the new "when i said ground troops would make all the difference I didn't mean the Navy SEALs". all in 24 hours too. amazing shit. i just wish youd told us you had planned for all these contingencies because you didnt post anything about it until they had already happened.

you want to talk about bad faith, you had an easy out here to be consistent, your statement that soldiers on the ground was an important benchmark. if you had come back here saying "it happened, things are different now", i cant speak for everyone but i would have said welcome to the team and said other people shouldnt give you shit for it. offer still stands btw.
http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/why-isis-threat-saudi-arabia-wahhabism%E2%80%99s-deferred-promise
same offer is extended to you too NoFreeWill and to people in general. i can t always be Jesus in the Temple-ing & the point is to build a team around a position. fwiw there are even liberals in my life who heard the leak and skipped straight over "neither Washington nor Damascus" into naive receptiveness to all my other pushy bullshit as well. certainly at least one previously strident anti Assad leftist i know has changed his mind.
today i recommend the Tweeter of jools for cool good links to objections the UN hasnt even tried to address with these claims it made today about chemical weapons use in Syria.

Petrol posted:

this but ironically unironically

i don't have any position on Syria fwiw.

daddyholes posted:

guess "when i said support for Assad was fringe i didn't mean THAT support for Assad" is the new "when i said ground troops would make all the difference I didn't mean the Navy SEALs". all in 24 hours too. amazing shit. i just wish youd told us you had planned for all these contingencies because you didnt post anything about it until they had already happened.

you want to talk about bad faith, you had an easy out here to be consistent, your statement that soldiers on the ground was an important benchmark. if you had come back here saying "it happened, things are different now", i cant speak for everyone but i would have said welcome to the team and said other people shouldnt give you shit for it. offer still stands btw.

You're grasping at straws here by completely ignoring the context I said those things in. "I would support Assad if the US was invading to depose him" doesnt commit me supporting him because the US launched a commando raid agaist ISIS (which, btw, the Syrian govt didn't treat as an act of war but instead said "Hey Obama you should have coordinated that with us"). You're acting like I set a Red Line and if US troops set foot in Syria I flip sides but that's not what I said let alone thought. And "you can convince Americans to oppose US intervention in Syria but you aren't going to convince them that Assad is a great guy because actually all the human rights reports are faked" definitely doesn't apply to cases of US generals calling for pro-Assad US intervention in Syria because not only are they completely different arguments they are literally mutually exclusive. What you're saying only makes sense if you refuse to distinguish support for Assas against US imperialism from support for Assad on the condition that he becomes an ally of US imperialism, which is not a trivial distinction.

If you actually get cases that resemble what I was talking about (like the hypothetical mission creep scenario escalating into all-out war between the US and Assad*) yeah I would absolutely change my views but this is some weak shit.

*to specify I still don't have red lines here, e.g. if US bombings kill 8000 ISIS troops and one SAA it wouldn't qualify for what I'm talking about. Again, context.

quote=#id247231]

Lessons posted:

no. you said that it was a Weird Side Note the obama administration didnt care about and thats why they lied about it(?), i suggested that leaking that the u.s. had secretly invaded Syria is a strange way of not caring, then you created something about time travel in your head and then I was like lol wth. thats where we are now.
This is actually fair enough though.

Petrol posted:

Superabound posted:

swampman posted:

I'd be happy to write something a little more substantial if people think the topic is front page worthy.

i do think it would be better for us to lower our standards for front page, simply to get articles moving through faster. i think the current self-imposed quality standards are a little high, considering the actual output at that level. would it then just be like, a blog? yes, but at least it would be our blog. and by the way, i am not willing to expend a single moment of work to achieve this, beyond writing the paragraph i just did.

if we're gonna stick up shorter posts like that id wanna change the layout of the frontpage i guess
yeah, there are only 3 articles that can be up at any time, if we focus on shorter posts the rotation would be too fast for it to be worthwhile

blinkandwheeze posted:

yeah, there are only 3 articles that can be up at any time, if we focus on shorter posts the rotation would be too fast for it to be worthwhile

well if you're not going to do that could you at least check what you put up for like, grammar

The colonist breathes a sigh of relief as he shrewdly notices the slouch in his enemies stance.
you just cant win with some people - specifically, me.
[account deactivated]