[account deactivated]
http://thatincelblogger.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/why-youre-probably-a-feminist-or-their-useful-idiot-and-a-12-step-programme-on-how-to-stop-being-one/
yfB7vF7nCdA
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Lykourgos posted:

TG posted:

lykourgos do you ever make sentencing recommendations inspired by classical thought? like do you ever ask that as a condition of probation the defendant be tied to a rock to have his liver eaten by an eagle? or in lieu of a life sentence to prison he be forced to repeatedly push a rock uphill for the rest of his life?

Yes, but obviously I can't recommend a sentence that doesn't comply with sentencing requirements. A lot of mythological punishments aren't practical, but they can be inspiring, and I also like to consider texts like Plato's Laws. Unfortunately, the institutions we have aren't currently geared towards carrying out a lot of classical sentences, some sentences are considered "unconstitutional", and judges aren't always inclined to go along with recommendations.

its debatable whether these punishments are cruel but its a sound indictment of these benighted times that people would consider them unusual

Lykourgos, what are some good Hollywood flicks set in the classical era?

roseweird posted:

yes we tried it for the first time lat year, and gathered at the appointed date with our respective followers, but we are far in time and space from eleusis and delos and delphi so we simply marched a few miles to queens boulevard chanting and wailing and when we reached queens plaza we ascended to the platform and began pouring honey milk and grain over the passing cars. it was not beautiful but we live not in beautiful times and we do what we must. o gods please purify this earth

Nice; it's important to bring the Classics to life whenever possible, so I hope you keep this sort of behaviour up. If you truly care about the Classics I'm sure you'll do everything to ensure their continued influence.

MadMedico posted:

Lykourgos, what are some good Hollywood flicks set in the classical era?

Hmm tough question, I don't watch that many movies to begin with, but the ones that come to mind are all pretty awful. 300, Troy, Clash of Titans, Gladiator... they're just horrendous. I guess movies like Agora were a little better, it's been a while since I watched that one, but our standards are really low. There was that American version of Harry Potter that had a classical theme which was kind of interesting; it was set in the modern world, so it let people make up new tales rather than pervert old ones, which was nice.

There were a couple of watchable television shows; they were inaccurate at times, but they weren't as ridiculous or offensive as 300. HBO Rome and I, Claudius are two examples. They weren't perfect, and they did occasionally depart the grey area of historical uncertainty and enter fiction, but I enjoyed them.

Until the proper regulations are put in place, there's not much hope that we'll see a good blockbuster hit. I hope some other posters can suggest movies, though; if there are a few good ones out there I'll happily sit down to watch them.

Edited by gyrofry ()

Hercules in New York was another great Hollywood moment

Lykourgos posted:

I hope some other posters can suggest movies, though; if there are a few good ones out there I'll happily sit down to watch them.

airplane! and fletch

[account deactivated]

Lykourgos posted:

Until the proper regulations are put in place, there's not much hope that we'll see a good blockbuster hit. I hope some other posters can suggest movies, though; if there are a few good ones out there I'll happily sit down to watch them.

The Pre-code Cecil DeMille drama The Sign of the Cross is a hoot.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023470/

gyrofry posted:

Old Schwarzenegger

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I love lykourgos as a men loved one another in the good times of yore
I love roseweird like sensitive Frenchman love his mother
[account deactivated]