[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
fwiw i like your bike. your bike is chill and as a bronze internet surfer dude, i enjoy it. i was just trying to impress upon everyone the importance of leg and back strength.

the main reason i got a cruiser was 1. fenders mean no mud on back and 2. it can fit my basket of food so i dont have to buy food while "on the go". i was going to class with a backpack on my back full of books and a cooler of food in the basket as well as a complete change of clothes and gym shoes; can't do that with a normie bike.

do you do skids with the coaster brake
not really but i remember doing the thing where you ride on the side of your bike (standing on a pedal) once on campus to make it look like you're not riding it( get yelled at for riding bike on campus); my thing that i liked was trying to ride with no hands, turning with no hands, etc - i was riding on really flat roads
[account deactivated]

Horselord posted:

that's interesting but how come you kiss your mother on the mouth

[account deactivated]
knights helmet and paper mache lance, everywhere, every day, boom, winning

roseweird posted:

on that note rhizzone i want to ask why don't cyclists wear full face helmets???? like it seems there is hardly any point to a regular helmet because if you fall you're probably going to land on your face, since you have forward momentum, not the top of your head. i dunno if there have been any studies of bicycle crashes, but in motorcycle crashes the jaw/lower face is one of the most commonly impacted areas

this is all completely true. the legal standards in the eu (EN 1078) for example throws bike helmets in for ones for skateboarding and roller blades, which is just lol. they're literally tested up against the expectation that if you fall off of a stationary bicycle and bump your head on the floor that you won't get a skull fracture (1.5m fall - 12.4mph impact speed)

so yeah most bicycle helmets are completely inadequate for tangling with motor vehicle traffic. not that it stops goons raging "WEAR A HELMET RETARD!!!" as if preserving your skull shape matters much when the mortician insists on closed casket

Edited by Horselord ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Just managed to hit two trash cans in the bike lane at full speed and fucking snapped my frame and did something to my shoulder. I don't know how I didn't see them but it was raining and dark and my light wasnt that bright. Should have seen me out there screaming obscenities as I replaced the cans to an upright position and dragged my bike down the sidewalk. Winner here.
[account deactivated]
Dang, steg. Were the trash cans right in the bike lane? Because if they were that would be infuriating. I hope that you did not bother to replace any trash that may have fallen out after righting the cans.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I just check a clock and map out my route afterward and do math
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
got a really nice new bike. a fuji saratoga touring bike with full ass fenders (...) and a rear rack. it has annoying shifters and brakes that im probably going to replace but thats mostly a cosmetic thing.

roseweird posted:

sorry steg :( hope your shoulder is not hurt bad

thank you. i have some small tears in my rotator cuff so im taking a few days off. i got some hydrocodone so i am doin pretty ok. no permanent damage. i will miss that bike though.

has it got friction shifters, i love those things but they took me like a year to learn
no theyre indexed. theyre on the end of the handlebars which is annoying. i prefer them on the down tube.
[account deactivated]
i experimented with a indexed downtube setup but getting the shifters to move smoothly was impossible. they needed a lot of force to shift gear and then they wouldn't trim themselves so id have to do it manually, completely defeating the point. i owned myself buying sunrace i guess
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
fuck bicycle thieves!
[account deactivated]
hello rhizzone time for the horselord bike update

racer converted to touring bike, loaded with camping stuff (not shown), lowered gears and brakes (not shown) going to be pressed into service as soon as my landlord gets a court order to remove me from the premises. i'm going through southern england, france, belgium, holland then eventually germany and i dunno after that

engine-bike was dismantled because of the above going to not have a home soon thing, frame was damaged from riding it at a skate park so left for the scrap man. wheels, handlebar etc fitted to a spare frame to build a complete bike, going to be sold or donated soon

NEW VERY OLD BIKE:

despite not having much more time left in the country, i spotted something i'd wanted for years very cheap. maybe there's a home for it in the netherlands

Raleigh Superbe - the all steel bicycle

3 speed sturmey archer with Dynohub lighting, rod operated brakes, even a built in lock in the fork. in 70 years the biggest change was the decision to put a cheaper saddle on somewhere in the late 60s

its hard to describe what it's like, the sensation is nothing like any other bike i've ridden. its a bit weird because it refuses to be pedalled fast but even mild downhills cause rapid acceleration
reminder for 3/30 that cycling is an extremely revolutionary activity http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/canadian-cyclist-detained-by-maoist-foot-soldiers-in-chhattisgarh/story-kf7yyauKYrPG2efhAz1z6O.html
btw horselord i heard that people used to die all the time on like the Tour de France back in the 70s because they only had steel frames, and if you wipe out going downhill the frame is heavy enough to drag you down the hill with it for like 100 miles, anything like this happen to you yet? hoping no
no put i ollml-=j l===li-yy9y00ool00ooooooo

had to pull dirt out of the keyboard there whatever anyway i'm still squatting this bedsit rn because the building owner fucked up filling out the eviction paperwork. i finally got my replacement debit card from the bank so i guess i'm leaving sunday or whatever
Bike helmets don't protect your face because it's rare that someone will die from landing on their face. Front of skull is very thick and although it'll hurt a lot you won't die (unlike in the case of landing on the side or back of your skull, which only needs an impact at 20kmh to be lethal)

My old man has raced motorbikes since the days when they wore open faced helmets. He's been thrown up the road on his face a lot so nowadays he has fake teeth, a fucked nose and no feeling in his lips. I remember as a little kid seeing him with hamburger meat where his chin should've been. Anyway falling on his face never killed him comparable crashes where the side of his head was exposed would've left his brains scattered up the road
motorbike helmets are a lot thicker and stronger than bicycle helmets and i dunno why you bring up this million year old point of conversation
No need to be a bitch about it horse man