innsmouthful posted:

the absolute last thing I want to do is make food less avaliable to people and force them to spend all of their time growing their own produce that is difficult to store,

This is why I called you trash dude.
lol i dont think anyone here is championing the Khmer Rouge's policy of emptying the cities. only idiot asshole deep greens want people to grow all of their own food, you're attacking a phantom
innsmouthful is a piece of shit

tsinava posted:

This is why I called you trash dude.

cause I didn't read the thread, geez. good thing I get my validation from other places than obscure Internet forums :/

c_man posted:

this is so rude. because I believe the way we produce food is a non-issue in the face of other, more pressing problems, such as adult illiteracy in the world's richest country, and that meaningful change starts with things that people can understand on a smaller scale? sorry, I thought my liberalism was well established by now

innsmouthful posted:

c_man posted:

this is so rude. because I believe the way we produce food is a non-issue in the face of other, more pressing problems, such as adult illiteracy in the world's richest country, and that meaningful change starts with things that people can understand on a smaller scale? sorry, I thought my liberalism was well established by now

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

lmao yes our agriculture system is heavily dependent on a non-renewable resource that has reached it's peak but there are more pressing problems to address.

whats the coolest crop to grow on about a hectare of land w/ tracter
there is a bigger and more pressing issue than agriculture practices in america.

literacy rates in america are at an all time low, which means that as the years go on, less and less people will be able to read my posts!!!

this is a serious problem peopel!!

MindMaster posted:

Depends on your plant hardiness zone and annual rainfall and a lot of other stuff.

Look at native perennials such as fruit trees or bushes maybe.

MindMaster posted:

http://www.monsanto.com/weedmanagement/pages/roundup-ready-system.aspx

ugh he said with TREACTORE god

like one crop? just the one? go with a rye/alfalfa cover crop in teh off season then mow it down and plant lentils or some kind of locally hardy bean crop w/ a towed seed drill
do u have tractor, i am jealous, i want one
If you have a hectare of land you're going to pretty much have to do more than one crop to be successful. So think about all the things you wanna grow MindMaster!
unless you want to be a fulltime homesteader a hectare of forest gardens arent really a good idea.

lol i suppose if you just had a tractor w/ a brush hog and seed drill and an empty field laying around you could grow yourself a few years supply of beans in your spare time without quitting your day job but that seems like a strange hobby
this thread really made me want to drive tracktre
i dont have a tractor YET but could probably get one for not much and i dont have a hectare of land but my mom does and she keeps saying i should "become a farmer" to pay off my "student debt" and the idea is increasingly sounding not so bad to me

mostly i want to drive my tracter around the village and do weird unfarmerly things like playing anime or JRPG soundtrack music in my tractor cabin as i farm

tsinava posted:

lmao yes our agriculture system is heavily dependent on a non-renewable resource that has reached it's peak but there are more pressing problems to address.

i see stuff like this and i just don't care, really. i can afford to eat, i can get to and from places i want to with relative ease and flexibility, and i can live a fulfilled life relatively free from distraction. i think this is how most people think about the world, and i think that calling those people trash because they dare to think that there are more important priorities in the world than disrupting a system that gets food for them in a way they don't have to think about is an excellent way to get your point across and make friends.

innsmouthful posted:

tsinava posted:

i see stuff like this and i just don't care, really. i can afford to eat, i can get to and from places i want to with relative ease and flexibility, and i can live a fulfilled life relatively free from distraction. i think this is how most people think about the world, and i think that calling those people trash because they dare to think that there are more important priorities in the world than disrupting a system that gets food for them in a way they don't have to think about is an excellent way to get your point across and make friends.

You're shitting all over a thread about sustainable agriculture and your excuse is that you think reading is more important.

Are you aware that if you have an unrelated topic you want to talk about you can make another thread about it?

You're not some John Everyman here innsmouthful you just admitted you worked for big ag.

