[account deactivated]
its funny because we already have the perfect carbon capture devices but capitalism hasnt worked out how to make money out of em without destroying em. theyre called trees
What do you guys think of biochar?

A friend of mine is starting a company based on it.

The Incas used it, calling it Terra preta
https://www.biochar-journal.org/en/ct/4

And it's also great for growing mycelium and bacteria
http://chaosfungorum.co.uk/?page_id=11

Anyway it stores carbon pretty easily, u just need to burn stuff
biocharizard
[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

gotta blow up the petrochem plants to save Earth,

toyotathon posted:

hi FBI i'm kidding

it's going to be cool when we get a real life technosavior who actually uses the power of entrepreneurship and gumption to crack the code of mass carbon sequestration. as the PPM starts to drop, neoliberal capitalism will be hailed as the system that saved the world. all us pinkos will have egg on our faces right up up until the moment the carbon credit market collapses and exxon snaps up the assets at a bankruptcy sale and burns it all, all over again
wait im based on carbon!! noo *succd into machine, wild cheering & clapping*
[account deactivated]
the US is all kinds of fucked right now so its good to see their politicians focusing on the real and important stuff, like how clinton's presidential campaign was derailed by putin's myspace page or whatever https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/05/senator-warns-youtube-algorithm-may-be-open-to-manipulation-by-bad-actors
Damn that's crazy. No spooky intercom voices or personality cults though so I guess the US is still not totalitarian. Whew!

Synergy posted:

cars posted:

SOCRATES: Now, is a man who kills men the same as a fire that kills men?
ANYTUS: Socrates, you are speaking foolishly. You know that a fire is not the same as a man, whatsoever it does.
SOCRATES: But those who die from a fire and those who die from the actions of a man are both in the same state, is that not so?
ANYTUS: Yes, that is so.
SOCRATES: And those with authority may extinguish a man who kills as they extinguish a fire that kills, is that not so? And may take measures to prevent such a thing as a matter of their duty to the state?
ANYTUS: I must admit that is so, Socrates.
SOCRATES: So it seems that a man who kills and a fire that kills are similar. Now let us consider the value of a man and the value of a fire, and whether both, one or neither may be guilty or innocent.
ANYTUS: Wait, back up a second, are you saying we should have fire sprinklers but for people like those turrets in "Aliens", that just pop out of the ceiling and spray the room down with hot lead?
SOCRATES: Perhaps that is so.
ANYTUS: Or just fill the room with deadly nerve gas!
SOCRATES: I think we may be getting a little off tr
ANYTUS: And big blue fire trucks only instead of fire hoses we'd have big M134s hanging off the side and they'd be like, kratakka-takka-takka-KA-KOW!
SOCRATES: What is that?
ANYTUS: That was a gas tank going up at the end there.
SOCRATES: I meant, what is an M134?
ANYTUS: Huh? Oh, that's like a fire hose but for bullets.
SOCRATES: This is probably a good ending point for today and we can pick this up tomorrow maybe
ANYTUS: Goddamnit Socrates do you have any idea how rich you are about to make the two of us?

[account deactivated]
streamlining the education-incarceration complex, get the kids on the treadmill. school is now a place to learn fear
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/world/australia/school-tech-lumineer-academy-susan-wu.html

the first photo accompanying this story lol

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/world/australia/school-tech-lumineer-academy-susan-wu.htmlthe first photo accompanying this story lol

i like this quote “I was kind of impressed with the number of clichés and buzzwords that they packed into a short amount of marketing copy,” said Audrey Watters, whose blog, Hack Education, analyzes the intersection of education and tech. “In the case of Luminaria, they have everything, they have all the buzzwords: social and emotional learning, mind-sets, grit, S.T.E.M., mindfulness, authentic learning, global consciousness. I mean, pick two of those.”

i wonder how they teach non STEM subjects like english, they don't seem to mention that anywhere

One student, Ines Morgan, 8, said she particularly liked a project in which her class observed an ant colony.

“Our hypothesis was, ‘What happens when an ant colony gets disrupted?’ ” she explained.

Thats not a hypothesis you fucking idiot. This school is bullshit!!

Petrol posted:

One student, Ines Morgan, 8, said she particularly liked a project in which her class observed an ant colony.

“Our hypothesis was, ‘What happens when an ant colony gets disrupted?’ ” she explained.

Thats not a hypothesis you fucking idiot. This school is bullshit!!

in my experience a lot of normal science classes dont really emphasise the 'testable statement' nature of hypotheses either, but its cool that the article undermines their fancy schooling system just by including that

Unlike most Australian private schools, students at the academy do not wear a required uniform. Instead, students are encouraged to build their own wardrobes within a prescribed palette. (In nautical stripes and khakis, many children resemble those in a J. Crew catalog.)

least beautiful paragraph in the human language

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/04/robots-screen-candidates-for-jobs-artificial-intelligence?CMP=twt_gu

A fightback against automation has emerged, as applicants search for ways to game the system. On web forums, students trade answers to employers’ tests and create fake applications to gauge their processes. One HR employee for a major technology company recommends slipping the words “Oxford” or “Cambridge” into a CV in invisible white text, to pass the automated screening.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/technology/silicon-valley-midwest.html

Mr. McKenna, who owns a house in Miami in addition to his home in San Francisco, told me that his travels outside the Bay Area had opened his eyes to a world beyond the tech bubble.

