[account deactivated]
history is important and lykourgos is right
music is terrible and people who care about it are trash
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i've started listening to a top dance music hits channel most of the day because it's strangely pleasant to listen to the same 20 songs again and again.
thats some pretty terrible music once again t paine
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

i've started listening to a top dance music hits channel most of the day because it's strangely pleasant to listen to the same 20 songs again and again.

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i don't, you can listen to whatever you want just like the millions of people listening to miley cyrus and taylor swift, good to know you don't think you know any better than they do

just because you feel like king of depression mountain doesn't mean you can bad talk taylor swift you ass

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

sometimes i have to stop and remember that this forum is full of people who once purchased backstreet boys albums

maybe you should stop and listen to some CASS MCCOMBS

deadken posted:

lol who believes in 'historical' 'accuracy' in the Year of Our Lyotard Twenty 'So Pomo' Fourteen

Many people believe in respecting our ancestors and maintaining appropriate depictions of the past. That involves historical accuracy, and we don't need to put that in quotation marks.

There are times when the historical record contradicts itself, and there are times when great minds may differ as to the exact events that occurred, but that doesn't describe what Hollywood is doing with history. Hollywood is erasing the historical record and replacing it with an offensive mockery. This hurts our ancestors, ourselves, and our progeny, and will make the world a worse place in general.

The issue is deeply important to people who want to see the world become a better place.

Agnus_Dei posted:

history is important and lykourgos is right

Indeed; it is not weird or unusual to talk about defending and promoting that which is important, and history is definitely one of those things. Thanks for the response.

[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

what issue

The issue of Hollywood's offensive depiction of the past; how it is harmful and offensive to our ancestors, ourselves, and our children. It hurts society and should be put to an end. Was the article not clear? That is an honest question; if you think a certain point or two needed to be expanded upon, please let me know. I didn't want to let it get much longer than a 1000 words.

roseweird posted:

are you going to make a thread on the issue of how hercules name is really herakles. you could set up a speaking tour...

No, and in the article I just go with the usual spelling of popular names like Themistocles and Thucydides.

roseweird posted:

you don't celebrate the ancient holidays or honor the gods of hellas you ridiculous poseur. if you really cared, you would enlist a large group of inmates to chant the chants and carry the symbols of divinity and sacred offerings in the holiday processions

No, but I understand that you are just exaggerating for effect. Fundamentally speaking, you are right in the sense that inmates should be rehabilitated by reading the Classics and living a more positive lifestyle. Thank you for the suggestion; have you tried organising such a procession before?

roseweird posted:

no one is going to be watching this movie in a hundred years any more than they are reading prometheus unbound now.

lykourgos' existence is less funny to me than it is to any of you because i Care About The Classics

Well governed people will study the Classics no matter what year it is. Anyway, I am glad that you care so much about the Classics. I hope you promote them whenever possible and ensure that they continue to exert great influence over us.

tpaine posted:

ilmdge posted:

tpaine posted:

sometimes i have to stop and remember that this forum is full of people who once purchased backstreet boys albums

maybe you should stop and listen to some CASS MCCOMBS

he's no thom yorke

https://myspace.com/cassmccombs/music/song/tourist-woman-29905824-40425160

lykourgos do you ever make sentencing recommendations inspired by classical thought? like do you ever ask that as a condition of probation the defendant be tied to a rock to have his liver eaten by an eagle? or in lieu of a life sentence to prison he be forced to repeatedly push a rock uphill for the rest of his life?
[account deactivated]

TG posted:

lykourgos do you ever make sentencing recommendations inspired by classical thought? like do you ever ask that as a condition of probation the defendant be tied to a rock to have his liver eaten by an eagle? or in lieu of a life sentence to prison he be forced to repeatedly push a rock uphill for the rest of his life?

Yes, but obviously I can't recommend a sentence that doesn't comply with sentencing requirements. A lot of mythological punishments aren't practical, but they can be inspiring, and I also like to consider texts like Plato's Laws. Unfortunately, the institutions we have aren't currently geared towards carrying out a lot of classical sentences, some sentences are considered "unconstitutional", and judges aren't always inclined to go along with recommendations.