It's funny how you're trying to pose this as me attacking the average slob for not knowing anything about agriculture.

I'm attacking you for being a shithead.

innsmouthful posted:

self-absorbed piece of shit thinks everyone else in the world thinks exactly like they do, news @ 11

innsmouthful posted:

tsinava posted:

i see stuff like this and i just don't care, really. i can afford to shit in the toilet, i can get to and from toilets i want to with relative ease and flexibility, and i can piss and shit and live a fulfilled life relatively free from distraction. i think this is how most people think about the world, and i think that calling those people trash because they dare to think that there are more important priorities in the world than disrupting a system that takes shit and piss from them in a way they don't have to think about is an excellent way to get your point across and make friends.

innsmouthful posted:

c_man posted:

how is adult illiteracy a pressing problem

tsinava posted:

You're not some John Everyman here innsmouthful you just admitted you worked for big ag.

It's funny how you're trying to pose this as me attacking the average slob for not knowing anything about agriculture.

I'm attacking you for being a shithead.

I don't wanna talk about it, it was just an example really. clearly you guys aren't interested in anything I have to say, but I will mention that people who have food should never tell people without food how to get it. also I'm sure adult illiteracy is a problem to people who can't read, lol

innsmouthful posted:

clearly you guys aren't interested in anything I have to say

maybe its because you came into a discussion without paying attention and started spewing ignorant crap. maybe....

Hahahahahah

I make a thread about how to grow food cheaply and you're framing it as me condescending to starving poor people that they should grow their own food instead of shopping for cheap groceries.

This is why I keep calling you trash. This is really fucking trashy behavior. I really don't know how else to put it.

tsinava posted:

Hahahahahah

I make a thread about how to grow food cheaply and you're framing it as me condescending to starving poor people that they should grow their own food instead of shopping for cheap groceries.

This is why I keep calling you trash. This is really fucking trashy behavior. I really don't know how else to put it.

how would this cheap growing of food work in a place like New York?

I made a post about growing stuff on balconies a while back you should take a looksie. If you don't have access to a balcony or even sunlight you can always try mushrooms in space you aren't using. You can still do that relatively cheaply. You can pull off mushrooms on a balcony too.

You can pull of mushrooms anywhere. You just need the proper wood for the mushroom. (for shiitake, oak is usually a good choice) and you soak the wood in a bathtub for a while and then if you don't want to DIY your own spore inoculation you can just order spore plugs from the internet that are relatively cheap. You can get 100 for like $15 and each plug produces for around 5 years, and you can always collect your own spores from the mushrooms and never order plugs again.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
still makin my way through this thread (its very good!) but re. the issue of the labour required for these kind of practices a quick reminder that there is an enormous labour surplus in the first world without even considering the fact that a huge amount of the people who ARE employed are doing dogshit useless unproductive crap that benefits nobody
Some people are saying sustainable agriculture is a bad idea because there's absolutely no where we can find vast amounts of people without jobs who would work on a farm for a fair wage. I guess because they've never seen a homeless person.
[account deactivated]
birds are fucked up and cute
I don't understand that white supremacist television show.
[account deactivated]

innsmouthful posted:

tsinava posted:

innsmouthful posted:

like lol at making ag more labor intensive. if you wanna go manually detassle over 100 acres of seed corn in the middle of the summer, be my guest.

Hahahah look at this dumb piece of shit who doesn't know anything about properly growing food, yet is employed by some huge company in Industrial Ag.

This is the main problem here.

you don't eat seed corn lol

uh, in production of commodities by means of commodities you can. are you saying sraffa was wrong?

Edited by stegosaurus ()

innsmouthful posted:

be my guest.

theyre called h-2s now man

i've spent a fair amount of time on a tractor and it owned but then i didn't have to build the tractor or pump the oil let alone subject the people living on the oil to free trade capitalism at gunpoint so i don't know if i could really say it was that much of a labor saver in the grand scheme of things. some for sure probably