You should have pissed all over everything and torn the bell off
framed in the cold, harsh light of todays hangover i am become terminally despondant at the petty cruelties of other people
when the bar lets you down
theres no need for that frown
post post post
post post post
post ...
youre gettin it now!
im hosting a punk band for fed up fest which is kewl

tears posted:

i went out drinking w some communists in a pub and the pub had like three toilets and i thought thats nice a trans inclusionary pub and my friend opened the "middle" tolilet door and it had some friggin brick wallpaper behind it and rang aloud bell in the pub for everyone to hear and well long story short I mananged to barely resist burning the pub to the ground and offering the drinkers up in a fiery offering to the dark gods but it was and extremly close thing and i/ am VERY ANGRY and also drunk, and well I hope this stupid country and everyone in it burns in hell forever :very angry emoji:

there's no way that is going to survive anyone actually finding out about it outside of that pub's regular clientele, right? that seems like you are literally inviting activist types to show up and shit all over you every day

[account deactivated]
rhizzone started as a bdsm/fetish site that used safewords from Mao and Stalin, so yeah
[account deactivated]
it's so easy to kill a baby that i kind of have sympathy for the hot car people. put on headphone and watch "The Dark Knight Rises" in its entirety, and congratulations, you're going to prison
goat the first thing you need to do is pick a fight with the the biggest guy there so people think you are tough/crazy. Then I would recommend joining the Latin Kings if you can pull it off. I will NOT forgive you if you join the Aryan Brotherhood
wat
🐐 is going to prison because Christopher Nolan is the most enthralling director of our era
i did not murder my child thru negligence as i have not, as yet, Read Settlers
well what *have* you done, goat
hes exposed the corrupt soul at the heart of parks and recreation, a television show, for all to see, contributing materially to the destruction of liberalism and the advance of robust, principled proletarian politics.
the proletariat will no doubt celebrate this advance with the eternal thanks to humanity that is the ongoing protracted proletarian revolution
hell if it all is not damn true.

tpaine posted:

I met getfiscal on an e-stim/edging newsgroup in 1999

Well, we made it into an e-stim/edging newsgroup, because we give no fucks.

[account deactivated]
We almost gave a fuck but then at the last second would pull back and not do it.
So several people in my family have been attending this self-help type thing called the "Landmark Forum". They keep trying to convince me to attend a seminar but I don't want to because my Marx senses are tingling.

I'm having trouble articulating what is so unsettling about this billion dollar company. It reeks of bourgeois individualism and new age spiritualism. I wish that there was a brilliant marxist takedown of their ideology floating around out there, but no such luck.

It has its intellectual roots in a guy named Werner Erhard and the 'est' (Erhard Seminars Training) program as well as what wikipedia informs me is the 'Human Potential Movement'.

Has anyone encountered these things before? Does anyone have any reading suggestions? My family is getting entangled with scientology lite and if I can't stop them I want to at least read some withering criticism.
[account deactivated]
To call landmark forum a cult, that it brainwashes people only adds to the mystique of this banal holdover from the lifestyle/self-realization movement of the 60s. It is part of the (origin of) wider corporate self-help, lifehacking, etc. The ideology here is to call consumerism 'materialism' and then oppose it by various practices of being 'spiritual', practices which only make you a better consumer.
Landmark compresses what was once a long-term relation in psychotherapy into a 3-4 day seminar spread over a week. People vomit their dissatisfactions on the first day, then the 'director' makes them feel like shit for not taking responsibility in their lives, and finally people break down (or 'pop' as they put it) and try to make amends. Expect an apologetic call from your folks.
The problem here is that to provide people with catharsis in exchange for money only reinforces the idea that their personal drama matters when they should be realizing that 'lol nothing matters' under markets. Such people are to be pitied not criticized. They should be encouraged to read Carlos Castaneda and drop acid in the desert or try primal scream - anything that would trigger a total psychotic breakdown rather than hollywood happy ending.
Erhard was a syncretist much like everything else in the 'marketplace of ideas'. Within the market framework that is only concerned with utility (what can this do for me?), ahistorical pastiche is the norm. The best report on this scene (afaik) occurs in ep 3 of curtis' century of the self. Probably the worst thing to come out of est bullshit are the matrix sequels.

Edited by slipdisco ()

[account deactivated]

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

Psychoanalysis is bourgeois garbage. Fitting that the rich perfected it first as a form of torture for their own

yeah sorry i edited it to 'psychotherapy'. American psychotherapy is grounded in William James's pragmatic psychology followed by Anna Freud's ego psychology (covered in ep 2 of century of the self). Erhard etc were followers of Reich (reacting to the reign of ego psychology) who was a favourite of Marxists in the 60s as well.
I am well aware of psychoanalysis' reputation. plz reconsider your hasty dismissal - a theory that tortures the rich can't be all bad no?

[account deactivated]
Human Ecology Fund, Esalen Institute, MK Ultra, "it's empty and meaningless that it's empty and meaningless" etc.
*tinfoil hat falls off and mind is immediately occupied by hexes, kgb esp agents and Obama incantations of "thank you satan-and hear from the grandma"*
why so down on psychoanalysis. seems helpful
[account deactivated]
ahh. If you think you're going to trick me into talking Reich in the real life thread, you're sadly mistaken

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

I read some of a non-theoretical Theodore Reik book once and enjoyed it.

i wanna read his 'The Creation of Woman' but can't find it anywhere

the theory behind mainstream clinical psychology is a mix of really bad untenable assumptions about the brain being a computer running computer programs, and promotion of cost-saving measures like cbt (cognitive-behavioural therapy/cock and ball torture) which was touted as Greatest breakthrough in psychological history except it turns out its not very helpful.

so psychoanalysis which tries at least to engage without dumb computational or evo psych frameworks seems to me, just on that basis, good, and cool.
not being the absolute worst example of bourgeois intellectual laziness is a pretty terrible endorsement for something
its a better framework yeah

Belphegor posted:

So several people in my family have been attending this self-help type thing called the "Landmark Forum". They keep trying to convince me to attend a seminar but I don't want to because my Marx senses are tingling.

I'm having trouble articulating what is so unsettling about this billion dollar company. It reeks of bourgeois individualism and new age spiritualism. I wish that there was a brilliant marxist takedown of their ideology floating around out there, but no such luck.

It has its intellectual roots in a guy named Werner Erhard and the 'est' (Erhard Seminars Training) program as well as what wikipedia informs me is the 'Human Potential Movement'.

Has anyone encountered these things before? Does anyone have any reading suggestions? My family is getting entangled with scientology lite and if I can't stop them I want to at least read some withering criticism.

Its just weird public therapy with an amway-ish model which is strange because therapy already makes money. The characters to go EST on the television show "The Americans."

Anyway when it comes to psychology heres my conclusion... This stuff used to be real, but over time it's become more and more scientific and since, last I checked, which was recently, very recently, science isn't real; therapy also isn't real.

Keven posted:

Its just weird public therapy with an amway-ish model which is strange because therapy already makes money

this. why go for the cheap knock-off when you could pay more for a bigger, better, longer-lasting traumatic breakdown?

Gibbonstrength posted:

why so down on psychoanalysis. seems helpful

I prefer eclectic therapy that uses a wider range of techniques (or self directed which puts the onus on the patient to direct their own healing). Ive been doing therapy for the past few months and it has been really good at unburdening myself and finding a new direction to go in. also it's not scientific at all

lap band surgery is the cake equivalent of when you handcuff a junkie to a radiator
[account deactivated]