~liVe fAst, diE yOuNg, leAve gOod soiL~

RHIZZONE FARM THREADS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCyum7tPMP0

this lady says I can start right away if i add a good thick layer of compost on top to plant in

I'll start adding liquid fertilizer soon to my tomato bed then, thanks

just a tip to everyone that while all of this is appreciated from dank, you don't have to do all this obscure product buying time consuming stuff to have a garden so don't be discouraged

daddyholes posted:

just a tip to everyone that while all of this is appreciated from dank, you don't have to do all this obscure product buying time consuming stuff to have a garden so don't be discouraged

what did he suggest we buy

everything i suggested you can get for free except organic fertilizer, which costs like 20 bucks for a 55 lb bag
widow if you wanna sheet mulch go bananas, but i would get started asap so it has time to start rotting at least a little before you plant. it definitely will help but you won't get the full benefit until next year but yeah no harm in leaving behind good soil!
yeahhh, I might end up just working my dried leaves/grass, compost & coffee grounds into the soil + liquid fertilizer + ground up eggshells and banana shells

that oughta do it
im not bashing anyone im just trying to cover the people who might be put off by a green-and-red paragraph about planting 30 things in lasagna layers which most people will not and cannot do
if you're intimidated by all this, pick up some fruit crates, 5 gallon buckets (available either at the box stores for $4~ each or you can ask restaurants if they have any... or just steal them from the back of places) and put in some store bought soil. 5 gallon buckets are great for tomatoes and peppers whereas smaller crates (lined with landscape fabric - $3 at dollarama) can be used for spinach, lettuce, beets or radishes. alternatively, use a reusable bag with breathable fabric (not the waterproof plastic ones) and stuff soil in there. cheap things to grow that are very satisfying & easy are leafy greens. or you can grow a variety of tomato like tiny tim which won't take up a lot of space but give you loads of wee tomatoes
thanks for covering people who are not as advanced on this as you or i

i just come into this thread every few pages to make sure people are not trailing the Masses

daddyholes posted:

im not bashing anyone im just trying to cover the people who might be put off by a green-and-red paragraph about planting 30 things in lasagna layers which most people will not and cannot do

yeah, this is totally true, if you wanna garden just put plants in dirt in a sunny spot and go wild. if you're into that and wanna do more you can get into the harder stuff.

but yeah the 10 different ingredient lasagna thing is totallyexcessive. in my current garden i just did it with dead leaves from a city leaf dump and organic fertilizer as a nitrogen source and it worked great. i mena if you have access to free manure and rock dust and grass clippings and whatnot go nuts but yeah its not required

but my kustom kolors are beautiful and special and fuck you for judging me

gardening is easy. step 1 soak a seed, step 2 sow that lil cutie, step 3 grow a plant, step 4 eat a bean
{ask} me about being a huge dweeb about gardening
i wanna eat one of them russian black tomaters also this thread owns
how much time per day/week/month should be dedicated to your plants to keep them growing successfully?

i've not got this right in previous years.

relatedly: seen any good designs for self-watering contatiners for plants?
i used this method last year with good results:
http://www.makeitandmendit.com/how-to-make-a-self-watering-pot-out-of-an-old-plastic-bottle/

will be adding microelectronics to my growing this season!

chickeon posted:

i wanna eat one of them russian black tomaters also this thread owns

one is named after paul robeson :3

also xipe -- youtube is awash with vids on how to set up a self watering system. I spend way too much time doting on my little plants so I'm not the person to ask. I'd say maybe an hour a day tho (including watering)

i found literally a dozen perfectly good 1-3 gallon pots put out by the garbage the other day, which was manna from heaven since i expect to move mid summer and the spring's been so late. planting greens and tomatoes and peppers and some brussel spouts. i was set back by the fact that a lot of my seedlings died b/c i was sprouting them in those little cardboard ice cube trays and the dried out over a long weekend; before that they'd molded. i recommend not using those. but thanks to garbage providence i'm still on track to have tons of toms

xipe posted:

how much time per day/week/month should be dedicated to your plants to keep them growing successfully?

i've not got this right in previous years.

relatedly: seen any good designs for self-watering contatiners for plants?
i used this method last year with good results:
http://www.makeitandmendit.com/how-to-make-a-self-watering-pot-out-of-an-old-plastic-bottle/

will be adding microelectronics to my growing this season!

there's no such thing as excessive doting on plants. i coo at and fondle my lettuces with near-obscene affection on the daily.

at first you should check on your seedlings once every day or two to make sure they're not drying out too much and that pests are leaving them alone. once they're established you can get away with once or twice a week if it's raining regularly, more often just to water if it's hot + dry