“Every single person in San Francisco is talking about the same things, whether it’s ‘I hate Trump’ or ‘I’m going to do blockchain and Bitcoin,’” he said. “It’s the worst part of the social network.”

Mr. Thiel’s criticisms were echoed by Michael Moritz, the billionaire founder of Sequoia Capital. In a recent Financial Times op-ed, Mr. Moritz argued that Silicon Valley had become slow and spoiled by its success, and that “soul-sapping discussions” about politics and social injustice had distracted tech companies from the work of innovation.

OSCAR GRANT: [BLEEDING TO DEATH] I'm going to do blockchain and Bitcoin
vapeable blockchain

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

thought you dudes should know

makes u think

tears posted:

vapeable blockchain

Petrol posted:

tears posted:

vapeable blockchain

Then in the vaping business, the California-based Vapetek Inc. has decided to rename itself Nodechain Inc. and says it will explore Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other cryptocurrencies. Nodechain says it has many GPU mining rigs it bought from US suppliers and estimates that it will be able to pull in around $500 in ethereum or in bitcoin per rig each day. The publicly traded company also changed its website domain from Vapetek.com to Nodecha.in.

bitcoin ate my balls
im setting up Vapechain plc, a bespoke british buisiness which seeks to harness the unused processing power in your vape to mine cryptocurrency. There will also be a range of cryptocurrency themed premium e-juices. We'll be raising capital via an initial coin offering in April. hmu itt or via PM if you want in.

tears posted:

im setting up Vapechain plc, a bespoke british buisiness which seeks to harness the unused processing power in your vape to mine cryptocurrency. There will also be a range of cryptocurrency themed premium e-juices. We'll be raising capital via an initial coin offering in April. hmu itt or via PM if you want in.

i'll steal a COOL widget from codepen for your single-webpage business plan and write a script that automagically peppers your speech with buzzwords to save time, you can pay me in vapebux

not vapecoin but close https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/08/qarnot-unveils-a-cryptocurrency-heater-for-your-home/
i take it all back. bitcoin is very good

Petrol posted:

not vapecoin but close https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/08/qarnot-unveils-a-cryptocurrency-heater-for-your-home/

cool, installing 12 of these in the communist compound right now

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/business/digital-tool-for-landlords-measures-potential-tenants-kindness-cleanliness-1.3837486

Another Canadian tech startup is helping landlords and property managers leverage the power of big data and artificial intelligence to weed out potentially undesirable tenants before handing over the keys.

Victoria-based Certn combs through more than 100,000 online data points, everything from social media posts to criminal convictions to eviction notices, in order to build a risk profile for each consenting applicant. The company even offers behavioral analysis questionnaires to gauge things like ethics, honesty, intelligence, attitudes and beliefs.

If my future robot landlords are reading this: fuk u

yahoo recently added the following to its terms of service:

1) authorization for a bunch of new, vaguely described data gathering & sharing across sites owned by yahoo’s new parent company (Verizon), and with third parties to be decided later

2) a new designated venue for all legal claims

3) an agreement to push any users’ claims against yahoo out of the courts & into third-party arbitration

4) a sweeping new waiver of participation in future class-action lawsuits against yahoo

yahoo
im mostly surprised that there are enough people still using yahoo to make data gathering worthwhile

lo posted:

im mostly surprised that there are enough people still using yahoo to make data gathering worthwhile

fun fact: if the surveillance state can't get at your "private" communications records directly through a warrantless demand, they build a profile using everything even remotely connected to your identity that ever happened to pass somehow through the desperate also-rans of online, like Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., because one side effect of Second Place Is The First Loser is that those also-rans have little to gain in the market from the empty, faux-privacy-advocate posturing of an Apple or Google. so they serve as direct pipelines to national agencies & local cop-swaps who can then use those base outside-in profiles to drill down even further

in the above case, if you didn't know the iPhone's biggest U.S. carrier, you can probably guess it now lol

cars posted:

yahoo recently added the following to its terms of service:

1) authorization for a bunch of new, vaguely described data gathering & sharing across sites owned by yahoo’s new parent company (Verizon), and with third parties to be decided later

2) a new designated venue for all legal claims

3) an agreement to push any users’ claims against yahoo out of the courts & into third-party arbitration

4) a sweeping new waiver of participation in future class-action lawsuits against yahoo

yahoo

Verizon bought tumblr so it did the same thing lmao

owning the tumblrinas by mandating third-party arbitration in a venue of my choosing
now with everyone being forced to contract their seventh amendment rights away, the third is really the only one that hasnt been watered down to the point of absurdity. next up: everyone will soon be forced to put their houses/apartments/tents/car front seats on airbnb and troops stay for free!